Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Stardew Valley was a farming sim that was released in 2016. It was developed by a one man crew in Concerned Ape, and you've probably heard of it before. Those who grew up playing Harvest Moon and its many, many sequels will find a kindred spirit in this game. I have played way too much of this, and the best thing is it's still being updated even 3 years later. ConcernedApe just announced that there is a 1.4 patch coming, which will update a lot of stuff. What? Dunno yet.

Still, there are probably some of you out there who haven't experienced this game. In it, you are a farmer that takes over your grandfather's farm. There is no real goal. You're free to raise crops, fish, befriend villagers and get married. Or not. You can slay monsters and just generally faff about. It's entirely up to you!

Why Stardew Valley?

Like I mentioned, I love this game. I still play it. It's on basically every console in the universe now. I know there were a couple of LPs in the past, but this game still gets updates and it's something everyone should see. ConcernedApe put a lot of love into this game, and the fact he did it all alone is impressive.

Who are you?

I am Captain Capitalism. My last LP was for a kind of romhack version of Legend of Zelda, and this will be a screenshot LP because I think this will work better with the game itself. Updates should be around 1ish a week, depending on my schedule. If things are popping, maybe more.

This LP will be slightly interactive. I'll ask for a general framework, and then from there I'll play out the days. I'll probably combine a few days into one update, because watching me water crops for multiple pages will get old.

This game may be 3 years old but there are some secrets in it. Please don't spoil anything. Including a general blanket ban on “wink wink nudge nudge” stuff like “wait until you see the MEGA hyper chicken! It lays giant radioactive eggs!” It doesn't exist, and now you just look silly.

There are dinosaurs though. I'm going to spoil that one right out there.

Updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Reserved for townspeople, buildings, etc

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Update 1 – Character Creation and More

Let's get started! We have a lot of choices to make, right off the bat. Here is our New Game screen.

As you can see, we have quite a few knobs to tweak to get our perfect character. First, are we male or female? Honestly, this choice does not matter in the slightest. You can use any hairstyle or accessories with either and all the bachelors and bachelorettes are happy to marry you regardless of how you identify.

Second, are we a cat person or a dog person? This may not be another huge shocker, but like in other farming sims, you get a pet. We'll name the furry critter later, but we need to decide right now which we get.

We'll also need a name. Any name will do. Goon consensus will win.

On the same note, a name for our farm. As you can see, the game automatically adds “farm” to the end of the name, so if you name it “Stardew Farm” then everyone will call it the Stardew Farm Farm, and you'll feel silly.

Lastly, our favorite thing. Those who played Earthbound are probably very excited, but this is a fairly small choice. It impacts one single thing. This thing is something you ingest. So...do with that as you will.

We also need hair style, hair color, eye color, shirt, pants, accessories, skin color, (any color!) everything. There are a ton of customization options and as I mentioned you can use any of them for male or female. If you've played, include a picture or otherwise just generally describe what you want and I'll figure out how to make it work.

Ok, phew. We're done. Wait, what's that on the right side?

In the original release, there was only one farm. You grew crops on it, decorated it to your heart's content, but that was it for layout. Later patches added five farms, each of them for a different skill. Mostly, they're cosmetic. They do provide some minor benefits, but in the end pick whichever one you prefer. Here are our options:

Standard Farm

This is the default farm. It has the most tillable space, so you can farm a lot. Plenty of space for buildings too. It's the original farm you had, and it's still perfectly fine.

Pros: Plenty of space for buildings and crops
Cons: No fish can be caught, kind of boring looking

Riverland Farm

If you can't tell, this is for the Fishing skill. There's not a lot of space to farm, and it's broken up into islands. You can catch river/town fish here though. I'm going to say this, because it's important: This is not unique. The other fancy farms let you catch different kind of fish. So if you're picking this, it's basically an aesthetic choice.

Pros: Less focus on farming, fancy islands
Cons: Not a huge benefit, stupid bridges

Forest Farm

This is probably my favorite farm, I'm going to just say this. It actually has the least amount of tillable land of all the farms, but it does have stumps that you can use to farm wood and some forage items appear on it. Plus it looks pretty in my opinion.

Pros: Farmable hardwood, getting in touch with Mother Nature
Cons: not a lot of farming/building space, bears

Hilltop Farm

This farm is built for miners. There's a, well, hill on the farm that spawns mining nodes and gems based on your mining skill, so more ore/gems are only a short walk away. It has a decent amount of farming space too.

Pros: Lots of ore/stone/gems, fun cliffs
Cons: A river in the middle of the map, ores have diminishing returns

Wilderness Farm

The last farm spawns monsters at night. I will be honest, it doesn't appeal. Monsters aren't fun to fight when you're trying to farm, and if you really really want that option you can actually enable it later in the game for any other farm.

Pros: Monster drops, lots of farm space
Cons: Fighting for your life while harvesting parsnips

Pick your favorite farm as well! I'll close this out with a few randomized characters so you can get some ideas on what you can make. I'll leave the voting open for 48 hours from this post. Also, make sure to bold your votes so I can read them while going through the posts.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I don't have too much of a preference for the PC, but I'll say dog person and forest farm.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Cat and water farm

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I tend to go for the Hilltop Farm. It does have diminishing returns, yes, but it definitely helps you hit the ground running more than the others, and after a while the differences become negligible.

And our farmer is clearly the type of person to name their dog Kitty while living on The Farm and enjoying a nice Brewski

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 20, 2019

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Go for the Forest Farm Haven't seen it, and you say you like it.

Get a Cat and name it Lazy. But of course, give it daily love. For a personal little thing, I might ask that you Complete the Museum collection. Just as a general goal. If that's possible.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Female named Harriet with a Cat and Forest Farm for me too. Don't forget that you can do some crab potting in the little lake, very handy for some of those pesky Community Centre cheevos and recipes like Escargo.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 20, 2019

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Male named Steven, owner of Universe Farm, a hilltop farm with a lot of access to gems. He's definite Cat person, though he's likely to give it a silly name like Lion. And his favorite thing is of course the delicious ice cream sandwich known as Cookie Cat.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Male named Butts, of SomeAwful, regular farm. Also dog.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
A cat owner on the Forest farm. Based on my last playthrough I'd say a male named Dionysus, hooch kingpin of Stardew Valley. Our favorite thing would be money, of course.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

wokow6 posted:

Male named Steven, owner of Universe Farm, a hilltop farm with a lot of access to gems. He's definite Cat person, though he's likely to give it a silly name like Lion. And his favorite thing is of course the delicious ice cream sandwich known as Cookie Cat.

As it turns out, even though I wasn't planning on any references, this all basically checks out with what I'd like to see as a regular girl player and forest farm user wanting things to get shaken up a little, so seconded.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

raifield posted:

A cat owner on the Forest farm. Based on my last playthrough I'd say a male named Dionysus, hooch kingpin of Stardew Valley. Our favorite thing would be money, of course.

My winery has turned me into the Scrooge McDuck of the valley

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

raifield posted:

This speaks to my username.

I’ll consider some long term goals later, the “tutorial” lasts a few days before you have access to everything.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

raifield posted:

I vote for this choice

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

A little under 12 hours to go! It looks like we'll be using the forest farm and a cat so far but that could change!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Ok then, it looks like we'll be playing as Dionysus, with a cat, on the forest farm. I built out our character, so I'll have the first update soon! This LP will be slightly narrative. I know a lot about this game so I want to share everything but "I picked a parsnip" will get boring for everyone quickly.

Here is our intrepid hero. I decided he should have fabulous hair. Purple pants are because grapes are purple. Just go with it. Relax. This is just a farming game.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This is NOT a farming game. This is a game about the joys of wrecking a small town economy with blueberries.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

: So you want to know how I got here? Well, it began a while ago….

: ...and for my very special grandon:

: Now, listen close...

: When that happens, my boy, you'll be ready for this gift.
: Now, let Grandpa rest...

: In retrospect, it was probably a bit of a weird thing to tell a ten year old.

: I grew up. I got a job. I worked for Joja corp.

: Things weren't going so well. Frankly, once they hired the skeleton I had already had enough. First off, how do you compete with something that didn't sleep? Stupid skeletons. I already spent 16 hours a day in the office, I had no friends, no life, and now Boney McBoneface is putting out better numbers than me? I was at the end of my rope.

: Then I remembered my grandpa’s letter. I kept it all those years, and didn’t open it.

: So, free farmland. Apparently I was rich! I mean, prime real estate in one of the nation's prettiest areas? Heck yeah. So I got on the bus and here I am.

: ...and yep. That’s about it. Sorry, who are you again?

: *sigh*

: I'm Robin, the local carpenter. Mayor Lewis sent me here to fetch you and show you the way to your new home. He's there right now, tidying things up for your arrival.

: Yeah, sure. And might I say, I love your-

: I’m married.

: Nuts.

: What the hell?

: This is Prohibition Farm.

: What's the matter? Sure, it's a bit overgrown, but there's some good soil underneath that mess! With a little dedication you'll have it cleaned up in no time.

: Seriously, what the hell? Is that a forest that's on the land? There are weeds everywhere! I thought he lived here for a while, why is this place such a dump?

: Yeah, the money for the maintenance crew ran out ages ago. How long did you have that letter?

: ...ok. Well. I can pick a few weeds, cut a few trees, maybe remove that forest for more farmland...

: You can't. It's protected land now. Cutting trees is only allowed in limited quantities.

: ...crap.

: I'm Lewis, Mayor of Pelican Town.

: Oh, Lewis! My grandpa said to say hi.

: ..oh? How is the old fart?

: Dead.

: Ah. Last I saw of him, he threw away all his tools, yelling about some “stupid green apple blobs” and their requests. Something about a red cabbage? Dunno what he was on about, but it's common around here. We call it “farming madness.” Anyways, you're moving into his old place. Just finished cleaning it up a bit.

: “Crusty” might be a bit more apt.

: No, I'm serious. There isn't even a kitchen in there.

: Oh, I'm sure...wait, what?

: I can sell you one if you want.

: He just got here. High pressure sales deals wait until they've been here at least 5 days.

: Fine.

: Anyways, I'll let you settle in. Tomorrow, you should introduce yourself to the townspeople. They'd like that.

: ...well, most of them. Probably.

: Really? Is that a job the mayor needs to do?

: The Mayor? No. But someone who likes to keep tabs on his populace? Yes.

: ...Robin, why do you keep electing him?

: Eh. Voting's annoying, most of us don't bother.

: Oh, this is going to be fun.

: Well... good luck!

Day 1, Spring Year 1

: Oh god, this wasn't just a nightmare. I really did just spend a night in a house with no bathroom, no kitchen, and I swear I think Lewis was looking in through the window. Ok, Dio. Get it together. I'm going to farm the poo poo out of this place, make a ton of money, then leave, salt the earth and never come back.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Spring 1, Year 1

: Here we are. Wait. What's that gift? That wasn't there last night.

: Oh god. He's watching me. I'm going to die here, aren't I?

: Time to get to work.

The farm is a mess when you first start out, and this is only a tiny little section of it. Grass and weeds can be cut with the scythe, stones can be removed with the pick and stumps/logs can be removed with the axe. Everything you do takes energy, which is in the lower right hand side. The brown dirt is tillable soil, which you can plant crops in. The forest farm has less of this than any other farm. You can see off to the left we have grassland. The plus side to this is you can find forage items in it, which is unique to this map.

: There we are. I'm the best farmer ever!

: OK, seed. Go in the ground. Then up you pop.

: I may not be the best farmer ever. Who would know something about this? Robin probably wouldn't, but the only other person I know is...oh no.

Your grandpa used to complain about the rickety old bed. But I think, deep down, he actually loved that house.

At least until the farming madness took him. Scratched “RABBITS FOOT” everywhere on the walls and wrote “I HATE THOSE SNAKES” on the floor. In blood. Not sure where he got all of it.

: Lovely. Listen, I got those seeds you...uh...put in my house.

I have a master key.

: That is, uh, information that you just told me that I will probably think about. Later. In the dead of night while I can't sleep. But I had a question. How do you farm? The seeds. They're not going in the ground.

Did you till the soil? With your hoe?

: Heh, hoe.

Do that. Then plant them. But since you made the trek out to town anyway, why don't you meet some of the townspeople? We don't get very many new people. Not since...well, nevermind.

: Ugh, fine.

If it helps, I'll pay you 100G if you meet everyone.

: That's barely anything!

You don't have any money.

: Barely any problem I meant. I'll do it.

Let's explore the town a tiny bit before we go planting. This is the general store, Pierre's. You can buy seeds here. They're a little cheaper than other places. Right out front is the calendar and the Help Wanted board. Help Wanted quests have a time limit, but they make the villagers happy. The calendar just says when people's birthdays and holidays are.

This smarmy gently caress is Pierre. He sells you the seeds you need to crush him economically. Also he'll resell your produce and claim its his. gently caress Pierre.

Marnie runs the ranch outside of town. It may not be a huge secret, but she'll sell you animals and animal supplies. She is also not romancable.

Gus runs the saloon, which is...well, it's a bar.

: Ok, I've got 500G. Let's get some seeds. My phone doesn't get a signal and there's no computer in the crap shack so I'm going to wing this.

: Seems fine.

This is not optimal. If you want me to go hardcore farming later, just wait until Summer. That's when things go crazy. I probably won't though. Don't worry, I'll let you know how to break this game over your knee.

There are forage items all over. My inventory is full so I can't pick it up but you can find different items in different seasons.

Penny is the shy bookish type of the game. She is one of the bachelorettes, and teaches the two kids in town. I don't think it's an actual job though, and she's not really a teacher. Basically she's the only person who cares about giving them an education, I guess.

Sam is another romance candidate. He was voted “most likely to say cowabunga” in high school.

Leah is not Robin. She is an artist that lives outside town and works with wood to make art. This is different from Robin, who lives outside town and works with wood to make buildings. I feel like ConcernedApe realized people wanted to marry Robin so he just made a Robin expy.

: Oh my god get that thing off your face.

Harvey is the doctor and has a creepy moustache. We'll probably be seeing him soon.

: There. I am now officially the best farmer in this town.

: I found these random seeds clearing out the area. Screw it, let's throw these in too.

Mixed seeds are random. They'll grow into almost any crop for that season. They're actually pretty neat, and the forest farm has special plants that guarantee a mixed seed. Sensing a theme?

: ...ok. I've watered the plants. I'm done at 3:30. This job ain't so bad actually. Now...uh...what do I do?

If you forget to water, your plants don't die, they just don't grow for the day. So you're not completely out of luck if you miss a day. Still, if you're optimizing your grow charts you may not have time. If you're doing this though, you're probably the same type to set up alarms and google alerts so you probably won't forget.

: I'll just sell all this crap. I'm not going to need it. And I kind of like the idea of having Lewis haul rocks to the market.

: Eh, I'll go back to town. Maybe get a drink at the bar.

Maru is yet another romance candidate. She is Robin's daughter. She likes gadgets, and wears glasses.

Alex is romancable. He's difficult to befriend because he only likes specific, hard to make things. He's big into football and probably giving nerds swirlies. Also, this is his dog in the pen. You see it only once.

: I literally cannot even afford bread. Fine. I'll just meet everyone in here and maybe tomorrow I can actually eat.

Pam is Penny's mother. They live in a trailer in town. Pam does not make the best decisions in life. Case in point: One of her “loved” gifts is beer.

Emily is one of the marriage candidates that was added in a later patch. She is...well, she's something. Her events are fun.

Shane is the other candidate that was added in a later patch. He's an alcoholic that is a huge rear end. He appeals to the little voice inside everyone that says “I can fix him. I can change him.”

: Great. This has been fun. I get to meet the town drunks. gently caress it, going home and watching TV.

TV shows will give you some hints and tips, tell you the weather for next day and can give you recipes. The weather report is actually always accurate, which is how you can tell this isn't real life.

Crafting is also super important. As you can see, inventory space is limited, and you have to pay to unlock all three rows. Build chests to store all the items you're hoarding saving for later. Unfortunately, this requires wood. Luckily, we have an axe.

: No place to store anything in the entire house but a blueprint for a chest. I think Grandpa actually hated me.

: I am so tired. Almost there...

: I think I overdid it.

If your energy dips too low, this happens. You can no longer run, and doing anything else can potentially knock you out. Don't do this, kids.

Chests store as much as you can carry, and you can have an unlimited number of them. Plus you can make them pretty colors. Day 1, make a chest. You'll need it.

Going to sleep saves your game and ends the day. It's just like Harvest Moon.

And that's our first day! Laying the groundwork for the future.

: Wait....something isn't right.

Next time:

Fish? Fish. Fish!

Once we're settled in, I'll start getting votes for things and we'll pick up the pace. There honestly isn't enough stuff in one day to fill an update usually.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I ended up spending an in-game day organizing and color coding all my chests. You end up with a TON of stuff after a while.

Also, I love that one thing that unites all Stardew Valley players is a deep, unexplainable hatred of Pierre

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I guess I';m weird cause Pierre never really bothered me?

Enjoying the writing as well, good narrative lps are a gateway to the horrifying world of fanfiction a lot of fun

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

It might be that Pierre is the chief representative of the 'good'/proper path of Stardew Valley despite being the worst that really gets under everyone's skin. It's always satisfying getting to beat him at things.

One minor problem I do have with the game is that some of the non-romanceable characters run out of dialogue after what feels like notably less time, but there are a handful of very good mods for that based off what aspects we do know about them that are underexplored.

I look forward to the continued adventures of The Worst Half-Vampire.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Jadecore posted:

It might be that Pierre is the chief representative of the 'good'/proper path of Stardew Valley despite being the worst that really gets under everyone's skin. It's always satisfying getting to beat him at things.

And add onto the fact that his store is (stupidly) not open when you first wake up and it makes him stupid with his stupid glasses and his stupid hair

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Opposition to both the Walmart analogue and the small business tyrant is praxis.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I am not actually dead, and I haven't forgotten. Just busy. One good thing is I have a few updates screenshotted so I'll be a little bit quicker. I intended for days 2-3 to be one update but it ended up long so I'll post the second half soon.

2 Spring, Year 1

: Man, I feel awful. I haven't felt this bad since I had that starfruit wine.

This is another downside of using too much energy. If you are exhausted or stay up too late, you'll have less energy the next day. Later on this isn't much of a problem, but day 2 this stinks.

On that note, you can stay up until 2 AM each day. You start suffering worse and worse penalties once you go past midnight though.

: Yep. This place is still a mess. Crops are growing though. Just gotta water them and...wait, I've got mail! Please be enough money to get me home. I will work in a cube all day and never complain. Well, until Thirsty Thursday at least.

: Great. I bet he was holding on to that ad for years. Might be good to check out though.

: I honestly don't know if I want to see Willy at the beach, especially if he's “got something for me.” I wonder if this is spam mail? Do you get spam mail in mailboxes?

: well, if I die, at least I'm free.

: Worms! I hate worms!

These...worms? Straws? Nobody knows what they are, but if you see them, they mean there's something underneath. You'll definitely get something but usually it'll be an artifact.

In this case it's a book.

: Ok, sure. I'll just hang on to this. I think there's a library in town.

: Heard there was a newcomer in town... Good to finally meet ya.

: ...matey.
: Really? We really doing the “salty fisherman pirate” bit?

: Sure, suck all the fun out of my life. I live on a loving shack on a shaky pier that hasn't been renovated in 30 years and you won't even let me try to act the part.

: Sorry, I'm still trying to unwind from a month out on the salty seas... It was a good haul, enough to get me a new rod. Here, I want you to have my old fishing rod.

: Just like that? I'm literally a complete stranger to you. I didn't even know you or this beach existed until an hour ago.

: The mayor requested it.

: And why does that mean anything?

: Son, you've been here only a couple of days. I've learned three things about life. First, don't quit your job to pursue some passion. You'll end up in a shack on a dilapidated pier. Second, don't trust your spouse when they say they have “late night knitting” four nights a week. Third, and most important, don't gently caress with Mayor Lewis. If he says to jump, say “How high, sir?” and start hopping.

: ...

: Anyways, It's important to me that the art o' fishing stays alive. And hey, maybe you'll buy somethin' from the shop once in a while.

: Please. I'm tired of eating fish every night.

: Uh...ok. I'll just be over there, trying to fish. Minding my own business.

: Whatever son. Just sayin' you've been warned.

Fishing in this game is either hated or loved by people, there is no middle ground. I personally enjoy it. First, you cast your rod, like so. By the way, those ripples are uncommon. If you cast your line into them you get more frequent bites. Unfortunately, since Dio's skill level is so low, he can't cast that far. Yet.

After you land a hit, you have to keep that green bar on the fish. Some fish are fast fuckers and dart around. Others are slow and lazy. The bar will get bigger as your skill increases, so it does get easier. Plus there's bait and lures and other stuff that'll factor in later. I'll spare you the fishing. It's fun for me but boring to screenshot.

: [i[Great. I have a one incher.[/i]

: *snicker*

: Shut it. I'm going to check out the rest of the area.

Oooh, mysterious! Will we ever get so much wood? Yes. We will. We'll repair this later.

This is Jas, she is one of the two kids in the town and the niece of Marnie and Shane. Her parents aren't around. She is also smarter than the other kid and is wary around strangers.

Jodi is the mother of Sam and Vincent. (the other kid) She is not romancable, in case you haven't figured it out. Her husband is in the military and is away. Will he be back? Maybe! So don't gently caress with her.

Evelyn is Alex's grandmother. She's nice and gives you cookies. And that's pretty much all I've got.

Abigail is another marriage candidate. She is the daughter of Pierre and Caroline (the green haired lady in the picture) and lives in the shop. She's the designated quirky girl with her dyed purple hair.

Caroline apparently naturally has green hair but complains about her daughter dying her hair natural colors. I don't get it. I'm going to befriend her eventually because she shares some hilarious information.

Religion doesn't come up much but Yoba is the deity of the area. That's the symbol of Yoba on the altar.

Haley is, like, totally a valley girl? You can marry her too, if you'd like. She actually does have some depth. Basically she is the Alex counterpart for the women. In my opinion, none of the marriage choices are bad, per se, but there are a couple of weird ones.

: Huh, weird. Guess that'll never be important.

Demetrius is Robin's husband and Maru's father. He's into science, much like his daughter. He'll be involved in an important decision later.

: Ah, so this is where Robin lives? Looks like she has a car. Maybe she can help me escape.

: Uh, hi there. What're you doing out here in this tent?

: I...love...it here. Yep. Totally love living in a tent in the woods, wearing leaves like some sort of crazy man. Don't worry about me. In fact, stay away.

Linus lives in a tent and people call him a 'wild man' but let's face it. He's a hobo.

: Holy poo poo, Gus. This place is weird. I mean, it's not terrible but I've lived in the city my whole life. Thanks for the food though, I haven't eaten in two days and I think I'm starting to see things.

: No problem. So, what've you done today?

: Met a weird fisher guy, he showed me his rod, then I went into the woods and met a hobo.

: Neat. How's the farm?

: Oh, it's fine. Got my plants, they're growing, wa...Oh poo poo I gotta go.

: This would be easier if I didn't have to water things.

: Great. At least I won't have to water the crops. One less thing to screw up is fine by me. I'm calling it a night.

Leveling up skills is important. Each level gives you new crafting recipes and some other bonuses. At level 5 you can pick a perk, and at level 10 you get some more choices based on what you picked at 5. Some of them are pretty good, but don't worry too much about your choice, since you can change it later. Proficiency means it takes less energy to use that item. Foraging levels up by picking up forage items and chopping down trees. The other skills level up by, well, using them. There is a super complicated XP formula behind everything but it doesn't matter too much.

We've doubled our starting money. Thanks fish.

Next time: Fairies!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always liked Linus, he's a sweetie and his whole thing is kinda heartbreaking. To be honest, Emily is the only character I really kinda dislike but that's only because overly perky people annoy me and I just know she has a needlepoint throw pillow somewhere that says "Live, Laugh, Love"

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 7, 2019

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
We've got to extract every penny we can from these rubes and get the hell out of town. And soon, before we go crazy and start hallucinating monsters and poo poo.

Or worse yet, start enjoying it here.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Mechanical Ape posted:

We've got to extract every penny we can from these rubes and get the hell out of town. And soon, before we go crazy and start hallucinating monsters and poo poo.

Or worse yet, start enjoying it here.

It's amazing what being able to crush people under your pile of gold can do for your level of love for a new place

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

So, it looks like the 1.4 patch will actually be happening this month, so I'll be able to show off the new content! I'm not going to put this on hold, but I bet we're only going to be a few more days into Spring.

3 Spring, Year 1

: Ok, so I still have people to meet. Luckily, the mayor provided this, uh, handy booklet including pictures and random facts about everyone in town. Let's take a look.

Ok, let's talk relationships for a bit. Every character in the game, with a couple of exceptions, has a 10 heart meter. Each heart is 250 relationship “points.” You can earn these in a couple of ways. For example, talking to someone each day is 20 points. Giving them gifts can also boost friendship, with each person having gifts they love, and a varying array of things they like to absolutely abhor. If you don't talk to someone once a day, your relationship decays, and you lose 2 points. Once you max out someone though, decay no longer applies. I guess you're just such good friends that they don't mind if you never call them.

Point is, gift people things and they like you. You can only give one gift a day and a max of twice a week per person.

Lastly, the people you can marry are marked single and they can only go to 8 hearts until you find a way to unlock the last two hearts.

Whew. I'm tired. Let's go back to our resident farmer.

: Alright. Old guy, small child, grumpy dude, amazing hair man, and lord of the goths. Let's go find them.

Sometimes, you'll find artifacts. What do you do with these? You'll find out later! And by later, I mean this update.

: Oh boy. This day just keeps getting better and better. I remember hearing about the museum in this town, maybe the person in charge can tell me what this is. Or, if not, at least I can tell the authorities about the latest mass grave.

The help wanted board gives tasks like these. They usually give you a lot of friend points, so they're worth doing. In this case you can buy a joja cola for 75g so you don't make any money, but it's not like you lose anything by doing it.

: Not a single piece in the entire collection.

: What's this, you found something?

: ...m'lady?

: First, not a lady. Second, I found bones!

: Oh poo poo, this must be why you run this and I just farm.

: You doth vex me, fair maiden.

: Automatic no.

: Wait, wait, m'lady. Hear me out.

: Would you consider donating any new artifacts or minerals that you find? We could make a groundbreaking discovery together! Oh, and who knows... If you keep donating I might come across some interesting items to send your way.

: Is this a smuggling thing?

: Are you a cop? You have to say if you're a cop

: Nevermind. I'll bring anything weird I find here. Just...don't ever talk to me outside of this place.

You can donate items to the museum. Artifacts and minerals. There's something like 90+ items to donate, and you get rewards for them. Some are really good, so you'll want to do this. Plus you can arrange the items as you want and that satisfies some sort of OCD urge within me.

: I feel dirty already. Then again, I have to eat and I've already lost almost all of my dignity and morals.

Clint is the blacksmith. You probably will spend a lot of time with him since he upgrades tools and breaks open any geodes you find. On the other hand, you may never become friends with him because this requires you to walk to the other side of the counter, and Clint almost never leaves the smith.

George is a curmudgeon, and Alex's grandfather. Expect generic angry old man yelling at a cloud.

: Great. Almost everyone. I have some spare cash, maybe I'll get some seeds and grow more crops.

: loving Pierre.

Yes, gently caress that guy. There is another place to buy seeds, but it's more expensive. Pierre's is always closed on wednesdays, and when is the most likely day you'll need seeds? I'll give you one guess.

: gently caress, it's not even that late. I'll clean this place up. It's a dump, but it's my dump.

: [i]I'm tired. I guess I haven't eaten lately...let's try this.

Eating food is the best way to gain energy. Foods give varying degrees of energy based on quality and type. Just shove it in your mouth and keep chopping wood, don't ask questions.

Here I am storing the fruits of our labor into the chest. We're going to need a lot of wood regardless of what we do, and sap is useful too. The catfish is in there as well. Why? Well, maybe we'll find out later. Thankfully food doesn't go bad. You can shove a raw fish into a chest for 2 years and then eat it to go back to chopping wood.

Sebastian is Robin's son. He is a prototypical goon as he doesn't leave his room often and spends all his time on his computer. It's hard to actually get to meet him as a result. Just one more eligible bachelor left!

Here's a better shot of the tavern. There's a cola dispenser and a couple of games. I'll show those off later.

: I'm beat. Time to do it all again tomorrow...

Later that night

Next time: Fairies!

:siren:Also, vote now!:siren:

What do we name our cat? Not going to open this for long. Trying to keep a buffer.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

The world of magic has opened up before us.

Tinkerbell.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Clearly our protagonist would name his cat Kitty!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
EDIT: Doublepost. Somehow. Like an hour later

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Dog

hello i am unoriginal how are you

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Being capitalists we need a foil to exploit. Enter Proletaricat, whose heart burns with revolution but whose paws are too teeny to seize the means of production.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Husk

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I have another update ready to go, but I want to wait until we reach a new page. Also, after I post it, I'll decide on the cat's name based on either what's ahead or whatever name I like best.

Also, is there enough info? Too much info? Not enough?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Most cats should be named as they are, so I vote naming the cat rear end in a top hat.

And then you give that cat all the love and attention you can.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Drakenel posted:

Dog

hello i am unoriginal how are you

Sadly, it’s not a hellhound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Proletaricat is too good to pass up.

Clint is very easy to find outside his shop - he goes to Gus's bar every night. He's one of the regulars.