Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'll take it. Man, are there any books about that whole expat actor crew that spend the whole 60's and 70's in Italy?

If there isn't there should be. I'd even take a book about when everyone was hanging out in Japan doing whiskey commercials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Segue posted:

I haven't seen the original Dirty Harry, but I remember someone showing me this from the fourth movie and the conservative racist fantasy kept me off of seeking any of the previous ones out.

https://youtu.be/RSAyz5c3JmM

Dirty Harry is iconic, but I don't think it's really worth seeking out.

In the first film, we watch him torture a guy, and the film tries to present it as a moral argument. John Millius, who was an uncredited writer is a lunatic. You also encounter the "criminals have rights? Well what about the rights of the victims" view people use to justify cruelty to the accused.

It's basically an action film, Rush Limbaugh, and Nancy Grace wrapped up into a movie. Pretty much, the stuff you've heard a million times before is all you need from that film.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What’s everybody’s most disappointing movie of the decade? It doesn’t even have to necessarily be a bad movie, but what fell shortest in relation to your expectations (based on director, source material, premise, or whatever)

For me it’s got to be Incredibles 2. The first is one of my all time favorites, and I guess I bought into Bird’s longtime line that he wasn’t going to revisit the Incredibles until he had a great idea. What we got was breezy fun and had some really good set pieces, but a half-cooked story that didn’t really have anything new to say and failed to push the characters forward from their starting point in any way.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Most disappointing is either the Nightmare on Elm St. remake or the Predator. Both franchises were already in the gutter and the new ones somehow managed to sink them even lower.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
Bottoming out my list for the decade was Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star, The Human Centipede III (Final Sequence), and - those movies the liberal media elite didn't want to see succeed - Atlas Shrugged parts 2 and 3.

Though that same liberal media also produced The Post, which was the most aggravatingly self-satisfied film built on historical blind spots, so I guess no one wins.

http://www.cantstopthemovies.com/2020/01/forever-connected-a-comprehensive-list-of-the-best-and-worst-films-of-the-decade/

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Payndz posted:

It's not often that you see someone be so wrong about something that you wonder if it's a piece of performance art.

Clint was already a big star thanks to Rawhide when he made A Fistful Of Dollars (1964); he took the role (and wangled a surprisingly large amount of money for it) because he wanted a break from being typecast as a do-gooder white hat. Sergio Leone later wanted to cast him as one of the random bad guys who get killed by Bronson in Once Upon A Time In The West (1968) as a joke, but Clint had had enough of slogging around Almeria in a poncho by then.

Lol I guess that’s what I get for half-reading a loving Wikipedia page

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I don't know if my main point came through. I think Rogue One doesn't work on a very fundamental level. It might look nice in parts (and really cheap in others - it's weirdly inconsistent) but it's shot like some kind of war drama whose mise en scene is repeatedly shattered over and over again because of the inescapable presence of all the kitschy Star Wars iconography. You see this little girl crying in the middle of a battle with stormtroopers (stormtroopers for god's sake) and it's hilarious because war isn't terrible in Star Wars! War in Star Wars is fan-tastic! I can imagine one might say that this is the very notion that Rogue One is trying to deconstruct, but I'm sorry, the genie is out of the bottle, humpty dumpty has fallen, etc.

Like, I've never seen Detective Pikachu, but I feel pretty comfortable assuming they had at least a modicum of self-awareness and did not actually try to present it like it was Chinatown or something.

Just following up on this thought: I just caught up with Solo: A Star Wars Story and much of this has a similar presentaiton syle as Rogue One, except this time the humorous effect seems to be intentional!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

General Dog posted:

For me it’s got to be Incredibles 2. The first is one of my all time favorites, and I guess I bought into Bird’s longtime line that he wasn’t going to revisit the Incredibles until he had a great idea. What we got was breezy fun and had some really good set pieces, but a half-cooked story that didn’t really have anything new to say and failed to push the characters forward from their starting point in any way.

He probably had to do it because Tomorrowland flopped. The director of Finding Nemo did the slapdash Finding Dory a few years after his live-action Disney film John Carter flopped. Not saying Disney forces you to make an underwhelming sequel as penance if your movie flops BUT I’m not not saying it either.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He probably had to do it because Tomorrowland flopped. The director of Finding Nemo did the slapdash Finding Dory a few years after his live-action Disney film John Carter flopped. Not saying Disney forces you to make an underwhelming sequel as penance if your movie flops BUT I’m not not saying it either.

You're just describing Hollywood in general since forever. If you make an ambitious flop you have to make a safe money maker if you want back in quickly, or you're just poo poo out of luck.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

What’s everybody’s most disappointing movie of the decade? It doesn’t even have to necessarily be a bad movie, but what fell shortest in relation to your expectations (based on director, source material, premise, or whatever)

It could be the focus of the film. I find that the 2nd one seems to be really appreciated by people that have had families for a while. I don't have a family, so I found myself not caring much about the general focus of the movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just thought of another really disappointing movie, Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark. I didn’t have the rose tinted goggles of nostalgia going in since I never read the books, but saw images from it on the internet so at least appreciated the artwork from the book, and how could you go wrong with Del Toro. The movie had a pretty worn out wraparound story and the ending was the worst sequel bait I’ve ever seen. The movie was just so so, but the ending made me actively hate it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If there isn't there should be. I'd even take a book about when everyone was hanging out in Japan doing whiskey commercials

That would also be tight.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I honestly still can’t believe how bizarre it is that Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark got a movie whose moral is that you should stop being a coward and enlist in the military, specifically for Vietnam.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And that the coward kid's rite of passage is racial abuse.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That would also be tight.

Those are actually two great/hilarious ideas.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
So... I can't say I have actually seen this movie, but I see did the trailer in the wild with no prior knowledge of it, and it was hell of an experience. The trailer alone is enough to convince me this is the worst movie of the 2010s... even though it was released in 2009, possibly the worst movie ever made.

I remember going to see a movie when I lived up in South Dakota and somehow this trailer played before the the film. I think it was was packaged as part of the pre-show ads, so it appeared while the house lights were still on and we thought it was some kind of parody trailer that would turn out to be a Coke ad or something. Only about 2/3rds of the way in did my buddy and I realize we were watching a trailer for an actual movie, and not some kind of joke. There was this slow dawning horror that kind of washed over us at the same moment and it was a really disturbing experience. If you've never seen this I won't spoil the experience, just watch this poo poo.

Goons and Goonettes, I present to you without further commentary C Me Dance

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, it doesn't look boring

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Directed by Greg Robbins, written by Greg Robbins, story by Greg Robbins, produced by Greg Robbins, starring Greg Robbins

Endorsed by...... The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Its technically a short film but Cans Without Labels.
  • Directed by John K, who was outed as a paedophile before release.
  • Released six years later than promised.
  • Produced with 130K in kickstarter money which John K blew through halfway through production.
  • Amateur 3D work crudely meshed with off-model hand-drawn animation.
  • The best drawn part is George Liquors face in the opening credits, as that was ripped from a banned episode from Ren & Stimpy.
  • Loads of placeholder art, audio-errors, and a highly obnoxious presentation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSZqX5Io6AY

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 6, 2020

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Its technically a short film but Cans Without Labels.
  • Directed by John K, who was outed as a paedophile before release.
  • Released six years later than promised.
  • Produced with 130K in kickstarter money which John K blew through halfway through production.
  • Amateur 3D work crudely meshed with off-model hand-drawn animation.
  • The best drawn part is George Liquors face in the opening credits, as that was ripped from a banned episode from Ren & Stimpy.
  • Loads of placeholder art, audio-errors, and a highly obnoxious presentation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSZqX5Io6AY

My god, why on earth would you share this? I wanted to sleep eventually.

There's so many problems. George Liquor's facial features shifting size inconsistently with his face during the initial zoom out.

Breaking the 180 degree rule a lot.

Magical shifting chairs.

Nickelodeon was right to take control of Ren and Stimpy away from this hack.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I doubt many of you have seen it, but Anon https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/anon was a shockingly poor film by Andrew Niccol, director/screenwriter of Gattaca, a movie I love.

The premise is solid enough, in the future everything people see is augmented and recorded, and someone is hacking perceptions to murder people. But the movie is awful.

Scenes have no tension and anything a little interesting gets repeated until it’s not. In one scene, we see someone have their vision hijacked so they are seeing through their killers eyes. They’re not scared. They’re just confused and then dead. It lacks tension. And that exact same scenario plays out at least two more times.

The whole movie plays out like someone is applying a five paragraph essay formula to screenwriting. This is how the detective does his future job. Example 1. Example 2. Example 3. This is the bad guy murdering people. Murder 1. Murder 2. Murder 3 but with naked lesbians.

The fact that Clive Owen plays everything like he’s the coolest makes it even more embarrassing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Back for more discussion, now with lovely Oscar Noms to discuss.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pretty average or maybe even slightly above average field. The big nominees aren't all good of course, but none are really in discussion for worst movies of the decade.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I watched Movie 43 the other night,

I think I was dumber for having seen it, definitely my pick for worst of the decade

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Here's my flat lowest-rated movies of the '10s, largely the result of nosing through free streaming offerings.

Qualifiers: Love on a Leash was a wonderful experience, I haven't seen the first two Kyaa Kool Hain Hum entries, and that's not the Friend Request movie you're probably thinking of.

Going through year by year, here are picks for what was most disappointing, over just being terribly made.
2010: Brother's Justice. A meta-comedy about Dax Shepard trying to change up his public perception by getting an action movie made with himself as the lead. Could have been a good short film, but at feature length, it plods, is laded with unfunny filler, and fumbles its conclusion.
Special mention: The Karate Kid. A movie made by people who didn't care about the difference between karate and Chinese martial arts.

2011: The Whisperer in Darkness. Drains all the ambiguity out of the aliens' motivations, shoves in a 'child in danger' character that fractures the narrative's focus, sloppily meshes retro aesthetic with overly glossy modern low-budget production, and botches the ending to an irritating degree.
Special mention: The Unborn Child. Director Poj Arnon's Oh My Ghost! series is campy schlock with queer and cross-dressing characters dropped into common horror premises and warping them with the characters' reactions. This, on the other hand, is a didactic slog almost literally demonizing people who provide abortions to desperate and low-income women.

2012: Easy Rider: The Ride Back. A retconning prequel drenched in blind nationalism and self-deluding attempts at depth.
Special mention: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Ramrods the low-stakes fancy of the source material into the form of the LotR films. Chunks in unnecessary add-ons and warps the story's focus to up the action. Had a Denny's food tie-in more exciting than the film itself.

2013: A Good Day to Die Hard. If it hadn't been billed as a Die Hard sequel, probably wouldn't be so hated. As it is, the weak story-line, Willis' uncaring performance, crap action cinematography, erasure of tension in the action scenes, and pot-holes from messy glomming together of multiple script revisions make this a deeply tiresome experience that suffers even more from comparison to previous entries in the series.
Special mention: Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues. The only parts of this that I can remember are an RV crashing, and disbelief that this was the final cut.

2014: Dumb and Dumber To. Saw this one in a theater. By shifting the impetus of the lead duo's off-beat interactions with people from them being oblivious to them being assholes, the script sank their likability and my care for whether or not they achieved their goals. Worse than the prequel, and the soundtrack doesn't hold a candle to the original's.
Special mention: Tekken 2: Kazuya's Revenge. I have a soft spot for the first live-action Tekken movie, due to watching it in a haze with college friends and our shock at how it managed to be a fighting game adaptation that followed the structure of having a protagonist fight through a succession of enemies. This one is a scrambling of clichés, flashbacks, and inordinate responses. Just a mess, and one of the only $1 Blu-rays I've had the restraint to not buy.

2015: Tremors 5: Bloodlines. Whose idea was it to throw Jamie Kennedy into the Tremors series? And have they been punished yet? His presence is like cutting the fuel lines of the series when it's already running so low on gas.
Special mention: Joe Dirt 2: Beautiful Loser. A Crackle-distributed time-travel slop that putters along on a series of fart-level jokes and pop culture references.

2016: Mascots. Christopher Guest running out of ideas, this is pretty much a retread of Best in Show, but with team mascots instead of dogs, and with humor reliant on props instead of characterization and dialogue.
Special mention: The Jungle Book. Wants to just follow the tracks of the animated Disney original, but also doesn't want to be a musical, and ends up feeling like a lengthy tech demo. Christopher Walken's gigantopithicus face still haunts me, which I guess is a success on some level.

2017: Power Rangers. The awkwardness of Banks' villain having her name switched from the originally intended one, but not changing her costume to match, is a good encapsulation of the nature of this thing. Seemingly scripted by people with no understanding of the series' appeal, with efforts at constructing a distinct look for the costumes and character designs that turned out looking muddled and messy, a story that takes forever to get going and stumbles through its climax, and attempts at gravitas that fall on their face.
Special mention: Little Evil. A spoof take on The Omen that never rises above the easiest jokes, and actively pushes itself away from interesting directions it could have taken.

2018: Robin Hood. Caught most of this in a theater with visiting family. They enjoyed it, I didn't. Part of that was because I was expecting the focus on Jamie Foxx's character's skill with forging to lead to him getting a metal prosthetic hand, but that was hardly the most disappointing part of the movie. The jamming of high-intensity action into the setting, even as nonsensical as it was, could have been fun, but the pacing and character interactions really pushed this down for me. I couldn't shake the impression that the script was written to win a bet or something, buecause so much of it felt like an exercise in getting through things, but with no major goal in sight.
Special mention: Aliens Ate My Homework. I was really into this book series as a kid, never would have expected a movie adaptation. Based on how entire characters (out of a base story with maybe eight central characters in the first installment) ended up cut out, the writers didn't seem too convinced of its viability either.

Didn't watch enough 2019 films to be disappointed by any of them. Maybe Cats, for not being as bizarre as early reviews made it sound.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 14, 2020

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Looking at this thread, I am supprised no one mentioned After Earth yet.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TheMCFriedMyBrain posted:

Looking at this thread, I am supprised no one mentioned After Earth yet.

Watching that movie was like watching a friend play a lovely game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'd watch 3 Dogateers.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
"Santa's Bootcamp" is not the kind of title I'd expect a family-friendly film out of.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
In Santa’s Bootcamp, Santa’s elves go on strike to protest working conditions, so Santa kidnaps some kids from Atlanta to replace them as his labor force.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Darthemed posted:

Special mention: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Ramrods the low-stakes fancy of the source material into the form of the LotR films. Chunks in unnecessary add-ons and warps the story's focus to up the action. Had a Denny's food tie-in more exciting than the film itself.

Surprised this didn't feature in more people's lists. There were certainly a lot worse films, but for the money and time and people involved, it was awful, like a mirror universe LotR where they made all the wrong decisions.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah now that you mention it I don't think I've disliked anything more than the Hobbit films.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rick posted:

Yeah now that you mention it I don't think I've disliked anything more than the Hobbit films.

I think they have to top my list. Both from the fact they managed to be boring (which is quite a feat, given what's going on) and the fact they shat all over one of my favourite books from when I was a kid.

Turning a short, whimsical children's book into a boring 'epic' that had absolutely no charm whatsoever. Grim.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rick posted:

I disliked the first one so much I never bothered with the other two.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Roblo posted:

I think they have to top my list. Both from the fact they managed to be boring (which is quite a feat, given what's going on) and the fact they shat all over one of my favourite books from when I was a kid.

Turning a short, whimsical children's book into a boring 'epic' that had absolutely no charm whatsoever. Grim.

They're remarkably tedious. Action-action-action interleaved with drama, neither of which really touches you, like they do all touchstones of an epic without it actually meaning anything.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I was thinking that Dr. Strange might have been the worst movie I saw in theaters in the 2010s but yeah I can definitely be on board with the Hobbit trilogy being the worst. They come off like the most obligatory movies I've seen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Dr. Strange isn't even close to being the worst MCU movie, let alone one of the decade.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

ghostwritingduck posted:

I doubt many of you have seen it, but Anon https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/anon was a shockingly poor film by Andrew Niccol, director/screenwriter of Gattaca, a movie I love.

The premise is solid enough, in the future everything people see is augmented and recorded, and someone is hacking perceptions to murder people. But the movie is awful.

Scenes have no tension and anything a little interesting gets repeated until it’s not. In one scene, we see someone have their vision hijacked so they are seeing through their killers eyes. They’re not scared. They’re just confused and then dead. It lacks tension. And that exact same scenario plays out at least two more times.

The whole movie plays out like someone is applying a five paragraph essay formula to screenwriting. This is how the detective does his future job. Example 1. Example 2. Example 3. This is the bad guy murdering people. Murder 1. Murder 2. Murder 3 but with naked lesbians.

The fact that Clive Owen plays everything like he’s the coolest makes it even more embarrassing.

That sounds like Strange Days without anything redeeming.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Dr. Strange isn't even close to being the worst MCU movie, let alone one of the decade.

I don’t know if it’s the worst, but I think you can make a good argument that it’s the most formulaic and paint-by-numbers, other than the admittedly cool ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

It might not be the actual worst (and granted it was the last MCU movie I ever saw) but it encapsulates pretty much everything I dislike about the MCU so that's why it's my own personal worst.