Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

BigglesSWE posted:

Forgot to mention Jupiter Ascending, which is terrible, but, to its credit, I had a lot of fun watching it flail about in desperation.

It's one of those few bad films that is entertainingly bad rather than just dull: Eddie Redmayne's whispered dialog, our heroine constantly falling off things, her glamourous poverty, Sean Bean as the part-bee soldier. You can really say "what were they thinking?"

EDIT: it's far too though. You get tired of the stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I really only remember a couple scenes from American Sniper, and one of them was when he was about to shoot the Iraqi Sniper, there's a scene where the Iraqi Sniper kisses his family bye as he walks out the door.

It's a weird little scene that always stuck out to me because it's almost there to humanize the other side and then it's never picked back up, like it was cribbed from a better movie, and forgotten about during the rest of the process.

A lot of movies have these weird vestigial scenes and motifs, that I've always assumed were left over from earlier screenplays, edits and ambitions. My Name is Legend is full of them.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Special mention: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Ramrods the low-stakes fancy of the source material into the form of the LotR films. Chunks in unnecessary add-ons and warps the story's focus to up the action. Had a Denny's food tie-in more exciting than the film itself.

Surprised this didn't feature in more people's lists. There were certainly a lot worse films, but for the money and time and people involved, it was awful, like a mirror universe LotR where they made all the wrong decisions.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Roblo posted:

I think they have to top my list. Both from the fact they managed to be boring (which is quite a feat, given what's going on) and the fact they shat all over one of my favourite books from when I was a kid.

Turning a short, whimsical children's book into a boring 'epic' that had absolutely no charm whatsoever. Grim.

They're remarkably tedious. Action-action-action interleaved with drama, neither of which really touches you, like they do all touchstones of an epic without it actually meaning anything.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

The characters not being in danger during anything just makes it stupid. On the one hand its all serious stuff (tm) and then the barrel scene happens....

Good phrasing. Much like the last Indian Jones movie, it felt like they were on an theme park ride. Never in danger, just lots of thrills and spills.