Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
one of the last teapot threads before he was permabanned was where he asserted that needing to use a debugger on your code was a sign of weakness and being a bad programmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

something like "You should know what your code is doing, you wrote it. You should not need a debugger if you've done your job"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i saw teapot irl on BART once. I herded my children behind me, they were so young, I didn't want them trolled.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

so what if i want to print things other than 'f' though? what am i supposed to do then? that's why javascript is better, you can just console.log any kind of character or string.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Zlodo posted:

i meant to post this in the yosos thread btw, it isn't my secret printf based debugging techinque

jeez, post much?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

jimmyjams posted:

what is a program

no much, what's program with you?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hahahahaha

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Zlodo posted:

there are definitely situations when you need a super complicated break condition that you just cant fit into a conditional breakpoint and you can just call DebugBreak() inside of a if instead

if you're the kind of person that does this, and I think it's fine in moderation, you should also be the kind of person who has a precommit hook to check for the existence of DebugBreak() in the commit

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

perforce: pretty goddamn bad, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

debugger in Intellij idea is, as with most of the jetbrains stuff, super good.