Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Folks already correctly mentioned SNK fighting game bosses because god drat you gotta love to hate them. Such awesome designs and such absolute 24/7 bullshit at the same time.

But I want to especially mention the final bosses of King of Fighters '94 and '95...

So like, Rugal Bernstein in '94, he has this move called Genocide Cutter (I think around the time of CvS2 they removed the "genocide" part and voice and just called it Cutter but the voice over is permanently burned into my brain). Anyway on top of the other SNK boss bullshit, if he hits you with the genocide cutter as a counter, it takes off like 94% of your life. One move, that he can do whatever. Fuuuuuuck that.

In '95 you fight the cybernetically resurrected version of him, OMEGA RUGAL, except you also have to fight Saishu Kusanagi before him. And unlike in other KoF games where you fight a boss team they're both an insanely high level of bullshit, and you have to take them both out in one fight.

But the same time Rugal has some of the most absolute baller themes for a final boss fight ever in gaming even picked at random:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXUduwenXSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0cYnmIqlac

So yet again SNK manages to make a bestworst boss in the way only they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

seiferguy posted:

Also, Bloody Mary from Terranigma. Yeesh.

First time I played the game through I was young and must've spent a lot of time not knowing what to do so I was levelled enough to do non chip damage to her. Second time through both her and that lame robot thing in Beruga's lab laughed at my pathetic spear and it took like 10 mins to kill each

Also first time I didn't realise you could block Dark Gaia's hp halving attack making him super hard

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

super sweet best pal posted:

I actually didn't think Salabog was that bad compared to the first boss. That bug was a pain in the rear end.

Thraxx also takes a while and he's got that obnoxious knockback attack that can send you to the back of the room, but at least you can get multiple hits in (even though they won't all be at full power) when his chest opens. With Salabog it's only ever one hit at a time, whether you're striking when the head is down or you're throwing the spear.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I hide in Thraxx's cavity and wail away, shrugging off his attempt to yell me out of him. That is for pretending to be a Resident Evil boss.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's really empowering when you come back later in the game and fight his palette swapped cousin and you can stand in a place where you won't get recoiled and throw incredibly strong alchemy at his arms AND heart.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

This is not the worst boss by any means, in fact it's a great boss, but he's scary:

The first boss in Gargoyle's Quest, I don't even know his name but this was also the first game I actually owned on a cart at age 5 and this boss was so incredibly tense, I was basically making GBS threads my pants fighting him, just look at how he emerges from the water suddenly, with that scary music and just how hosed up he looks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuH15ozU7z4

He has a habit of jumping up at you from the water, I think I fought him many times before I finally beat him and got the password that I still remember by heart to this day: HDPQ-9M5R, which takes you to the part right after this boss.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mojo, XMen, Sega Genesis. Not that hard himself, but then you have to press the reset button ON THE GENESIS CONSOLE to proceed with the game. loving fourth wall breaking stuff I didn’t believe could be real so I’d die of timeouts constantly for like months until I finally pressed the button.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
While it's not a particular difficult game overall, I always thought the hardest "boss" in Secret of Mana was the section where you get into an encounter with three werewolves if you don't recruit the girl early. They just brutally combo you from full health by knocking you around since they are scaled to a higher level than you'll probably have at that point and you have so few options at that point of the game that it just turns into a gamble.
Aside from this, the first tiger boss is legit the hardest boss in that game, since it happily stays out of range, casting spells or just zips around as a spiky ball of death.

Shibawanko posted:

Gargoyle's Quest

The scary bit is how that loving fish spawns off-screen and just mercilessly homes in on you. Just constantly guessing at which direction it's going to come from, at which height and how to evade it using the spares environment when you're not yet fully acquainted with the controls. And you only got like two hits.

I recently went back to finally finish Gargoyle's Quest about a year ago after not having played it for decades and the final section of the game is wild in how it just doesn't allow you to save your progress with a password.

You hit up the last town, can stock up on supplies, get your lives, get a password for saving purposes.
Then you go through one particular out of seven or so tunnels.
Then you do the penultimate dungeon that's full of timed traps.
Then you beat the penultimate boss.
Then you do the final dungeon that is just a long vertical climbing section full of spikes.
Then you beat the final boss.

I didn't really find any of the bosses too hard as an adult with basic boss pattern recognition, but as a kid that didn't even know english I could hardly make any progress in the game in either the RPG sections or the levels. And I just kept guessing passwords instead.
Had an entire list of guessed passwords written into the manual, because I couldn't beat anything legitimately.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Zwiebel posted:

While it's not a particular difficult game overall, I always thought the hardest "boss" in Secret of Mana was the section where you get into an encounter with three werewolves if you don't recruit the girl early. They just brutally combo you from full health by knocking you around since they are scaled to a higher level than you'll probably have at that point and you have so few options at that point of the game that it just turns into a gamble.
Aside from this, the first tiger boss is legit the hardest boss in that game, since it happily stays out of range, casting spells or just zips around as a spiky ball of death.

The scary bit is how that loving fish spawns off-screen and just mercilessly homes in on you. Just constantly guessing at which direction it's going to come from, at which height and how to evade it using the spares environment when you're not yet fully acquainted with the controls. And you only got like two hits.

I recently went back to finally finish Gargoyle's Quest about a year ago after not having played it for decades and the final section of the game is wild in how it just doesn't allow you to save your progress with a password.

You hit up the last town, can stock up on supplies, get your lives, get a password for saving purposes.
Then you go through one particular out of seven or so tunnels.
Then you do the penultimate dungeon that's full of timed traps.
Then you beat the penultimate boss.
Then you do the final dungeon that is just a long vertical climbing section full of spikes.
Then you beat the final boss.

I didn't really find any of the bosses too hard as an adult with basic boss pattern recognition, but as a kid that didn't even know english I could hardly make any progress in the game in either the RPG sections or the levels. And I just kept guessing passwords instead.
Had an entire list of guessed passwords written into the manual, because I couldn't beat anything legitimately.

I loved beating Gargoyle's Quest, I never got past the second boss (the wall eyes, another terribly hard one) as a kid but someone had told me that the final boss was "a giant man", I thought this sounded too silly to be true but it actually just is a giant dude in a room.

The final two castles are hard yeah but at least you get unlimited flying power which makes it somewhat easier.

What is your opinion on Gargoyle's Quest 2 for the NES? I tried it but it didn't feel quite as exciting as the GB version. I think it might actually be one of the best games on the gameboy.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

:argh:

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Not really a boss, but the space levels in Mario Land 2 for gameboy used to give me hell as a kid.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Feels sooooo good once you know how to cheese that fight.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Shibawanko posted:

I loved beating Gargoyle's Quest, I never got past the second boss (the wall eyes, another terribly hard one) as a kid but someone had told me that the final boss was "a giant man", I thought this sounded too silly to be true but it actually just is a giant dude in a room.

The final two castles are hard yeah but at least you get unlimited flying power which makes it somewhat easier.

What is your opinion on Gargoyle's Quest 2 for the NES? I tried it but it didn't feel quite as exciting as the GB version. I think it might actually be one of the best games on the gameboy.

It's definitely one of the great gameboy games and I felt like it stood the test of time much better than many other games from the same era when I replayed and finally finished it. The sprites are big and clean. The levels are more focused on testing your ability to navigate them than just tieing you down with tons of enemies. Some don't even have many enemies at all and when there is one it usually adds to the navigational challenge, which makes them memorable encounters. The only bit that's a bit harsh and maybe outdated is how the game immediately culls every non-boss enemy that's off-screen and resets it, which can be a huge hassle in specific sections.

The RPG elements and random encounters and town sections are neat and endearing. Going around the overworld and just CHK-ing every inch of the map for secrets kept me super busy as a kid. The music is pretty good too and I could instantly recall most tracks after just hearing brief sections of them. There was definitely a lot of reasons why it remained on my mind for decades as the game that I never could finish.

I didn't know there was a NES sequel. I'll have to check it out at some time.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Rafflasher in the Japanese version of Actraiser, is hell of a lot harder than the NA version and easily the hardest boss in the game. This game was out to get you before being localized into the easy mode we remember, because many enemies only use half their attacks and many spikes got removed. Pretty much all stages have a smaller timer and you are forced to speed run most of them or you will time out fighting the boss. You can lose if you beat the boss and that timer continues to tick down to 0 while it explodes for a while. The plant boss in Marahna is only fighting you with half its attacks, but its real form has it spewing more orbs at you over time, its hit box will hide for seconds at a time, and its tentacle is much faster. You can get a few hits in, before having to lure the tentacle off the screen and slashing the face a few more times if it revealed itself.

Not a boss fight, but the random encounter with three super saiyan giants in the 7th Saga NA version is practically the hardest fight in the game. People who played 7th Saga should know that all enemies got a buff and your character got nerfed into the ground. Those guys are no different, but there was never an encounter of more than one of them in the JP version and you could beat them like any other monster. I am not even sure you can beat them with end game stats, since the level cap is now in the 70s or so and those guys hit incredibly hard all at once.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Zwiebel posted:

It's definitely one of the great gameboy games and I felt like it stood the test of time much better than many other games from the same era when I replayed and finally finished it. The sprites are big and clean. The levels are more focused on testing your ability to navigate them than just tieing you down with tons of enemies. Some don't even have many enemies at all and when there is one it usually adds to the navigational challenge, which makes them memorable encounters. The only bit that's a bit harsh and maybe outdated is how the game immediately culls every non-boss enemy that's off-screen and resets it, which can be a huge hassle in specific sections.

The RPG elements and random encounters and town sections are neat and endearing. Going around the overworld and just CHK-ing every inch of the map for secrets kept me super busy as a kid. The music is pretty good too and I could instantly recall most tracks after just hearing brief sections of them. There was definitely a lot of reasons why it remained on my mind for decades as the game that I never could finish.

I didn't know there was a NES sequel. I'll have to check it out at some time.

It's kind of a sequel but really more like a very similar game with a different sequels of levels. It's very expensive to own. Demon's Crest is more of a real sequel.

I also really like the setting, I like how you're with the bad guys from Ghosts n Goblins, but the bad guys are just chill and hanging out in normal villages except everything looks all demonic but you still have a village store and regular demon villagers. The actual bad guys in these games are somehow even worse bad guys than the ones you are part of.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Even though I know it's not this kind of fight, seeing this made me think: the worst boss in any game is any unwinnable JRPG battle that you don't know is unwinnable by design.

In Skies of Arcadia, I used every healing item I had during that one late-game encounter, practically screaming "What do I have to do to beat this guy," then felt like a chump when a cutscene instead of a "Game Over" after the fade out.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

This fucker right here, from Chrono Cross, especially if you go into the fight with multiple black-element characters (which, your first playthrough, you probably are)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That jackass final boss in Street Fighter 3 :bahgawd:

No wonder you failed, game!

Edit: The last two bosses in both Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 were some bullshit

Edit 2: every single thing about Ghouls and Ghosts for the NES

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 27, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

There's a couple of bad ones in La Mulana but I struggled a lot on the fish boss in the tunnel, he's not known for being one of the more difficult ones but the way he hides in the background and send poo poo at you in the foreground threw me off.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

U.T. Raptor posted:

This fucker right here, from Chrono Cross, especially if you go into the fight with multiple black-element characters (which, your first playthrough, you probably are)

He goes through an entire windup of debuffs before he swords somebody and I am not sure how much you can interrupt it.

Weakminded's counterpoint, Strongminded, just makes the field whiter which does more for holy dragon sword's damage I am pretty sure.

Also you have two Revives and one Turn White, all of which are white elements for that field effect. Ouch.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chrono Cross may be the most disappointing sequel I've ever played :negative:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Great soundtrack though

(Except for the godawful battle theme, which is the true boss of the game)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

JethroMcB posted:

Even though I know it's not this kind of fight, seeing this made me think: the worst boss in any game is any unwinnable JRPG battle that you don't know is unwinnable by design.

In Skies of Arcadia, I used every healing item I had during that one late-game encounter, practically screaming "What do I have to do to beat this guy," then felt like a chump when a cutscene instead of a "Game Over" after the fade out.
I think there are three of them in Star Ocean 2 and one of them acts out differently than the others, which simply crushes everyone in seconds. The others are endurance fights.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Chrono Cross may be the most disappointing sequel I've ever played :negative:

Chrono Cross is a garbage story told in a confusing manner and intense adversarial bitterness towards optimistic players.

It rules

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think there are three of them in Star Ocean 2 and one of them acts out differently than the others, which simply crushes everyone in seconds. The others are endurance fights.

Those ones where you have to hold out for a while work well enough, at least. There's still a reason to use items and put effort into it. Most RPGs don't do that though, they just stop being games for a bit.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's only hard the first time, when you don't know it's coming, but the wizard tower boss in Final Fantasy VI, and his surprise Ultima when you kill him

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Bookmarking this thread to come back to when dx:hr is retro

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

The Master System version, meanwhile, is an utter cakewalk, since the bombs don't really vary in arc any and you have so much more room to work with.

god i remember this jerk

i played this on game gear and iirc it took kid me weeks to finally make it past the first world. no rings on boss levels was such a cruel decision

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

You folks talking about SNK fighter bosses made me remember going to the arcade as a kid. If someone had gotten to the boss in one of those games, there would be a half dozen people standing around the cabinet, taking turns feeding their quarters in to it to get a crack at beating the game

narrator: they never won

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

U-DO Burger posted:

god i remember this jerk

i played this on game gear and iirc it took kid me weeks to finally make it past the first world. no rings on boss levels was such a cruel decision

Ha ha, and then you had the fight the boss "How the hell do I use the hang glider".

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

People have mentioned some of the worse Mega Man X bosses, and of course the Devil bosses from the Classic Mega Man games, but nobody has brought up Mega Man Legends yet.

The game opens with a bang - the tutorial level is cool and kind of eerie and sets up the setting nicely. Then you're dumped in a town and have to do some fetch-quest nonsense (including speaking to NPCs at exactly the correct angle to trigger a cutscene instead of their normal dialogue) before you're tossed into essentially a five-boss-long action setpiece that takes you across half of the game world fighting off an entire army of robot sky pirates. It's an awesome, tense sequence, and all of the bosses feel pretty unique and interesting. The game continues for a bit, there's a couple more bosses depending on how you go about things, and then you get the boat.

Apparently, the next story dungeon in the game is in the center of a lake, so you basically steal a boat to go there. Except, whoops, the sky pirates are back, and they've built a shitload of little attack submarines and they're swarming you, along with their standard sky-attack-ship things. So you're stuck on the top of this itty bitty little boat defending it both from air and water attacks, and it has barely any health. Finally, the ruins you're after are in sight, but a giant robot frog-thing pops up out of the water and blocks your way, forcing you to fight that as well, after your ship is almost certainly on its last legs from the trip in. The frog has access to one of the biggest guns in the game, and (it's been a while) I'm pretty sure the gimmick is that you have to blow off the cannons and arms before they can charge up and blast you. The thing is, they're small and pretty far away so unless you're anticipating it, your special weapon probably won't be able to deal with them. Get hit a few times, and you're sunk.

Later on in the game there's a similar fight atop an airship you need to defend, and that one also has several "waves" of attacks (including TWO big bosses). Ironically, though, it's massively easier than the boat part, since there are no enemies hiding underwater or anything, you'll often be up-close and personal with the stuff you're trying to kill, and the airship is bigger and easier to maneuver around.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a breather at some point with the water fights and you come back.
It is not as bad as the water ruins in the second game, going at 15fps the whole time. The lowest point in that game. That is like an hour of effort since you are so slow and you fight a boss with the drill.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
It's probably poor form to post "me too" like twenty times or so, but I am seriously :hai:ing all over this thread.

Anyone mention Boss Dumb Drum from Donkey Kong Country? That was basically "we ran out of ideas" the boss.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

magikid posted:

It's probably poor form to post "me too" like twenty times or so, but I am seriously :hai:ing all over this thread.

Anyone mention Boss Dumb Drum from Donkey Kong Country? That was basically "we ran out of ideas" the boss.

I love DKC, but they recycled enemies all over that game. I remember having a tough time with some of the bosses, but there wasn't one that really stood out to me as particularly obnoxious.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

-

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I imagine a milk-type would defeat a fire-type on even grounds.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Kurtofan posted:

i don't like draygon in super metroid

I read everybody's comments on draygon with a mixture of :hmmyes: and :smugdog:

I had problems with that boss because I'd always try to shoot charge him, and unlike the rest of SM bosses draygon is really unforgiving, with his swooping attacks doing lots of damage, and his grab attack being more damaging than anything else in the game. But to get to the :smugdog:, I figured out the trick: use super missiles. They do poo poo tons of damage and you can hit draygon when he's swooping nearly every time.

The bosses I had the most trouble with was basically all of the later part of Startropics. It's not a forgiving game anyway, with its love of instant death and how you get weaker as you loose health, but as a kid I had the worst time around the time aliens came into the picture. There's a robot subboss that can gently caress right off, as it attacks on the diagonal and can attack other ways as well - and you need to get close in the horizontal or vertical to attack, and the controls are not super great and this robot can suddenly change direction and insta-kill you by touching him. I managed to get by that dude eventually, and in the same dungeon, you then fight two of them at once.

It was a sign of things to come

You get aboard that UFO, and the game gets positively nasty. The first level is wander about this confusing maze level while enemies costantly respawn but the ammo for your pew pew space gun does not. Oh and there are aliens that look kinda like zaku gundam who's blaster has one square less range than your spacegun who you can't attack with your standard weapon. Get through all that, you have to fight these two fat flying robots, running and gunning from jump block to jump block. They eventually go down, though the range of your standard weapon means you have to do it all with secondary ammo. Two more bossfights later (another fat robot and a mech) and you fight Zoda, who is that disimbodied head and giant hands. I got *real good* at fighting that guy, because then you have to take out the space ship's power core, and then you fight Zoda Final Form, who is a sort of Alien ripoff and who killed me for months. Once again, it's a guy who can insta-kill you, but this time you have to play the entire level over again, head Zoda, destroy core, over and over again, only to get instakilled by pink zoda because the fucker hops at you despite being so big it's legit difficult to tell where his hitbox is

I'm also pretty sure the first time I killed Zoda in my exuberance I jumped the wrong way after and died, and had to play the whole level again

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

gently caress this guy, I got up to him on my first playthrough when the game had just came out and was woefully underleveled. I also was an idiot and only had one save file so I couldn't load an earlier one and level up. I tried probably 20 times and then finally gave up. I haven't played the game since then because I was so loving buttfrustrated at that fight.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

gently caress this guy, I got up to him on my first playthrough when the game had just came out and was woefully underleveled. I also was an idiot and only had one save file so I couldn't load an earlier one and level up. I tried probably 20 times and then finally gave up. I haven't played the game since then because I was so loving buttfrustrated at that fight.

If it means anything at all there is only more terribly designed encounters after that and the story fades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was never great at fighting games, but man I remember fighting Eyedol in Killer Instinct that was a cheap motherfucker. gently caress up and he snags you in a combo (and combo breakers were hard to pull off in that game), then he sends you flying and while you're immobilized he stomps to gain his health back.