Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I honestly just avoid movies I don't think I'll enjoy so I'm struggling to think of any truly wretched movies from this decade that I'd seen. But there are definitely some that come to mind that left me either disapointed, put me off, and/or had me thinking, "man what a waste".

I'll throw another vote for Avengers Age of Ultron even if there are for sure many, many movies out there that are nowhere near as competent. I feel like it kind of says it all about the negative aspects of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that instead of just going ahead with the Thanos plot that they teased in the prior Avengers movie, rather they gave us this intermediate film (and perhaps even that entire second "wave" of Marvel movies or however they organize these) so the franchise could spin its wheels for a bit so we can stretch this all out for that many more years (and movies).

Aside from that cynicism, the movie on its own terms completely fell apart for me in that scene where Black Widow and the Hulk (in full-on giant green Hulk mode) have a serious discussion about their relationship. I felt no indication from that scene that it was trying to be anything other than an earnest, straight-faced romantic melodrama between a femme fatale former Russian spy and a cantankerous 8 foot tall mass of green brick shithouse while hiding out from the bad guys while on a mission with an all-star team of superheoes. I simply could not buy it and just the fact that movie was asking or expecting me to do so completely lost me. It's a weird feeling to describe, like being able to see all the wires, etc. during a magic show.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

• Also Star Trek Into Darkness almost immediately comes to mind. Much has been said about this one already but I really wish this had sparked a public re-evaluation of 'No Spoiler' culture, or at least got a conversation going about it, because the way they purposefully hid contentious and unpopular plot elements behind "Spoilers!" was honestly a little appalling.

• Sicario 2 shamelessly pandered to the worst parts of the audience that its predecessor had attracted - namely, the folks who thought it would've been a great movie if it weren't for that pesky annoying Emily Blunt protagonist and her ethical dilemmas that kept getting in the way of us watching some badasses take on a bunch of Mexican thugs on the border, and hey why not throw in some Muslim terrorists trying to get in as well because someone on Facebooks says that's a thing - and I'm surprised it hadn't caused more controversy. It's not as bad as it could have been but it left a really sour taste in my mouth.

• I was rooting for Independence Day Resurgence, the original being an old guilty pleasure of mine, and I even really liked how the the sequel was embracing the alternate history concept. If I remember right Fox demanded only a year or some ridiculous turn-around time to go from greenlight to the screen, and good god does it show. It feels like a roughcut of all the available footage of a movie that never finished filming. An Independence Day sequel was always destined to be stupid, but it could have at least been, like, a complete movie!

• Similarly, I was looking forward to Poltergeist and even while watching it I thought some parts of its approach had potential - but there just wasn't enough. The movie overall was pretty short and felt like it was in a hurry to hit this-and-that-and-that-over-there plot point and get it over with. Case in point: in the climax of the original dozens of rotting skeletons come bursting out from the ground in spectacular fashion. The climax for the 2015 Poltergeist features a rotting skeleton bursting up from the ground - that's right, "a". As in a single measly rotting corpse. Who the gently caress reboots a 30-year old summer blockbuster with the intention of making it more modest and providing less content overall? It's like if they came out with "New! Lucky Charms: Now with 30% less marshmallows for the same price!"

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 1, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

And finally, I have to say in all my years of moviegoing I have never felt as cheated and used coming out of a movie theater than I did after Alien Covenant.

Call me dumb or naive - I own up to both - but I dunno, when you show me your posters for your movie called "Alien Covenant" and they look like these:

I don't think I'm being unreasonable to expect you're selling me an intense and frightening outer space creature feature revolving around that famous HR Giger-designed monster, a movie not unlike the film Alien which this marketing campaign is obviously trying really, really hard to evoke - and definitely wouldn't be expecting a ponderous gothic future riff on The Island of Dr Moreau centered on a snobby misanthropic robot jerk with daddy issues.

Well, the latter was what I got. And I do appreciate Michael Fassbender's performance and I know certain film enthusiasts really ate up what the movie actually was offering, but you could've given me Citizen Kane and I still would've been pissed if you had vehemently promised me Alien - the only Kane I'd be in the mood for then is the one who gets a creature bursting out of his chest!

I also have a bone to pick with film reviewers at large over this one, because I read a lot of reviews for this before going in and I don't feel they did an adequate job of resetting my expectations, and I think that's actually the first part of their jobs before even getting to the actual criticism. I'd read exactly one instance that mentioned the ads were something of a bait-and-switch and against the rest of the write-ups (which gave the overall impression that Ridley Scott was attempting a Force Awakens of the Alien series, oh and Michael Fassbender from Prometheus is back btw) that warning hadn't registered with me.

Is it fair to judge a movie by its ad campaign? Not really. But the damage is done. Alien Covenant is my most disappointing movie of the decade.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

I've told this story before, but a couple of Halloweens ago I was at Walmart and siting there on the shelf for $7 was Poltergeist on Blu Ray. I"m thinking "gently caress yeah! I haven't seen Poltergeist in years!" and just snap that bitch up.

Come a few days later, I pop it into the old player and I'm greeted with a poo poo rear end menu with a background of PS2 looking zombies scrolling past. Whatever, I've seen poo poo menus before, and hit play. The PS2 zombies zoom out to reveal a kid playing some game on his tablet.

"WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo?!"

I had either forgotten that there was a remake or had never known of it's existence before that moment. I watched the whole thing, and it made me angry how bad it is. It is so loving bad, it's not even worth watching to see how bad it is.

That must have been quite the mindfuck :staredog:

I liked the general approach they took with Poltergeist reboot, what with making the young son the protagonist and the shift in perspective that comes along with that, and it was actually a little ahead of this latest curve we're in of kid-centric supernatural horror, but they really needed to put in about 4x more :effort: than they appeared to because as is the movie feels like "babies first poltergeist".

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 2, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

That's really not fair to us dinguses. :colbert:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Barudak posted:

On Chesil Beach is not the most reprehensible film of the decade but it is a specific kind of self-pitying indulgence of melodrama with absolutely nothing to say much less show that its in there for me.

I just looked up the plot summary and just LOLLLLL if they really try to play that ending super dramatically.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Cemetry Gator posted:

I've seen people mention Star Trek Into Darkness, but I'm going to do you one better - Star Trek Beyond.

I hated this film in a way I rarely hate films.

The beginning of the film has a great idea - Kirk is bored and in a rut. It subverts our expectations, since we're used to being amazed, but for Kirk, it was Tuesday.

And that's it. The story is averted because instead of coming up with a story with themes, they instead said "hey, let's make another tent pole action film."

You're totally free to hate the movie regardless but just for the record, the movie starts with Kirk bored and in a rut, and it's implied he's considering leaving the Enterprise, going home and starting a family. The rest of the movie is about seeing what happens after he (literally) loses the Enterprise: he realizes that the Enterprise was his home and its crew was his family the whole time.

No argument about the rest but the movie does indeed have a story and themes.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

McCloud posted:

(except Rogue one)

You misspelled "especially".

I caught up with Rogue One recently and was flabbergasted that it didn't go down as a notorious, embarrassing failure, something that instantly discredits the very concept of doing genre-shifting spinoffs of the Star Wars franchise. The only way I can really describe it in one sentence is that it's not even a real movie, it's some kind of extremely expensive pretend-movie.

It completely falls apart any time anything Star Wars- related is on screen (which would be the majority of the runtime) until the climax where it finally seems to at least become an earnest Star Wars flick. Throw in a random guy in a Darth Vader costume and those shameless CGI doubles of dead actors that couldn't have been creepier if they had actually dug up Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher's corpses and manipulated them on set like marionette puppets and you've got one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen committed to film.

Was this actually a joke and I just missed that? Because it feels like some kind of comedy skit where the premise is "wouldn't it be crazy if they made a movie like this haha" except it's two hours long.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I don't know if my main point came through. I think Rogue One doesn't work on a very fundamental level. It might look nice in parts (and really cheap in others - it's weirdly inconsistent) but it's shot like some kind of war drama whose mise en scene is repeatedly shattered over and over again because of the inescapable presence of all the kitschy Star Wars iconography. You see this little girl crying in the middle of a battle with stormtroopers (stormtroopers for god's sake) and it's hilarious because war isn't terrible in Star Wars! War in Star Wars is fan-tastic! I can imagine one might say that this is the very notion that Rogue One is trying to deconstruct, but I'm sorry, the genie is out of the bottle, humpty dumpty has fallen, etc.

Like, I've never seen Detective Pikachu, but I feel pretty comfortable assuming they had at least a modicum of self-awareness and did not actually try to present it like it was Chinatown or something.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Honestly The Force Awakens was among my most disappointing movies of the decade upon first watch but I didn't include it because (1) it did kind of grow on me with time, (2) it's more for super-subjective sentimental-type reasons than anything else, and (3) I figure people might think I'm trolling.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who didn't care for TFA because it didn't feel sufficiently Star Wars enough. To me it was closer to something like The Fifth Element and at points was even reminding me more of Star Trek(!). I'd normally be much more forgiving about this except "remind the audience of Star Wars" was pretty clearly this movie's most critical self-assigned mission.

I was also put off by what initially seemed like the implication that the war with the Empire just kind of never really ended, which was a giant bummer. I can just see Abrams beginning his story treatment thinking, "You know, the original Star Wars never really stopped to go over the history and politics behind its war, so I'm not going to, either." And the obvious difference here is nobody saw anything before the original Star Wars, so there was nothing for them to care about. Going into TFA of course the foremost thing on everyone's mind is what's been going on in the Star Wars universe since we last saw it, and not being given even a cursory rundown was both disappointing and disorienting.

Likewise, according to the internet I'm supposed to pick a side between TLJ and ROS (or just hate them both), but... I like both of them? I felt like they got the look and feel of a Star Wars film about right (which after TFA I was no longer taking for granted), TLJ provided some vital context (yes, even a single line establishing that there was indeed a long period of peace was very helpful), and some nifty little meta subtext about getting over/coming to terms with Star Wars having been "ruined" by prequels and sequels. And ROS is this glorious, big dumb mess of a movie that's like if you asked 12-year-old me to make up a Star Wars movie, it just puts a big-rear end smile on my face.

(eh, last paragraph's kind of off-topic, sorry)

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 30, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

babypolis posted:

how about the part at the very beginning of the film where the lovable han solo style rogue murders a crippled fellow rebel because he might have inconvenienced him and then it never gets brought up again. what a horrible mess of a movie that was

If it makes you feel better, perhaps in the future they'll re-edit the scene so the crippled fellow rebel fires a gun at him first :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I don't know if my main point came through. I think Rogue One doesn't work on a very fundamental level. It might look nice in parts (and really cheap in others - it's weirdly inconsistent) but it's shot like some kind of war drama whose mise en scene is repeatedly shattered over and over again because of the inescapable presence of all the kitschy Star Wars iconography. You see this little girl crying in the middle of a battle with stormtroopers (stormtroopers for god's sake) and it's hilarious because war isn't terrible in Star Wars! War in Star Wars is fan-tastic! I can imagine one might say that this is the very notion that Rogue One is trying to deconstruct, but I'm sorry, the genie is out of the bottle, humpty dumpty has fallen, etc.

Like, I've never seen Detective Pikachu, but I feel pretty comfortable assuming they had at least a modicum of self-awareness and did not actually try to present it like it was Chinatown or something.

Just following up on this thought: I just caught up with Solo: A Star Wars Story and much of this has a similar presentaiton syle as Rogue One, except this time the humorous effect seems to be intentional!