Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What the hell sort of tank is the first one? It's like an abrams without a gun? Does it have some sort of laser or guidance thingy on the front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lager posted:

Elizabeth Warren's looks like the dad from That 70s Show these days.

This is just Kurtwood Smith right? Right?!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A ton of people base their entire self worth on who they're better than. For a lot of struggling working class folks that means comparing themselves to minimum wage slaves with no benefits. They personally have a horrible life and a rising tide at the bottom end of labour would absolutely lift them as well, but it would narrow the gap between them and the bottom which upsets them more.

There's a shocking number of people who rather earn 40k a year when the average is 30k rather than make 50k year when the average is also 50k. It's not the direct personal material benefits, its their place in the social/economic hierarchy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Speaking of political pictures, why am I seeing so many people with "Hillary in some sort of fancy imperial looking uniform" avatars?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

thekeeshman posted:

Someone was so enraged by the discourse in the GBS Ukraine thread that they dropped multiple hundreds of dollars on avs. Best use of tankie trust fund money I've seen so far.

Fantastic, good work to all of you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Has anyone collected a gallery of all the Hillary avatars or know how many people got them?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've noticed over the last few years a real uptick in this idea that if you're progressive you have to support every useless or even dangerous quack medicine. You see, evidence based medicine is western and thus colonial. Respect the traditional knowledge of local peoples and hold their wisdom on par with medical science, otherwise you're doing intellectual imperialism.

Oh also you're sexist. A lot of women get really into snake oil MLM's and crystal healing poo poo and being a wise witchy woman who cures through her innate feminine connection to the moon. So if you say any of that is useless or even dangerous, you're sexist.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

zoux posted:

Also they're all anti vax. But you're exactly right, and that WHO thread is full of shibboleths towards that kind of crunchy semi-lefty-but-not-if-pressed wellness person

Yeah, something I've talked about a lot but I noticed all these crunchy alt-med people, specially women who were obsessed with stuff like "did you know in ancient times the most wise person in the village who would solve problems and cure illness was the wise woman??" types all went anti-vax and are now hardcore alt-right. Turns out if you think women have innate special magic powers you end up very easily developing some extremely transphobic views on gender.

Literally every single hippie alt med person I knew has gone down that path. They all started off as generally normal progressive people to non stop rambling about how Justin Trudeau is objectively worse than hitler and you gotta read this Jordan Peterson guy, he's been warning us about the trans agenda to use chemicals and cultural marxism to erase the essential and natural gender binary.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah it's really amazing how backwards a lot of europe is on stuff like that. I've had european family members get enraged that I didn't believe putting a spoon in a bottle of champagne made it not go flat. I could point them to numerous articles showing how they test it and it didn't do poo poo. But nope "this has been the traditional way for generations! don't doubt our culture!!!!"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Scratch Monkey posted:

:lmao:

Pedo guy:

They always look like this

I've noticed for a lot of alt-right people, "pedophile" is defined very differently than the popular definition. To them a pedo is simply anyone queer existing around children, and nothing else. Hetero attraction to children is fine because its based on biology, anime, and and the bible. A kid learning than trans people exist though is pedophilia. It's a bit like how to russians being a "nazi" has nothing to do with authoritarianism, anti-Semitism, or a lust for genocide. But instead it is simply being "anti-russian" and nothing else, because to them all the other aspects most people use to define a nazi are things russian state/society fully agrees with.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nonsense posted:

Following up on this, Mr. King decided to make a social media post taking credit for the American hostages being released, he said he worked really hard doing so. An admirable feat!

except

https://twitter.com/DGisSERIOUS/status/1715772452217790468

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Scratch Monkey posted:

It's Tankie Logic: I don't like X so everyone else that also doesn't like X must have a point regardless of who they are. In fact, the more of an enemy of X you are, the better your opinions.

I notice this sort of thinking is extra prevalent with americans. Obviously it's all over, but I extra notice it with american "leftists". It's generally been my pet theory that due to the american education system and general culture of american exceptionalism, when an american does finally realize maybe the official rah rah USA #1 narrative isn't entirely true they just swap their beliefs but hang onto the weird extreme exceptionalism. They swap zero nuance AMERICA #1 thought with zero nuance AMERICA IS THE MOST UNIQUELY EVIL NATION TO EVER EXIST and thus anyone opposed to the USA is a based ally deserving of uncritical support.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's purely anecdotal but the French seem have a culture that's ridiculously permissive or forgiving of rapists and pedophiles. Or they don't consider a rich 60 year old raping a 16 year old girl pedophilia or rape, a huge number of french people will dismiss it as a natural and traditional type of coupling where "both parties gain much from the other". It's really gross and I've always had a low opinion on that country for acting like the rest of us are simply uptight prudes for not understanding the advanced liberal sexual culture of the french.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah I'm 40 and I remember when I was a little kid it was still maybe 50/50 if people had a touch tone or rotary, with a lot of old people hanging onto their rotary phones well throughout the 80's. And pay phones were super common even into the 2000's. People just forget poo poo they absolutely lived through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trickle down is a pretty specific economic policy theory that only really got started in the 80's. When it's reduced to "rich people exist and make justifications for their existence" then the word ends up meaningless.

It was a very specific economic idea that challenged the generally accepted keynesian ideas of the post-war west and flipped the idea on its head. "smooth out the economy by taxing booms and spending during busts" and "government spending should focus on creating jobs and investing in the public in order to stimulate the economy" the new theory was "cut taxes on the rich and most profitable corporations, even if you have to do austerity to afford it, because the overall economic gains you'll get will more than outweigh the hurt from the austerity" which we've time and time again learned doesn't remotely work in the slightest.

It was an idea that in tough times, if the government had 50 billion dollars to spend on helping the economy it was better to just spend that 50b on corporate tax cuts than the previously accepted idea to use that 50b to invest in social services and public works projects. In fact you should probably cut those public projects in order to give the rich an even bigger tax cut, because that will stimulate the economy even more!

Turns out the actual only way to "stimulate the economy" is actually investing in your population, not making it more profitable to hoard wealth. But I think most of the people pushing that ideology knew it wouldn't work, it was just cover for some of the biggest wealth transfers in human history.