Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bravoman for TG-16 in a sense. When I played it as a kid I was able to figure out what I had to do to complete the stages, but as someone who didn't (and still doesn't) read Japanese, I had no idea what a lot of the in-game text (the dialogue is in Engrish) was saying. The icons you picked up might as well have spelled out 'gently caress You' for all I knew/know.

For the NES, Defenders of the Crown. Probably less an issue with the gameplay than my not understanding how the game works, but you spend money to build an army to go attack enemy castles. Sometimes, you hold a jousting tournament over which you don't seem to have any control. Strange little game that was probably better suited for the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I just thought of one I had forgotten about : Godzilla: Monster of Monsters for the NES. I rented it once or twice as a kid and had zero idea what I was supposed to do. You moved either Godzilla or Mothra on a board and sometimes played side-scrolling levels where you had to destroy little satellite dishes. I'm not sure many other people played this game other than me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh, nice. I thought it was a fairly obscure game. I'll need to give it another try as an adult; with a manual, it might make more sense.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Add NES' Who Framed Roger Rabbit to the list. I know it's a legendarily terrible game but I just played a bit for the first time. You play as Eddie, ducking into buildings that look the same to talk to people in rooms that look the same, occasionally picking up random objects. Every now and then the Weasels come and you have to provide the punchline to a joke. Not being able to complete it means you lose a life.

What a shitshow.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

...! posted:

The worst thing is that it's now 100% impossible to complete without a FAQ. There's a point where you have to visit Jessica to get a password. The problem is that she doesn't give it to you directly. She gives you an 800 hotline number that you had to dial in real life. That hotline hasn't worked in decades, so you have to look the password up online.

Even in 1990 (or whenever this turd was released) it's hard to imagine shipping a game where you have to go through stupid extra steps to advance and thinking, "Yep...kids'll love this".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

People have poo poo on E.T for the Atari 2600 since it came out, and for good reason. I don't really have anything "new" to add except that I don't understand the game at all. I think you're supposed to assemble Reese's Pieces and parts to "phone home", but the constant parade of feds coming to grab E.T make it too difficult. E.T is one of the strangest licensed games I think I've ever played.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

LuiCypher posted:

(Interesting background information about E.T and its manual explaining everything)

That might explain why I don't get the game: I've only ever experienced it from a hand me down Atari collection and via roms. I don't think I've ever even seen its manual.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 7, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jimmy Smuts posted:

It's unfortunate that some Atari games required a manual to play, but there just wasn't any way to give a modern-day tutorial level. Look at Raiders of the Lost Ark, that game required two joysticks. Who would've figured that out on their own? Me and my friends playing on a VCS in the early '90s certainly didn't. We just hosed around and then switched to another game when we got tired of it, with the manual having been lost for a decade.

No idea if it's true, but I've heard a rumor that Raiders was such a hard game (because of the two joysticks thing) that very few gamers have actually seen the completed game ending scene to this day.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

On one hand, MM4 is where the robot master weapons begin to get repetitive. On the other hand, they're mostly improved versions of the originals from that point (e.g: Skull Barrier persists when you move unlike Leaf Shield).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Spy vs Spy for NES. Like a lot of Goons, I cut my teeth on Mad and rented the game once or twice as a kid. It's not that the game is that hard to get but it never really clicked for me as a kid. It's a very cool concept, though;.