Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I realize that in school they taught you to use print statements to trace your code. that’s amateur level poo poo. if you’re being paid to write code, it’s time to start using tools like a professional. learn how to use a debugger. I’ve debugged all kinds of code, from low level boot loaders whose only io was blinking a single LED to great big multithreaded monsters that spew gigs of logs. and I was able to use a debugger on all of them to make my life better and so can you.

when you start a project, the first thing you do after writing the boilerplate main function is get the debugger working. for most of you writing normal programs, it’s as easy as running the debugger that comes with your tool chain, zero effort. remember to add the debug symbols flags to your build. if you’re working with an embedded target or simulator or FPGA or gpu or whatever, it will take more work. whether it’s a debug server or jtag or ICE or some other nonsense, get that poo poo up and running before writing any more code. set up core dumps. get stack traces from crashes.

if you are asked to join a project, ask them how they debug. if they say printf tell them to get hosed. or fix that. whichever. but if they don’t want to fix it, definitely the former. if the language doesn’t support a debugger, it is a bad language and you should not use it. if your board doesn’t have a debug port, send it back to the idiots that made it and tell them it’s broken.

it’s time to put on our big boy pants and start acting like professionals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sir this is a wework

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what is code

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

I realize that in school they taught you to use print statements to trace your code. that’s amateur level poo poo. if you’re being paid to write code, it’s time to start using tools like a professional. learn how to use a debugger. I’ve debugged all kinds of code, from low level boot loaders whose only io was blinking a single LED to great big multithreaded monsters that spew gigs of logs. and I was able to use a debugger on all of them to make my life better and so can you.

when you start a project, the first thing you do after writing the boilerplate main function is get the debugger working. for most of you writing normal programs, it’s as easy as running the debugger that comes with your tool chain, zero effort. remember to add the debug symbols flags to your build. if you’re working with an embedded target or simulator or FPGA or gpu or whatever, it will take more work. whether it’s a debug server or jtag or ICE or some other nonsense, get that poo poo up and running before writing any more code. set up core dumps. get stack traces from crashes.

if you are asked to join a project, ask them how they debug. if they say printf tell them to get hosed. or fix that. whichever. but if they don’t want to fix it, definitely the former. if the language doesn’t support a debugger, it is a bad language and you should not use it. if your board doesn’t have a debug port, send it back to the idiots that made it and tell them it’s broken.

it’s time to put on our big boy pants and start acting like professionals.

lol

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

debuggers are just interactive printf

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
tell me how to use remote gdb/lldb with clion and rust please op. my target has such little memory that the the debug symbol file can't even fit on the device so i have printlns with a 20 min bitbake build it loving suuuuuuucks

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
ill give you my printf when you pry it from my cold, segfaulted hands

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

every time I connect symbolication takes 5-10 minutes

and a bunch of symbols are still missing anyway. and hopefully you're on the right thread because the process has 70+

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

gonadic io posted:

tell me how to use remote gdb/lldb with clion and rust please op. my target has such little memory that the the debug symbol file can't even fit on the device so i have printlns with a 20 min bitbake build it loving suuuuuuucks

why would you put the symbols on the device? symbols are for your debugger, they should stay on the host. load the unstripped image in the debugger when you connect.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

every time I connect symbolication takes 5-10 minutes

and a bunch of symbols are still missing anyway. and hopefully you're on the right thread because the process has 70+

are you pulling symbols from the execution image or from the debug binary? most compilers are pretty good at generating efficient lookup tables for symbols in debug data. they tend to get huge though. also you’re probably symbolizing a lot of libraries, possibly fetching their debug data from a remote machine if your environment is complex enough. have you tried caching them locally?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

sir this is a wework

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

gonadic io posted:

also implementing gdb protocol over uart is pretty easy if you just want to write your own stub.

the rust part I can’t help you with. despite what people keep saying, it’s unsuitable for systems programming.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

also implementing gdb protocol over uart is pretty easy if you just want to write your own stub.

the rust part I can’t help you with. despite what people keep saying, it’s unsuitable for systems programming.

I think the onus is on you to prove that last bit

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Using a debugger is computer vivisection

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

are you pulling symbols from the execution image or from the debug binary? most compilers are pretty good at generating efficient lookup tables for symbols in debug data. they tend to get huge though. also you’re probably symbolizing a lot of libraries, possibly fetching their debug data from a remote machine if your environment is complex enough. have you tried caching them locally?

nothing remote, but the binary in question is like 60MB when fully stripped (and doesn't fit on device if not)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i learned to use gdb in school, op

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
slam in jtag, start t32.
system.attach
break

blow deadlines.
external watchdog trips.
debugger aborted, cpu at exception vector. system safes.

ah yes, in circuit debugging. lemme just apply this .diff to disable safety critical code and do a 30 minute rebuild. that way no production image ever sees a debugger.

I hate the few tools I have. Maybe I should have bought a trace tool and not just a debugger.

Or maybe debugging rtos stuff is impossible.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
my boss isn't selling debuggers op

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i use sprintf to generate a variable dump and then have the system e-mail it to me. great for those mystery bugs that only happen in production.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Management posted:

to great big multithreaded monsters that spew gigs of logs.

Logs generated by printf?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

Or maybe debugging rtos stuff is impossible.

it’s very possible. you will usually need to teach your debugger about the thread model, and if you have a really good one it will know about your interrupt context.

if your watchdog tripped, you should halt and look at the state of all the threads. check the scheduler context for them, who is blocked on what, who is doing what, figure out why the deadline is blown instead of guessing.

why does your build take 30 minutes? is your build system written in python?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i learned to use gdb in school, op

good start.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

i write things that end up in production, op, so logging is a must

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i don’t get why you don’t just write the code well in the first place

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

echinopsis posted:

i don’t get why you don’t just write the code well in the first place

You use the debugger to show other people how sick your code is.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
badass

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The Management posted:

why does your build take 30 minutes? is your build system written in python?

Mine does, it's yocto. Full kernel build takes a few hours

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
the solution seems real simple to me. just program the computer to be faster

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I've seen webapps produce gigabytes worth of logs everyday, because the webapp was full of debug print statements. Not because it was receiving a lot of traffic.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

In my previous job I couldn't attach a debugger because a) the SoC didn't have enough free pins for an UART unless I disabled some important functionality, and b), parts of the board could potentially literally catastrophically fail if the execution stopped in an importune moment.

I didn't have access to printfs either though, had to do with debug registers.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

and by "enough" I mean any

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

current employer doesn't want us writing log files. "Everything must go through AWS CloudWatch, so says the SOP!"

cloudwatch has yet to be configured and probably won't be for some time as the team responsible for anything aws is on fire

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

it sounds like computers are bad

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

tell me how to live step-debug on 15 year old win CE 6 r3 devices, op

animist
Aug 28, 2018
just reimplement the system whenever there's a bug, OP

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

my boss isn't selling debuggers op

another day at the printf() factory

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Private Speech posted:

In my previous job I couldn't attach a debugger because a) the SoC didn't have enough free pins for an UART unless I disabled some important functionality, and b), parts of the board could potentially literally catastrophically fail if the execution stopped in an importune moment.

I didn't have access to printfs either though, had to do with debug registers.

sounds like the hardware designers really hosed up here. they picked a bad chip with a bad configuration. I suggest you return the board to whoever made it and tell them to fix their lovely design. debugging is not an option, it’s a requirement for software to work correctly.

Ciaphas posted:

tell me how to live step-debug on 15 year old win CE 6 r3 devices, op

install visual studio 6 or whatever it was at the time, get MTP going over a usb connection, live step debug. visual studio had an amazing debugger.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqDVtB-6jDE&hd=1

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I could have made a career out of telling hardware and ops people that their poo poo is broken because you can’t debug it. it amazes me that idiots still make boards that have no hard debug interfaces, or that significantly reduce functionality to enable debug.

at Apple, the low level software team signs off on schematics before they are approved. you can bet nothing gets signed off if it’s not debuggable. tell your boss and your PMs and your hardware folks that you will not be accepting undebuggable boards and you expect to sign off on designs and chip selections before they make the boards. so say we all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Management posted:

install visual studio 6 or whatever it was at the time, get MTP going over a usb connection, live step debug. visual studio had an amazing debugger.

realpost: tldr, but suffice to say MTP is seemingly impossible to get working, Hardware took the UART out of the "newest" revision, whatever module provides ActiveSync doesn't work reliably for debugging via IP, and even if by some miracle it DOES all work, the machine is too gutless to run a debug executable at anything other than unreasonable treacle-like speeds. we're on vs2005 for that so when it does work it at least works well, but yeesh what a fuckin farce to get there and god help me if what i need to test is buried behind slow-running actions

it's pretty crap but at least it's being greenfielded away to unix boxes in the next year (to Golang [ :| ] )