Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I've never come close to an ASVAB before, but (assuming this is true at all, which I doubt) I wonder if it has super macho trap options you can pick

"Well that's easy, you just lead them less"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's been a little while since I last looked into this so I could now be wrong but last I checked, the test slots candidates into one of five categories: 1 and 2 covering technical, staff, intel and other more highly skilled/technically demanding jobs, 3 and 4 being standard infantry and the like, and the less common but not unheard of 5, which is "too dumb to tie own shoes without the risk of gouging out his own eye somehow" which washes you out.

Even if you land in group 5 you can (or at least it was "common knowledge" that it was a thing when I was in) get a waiver if it's not by too much and everything else about you looks reasonably appealing to the recruiters.

Actually if anyone here has done recruiting duty I'd be interested in hearing their take, but I understand why you might not want to admit to that in this forum.

EDIT: poo poo, nevermind - I thought this was one of the GIP threads for a minute.

haveblue posted:

Be a doughy murderer with a very well-documented history of poor decisions and lack of self-control, apparently

Check the date, the alleged ASVAB failure was in Jan 2020.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Staluigi posted:

There's still a qualification level they out some people in on where it's like "ok so we completely idiot-proofed food prep and janitorial" and recruiters can be pretty gung ho to help you work your way out of being unschooled son of bumpkin shack morons

"Bad enough to get permanently axed from consideration" like i want to know what that looks like

Yep there are people who just can’t read well, can’t take tests, and the marines despite their reputation as crayon eating dummies have a higher asvab bar than the army. The “permanent” disqualification is a little sus to me though. If it were just a low score, a kid could just retake test.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PittTheElder posted:

I've never come close to an ASVAB before, but (assuming this is true at all, which I doubt) I wonder if it has super macho trap options you can pick

No, it's not a personality test or one of those dumbass things like you fill out at Home Depot alleging that you will place the quarterly profit of the company over your own life and family. It's literally just "how educated are you in these academic and/or technical areas that we have determined to be an important foundation for training you into someone who can do at least one job the military needs doing."

There are practice ASVAB tests you can take online for free if you want to get an idea of what sort of questions are in the different sections. Just be careful you're not giving a recruiter your real contact info or they'll never leave you alone.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022
My recruiter took me and another guy to take the asvab. We both opened our results in his car. I did well and the other guy got a 25. Recruiter said he would just have to study harder and try again. I thiiiiink you only get 2 tries as an adult without a waiver.

I can’t imagine the military would ever permanently dq someone in writing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Proust Malone posted:

Yep there are people who just can’t read well, can’t take tests, and the marines despite their reputation as crayon eating dummies have a higher asvab bar than the army. The “permanent” disqualification is a little sus to me though. If it were just a low score, a kid could just retake test.

You're permanently disqualified, until you take the test again and score better than a meatloaf.

He probably just did the time honored thing of signing up for the ASVAB to get out of class for a day. So he's probably not too worthless to be the lowest grunt, just rushed the test so he could take a nap for the rest of the time limit.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

the email is fake, but an ASVAB will just have things like "if gear A spins clockwise, which direction is gear C spinning?"

you'll get a comparative percentile result 1-100 and then after that is the list of jobs you'll qualify for. no trap questions

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Yeah if you're taking the asvab you're already in the trap.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

this is true

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Fuckin' right.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gyges posted:

You're permanently disqualified, until you take the test again and score better than a meatloaf.

He probably just did the time honored thing of signing up for the ASVAB to get out of class for a day. So he's probably not too worthless to be the lowest grunt, just rushed the test so he could take a nap for the rest of the time limit.

I did that and they still bothered me for years. Then again it was during Iraq and they'd probably take anyone who could fog a mirror

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My teacher made me do it lol

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I did that and they still bothered me for years. Then again it was during Iraq and they'd probably take anyone who could fog a mirror

My teacher made me do it lol

Holy *crap* the number of absolute boltnecks I served with who joined up during the every-warm-body-gets-a-waiver days was something I'll never forget.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

lol @ feeling superior to anybody when you willingly joined the military :smuggo:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RequiemArm/status/1775215001185214888

Lol the reverse Connie Chung

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The fact that Chotiner keeps getting prominent people agree to be interviewed really puts the lie to the prevailing theory of journalism that "If we don't treat them with kid gloves they won't talk to us anymore!"

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Gyges posted:

i'd do anything to get into the military (but i can't do that)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah but it also puts lie to the theory that hardball interviews accomplish anything

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

zoux posted:

Yeah but it also puts lie to the theory that hardball interviews accomplish anything

Better true and accurate information that might not do anything useful, than no information at all.

I think.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Milo and POTUS posted:

Luckily I took it in like '97, so all I got was a few letters asking me to consider how cool jets and nuclear powered ships were. I really would have been hosed if I did join up since my initial enlistment would have been up around 2002.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

i say swears online posted:

you'll get a comparative percentile result 1-100 and then after that is the list of jobs you'll qualify for. no trap questions

"'Special Forces?' Aww, I bet you say that to all the recruits..."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Proust Malone posted:

Probably kept asking how to get assigned to a base with no black people.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I doubt this is real for that reason. Also to go on record to stress that the person in question is so stupid he's permanently banned from joining seems odd.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChasinWhiteCaps/status/1775215543345152056

More context, you can see from the dates this is right after Kenosha so the military was probably scrambling to figure out if he was affiliated with any of the branches. If this is a genuine e-mail chain, I'd say the respondent was putting "permanently" in there as kind of (wishful?) hyperbole. I doubt they were thinking about the inevitable FOIA on interagency communications.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This photo appears to have been colorized. Ironic.

That poo poo seems like the far off past but those people are still with us. Some of them even own the Dallas Cowboys.

Jerry Jones is just above center, to the right.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ChasinWhiteCaps/status/1775215543345152056

More context, you can see from the dates this is right after Kenosha so the military was probably scrambling to figure out if he was affiliated with any of the branches. If this is a genuine e-mail chain, I'd say the respondent was putting "permanently" in there as kind of (wishful?) hyperbole. I doubt they were thinking about the inevitable FOIA on interagency communications.

Reading it again makes me agree here. It also just says “test” so it’s conceivable it could have been the initial strength test the marine recruiters give. He probably couldn’t do a pull up and they told him to gently caress off.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

http://freepressokc.com/senior-okc-man-chooses-death-by-fire-over-eviction/

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~

This is fine

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

haveblue posted:

Be a doughy murderer with a very well-documented history of poor decisions and lack of self-control, apparently

Buddy, that's no disqualification, those are requirements.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://x.com/stillgray/status/1775754564727341345?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

He is unfathomably stupid.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe Malaysia just doesn't teach order of operations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

lmao thanks i hate it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gyges posted:

Maybe Malaysia just doesn't teach order of operations.

Pretty sure it does. he just dumb.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Regular chud attempts at leaning into the hate clicks look like his sincere content, so it makes sense his attempt would look like this.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

The cascade of community notes is great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/_johnnymaga/status/1775967559604387954

All I did was engage in violent insurrection in an attempt to stop the peaceful transition of power following a free and fair election :qq:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
White boomers are utterly unfamiliar with the concept of consequences

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/_johnnymaga/status/1775967559604387954

All I did was engage in violent insurrection in an attempt to stop the peaceful transition of power following a free and fair election :qq:

is her chauffeur a cop or something? it doesn't seem like she's in much trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sentencing isn't until August.

quote:

“I’m going to make my voice so loud that if they try to put me in prison to shut it up, it won’t work,” she said.

It worked.