Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cato institute brain

https://x.com/mrrbourne/status/1780599604691738663?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

https://x.com/mrrbourne/status/1780612392558166506?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Traumatizing our children for a couple extra dollars aside, how much of all them freedom dollars we get are immediately sucked into our broken rear end healthcare system?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not going to go to bat for England over the US as far as "good standard of living" goes. The fact is that the UK is vastly poorer than the US in pretty much every conceivable metric, especially post-Brexit.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
The few professional French folks doing like engineering and computer touching jobs that I know all seem to work way more than 40 hours a week, usually finishing at like 6:30pm or around there. They do however have insane vacations where nobody is working for a month+ in the summer and then something similar around Christmas. No idea what the common experience is over there, though. I do contrast this with my workweek at a university where I am encouraged to stick to our 37.5 hour workweek and when things are slow I might not really get to even that, but I know that's not typical for Americans at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Well, yeah, but that price is, like, a hundred billion dollars, not whatever your white collar US job is paying

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Love how that guy is all but saying that America is better because the professional class and above have it good. gently caress the 90% of other people.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Mauser posted:

The few professional French folks doing like engineering and computer touching jobs that I know all seem to work way more than 40 hours a week, usually finishing at like 6:30pm or around there. They do however have insane vacations where nobody is working for a month+ in the summer and then something similar around Christmas. No idea what the common experience is over there, though. I do contrast this with my workweek at a university where I am encouraged to stick to our 37.5 hour workweek and when things are slow I might not really get to even that, but I know that's not typical for Americans at all.

Tbh I think it is insane not to have annual summer and winter vacations.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Yeah 5-6 weeks of paid vacation is the minimum

Plus a good handful of national holidays (some of them secular and some that are religion-adjacent and weirdly country specific)

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Meanwhile, in America, Desantis just repealed a law that required employers to give their employees a schedule in advance.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Goddamn so they ever take those holidays seriously in France (good for them). It’ll be like St. Grungus Day or something and the only thing open will be a motorway convenience store.

Segue
May 23, 2007

The one thing I always wondered is if everyone gets these massive summer holidays, what about essential and service workers? Are they just out of luck, or second class? Is it only professional workers that get to take August off?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Segue posted:

The one thing I always wondered is if everyone gets these massive summer holidays, what about essential and service workers? Are they just out of luck, or second class? Is it only professional workers that get to take August off?

You just define “everyone” to not include service workers. Easy peasy.

Even easier if you only hire service workers who aren’t white.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Everyone gets holidays.
You just hire students for summer jobs and/or wind down non-essential parts of the work.

In health care no elective surgeries and everything non-emergency will be scheduled to after the holidays.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Segue posted:

You always take productive hit, no way around it. But for summer vacations you basically plan your vacations with your managers and team to fit it between May and September so there's always some people working and doing the essential stuff. And you can use your vacation days in winters too, so with essential services, I'd think they have even more leeway in planning vacations more spread out throughout the year. And in absolute worst case if it is not possible for some reason to have your vacations that year, then they just get the vacation days as money, so extra pay basically.

For my non-essential engineering work, our whole team takes vacations about the same time and let the summer trainees take over, so other times we're at full capacity and damage is limited to one period of summer. But is it really damage when it keeps everyone happy workers for rest of the year? I know if I were American, I'd make tons of more money in same position I work in. But I'm content because having more time to myself away from the grind is very important to me, especially when even with my lovely pay, my economy absolutely allows for it. I've actually been planning on going to a program where I take a pay cut but only work for 4d/30h week. Maybe once I've taken care of mortgage.

EDIT:
Well, it looks like we finally have hard data about the who were the good guys in the Reformation....

Glah fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 19, 2024

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Segue posted:

In the Netherlands, at least, I know that summer holidays are staggered, with employees in different sectors of the economy grouped into tranches that get their summer holidays at different times to avoid everything just shutting down at once.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'd like to see a similar chart about mandatory coffee breaks.

e: 25 though? It's 30 for people who've worked more than a year by the cut-off date at the end of March, and 24 days for people who'ven't. By law, no ways around it.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 19, 2024

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

MeinPanzer posted:

In the Netherlands, at least, I know that summer holidays are staggered, with employees in different sectors of the economy grouped into tranches that get their summer holidays at different times to avoid everything just shutting down at once.

Yeah, same in Germany. The federal states also stagger school vacation starts for the same reason. And most people travel for summer vacations and become another country's problem so it kinda balances out with the diminished labor pool. France is pretty exceptional in how basically the entire country shuts down for a month or two in summer. You can still get poo poo done here in summer, even if at a slower pace.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

I've seen this chart and a similar one for maternal leave before and I don't understand why Americans aren't rioting more.

White collar workers make more money? Great but you just have to pay that difference (or more) to finance tons of poo poo we get via taxes.

You are being played for absolute fools.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

And most people travel for summer vacations and become another country's problem so it kinda balances out with the diminished labor pool.

I have Croatian colleagues and they tell me that they have their vacations towards the fall because gently caress having vacation when all the beaches and cafes are full of invading northerners.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

jeebus bob posted:

I've seen this chart and a similar one for maternal leave before and I don't understand why Americans aren't rioting more.

White collar workers make more money? Great but you just have to pay that difference (or more) to finance tons of poo poo we get via taxes.

You are being played for absolute fools.

We don't riot because we have non-legally mandated vacation time that our jobs hold over our heads along with our medical coverage. Plus we do also get sick time, we lucky duckies. Our system is very good at dividing us so we vigorously defend our scraps instead of banding together to demand a meal.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Gyges posted:

We don't riot because we have non-legally mandated vacation time that our jobs hold over our heads along with our medical coverage. Plus we do also get sick time, we lucky duckies. Our system is very good at dividing us so we vigorously defend our scraps instead of banding together to demand a meal.

Plus we'd have to listen to Ted Cruz shriek about communism if we ever put anything into law

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Glah posted:

You always take productive hit, no way around it. But for summer vacations you basically plan your vacations with your managers and team to fit it between May and September so there's always some people working and doing the essential stuff. And you can use your vacation days in winters too, so with essential services, I'd think they have even more leeway in planning vacations more spread out throughout the year. And in absolute worst case if it is not possible for some reason to have your vacations that year, then they just get the vacation days as money, so extra pay basically.

For my non-essential engineering work, our whole team takes vacations about the same time and let the summer trainees take over, so other times we're at full capacity and damage is limited to one period of summer. But is it really damage when it keeps everyone happy workers for rest of the year? I know if I were American, I'd make tons of more money in same position I work in. But I'm content because having more time to myself away from the grind is very important to me, especially when even with my lovely pay, my economy absolutely allows for it. I've actually been planning on going to a program where I take a pay cut but only work for 4d/30h week. Maybe once I've taken care of mortgage.

EDIT:
Well, it looks like we finally have hard data about the who were the good guys in the Reformation....

I deal with this by having a job as a university teacher that gives me 4 months of paid vacation every year. The salary isn't as high as techbros, but it's pretty drat nice to get a paycheck during built-in vacations from December to MLK, Spring Break, and then early May to practically September. Summer work is optional and paid on top of my regular salary. Bonus: MY WIFE does the same thing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mauser posted:

Plus we'd have to listen to Ted Cruz shriek about communism if we ever put anything into law

He's going to do that regardless.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Thanks everyone for the answers on the vacation question for my poisoned North American brain (at least Canada is slightly better)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Glah posted:

Tbh I think it is insane not to have annual summer and winter vacations.

Insane in the US context, but I do want that just not if I have to work 10 hour days. Even if those 10 hours are like 2 hours for lunch and mandatory smoke breaks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sure it sucks now, but it always used to suck worse

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

zoux posted:

Sure it sucks now, but it always used to suck worse

There's still like dozens of other really good reasons why you wouldn't want to live in the 1830s. You know, wars, famines, diseases/literally anything relating to health and medical care.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Indoor plumbing, motorized transport, central heating, electric tools, the list is almost endless

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

No electrical power. No way I'm going back. I lost power for like 3 hours yesterday and couldn't do anything.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Segue posted:

Touristy places run on a different cycle and are usually ghost towns in the off season. Other services shift vacation times around to guarantee service. At my work, we are three people of which one must always be available, so the colleagues with kids get first dibs on school holiday weeks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

dr_rat posted:

There's still like dozens of other really good reasons why you wouldn't want to live in the 1830s. You know, wars, famines, diseases/literally anything relating to health and medical care.
Also a lot of the police and civil data don't even go back that far, but it sounds by inference like a pretty horrible place to be a kid.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

:ironicat:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Aztec Galactus posted:

Meanwhile, in America, Desantis just repealed a law that required employers to give their employees a schedule in advance.

Can't wait til they get fired for retroactively missing work

Lol that guy's family will just put them up in one of their spare townhouses that they were planning to rent as a wedding gift

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 19, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can't wait til they get fired for retroactively missing work

It’s Florida they can fire one just because. A reason is unnecessary, and it’s better for them if they don’t give one, one.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Guavanaut posted:

Also a lot of the police and civil data don't even go back that far, but it sounds by inference like a pretty horrible place to be a kid.

What the hell happened around 1925 that caused such a fall in sexual assault of minors?

Could it have been prohibition? The birth of Jazz? I legit don't know

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Leon Sumbitches posted:

What the hell happened around 1925 that caused such a fall in sexual assault of minors?

Your great-grandafther died.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Disco Godfather posted:

Your great-grandafther died.

Woof, but no.

It was his father.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe every woman in america had like eight kids in the preceding two decades, overwhelming the predators like schools of fish or flocks of starlings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lol that guy's family will just put them up in one of their spare townhouses that they were planning to rent as a wedding gift

Oh yeah, op-eds are written by one of two types of people. The boot lickers, and those who believe it is only natural they have their boots licked.

I'll never forget some op ed by a failson who believed there was a world-wide 'conspiracy' of journalists saying that most people would be unable to handle a sudden expense of over a thousand dollars.

"Who doesn't have a spare $20,000 to fix their car or home?"