Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Definitely don't try giving matriarchy a shot because men have done such a bang up job of progressing society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As a feminist I believe that women are just as capable as any man at being really bad people.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

zoux posted:

As a feminist I believe that women are just as capable as any man at being really bad people.

*sniff* so brave!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Thatcher surrounded herself with men and the queen's only job was to stay quiet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Monarchs are never as quiet as they claim, it's just all behind closed doors and official secrets when it isn't out loud.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Still, the best example in the UK of a feminine leader is probably May and look how massacred she got, and for the monarchy, well, about Diana,

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I'm not saying that men don't hold the majority of power, just that if it were the other way around and equally unbalanced it wouldn't solve the core issue.

Thatcher surrounded herself with men because she knew that's how you wield power, if that wasn't how you wielded power in society she'd have done something else, and the monarch who reigned for 70 years and got dozens of tax and land laws bent in her favor was far from a passive participant in history. Men just cause the greater degree of poo poo due to having the most social opportunities to do so.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Betjeman posted:

Thatcher surrounded herself with men and the queen's only job was to stay quiet

I wish I could be paid a fortune to stay quiet.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/ethangach/status/1783292236668576119

Blast from the past I haven't heard of this guy since I was watching G4 in 2001 or something.

He got teased a bunch when his interviews for e3 2013 looked like he had taken cocaine, stuttering a lot and chewing on his own jaw. Sounds like he didn't take that well, probably was the start of his decline.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

What happened to these people’s brains that continually rewrites
“Palestinians are humans that deserve equal rights”
To
“Jews everywhere are subhumans that deserve punishment”
?

I don’t understand how this happens. Obviously there’s an explanation of Bad Faith, but I assume that at least some people earnestly think those two statements are the same. I just :confused:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

madmatt112 posted:

To
?

I don’t understand how this happens. Obviously there’s an explanation of Bad Faith, but I assume that at least some people earnestly think those two statements are the same. I just :confused:

we had a world war to settle the issue of if jews were people, and because it was one of the last unambiguously good things that the US was involved in, americans tend to hear a lot about it. as a result, a lot of people are very familiar with the idea of "the US swooped in to beat up the nazis and save the jews, winning the war", and now any time the jewish state is "in trouble", it's immediately assumed that it's an attempted repeat of WW2 because according to the american education system the US has never been involved in another armed conflict after WW2 except for the Bay of Pigs Invasion which failed because we foolishly trusted brown people instead of sending in our own special forces

short version: bad education plus genuinely incurious people equals stupid reasoning

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

madmatt112 posted:

To
?

Nothing happened to people's brains, out brains have always been bad. Remember when people absolutely lost their poo poo when saying Black Lives Matter meant nobody else's lives mattered? Or every single instance in history of a group asking for equal treatment being seen as asking for special treatment? Our dumb monkey brains love nothing more than twisting reality to support our preconceived notions, while painting conflicting ideas/concepts in the worst possible light.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

madmatt112 posted:

To
?

I know a lot of people who think this way. It's not complicated. It's just cynicism, arguably motivated cynicism.

If someone is mad about Israel, there's an X% probability that it's because their conscience tells them to be furious about injustice, and a Y% probability that it's because they're just bigoted against an ethnoreligious identity that's been a boogeyman of chauvinist ideology for literal millenia. If you're cynical about people, and both modern news and social media are basically designed to make you cynical about people, you're reticent to evaluate them as loving and sincere, instead you're prone to evaluate them as hateful and dishonest, so X is low and Y is high.

And if you have an emotional attachment to Israel or a certain vision of Jewish identity, you want Israel to be good (so it can't be X) and you want Israel to be necessary (so you kinda want it to be Y). And if you came up in mainstream Jewish-American culture, you were taught about ~1950 years where it really was Y all along, so there's a "boy who cried wolf" effect. You were taught "there are always people who hate the Jews, don't listen to them" in a way that makes it very easy to just fold Palestinians and pro-Palestinians into that category.

And then the design of social media and modern news is that you're exposed mostly to people who agree with you, and then the most outrageous examples of people who disagree with you. You see clips from anti-Israel protests and it's algorithmically designed so that they'll vastly disproportionately highlight the random assholes who show up and say "go back to Poland" or whatever. And you think, see, they're finally going mask off, this is what they all are deep down. We knew it all along, nobody really cares about Palestine this much, yes it's ugly but what's going on in places like Sudan is so much worse, and nobody talks about that...

Anyway that's the thought process of all the people I know who talk(ed) like this.

This might be an obscene comparison but there's something to be said about comparing it to the OJ Simpson trial. Simpson was clearly guilty of murder but Black Americans mostly maintained his innocence, and lot of them outright celebrated the verdict of not guilty, because they were totally cynical toward the LAPD and justice system in general, which had earned it by a long history of depraved mistreatment of Black Americans.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 26, 2024

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

oj simpson murdered them, and was also not guilty

like he clearly did it, but over the course of their attempt to find him criminally liable, the police, the courts, and the state trampled over any and all legal protections vitally and necessarily protected for criminal defendants. and in so doing voided their right to subject oj to criminal penalty or imprisonment. at the end of it, every fruit of every tree was poisoned

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

madmatt112 posted:

To
?

It's founded in (either conscious or unconscious) white supremacy.

Jews are perceived as white, Palestinians are not.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

The Israel government has found that equating their actions with the concept of “Jewishness” to be a very convenient way to shut down any sort of objective analysis of their policies. Negative feelings towards things like oppression of Palestinians and Israeli militarism are turned into direct attacks on Jewish people in general. Since no good person rightly wants to be thought of as anti-Jewish there is a built in hesitancy to express those feelings. It’s utterly cynical and regressive

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

The Israel government has found that equating their actions with the concept of “Jewishness” to be a very convenient way to shut down any sort of objective analysis of their policies. Negative feelings towards things like oppression of Palestinians and Israeli militarism are turned into direct attacks on Jewish people in general. Since no good person rightly wants to be thought of as anti-Jewish there is a built in hesitancy to express those feelings. It’s utterly cynical and regressive

It is, and you are correct but also in this area there is a whole history of tit-for-tat retribution. The Jewish communities in other countries have routinely been treated just as badly as the Palestinian people. I’m not even talking about Nazi germany or a Russian Pogroms here. It’s really hard to hold someone to a much higher standard than what you yourself justified in the not that distant past.

There is no way forward if everyone is going to keep pointing fingers and saying, “what about yesterday?” Because everyone’s recollection of what happened yesterday is mutable and imperfect and, frankly, irrelevant but at every turn that’s what you run into. gently caress there are evangelicals in the US that can’t get past the stories told them in church about something that maybe happened 2000 years ago even though they readily espouse tenets and teachings from the Old Testament whenever it suits them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Israel is being helped by the culture warriors in the GOP, and of course the Democrats never take the bait on culture war poo poo and they end up suffering. Same as it ever was.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 26, 2024

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think it's less GOP culture warriors, more GOP biblical apocalypse fetishists. Gotta support Israel so the grand battle of Megiddo can happen in my lifetime. That way I can brag to my neighbors in heaven that I died in the rapture.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't we have to figure out who Gog and Magog are first?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're in London, so I'm surprised none of the evangelicals have tried an airstrike.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Gyges posted:

I think it's less GOP culture warriors, more GOP biblical apocalypse fetishists. Gotta support Israel so the grand battle of Megiddo can happen in my lifetime. That way I can brag to my neighbors in heaven that I died in the rapture.

Deedee Megiddo was the sleeper activation code :tinfoil:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gyges posted:

That's part of it for sure but just as much I think it's tied to 9/11 and the general belief that all Muslims and Arabs are evil.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/kenbone18/status/1783920810656170365

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ken bone’s woke!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

zoux posted:

Ken bone’s woke!

It's morning in America

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Whispers: “Beautiful human submarine”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/IvanasStairCam/status/1784005733110927510

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think this could actually finish her career tbh. One of the few things that the right and left can agree on is loving dogs and cats, for the most part. Back when I ran a pet food bank, I had no shortage of donations from people who were otherwise pieces of poo poo. Doubling down on "actually it's good that I murdered this puppy instead of investing in some loving dog training" is going to do nothing but hurt her, except with maybe a real small selection of beady eyed psychos

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
While it's the kind of message that turns off everyone else, hating dogs is just the type of thing to win her brownie points with Trump.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GovWhitmer/status/1784038681013035477

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

quote:

Post a picture with your dog that doesn’t involve shooting them and throwing them in a gravel pit.

poo poo

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

patriots is it woke to love your dog?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Late Fees posted:

patriots is it woke to love your dog?

The "Checkers speech" saved Dick Nixon's career, so... Maybe? He's kinda old school though

Just don't ask about LBJ and dogs :ohdear:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

I dunno. The political calculus is so screwed up nowadays that the old metrics aren’t reliable. Trumpists will probably invent a reality where the dog somehow deserved to get shot and Noem is a hero for doing it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

She’s not going to be VP. Nobody has to invent anything.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

I dunno. The political calculus is so screwed up nowadays that the old metrics aren’t reliable. Trumpists will probably invent a reality where the dog somehow deserved to get shot and Noem is a hero for doing it

“Fake News. Never happened. Dumb libtards believe anything on TV”

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Scratch Monkey posted:

When Trump mocked a disabled reporter with Parkinsons a congenital joint condition in his arms and no one cared was the moment :decorum: in US politics died.

Also, didn't some other politician kill their dog by tying it behind their car and dragging it to its death, National Lampoons style?

e: fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don’t think not shooting puppies falls under the realm of political decorum

Even dogslaughterer catturd2 is appalled
https://twitter.com/catturd2/status/1784007783693557947

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 27, 2024