Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

knows things

this is like the worst possible definition. and not just because i am personally incapable of retaining even the basic facts necessary to navigate my life day-to-day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

like what? put a jigsaw puzzle together

my father in law loves sudoku. presumbly he's good at it.. but does this "exercise" his brain like it's talked about around the sudoku table? I presume the sudoku circuits in his brain are fine. idk if it makes him go supermarket shopping coz he doesn't enjoy it therefore doesn't do it .. wtf?

people call me smart, it's a wide (maybe shallow, but at least wide) knowledge base, especially around science stuff, that makes me seem like I know what I am talking about it real life. and picking up new concepts isn't that difficult, and no problems using computers. makes you the smartest person in your suburb

here in yospos tho, there are dozens of people like that too, only better and can see through my sad facade

i am not quite sure what the point you're going for is precisely, but obviously knowledge without an ability to logically reason from it is quite worthless, and even colloquially it is sort of the opposite of "smart" (e.g. "book smart" is largely used in a derogatory way).

equally obviously my inability to remember stuff (including forgetting entirely things i have carefully worked out logically in the past) means i'm not very smart either.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 24, 2019

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbqh just resting on ones laurels all the way through is a pretty sweet way to live life

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the president is better at ui design than apple, so he may have been right about his quality brain all along i guess

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it tells me that you should be more willing to accept a compliment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, it is one of those disheartening discoveries that exceptional intelligence is kind of more mundane than one thinks, and the idea of "superintelligence" is largely imaginary. some kind of inheritance from the ancient greeks where someone sufficiently smart could sit down, close their eyes, and intuit the workings of the universe by pure reason. when in reality pretty much all progress happens through experimentation and orderly but not that otherwordly heads being slammed against a wall repeatedly.