Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Onea those days on twitter I spose

https://twitter.com/bonchieredstate/status/1778906731281592702

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

This guy could be completely right and it would still not add up to anything close to 50%.

50% of the US' GDP is a ludicrous amount.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Frionnel posted:

This guy could be completely right and it would still not add up to anything close to 50%.

50% of the US' GDP is a ludicrous amount.

For a little perspective, during the peak of the WW2 war economy, the US spent 35% of its GDP on the military.

Post-1945, It only passed 10% briefly during Korea, and upper single digits for most of the rest of the cold war. The Soviet Union collapsed in large part because they were spending 15-20% during the 1970s-1980s.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
"Defence Related" leaves a lot of room for argument (good and bad)

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i try not to fact post in the pics thread but since this has gone one for two pages

the thing they're loving up is confusing "discretionary spending" for "gdp".

military spending is roughly half of the us's federal budget, in the sense of the budget that congress has to pass every year.

technically thats just the "discretionary spending" portion, and in practice everyone colloquially uses the full numbers including non-discretionary/entitlements spending too, because thats the majority of it.

thats it. he took a technically-correct talking point that is true: "the us spends half its budget on war" and confused budget for gdp.

MightyBigMinus fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 13, 2024

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
While you are correct it doesn’t really excuse the willful stubbornness not to accept correction. Likely because his argument fails when confined to reality.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
So they also failed civics?

It should be utterly unsurprising that federal budgets are dominated by federal competencies. I would assume that the majority of public spending is at the state level, with the federal government picking up the tab for defense and other federal matters…

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It’s going to vary state to state (my state - which is like your ‘Bavaria’ - didn’t expand medicaid and massively underfunds pretty much all state services) but for the current biennium in Texas, state spending is ~$138bn and federal funds to the state are ~$117bn. And something like 70% of state spending is education and healthcare

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the texas state guard needs f35s

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1779190268362735930

o7

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

what does this mean

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They want a different ridiculous guy. Game of Thrones but for Spanish tradcaths.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sugar free jazz posted:

what does this mean

sackville-baggins

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sugar free jazz posted:

what does this mean

That youve never played CK

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In Louis CK it's an Onanist contingent that shows up.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

zoux posted:

what is ck

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

MightyBigMinus posted:

i try not to fact post in the pics thread but since this has gone one for two pages

the thing they're loving up is confusing "discretionary spending" for "gdp".

military spending is roughly half of the us's federal budget, in the sense of the budget that congress has to pass every year.

technically thats just the "discretionary spending" portion, and in practice everyone colloquially uses the full numbers including non-discretionary/entitlements spending too, because thats the majority of it.

thats it. he took a technically-correct talking point that is true: "the us spends half its budget on war" and confused budget for gdp.

The important thing to remember is this took place on social media. Nobody wants to learn anything there. There is only gamesmanship.

If he had said what he meant to say the first time, they would have simply twisted themselves into pretzels until he stopped engaging and then declare victory.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm gonna guess Crusader Kings, it's a breeding simulator

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
It's what incest looks like if you could magically take away all the birth defects.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

KORNOLOGY posted:

It's what incest looks like if you could magically take away all the birth defects.

Wait the hapsbergs don't still all have crazy birth defects?

What not traditionalists any more?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

zoux posted:

Look at this fool who's confused medieval dynastic politics with early modern dynastic politics!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Three testicles, but only one penis.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I have three penises and only one testicle, but it’s enormous

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

dr_rat posted:

Respect tradition.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

RETVRN

alternatively,

Which way, blue-skinned man?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
https://twitter.com/stevebustasemi/status/1779559918955094457

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1779876138216567026

Looks like the big guy's not getting enough sleep, something going on bud?

https://twitter.com/SocDoneLeft/status/1779890674491375925

Oh word?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

We just need 50 more years bro, just 50 more years and we'll start seeing it

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

1. Looks like trump has been crying his eyes out.

2. 50 years? Try millenium of trickle down economics. I see no difference between the theory of trickledown economics and feudalism. "Look at how ornate the cornices on my new palace are? Look how many tradesmen I've employed for generations of their family to showcase my vast wealth! Who cares than they buy their tools, clothes, food and housing from me and have no money left over? It's not *technically* slavery..."

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
No he really is tired. They’re reporting that he keeps nodding off in court

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trickle down is a pretty specific economic policy theory that only really got started in the 80's. When it's reduced to "rich people exist and make justifications for their existence" then the word ends up meaningless.

It was a very specific economic idea that challenged the generally accepted keynesian ideas of the post-war west and flipped the idea on its head. "smooth out the economy by taxing booms and spending during busts" and "government spending should focus on creating jobs and investing in the public in order to stimulate the economy" the new theory was "cut taxes on the rich and most profitable corporations, even if you have to do austerity to afford it, because the overall economic gains you'll get will more than outweigh the hurt from the austerity" which we've time and time again learned doesn't remotely work in the slightest.

It was an idea that in tough times, if the government had 50 billion dollars to spend on helping the economy it was better to just spend that 50b on corporate tax cuts than the previously accepted idea to use that 50b to invest in social services and public works projects. In fact you should probably cut those public projects in order to give the rich an even bigger tax cut, because that will stimulate the economy even more!

Turns out the actual only way to "stimulate the economy" is actually investing in your population, not making it more profitable to hoard wealth. But I think most of the people pushing that ideology knew it wouldn't work, it was just cover for some of the biggest wealth transfers in human history.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Baronjutter posted:

Trickle down is a pretty specific economic policy theory that only really got started in the 80's. When it's reduced to "rich people exist and make justifications for their existence" then the word ends up meaningless.

It was a very specific economic idea that challenged the generally accepted keynesian ideas of the post-war west and flipped the idea on its head. "smooth out the economy by taxing booms and spending during busts" and "government spending should focus on creating jobs and investing in the public in order to stimulate the economy" the new theory was "cut taxes on the rich and most profitable corporations, even if you have to do austerity to afford it, because the overall economic gains you'll get will more than outweigh the hurt from the austerity" which we've time and time again learned doesn't remotely work in the slightest.

It was an idea that in tough times, if the government had 50 billion dollars to spend on helping the economy it was better to just spend that 50b on corporate tax cuts than the previously accepted idea to use that 50b to invest in social services and public works projects. In fact you should probably cut those public projects in order to give the rich an even bigger tax cut, because that will stimulate the economy even more!

Turns out the actual only way to "stimulate the economy" is actually investing in your population, not making it more profitable to hoard wealth. But I think most of the people pushing that ideology knew it wouldn't work, it was just cover for some of the biggest wealth transfers in human history.

John Kenneth Galbraith in 1982 posted:

Mr. David Stockman has said that supply-side economics was merely a cover for the trickle-down approach to economic policy—what an older and less elegant generation called the horse-and-sparrow theory: If you feed the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the road for the sparrows.

It wasn't that new or specific so much as it was a new coat of paint on an old lie.

(As an aside I like the horse-and-sparrow metaphor because it's thiiiiiiis close to outright saying "Eat poo poo, poors!")

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

It was George HW Bush himself that called it "voodoo economics" in the primary and said it would never work. He was right, of course, but that didn't keep him from signing up for the VP nom.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Baronjutter posted:

"But we gave everyone $2000 over two years and it caused all this inflation!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And yo flag look like a dishrag

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

It was a very specific economic idea that challenged the generally accepted keynesian ideas of the post-war west and flipped the idea on its head. "smooth out the economy by taxing booms and spending during busts" and "government spending should focus on creating jobs and investing in the public in order to stimulate the economy"

It was a consequence of the financialization of the economy. Once the industrial economy could be shipped overseas and the accumulated capital kept here, the economy was just Wall Street. And the best way to stimulate Wall Street has been the republican initiatives, lowering upper income rates, capital gains and privatizing the plebes’ finances by moving from pensions to 401k, or the real prize: privatization of social security.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Proust Malone posted:

or the real prize: privatization of social security.

Which, in case anyone's forgotten, the failure to do so was the sole regret of W's entire presidency.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The reason this still exists is because George Custer's tiger wife kept it safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/charlove/status/1780790682560639065

Public input is very, very bad and we'd do a lot better if the only say people had in politics was the ballot box.