Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

don’t quote stymie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the best snipe.

I’m surrounded by type-A smarty pants academics at work. many of them are smarter than I am, but they are also goddamn morons who don’t know what the gently caress they’re doing.

I’m just a simple country boy that knows how to make a piece of sand act like a computer.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

I’m just a simple country boy that knows how to make a piece of sand act like a computer.

no you don't. if i gave you a bucket of sand you couldn't make it do math. don't lie

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i avoid telling my students that they're smart. instead if they do well i tell them that they must have worked hard. i think that this is psychologically healthier.

if you tell someone they succeeded because they're smart, they hear that they are automatically good at it without trying, so i think it actually belittles their accomplishment somewhat. more importantly, it doesn't give them any way forward should they start to struggle. oh well i guess since this is hard i must not be good at it and i never will be because i'm not smart in that way.

on the other hand if you tell them they worked really hard, they hear that their time and effort -- something they make a conscious decision to apply -- is valued. and if something is hard, they just think oh, that's okay, all i have to do is keep working at it and i'll improve. nothing more to it than that, no need to panic or get depressed.

ya this is good and how you should treat kids too

i am just now learning how to apply myself after coasting my entire life and it sucks

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

not it!!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Share Bear posted:

ya this is good and how you should treat kids too

i am just now learning how to apply myself after coasting my entire life and it sucks

Hard. loving. Same!!

There is no force on earth that can get you out of doing work to achieve cool poo poo. So gently caress any and all metrics trying to determine how many winkles are in your brain and if they are the "good" ones.

Praise good work. It is the most important bit anyways.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's a fine line to walk bc if you push too hard then it turns into a protestant work ethic / bootstraps / "i deserve my 3 billion dollars because i worked for it" kind of thing. go too far and you'll start excusing exploitative labor practices.

but in general i think it's good to instill a sense that many desirable things can be achieved if you focus on them and don't give up. i'm always telling my students as much when they complain that they can't draw well enough and oh bloo bloo i just don't think i have the talent. i say bullshit, no artist could draw when they were born, but they got better, right? you just keep putting in the time and you will improve.

sometimes they then say "but you make it look so easy and it's NOT" and that makes me a little angry. i've told one or two students "of course I'm better than you at this; i have been doing this for nearly twenty years and you started six months ago. why do you think you should be as good as I am already? if you were, why would you be here?" then they sort of get the point.

e: i will tell students that a particularly clever idea is smart, but i avoid saying that smartness is the reason their work is good. smart idea + no execution = no results.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 25, 2019

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the smart thing to do is work hard when you're young and then rest on your laurels and collect a fat paycheck until you retire

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbqh just resting on ones laurels all the way through is a pretty sweet way to live life

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

it's a fine line to walk bc if you push too hard then it turns into a protestant work ethic / bootstraps / "i deserve my 3 billion dollars because i worked for it" kind of thing. go too far and you'll start excusing exploitative labor practices.

but in general i think it's good to instill a sense that many desirable things can be achieved if you focus on them and don't give up. i'm always telling my students as much when they complain that they can't draw well enough and oh bloo bloo i just don't think i have the talent. i say bullshit, no artist could draw when they were born, but they got better, right? you just keep putting in the time and you will improve.

sometimes they then say "but you make it look so easy and it's NOT" and that makes me a little angry. i've told one or two students "of course I'm better than you at this; i have been doing this for nearly twenty years and you started six months ago. why do you think you should be as good as I am already? if you were, why would you be here?" then they sort of get the point.

e: i will tell students that a particularly clever idea is smart, but i avoid saying that smartness is the reason their work is good. smart idea + no execution = no results.

That is a good point. I could see focusing on the 'right' kind of work instead of just any work could lead towards more progressive labor practices. i.e. work smarter not harder by being well rested and spending time recharging.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the trick isn’t just to say that persistence is the key to success, it’s somehow to instil a work ethic too

I can only imagine how I might actually have some success in life if I wasn’t a lazy piece of poo poo. thankfully I can get away with doing less work to achieve the same outcomes when it comes to learning compared to others, coz getting my degree and registration involved a lot more “it just comes easily to me” and not so much “I just studied my rear end off”. imagine being one of those people who were both. imagine living a life better than treading water. lol actually imaging a better life is probably bad for my mental health

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods please rename thread "yospos pity party megathread" tia

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Sweevo posted:

the only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

the trick isn’t just to say that persistence is the key to success, it’s somehow to instil a work ethic too

I can only imagine how I might actually have some success in life if I wasn’t a lazy piece of poo poo. thankfully I can get away with doing less work to achieve the same outcomes when it comes to learning compared to others, coz getting my degree and registration involved a lot more “it just comes easily to me” and not so much “I just studied my rear end off”. imagine being one of those people who were both. imagine living a life better than treading water. lol actually imaging a better life is probably bad for my mental health

move away from christchurch, your life will improve immeasurably

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Mods unban Space Kimchi

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I barely know computer

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

not trying to steer this awesome thread on topic on anything

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I’m bigly smart

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Welcome to yospos Mr. President please enjoy your stay

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the president is better at ui design than apple, so he may have been right about his quality brain all along i guess

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

animist posted:

i am a moron

but have you owned iamamoron.info for more than a decade and never put anything on it (like I have)?

who is the real moron here?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Gentle Autist posted:

move away from christ, your life will improve immeasurably

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Paging James to the thread.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ewiley posted:

Welcome to yospos Mr. President please enjoy your stay

thanks duder. i brought my own square hat that smart people wear.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ewiley posted:

Mods unban Space Kimchi
no they will not

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
yospos cured my imposter syndrome

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

SpaceAceJase posted:

yospos cured my poster syndrome

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

animist posted:

i am a moron

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
get a brain moraines

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

wb thread

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I have a giant brain, that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

is that true?

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,

animist posted:

i am a moron

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what even is intelligence, man. what if its all just luck and social capital

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

its graph

im sorry graph

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i only drink at the genious bar

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

(geniouses only)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Silver Alicorn posted:

what even is intelligence, man. what if its all just luck and social capital

when i was a kid i honestly believed that 'intelligence' wasn't real and it was, as you asked, just kind of luck and education and experience and so forth but then I spent some time interviewing enlisted men in the Army and yeah no intelligence is real and some people just don't have a lot of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

when i was a kid i honestly believed that 'intelligence' wasn't real and it was, as you asked, just kind of luck and education and experience and so forth but then I spent some time interviewing enlisted men in the Army and yeah no intelligence is real and some people just don't have a lot of it.

I've got some obstacles, but yeah some people are really really loving dumb