Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The worst movie of the decade is unquestionably Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TrixRabbi posted:

Oh poo poo. What was the story with this one? I've never seen any of the Puppet Masters but I remember hearing about this a little while ago.

It's just straight up a movie for nazis. In the original Puppet Master series, Andre Toulon created his puppets to fight nazis, and fled to American and killed himself so the nazis couldn't get their hands on his puppet secrets. The Littlest Reich is a reboot that turns Andre Toulon into a nazi serial killer who fled to America so he could continue killing, and all his puppets are programmed to kill minorities. The movie is just a series of extremely gruesome murders of black people, gay people, drug users,Jews, people in a mixed race relationship, women who won't gently caress you, women who gently caress too much, etc. All done in a way that is very clearly for the audience's enjoyment.

And one of the classic Puppet Master puppets is turned into a frog puppet. Because the movie isn't just for nazis, it's specifically for 4chan nazis.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I liked Infinity War. I thought it did a good job juggling all the characters and subplots while maintaining momentum with the story.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I didn't like the first two Avengers movies, but I think I just hate how Josh Whedon writes characters.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

happyhippy posted:

Just watched the trailer for it, and a random YT review on it. The trailer starts with the 'this is a scary movie, those with a heart condition beware' crap that wasn't believable even back in the 50s.
And from the review the script has some really bad racist dialogue.
Man, I liked the Puppet Master series.

I know that this is a very funny sentence, but I mean it sincerely; It's a complete betrayal of everything the Puppet Master franchise stands for.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pacific Rim was pretty great.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I have my criticisms of Pacific Rim, but that opening sequence, from the expository monologue to the first fight, is undeniably absolutely fantastic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I Before E posted:

Pacific Rim is a combination Gundam/Kaiju movie without the good parts of either.

There's nothing Gundam about Pacific Rim. It's got two pilots in one robot fighting alien monsters so the obvious comparison is Vandread.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 30, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly it's really blatantly riffing on Go Nagai and Ken Ishikawa stuff and I never really got the Gundam/Eva comparisons

Like the plot is almost literally Getter Robo

I think for a lot of Americans if they have any point of comparison for giant robots at all, it's Gundam. In nerdier circles there's people who also know about Evangelion, so that's their only point of comparison for a giant robot that links to the pilot's brain in some way.

Like five people in America have read Getter Robo Go :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TrixRabbi posted:

It's hard to really articulate how black the hearts of those filmmakers are. Like, this movie -- made by military bros who wanted to see military and gun culture depicted accurately on film -- ends with a potshot making fun of veterans with PTSD with a joke about one of the characters "isn't a pussy afraid of fireworks on the 4th of July."

One of two main female characters is randomly executed by one of the protagonists simply for speaking out of turn. Characters routinely laugh as their friends are bitten by zombies before immediately killing them. The fact that this came out in 2016 and there was no explicit reference to Trump is shocking.

Apparently there's a feature length Making Of doc that I haven't seen but got a copy of and I'm curious just to see what was going through these people's minds in constructing this abomination.

edit: I almost forgot, this movie opens with a trans woman (played by a cis woman) being punched in the face for being a trap and it being played for laughs. Just a cruel, sick movie.

Yeah if you're going to take the idea of worst movies seriously, then you need to think about movies that are morally appalling. Range 15, The Littlest Reich, Red Christmas.

A case could also be made for movies which are just out and out heretical, like Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas. People putting Pacific Rim on blast for not developing the international pilots enough, meanwhile Saving Christmas is literally trying to drat your soul.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Snowman_McK posted:

I think these guys also make Youtube videos named things like 'If veterans were in horror movies' where they just shoot everyone, missing the point of most horror movies. It's that 'Abed writes a horror movie sketch' but for gun loving bros and without any charm and far, far longer.

Please tell me they did one for The Babadook

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

General Dog posted:

The Predator by all appearances was absolutely butchered in the edit/reshoots, but at the same time I have a hard time envisioning a good version of it even if the studio had kept their hands off.

The characters and dialogue are shockingly bad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

General Dog posted:

Which one is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNsT7-Lwsk

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I Before E posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the one who made the Gundam comparison, and that was more a general thing about how it focused more on the relationships between the pilots than giving any sort of discernable individual character to the monsters.

Then that's a very bad comparison, because Gundam famously gave as much characterization to the antagonists as the protagonists. That's what made the original Gundam such a revolution, it was the first big mecha series to have the bad guys be just other people with different motivations, as opposed to the giant monsters of a Mazinger Z or a Getter Robo. To the extent that, early on in the series, Zeon pilots were often more charming and likable that the protagonist Amuro Ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKmFgSTpdDc

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh hey, speaking of Gundam, Gundam Narrative is a good contender. It takes a good story and destroys it with the most baffling pacing and editing choices I've ever seen.

It's based off a novel and I'm assuming the novel happens largely in chronological order. But when they were doing the adaptation they were like, we can't make a movie that has no robot action in the first half and is almost all robot action in the second half. People will be bored and then tired. So they diced it up, it jumps back and forth between robot action and the stuff that you need to know to understand why the robot action is important. The final product is a completely jumbled mess that resolves character arcs almost before they're set up, and breaks exciting action scenes for flashbacks that come so late into a story that assumes you already know this information so the audience has already had to do the work of figuring it out for themself.

If you work out what was going on, it's a story about a woman who feels like she betrayed two different adopted families and goes on this quest for a white whale to try to make it up to both of them at the same time. It's actually really compelling, in theory. But the movie is just jumping back and forth between robot fights that have no emotional stakes and orphanage scenes that feel like an interruption from the robot rights.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gundam Narrative is just Gundam Unicorn Parts 8-9 and expects you to go in knowing what happened in that story even while it tries (and kinda fails) to be standalone.

Oh god, that reminded me that it ended with a completely unnecessary Banagher cameo, and acts like it's the biggest thing in the world. I liked Unicorn, I even thought Banagher was a decent character. But I can't imagine anyone on earth being excited for the return of Banagher.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Captain Marvel..... How in the world did it need to exist? And after they decided it needed to be made, they wrote themselves in a corner concerning the Avengers. It got so stupid they needed her to piss off for 90% percent of endgame otherwise there were no stakes.

I liked Captain Marvel. After Wonder Woman and Lady Ghostbusters I was surprised to see a big budget blockbuster that marketed itself as "this is an important movie for women! come see it to trigger the CHUDs!" actually have a kinda feminist message.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

garycoleisgod posted:

I think the problem with Pacific Rim can be summed up as "Charlie Hunnam".

People dunk on actors like Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney but this dude is far worse. Movie had Idris Elba but we waste screentime on this soggy piece of cardboard.

I'm wondering if it was like a YA novel thing, where the protagonist is very bland to make it easy for the audience to project themselves onto them.

Considering how much it borrowed from the Getter Robo franchise, they really should've just made the main guy Ryoma

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Das Boo posted:

Captain Marvel honestly kinda offended me. I really don't like it when a character has to be flawless because she has to represent me by virtue of being a woman. I don't like being told I can only be represented by the idealisation of a woman because Hollywood still struggles to write women as people. I don't like being told the things that make her good and strong are her traditionally masculine attributes.

I'm not gonna say that Carol Danvers is a very interesting character, but I liked at the end how she refused to be judged by male standards. Jude Law was all, "You have to beat me on my terms for it to count" and she just said gently caress that and lasered him. I thought that was a genuinely feminist moment in a genre where feminism usually just means women can punch and kick good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tart Kitty posted:

The Nightmare On Elm Street remake is an incredible display of bad choices at every turn.

Oh god, that reminds me of another good contender; the Oldboy remake.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

teagone posted:

I can't remember if there's a significant social divide in Pacific Rim like there is in Alita. Seems like all of humanity has united in Pacific Rim to build giant gently caress-off robots in defense against a common threat. Alita's world has the proletariat oppressed by the 1% who are literally above them in a utopia.

It's not made a huge deal, but there are hints about how lovely the world is in Pacific Rim. In the beginning when the guy is working on the wall. Like five people died at the top the previous day, so five new people get to take those jobs. I don't remember if it was like, "while, somebody's gotta do it" or a "yay, now you get the good albeit very dangerous job" but either way it's not a good situation. Plus there's the toxic effect of the Kaiju bodies, massive areas are poisoned when one gets brought down. And Ron Perlman says that going into one of the public shelters is just begging to get stabbed, so he uses a personal rich guy shelter.

The governments came together to build the Jaegers, but I think that's about it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Waffleman_ posted:

Hollywood has been obsessed with "realistic" and "historical" takes on Robin Hood and King Arthur for 20 years.

Unironically they need to do the exact opposite and go back to the original Robin Hood stories. All the old stories are stuff like, "Robin Hood and Little john got extremely drunk and got into an argument about who could chop the most wood, so they had a drunken firewood chopping contest where they both chopped an unrealistic amount of firewood in a very short period of time. Then they saw a priest being attacked by wolves, so they saved him but only as the first part of a complicated and nonsensical plan to steal several barrels of wine from the Church. Then King Richard came back from the Crusades and declared that crime was legal for anyone who went back to do more Crusading with him. The end."

I'd watch the hell out of a movie like that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alhazred posted:

Luckily for you that movie already exists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLhYSw67pdg

That's the movie where everybody who watched it as a kid now draws fanart of themselves as a sexy sloth in a throuple with the Rabbit and fox from Zootpia, right?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Fantastic Beasts 2: The Crimes of Grindelwald isn't about fantastic beasts or the crimes of Grindelwald.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just realized that the Fate franchise has gotta be by far the most successful recent King Arthur take.

Maybe that's where the other King Arthur movies have hosed up, they didn't have her fight Gilgamesh, Cu Culainn, or even Gilles De Rais

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They redesigned Freddy to look like an actually burned person. Which, on top of being an obviously bad idea, it means that he can't emote at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Inside Man has a pretty good revenge element

That ending was hilarious. Wait until he finds out about IBM! And Nestle and Hugo Boss! They're all going to jail!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OpenSourceBurger posted:

I also go back and forth on the scumminess factor of going ahead with the film after the stabbing. It's not the film's fault nor is it the fault of anyone to do with the story but there are still big portions of the movie that get very close to being a Law and Order level RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES telling of an actual child stabbing.

My understanding is that they cut a lot out of the movie after the stabbing. Stuff that went too close to what happened that they could cut without making the movie incomprehensible, and just generally most of the violence. Tot the point that most of the scary stuff in the trailer isn't in the released movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh god, that reminds me. Mortdecai.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The advertising is actually a very good representation of the movie. Mortdecai assumes that you will be utterly charmed by the main character from your first sight of him. Audiences will be so delighted by just the image of Johnny Depp in a mustache, there is no reason to bother making the character likable or charming or sympathetic or funny.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There was a quote from Gwyneth Paltrow on the press circuit explaining the premise of Mortdecai and how he suddenly comes home with a mustache, and you could tell even the lead actress had no clue what the gently caress Mortdecai was about.

One of the truly baffling things about the movie was how many jokes it tried to wring out of the premise that Mortdecai's mustache was disgusting. Like, the movie acts like the mustache is genuinely instinctively repulsive. Paltrow's character starts dry heaving when she gets close to it. And if you've seen the posters, you'll know that's not a reasonable reaction to that msutache. So maybe she thought they were going to change it in post production, add CGI stink lines or something.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I feel like people who say they hated Chappie because of Die Antwoord are revealing something about themself, but I don't know what.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

General Dog posted:

This doesn’t really say anything about the quality of the movie, which is basically fine.

Not everyone would agree with the idea that a film's quality and a film's morality are walled off, separate things that must be judged individually.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just found out that the villain of Suicide Squad was supposed to be Steppenwolf. Like, they went into production with Steppenwolf as the bad guy, and Enchantress was like a secondary antagonist after getting mindcontrolled by Steppenwolf. Which would've been a lead up to Darkseid in Justice League. But during production they got word from on high that they decided to save Darkseid for later, and Steppenwolf was going to be the bad guy in Justice League, so he couldn't be in Suicide Squad. So part of the rewrites and reshoots that the movie went through was to remove the primary antagonist.

I'd always thought one of the worst parts of Suicide Squad was how Enchantress turned into a bad guy offscreen. Because she saw her brother who hadn't been mentioned up until that point, or something? And this is all related to the audience via a phone call? Yeah that's why it's like that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rahonavis posted:

That’s not my personal pick for worst movie of the decade. My personal pick would be “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom”. Granted, I didn’t like any of the “Jurassic” sequels, but it felt like the “World” movies hate me back. A friend of mine hit the nail on the head: “They try to recreate the scene from the first movie where the human characters see a living Brachiosaurus walking around for the first time. Except this time, all the people have guns and the dinosaur is on fire.”

They literally say in the movie that dinosaurs aren't good enough. It is stated in dialogue that the people responsible for this thinks regular dinosaurs are too boring

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I never saw the Death Note movie, but I did see the trailer, where it's shown that they kept the part where L crouches in chairs instead of sitting in them, despite the fact that this is a live action movie instead of a cartoon, and L is a full sized adult American instead of a small Japanese teen.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Crowetron posted:

I mean, Medusa is part of the source material, so we can't blame the filmmakers for that one. That's just good ol' BC-era weirdos at work.

I think they coulda changed it. I don't think Perseus's estate is particularly litigious, so they coulda got away with fudging the story a little bit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mantis42 posted:

Elysium had cool action and it's 'simplistic' narrative was unapologetic communist agitprop so idk it was pretty cool to me.

Yeah I don't get how people are turned off by a movie not being subtle about the moral that poor people don't deserve to die

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

General Dog posted:

I think the suggestion that we can just push button, install communism is insulting to the all the adults in the room.

We could basically push button, install free healthcare for everyone. There's a bill somebody in the Senate keeps trying to pass to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Sesame Street is the greatest art created by humankind.

I wouldn't argue against that.