Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Rise to Ruins, A Real Time Strategy Roguelike Survival Defense Town Management game with a twist!
A game where I will be taking on the role of a god trying to rise his people from simple nomads to a mighty civilization. The island will be colonised, buildings will be built and cities founded.
Shame about the corruption and the hordes of monsters its spewing into the area.

Every night, the corruption will spread, and monsters will flow from their lands into mine - so it will be a race against time to get my settlement up and running, putting up walls and towers to help my people survive.

The corruption can be fought to some extent, fires and watch towers will stop its spread, but will I last long enough to feel secure?

Watch and find out!

[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Aw, yes!

I've been waiting for you to get to this gem of a game since I suggested it!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Last Transmission posted:

Aw, yes!

I've been waiting for you to get to this gem of a game since I suggested it!

The release candidate has been so close, now it's out! as it took me a day to get the thread out, here's another video!

[

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

About your water situation: Ouch!
I tend to build a well or two at the start because they slowly but constantly produce clean water, are fairly cheap and you don't need to hope it rains soon.

As you found out when you needed more building slots: the first few camp upgrades are cheap and each level boosts every task in your entire town on top.

And yeah, labour is your biggest shortage until you survive about a game-year in a map when you are well established.
Then you can start thinking about sending your surplus people and goods out to neighbouring regions.

I have quite the tip for you, too: You have many more spells at your disposal than what you see initially!
Click the dots under a spell to open the menu to select whatever you want for that slot.

I replace the fireball spell with "conjure material" because having more basic wood, stone, veggies and crystals magically pop into existence depending on which resources are nearby doesn't actually confuse the villagers and they keep working during that time!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[

Ahh, its time to get the main production buildings up! and resurrect someone.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
This seemed fun, so I got it on Steam yesterday (on sale right now!).

Got my village up to about 30 people when I lost almost a third to starvation. Any idea what a good ratio is for farms per villagers? One apparently doesn't cut it anymore at those pop levels.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

No idea yet! The new update redid food and I've not played it much!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[

I get hit, and hit hard.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[

After yesterdays disaster, I try expanding the defenses...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[

My people try starving to death. mainly due to my lack of attention. the slackers!

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Yeah, that happened to me too. Bunch of people died because I neglected food.
Also the only (or at least simplest) thing actually keeping the corruption in check is putting fire pits everywhere (or at least in a line from one end of the map to the other). It will spread through water and mountains. Pushing it back is tedious, much easier to contain it beforehand.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[

I can get them killed, but I can also bring them back!

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Well that was very painful watching your builders get picked off right in front of you because you want to build a ballista tower outside your walls near some very hostile bow towers for some reason.
It'll get bumrushed the moment it's up and running, too. And your fletcher is at risk since they reload the relevant towers and walk all around the building perimeter to drop off ammo.

I haven't seen you upgrade your existing towers, too.
You get more bang per shot each time and you can eventually upgrade them with elemental damage at the cost of essence per shot.
Ballistas get extra range on top as well. Fully upgraded ballistas get really silly at how far they can reach.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah. There was some sunk cost fallacy going on there.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[

More walls! more towers! more resurrections!

I'm going to have to push north soon to cut off the corruption. Moving quickly to push it back before it gets to large.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Any reason you are not building a maintenance facility? A lot of your Buildings are damaged...

edit: also regarding treasure chests: If you click on them a few times they jump around, usually closer to your village. Not sure if you have to do it fast, but I usually just spamclick it a few times.

SOLarian fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 24, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Lack of people. I'll get around to it soon. I want to get the corruption locked down first.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[

I use fire to keep the evil at bay. I manage to stop the spread of the corruption northward.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[

I finish sealing off the corruption to the north.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Make sure there is no corruption on the other side of that last fire pit on top. Just because it is no longer connected to the main part doesn't mean it won't stop growing.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[

I try to push the corruption back.....
Lets see how that goes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[

Things go poorly to the north.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[

I start trying to recover after a disastrous adventure in the north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
In the next map (if you do decide to try again with what you know from this game), I'd suggest only having a single entrance to your town and block the other ways in with curtain walls. They're special in that they prevent Spectres from traversing them, like they can't go through forest or mountains.