Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

tell me how to live step-debug on 15 year old win CE 6 r3 devices, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Management posted:

install visual studio 6 or whatever it was at the time, get MTP going over a usb connection, live step debug. visual studio had an amazing debugger.

realpost: tldr, but suffice to say MTP is seemingly impossible to get working, Hardware took the UART out of the "newest" revision, whatever module provides ActiveSync doesn't work reliably for debugging via IP, and even if by some miracle it DOES all work, the machine is too gutless to run a debug executable at anything other than unreasonable treacle-like speeds. we're on vs2005 for that so when it does work it at least works well, but yeesh what a fuckin farce to get there and god help me if what i need to test is buried behind slow-running actions

it's pretty crap but at least it's being greenfielded away to unix boxes in the next year (to Golang [ :| ] )

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wait this is a quote not edit snipe!

noooooooooooooooooo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

admittedly i have only tried step-debugging a release build on hardware once, but it didn't go well either

maybe if I get some spare time I'll try again and get that worked out :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

suffix posted:

the race condition doesn't happen anymore when you attach a debugger

these are the worst. someone in the TP thread told me about intel inspector and that thing is really drat slick at finding these and memory problems

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 20, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Management posted:

right, activesync not mtp. it’s been a long time since I’ve winced. my experience with it has been pretty good debugging-wise, but I suppose it depends on the BSP.

golang? enjoy your giant binaries.
i don't think they've rebuilt the winCE OS image in ten years rofl. it's probably literally a Lost Art at this point

i've been warned lots about golang but tbh it looks overall a lot less foot-shooty than C++ has been in my career so I'm all for it (no generics is a fuckin' grumble tho)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also it's not printf it's NKDbgPrintfW, god :rolleye:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

rotor posted:

one of the last teapot threads before he was permabanned was where he asserted that needing to use a debugger on your code was a sign of weakness and being a bad programmer.

technically correct; all programs and programmers are bad

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shaggar posted:

nah, they should just be taught how to use the debugger a little more than not at all. its really not hard to add a break point to a line and then once they figure out that basic stuff they can be taught how to add conditions and watches.

telling them to write code to trigger the debugger is going to create bad habits.

i agree in general, but there's been at least one time for me when a "debugger, just loving break here" in compiled code has worked far better than any amount of fancy watches or break conditions. wish I could remember the details though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

rotor posted:

if you're the kind of person that does this, and I think it's fine in moderation, you should also be the kind of person who has a precommit hook to check for the existence of DebugBreak() in the commit

I don't but that's because perforce is an arse that I cannot understand the flow or functions of for the life of me

bloody drat thing