Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1184102815695802376

Also quick reads is up: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2019/week-6-quick-reads

The best QB performance of the week, of course it's Kirk Cousins.

The worst? Man is the bottom 5 just dire this week:

quote:

26. Goff only picked up one first down in this game, and it came with the Rams down by 13 points with less than four minutes left in the fourth quarter. In San Francisco territory, he went 4-of-7 for 12 yards and no first downs. On third and fourth downs, he went 2-of-8 for 3 yards with two sacks and no first downs. On throws to his left, he went 6-of-10 for 26 yards and no first downs. On throws that traveled at least 10 yards downfield, he went oh-for-five ... and no first downs. He would rank even lower, but he gets a big boost in opponent adjustments (63 DYAR) for playing San Francisco, and he did at least manage to avoid interceptions.

27. Daniel Jones.
28. Marcus Mariota
29. Jameis Winston. We wrote over a thousand words about what a terrible day Jameis Winston had and he wasn't even the worst quarterback of the week. This is partly because he gained 70 DYAR due to opponent adjustments (the Panthers aren't as good as the Patriots or 49ers, but opponent adjustments add up, and Winston had 61 dropbacks), and partly because the Dolphins are just ruining the whole season for everybody.
30. Josh Rosen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mariota could still go be a backup for a few years and hopefully settle into a system and become the QB he always could be for a late career renaissance type situation

Winston just seems like he'll always be a chuck & duck guy, and that's just not gonna work.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

^^ Yeah, exactly. Trevor Siemian is the Vikings backup QB, Matt Barkley is the Bills, Brett Hundley on the Cardinals.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I think Mariota is probably done. If there is a time to turn his career now it is right now.

Guys who don't turn the ball over much and can caretake an offense will always have a job in the league though. Blake Bortles has a job, Mariota could easily bounce around the league for like 15 more years.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

I don't know that I would say Blake Bortles doesn't turn the ball over much. He averages just under 10 fumbles plus 15 INT's a year, and he did't play a full season his last year. At the very least I'd say he definitely gives the other team the opportunity to take the ball away lol

Yeah, I kind of went off on a tangent when I refreshed and saw Adaz's post.

In a world where Bortles and all the other aggressively bad backups exist, Mariota is a valued backup, who's probably gonna be making Bridgewater money for the next decade.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So Peters got old and the Rams basically traded him as a salary dump it sounds like?

Oh Marcus Peters is 26? lol, nevermind.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shirts status: Printed.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DVOA: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2019/week-6-dvoa-ratings

quote:

The final game that had a surprising DVOA result was the Tua Bowl between Miami and Washington. Although the Dolphins almost won with a final two-point conversion, Washington dominated in terms of DVOA. Well, as much as you can dominate when both teams are in the negative: -9.8% DVOA for Washington, and -54.9% DVOA for Miami. Washington had more yards per play (5.4 to 3.9) and Miami had two interceptions and two fumbles while Washington had zero interceptions and one fumble. (None of the three fumbles ended up as turnovers.) Four different Miami drives went backwards, while the only Washington "drive" that went backwards was the final kneeldown.

A -54.9% rating is still the best game of the season for the Dolphins but it keeps them comfortably in first place as the worst team we've ever tracked in 34 years of DVOA ratings. Once again, they continue to be among the worst teams ever on both offense and defense. Here's a look at those tables. Ratings for the 1987 Atlanta Falcons do not include the strike games from Week 4-6.

:coolfish:

Also 9 of the top 12 teams are in the NFC currently

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Extreme missing the game to go to a piano recital energy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gotta take Jax and Cason to 5am hockey practice energy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This feels like a 4 fumble kind of performance for Fitz

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

We just discovered in the AFC East thread that if you are sick of penalties and want the refs to cut that poo poo out, you need to be watching... the Dolphins.

They've been called for HALF as many penalties as the Browns or Falcons (28), and have benefitted from the least penalties as well, 33, with the Titans having had 56 benefit them.

Good, fundamental football there folks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

On Sundays just kick off two games every hour one on each CBS / FOX and just let them aggressively cut between them as the situation warrants when your home team isn't playing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Then how would they force us to watch the Dallas Cowboys eat rear end

What if the Cowboys were everyone's local team?

-----------------------

Anyway, this dude is p. good at his job:

https://twitter.com/Bryndon/status/1184502767617839104

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I have a hunch this happens because jerry jones wants cowboys games to have as little competition as possible.

I prefer the Patriots' approach to that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

We're gonna get a 17 game schedule where the 17th game is a neutral site international game, an extra bye week, a third wild card, and relaxed weed testing

Yeah, I'm pretty okay with that all in all.

First step towards my master plan of creating an international incident between the NFL and China.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Coughlin seems to have a lot of friends in the building:

https://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/1184490504035192832

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

I could be remembering wrong but I think a lot of people made fun of the Matt Ryan pick

Yeah, there were 3 consecutive years before 2008 where the 1st round QB's were dogshit (Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn) that goons were super down on taking QB's early.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

rjmccall posted:

So 1 extra game a year would have to be unsystematic, right? With two extra games you could play another in-conference rank (so the 1st-ranked teams also play the 2nd-ranked teams), or you could stop playing the same-rank teams and just play another whole division. But I can’t see how you’d fit in just one more game without either having arbitrary differences (like just playing some random other team that you aren’t already playing) or really radically changing the basic setup (like not playing your division twice).

The move that would make the most sense imo would be to play the team in the opposite conference that you played two years ago that finished in the same rank. Right now you only play a team in the opposing conference once every 4 years, and this would give a few more opportunities for sweet matchups. For example, that'd give us a Patriots-Saints game this year, and Brady has faced Brees three times ever.

So AFC East plays the NFC East this year, and played the NFC South two years ago, so we'd have had:

AFC E vs NFC S
Patriots - Saints
Dolphins - Falcons
Bills - Panthers
Jets - Buccaneers

AFC N vs NFC N
Ravens - Bears
Steelers - Vikings
Browns - Packers
Bengals - Lions

AFC S vs NFC W
Texans - Rams
Colts - Seahawks
Titans - 49ers
Jaguars - Cardinals

AFC W vs NFC E
Chiefs - Cowboys
Chargers - Eagles
Broncos - Washington
Raiders - Giants

So that'd be a pretty good slate of games, and help out parity and whatnot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He’s gonna miss the Packers and Vikings games which is going to really gently caress the Chiefs.

Even if they lose those two games, nobody else is running away with the 2nd bye, so they can still be in contention for that, and at least non-conference games don't hurt much there.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

OxySnake posted:

Oakland goons, what is up with the Raiders?

They beat Indy, they smacked Den around in the opener, they out muscled the Bears, but they looked completely flat against the Vikings and KC.

Are they good? Is their secondary just bad? I cant get a handle on them tbh.

It's a real mystery, but they play the Packers this Sunday which is probably going to tell us a lot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I've read / listened to so many explanations of what the Colts were trying to do there and it still all just boils down to 'lol'.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Aye Doc posted:

please show me them, because what the absolute heck. so they're not supposed to snap the ball, right? because it looks like absolutely nobody away from the ball for the colts moves at all

e: my brain will not rest until this is solved and already i have more questions than answers

why did this have to happen.

In addition to what Pat said, the worst case scenario is you have no intention of snapping the ball, so you just take a 5 yard delay of game of illegal formation penalty and that's that.

But they had an injury during the game, so the wrong snapper was in, AND on top of that, they decided at the last minute to add a hardcount fake to try and draw an offsides somehow?

Anyway, instead the guy snaps the ball and... something much worse then expected happens.

In general a well prepared team can and should show the opposing team something super weird when a 5 yard penalty won't cost them anything, because if you get them confused, you either get a lane for a big gain or get them to blow a timeout or do some fuckup. The problem is when you aren't a well prepared team.... that can happen.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The GDT went nuts when that happened.

Found it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747432&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=39

Athanatos posted:

are you gently caress rear end kidding me

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BradyThaKing

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Larch posted:

Thanks. I feel like I used to be able to find them easily.

NFL posts a gamebook pdf for each game but it may miss players who don't play a snap in the game, which may make it less useful then PFR's snapcounts tracker: https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/57978/NE_Gamebook.pdf You can find them on each game's page.

Football Outsiders also has a snapcounts tracker: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Also unrelated, but Sports Info Solutions made a bunch of their data public and searchable, so if you want stats on what a bunch of nerds think are catchable balls or which WR's get thrown to the most or completed air yards or breakdowns of pressures vs hurries and coverage stats, it's neat to look at:

https://www.sisdatahub.com/leaderboards/QB

Kalli fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 20, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Larch posted:

I don't know how Arthur Blank became wealthy, but if wasn't brains.

He whacked all the other heads of the five families.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cris Collinsworth is on the Epstein flight logs:

https://twitter.com/chiweethedog/status/1186081782807945217

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Don't need a GM if you got no way to add players in the future.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I think it might be worse to end up with one of these guys and spin your wheels for five years than get someone like Paxton Lynch ego immediately fails.

I dunno, Paxton led to the Broncos immediately drafting another bad QB and signing Flacco, who is just like the halfway point between bad Mariota and bad Winston in playstyle.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

At least they could cut their loses and move on.

I dunno, I think that being able to cut losses quickly means the people who made the awful decision don't turn over, so they're just probably going to make another awful decision.

Also I generally think QB's are as much a product of their surroundings as natural talent, and teams quickly moving on from trash fire QB's are mostly creating those trash fires, and just likely to create more of them.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 21, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It also means you're not potentially wasting the primes of the other players on your roster.

I guess, but looking at the coaches / OC's of the Titans since Mariota's been there, who wouldn't they have wasted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Winston's a different story. Dude loving loves not protecting the ball. We knew coming out of college he'd have to change how he played or fizzle out, and he never changed, but the Buccaneers didn't cut bait because he'd throw a dozen balls to Mike Evans for 150 yards which was great except that it'd also come with 3 ints and fumbles.

Should've realized he wasn't going to change after the 20th game like that and prepared to move on.