Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

GOON FRIEND CODES
robot roll call SW-2142-7039-8040
bushisms.txt SW-3499-6684-7486
LeafyOrb SW-3184-4832-9901
Junpei Hyde SW-7930-5907-2202
njsykora SW-3268-7789-9768
Blackbelt Bobman SW-2662-4564-1515
Soysaucebeast SW-2507-2988-9383
dihaploidy SW-7017-0648-4603

Price: $79.99/99.99CAD/£69.99 Digital only available in Japan

Adventure Mode
Explore a fantastical adventure world to defeat a bodybuilding dragon and his minions using real-life exercises! Traverse grass-swept plains by jogging in place, attack enemies with overhead shoulder presses, and refill your health meter by striking some yoga poses.

The new Ring-Con™ and Leg Strap accessories respond to your real-world movements, allowing the game to turn them into in-game actions. With additional minigames and customizable workout routines, Ring Fit Adventure is a great escape for players of all skill levels and schedules.

Silent Mode
Multiple reasons don't allow for jogging in place, so you can change that.

Challenges and Minigames
Take a quick sweat break with bite-sized minigames and challenges, or pass the Ring-Con to a friend and compare scores!

Custom mode

Create customized workout routines that mix exercises and minigames. Worried about waking the neighbors? Try Silent Mode for a quieter workout.

Multitask mode
Grab your Ring-Con and go for an off-screen adventure! Press and pull the Ring-Con to gain reps that you can sync with your game later.

Reviews

Goon Online Leaderboards

robot roll call posted:

People were wondering if there was something like the gyms in Wii Fit... it looks like there are friend leaderboards that let you compare workouts. You can also gift people any presses you do in the multitask mode if you want. My code is SW-2142-7039-8040 if anyone wants someone to compare with!

Goon Testimonials, more added as they appear

bushisms.txt posted:

First thing I checked was the leg strap, had to make sure it could fit around my voluptuous thighs. Can safely say it's goon approved.

Gentleman Baller posted:

So I've played around with Ring Fit Adventure for two 20 minute sessions now (one adventure mode, and one custom training) and I have to say so far it's passed all my expectations, so here is a quick, early review.

20 minutes in adventure mode isn't really enough to get a good gauge of all the RPG mechanics, but the art is good, and the collectibles (only coins and XP so far) thrown around the level makes it a relatively fun, or at least low-level engaging, way to keep the heart rate up with cardio between workouts (the encounters). For me, cutting weight and keeping cardio up has always been the hardest part of being fit and I'm pretty impressed by this so far.

The exercises themselves are great. Not only do they have the guided body weight resistance exercises all these games have, but I'm genuinely surprised at what the ring itself adds. As an example, back when I went to the gym, fly presses were my favourite exercise. There's really nothing quite like the burn you get isolating the pectorals, and to my shock the ring gives you a really simple way to do it.

As for accessibility, I have rheumatoid arthritis, a disease that basically made me give up the gym. I thought being able to choose from the big variety on exercises was good enough as an accessibility option for me, but game does another thing, in addition. If you go into the settings you can find an option that lets you use buttons instead of motion to do the exercises that stress your choice of areas. I'm not really sure how I feel about this to be honest. I feel like it kind of enables people like me to do some of the exercises until the pain is too much, at which point they can finish the rest of the set with buttons at no penalty. That would be incredibly bad idea. Maybe most people don't have that voice in the back of their head telling them to push themselves, rise above their disability, but according to my doctor, many do. Still, it works for me. Some days some of my joints shouldn't be used, but other days they can, and not having to go into the options menu each time is kind of nice. Regardless, if you have a disability this game could accommodate you but please consult your doctor. Trust me, they will be very impressed with you.

I've seen a lot of people on the internet echo Nintendo's official stance; this game isn't an exercise solution but can be part of an exercise plan. I think this is wrong. You can get real fit with only yoga and cardio, and you can get real fit with only bodyweight resistance training and cardio, so you can, almost by definition, get real fit with this game. If you want to lose weight and get a good, base level of strength all over, I feel confident in saying this is a fantastic solution. The only problem with that plan, really, is that the ring and strap can't measure your form on their own and it is so, so important for getting the most from the exercise, and to avoid injury/long term damage. Either get a friend, or record yourself to check your form for each exercise just to make sure.

Junkie Disease posted:

Full disclosure, If you don't regularly exercise at all and this game asks you how much you exercise, don't be a tough guy, don't a fool, call me.
I'll tell ya to tell the truth, pull up your adult pants and dig deep, this job/game will kill you and the people that surrounding you in life and who rooted for you will know your a fraud.
Tell the game/world the truth you're a clown, fat, stupid and unqualified,
but with a little help Ring Fit Adventure can mold you into a better person
or we'll throw you out

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

First thing I checked was the leg strap, had to make sure it could fit around my voluptuous thighs. Can safely say it's goon approved.

I have a desk bike I want to use instead of jogging in place, hope that's possible.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I need to put the silent mode in the OP, I see.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Depending on when you get the things they need, there are a couple other modes and a bunch of mini games you can do that can target whatever you want. Just think of adventure mode as the campaign.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Just finished the first world and poked around with the custom mode and alarms. I'm going to try to do a world a day, so we'll see how that goes.

I usually don't do yoga, but the game ensures, at least in my head, that I'm kind of doing them correctly instead of just looking at an insanely flexible person frown at me as i try to match them. I also like the way they kind of force you into moves you don't want to do in battles via cooldowns, but you can also "cheat" and save the more manageable moves for the last stretch.

I have mine set to silent mode and I've been using my desk bike. It does track, but it takes a second to get on the bike and silent mode tracks more movements so your character will cheat you out of some steps. But i feel that's only an issue on the first world as I'm sure the jogging will have longer distances. Just be sure to hop on right after a battle and you're good.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Been doing the multi task mode and found you have to cash in every 500. I do like that it counts pulling as well as squeezing the ring.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Just found out you can only cash in for yourself once a day but then you can send your xp to people on your friends list. So please send me your energy and I'll show you mine

SW-3499-6684-7486

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I skipped yesterday and just did two sets of ring presses, so today I focused on mostly doing leg routines during the campaign. I like how the ring itself keeps you feeling engaged and not really cheating yourself. And I'm first in silent leg lifts for my age group globally!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Hey guy who invented planks, gently caress you

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

For squats, i have to go a little wider than shoulder and drop more than 90 for a great to read consistently, might have to do with how far out you hold the ring, I've been kind of experimenting with it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I don't care for sporta's rivers. My knees can only lift so much

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

It was said that if you spend 30 minutes a day, it'll take at least 3 months or so to complete the campaign. That's not including going back and clearing each levels extras or all the minigames you can do on the side whenever.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The biggest thing for me is how it's introducing different exercises that I would normally refuse on sight. Never doing planks was something I was oddly proud about, but the game makes it so each "skill" has its own perks. Now I'm actually focusing on if my form is correct and the game tells you what muscles you're working on, along with the joycon alignment, makes it all feel like a digital trainer who doesn't give you disappointing looks.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yeah take your time. The game will ask you before and after every subsequent session how you felt about the intensity and whether you want to maintain, bump up or go down and by how much.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Oh yeah and they get longer. Just do the multi task mode for the day and rest. If you feel you really need a workout, hit up some of the arm based mini games.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Skipped today as we're out of town at the in laws, but ended up literally pulling trees across our ranch, so i got my workout in. Gonna try to get a few levels in tomorrow if the power stays on.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Gonna need your switch code, it's in the friends tab.

We can start a list if folks want

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yes, every time you start a mode it will ask who is playing.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Countblanc posted:

any time i do ab guard my right shoulder starts screaming when i release the pose so i guess my body is broken, nice.

I hope you're not pulling too hard. It's more just pressing the ring against your stomach while you flex your abs, the game mentions where to target.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Sliced the bottom of my toe off last week so I've been taking a break until it healed. Reluctantly started back up again today and made myself do a bunch of planks to make up lost time. Big mistake but i needed a good cry.

Also, i think they added a vibration sensitivity setting and you can turn it to high so you can feel the joycons vibrating while doing off screen exercises, the vibrating signals how long you hold.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 5, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

That happens to me too, and i just assume my thumb is too fat for a proper read.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Tesh posted:

Folks who have been playing consistently since launch - have you noticed any loss in weight or inches?

My arms are noticeably firmer, and my boobs are slowly morphing into a chest from constant ring presses. I've been losing weight steadily without ring fit but wasn't doing the work to tighten up my skin. I took a before picture and I'm hoping in a couple months it'll look dramatically different, but I can already see some changes.

Also i love to eat late at night, and so my new cheat food has been hard Cheddar cheese. Satiates that need to chew, and is literally nothing calorie wise. I swear i poop better the next day too.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 7, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The Walrus posted:

almonds are a much better calorie dense food to munch a couple of to help sate hunger vs cheese

are you guys really recommending cheese? I shouldn't even recommend almonds.

I'll say i would eat nuts but I'm allergic, so i do cheese.

I've had cheese for a late night snack for the last 4 months and I've lost 60+ pounds doing so. Not saying it's for everyone, i know lactose and other things, but for me, i feel better the next day when i get my cheese.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i haven't done a plank in forever since the attack isn't high enough. the high attack moves i currently have seem way easy??? like standing hip shake and the warrior poses. at least wide squat still rips.

I think at a certain point it's more what you want to focus on. I keep planks just to have a deep butt workout.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been thinking about buying a yoga mat for this game? My carpeted open space where I can normally exercise is not near the TV, which is in a room with hardwood floors

We have a yoga mat and butt pad, because the mat is good for planks, but i need something for my tailbone.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mountain climbers bad

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Good shout. We've got yoga blocks, time to bust them out

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you have like a low table/chair or an ottoman that won’t slide, those also work and will put you slightly higher. But i haven’t tried it so I don’t know how low you have to be to get the game to register your position.

Its just based on the position of the left leg. I was already crushed by the time I got to the climbers, dumb leg set gym, so I cheated the startup because gently caress holding that position.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yup, today I just did Allegra's test, and it was just squats rotating with knee lifts, and I had to start resting between squats. By the third battle I knew it was all I was gonna do for the day.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What about Thigh Squeezes or whatever it’s called. That one is super easy. I just unlocked the overhead wide squats and am excited/terrified to try them since I basically always cheat at wide squats by resting my elbows on my knees.

Knee Lifts are the best though, reminds me of being in a circle pit at a punk/ska show.

Edit: lol you can unlock Warrior III, yeah right like I would voluntarily do Warrior III
I forgot their name too lol I think thigh press. But after doing so many squats, the only way I could get a great reading was almost sitting on my calfs, they were killing me too. I was using the knee lifts as easier finishers since I could rush through them. I was also forcing myself to do more squats since it's a major target area for me.

Side note, I think it was mentioned that there's an achievement for so many days straight, but I think it just counts days, as I just got it but have been taking days off.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I'm out of town, but will put whatever friend codes I see in the thread up in the OP by Monday.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Agreed, we got on the road at 6 this morning, so I woke up at 5 and only did one level just to get one in. Then we got here and the in laws are cutting trees, so I helped with that. At one point I had to climb up into a 10 ft trailer and I swear I wouldn't have been able to a month ago.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scrolled through the thread and grabbed whatever friends codes I saw. Posted them at the top of the OP for less scrolling.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Looking at the rankings is a trip. By birth year globally I'm top 8~, but the nebulous acquaintance tab has me in the thousands. Do we know how that's measured? Friends of Friends? I'm just trying to keep the squat crown.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I just got this game and I'm running into a problem. I'm sure it's come up but I didn't spot it glancing through the thread.

The issue for me is that the leg strap doesn't stay on my fatty thighs. Now I'd like to think that this is because I've lost a lot of weight recently and all of my clothes have gotten pretty baggy so it's slinking down with my pants until it's loose, but let's be realistic here. Anyone have some good advice for getting it to stay on as I jog?

Same issue, invest in joggers or sweats. Shorts ended giving me the same issue where it would slip and turn once it reached a certain point. Also, maybe try a little higher up on the thigh? I had to raise it higher than recommended to get it to register properly and stay on.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Is that active or real time? I feel it's based on active going off my experience.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

It took me forever and a lot of extra energy figuring out you had to wait for the music tone before releasing on the squat jump pads.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Now do another set 😈

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

so how do I get the recipe for apple smoothies cause I have a side quest to get one

Next screen, then go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I do a mix of Paleo\keto where i focus on proteins and vegetables and cut out carbs\sugar. Biggest difficulty was cutting french fries and bread the first couple weeks. I found if you make a big deal\stand about it the first couple times, it becomes easier. As a burger fiend, lettuce wrapped burgers are legit.