Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Groly posted:

Do you mean 'Oldfashioned3.0.rar'? Here's a copy.

If there's another goon gigapack I'd be interested in getting in on that, too.

there were at least three, of which that is one, which I have downloaded, thanks a bunch!

the other two that I know of were the Grand Fromage modpack and the original Goon Gigapack. Grand Fromage's pack was still up for download as recently as a couple years ago, the original Gigapack had already all but disappeared from the Internet as far back as 2013 and may no longer exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I can't handle anything more complicated than a grid of squares that produce comercials and industrials. Is there anything modern that cater's to my more reasonable style?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Mechanical Ape posted:

Caesar III really burned my bacon because, while it was pretty, it was also very rigid in terms of what you needed to do to beat a scenario. Particularly the barbarian attacks and Caesar's demands, they forced you to develop a certain way according to a strict schedule or you were screwed.

Never felt like I could fully get my sandbox on, which is one reason I prefer Children of the Nile (and still play it to this day sometimes!).

Children of the Nile is my favourite one too. It's really chill and, unlike Impression's line-up, your little dudes don't require roads to get to places. The tutorial also covers every aspect you need to know about how to play the game well, which is rare.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Pneub posted:

I can't handle anything more complicated than a grid of squares that produce comercials and industrials. Is there anything modern that cater's to my more reasonable style?

Rise of industry maybe?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Entorwellian posted:

Children of the Nile is my favourite one too. It's really chill and, unlike Impression's line-up, your little dudes don't require roads to get to places. The tutorial also covers every aspect you need to know about how to play the game well, which is rare.

this game was great for the river mechanic - the year is split into three seasons, and the regular flooding of the nile determines those seasons. the deeply environmental nature of it was both soothing and reinforced how important the landscape was to ancient peoples in a way you rarely see in games

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWzJY5XFcP0

Me, squawking incoherently and flailing my limbs around: Custom ziggurat design!! C U S T O M Z I G G U R A T D E S I GN!!!

I saw this seven seconds ago and it is suddenly the only thing I want in my life.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 5, 2019

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

"Custom Ziggurat Design" sounds like something you'd see on a particularly terrible/awesome goon banner ad at the bottom the page.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
One recent city/village management game I really liked is ISLANDERS. It's very minimalist, don't go in expecting any deep resource management or supply chains or anything like that, but the building scoring interaction can get surprisingly complex at times. The core gameplay loop really clicks with me and really scratches that city builder itch, you can just play really chill and watch your tiny city organically develop.

Plus it's only fivebux.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Islanders is more of a puzzle game than a city builder to me because I don’t find the creative/open ended mode that interesting, but it’s absolutely worth $5. I’m not usually one for puzzle games but it’s incredibly pleasing to the senses and for me, hits a perfect spot of “enough challenge/thought to be stimulating” and “simple enough to be extremely chill.”

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Entorwellian posted:

luxury handset posted:

this game was great for the river mechanic - the year is split into three seasons, and the regular flooding of the nile determines those seasons. the deeply environmental nature of it was both soothing and reinforced how important the landscape was to ancient peoples in a way you rarely see in games

CotN had a lot of good ideas and I like playing it precisely because of how soothing and atmospheric it is, but it's not without its flaws either. Mostly the way the AI can't handle spread-out settlements, even though the game itself suggests you do it, and the combat is a bit lackluster though I've never thought combat should be the focus of a city-builder. It's still one of the best city-builders for making a pretty city and just relaxing though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

luxury handset posted:

Yes and it naturally created a social stratification. People living near the river were farmers and brick makers and the poorest class, meanwhile as you get further away from the river you start getting middle class people like shopkeepers, scribes, priests, and further away were all the noble houses and fancy temples. It was also neat to watch planting season kick in and literally hundreds of people go all out once to plant their fields.

I like how you could actually track the lineage of a family and see that they started as humble farmers, became shopkeepers, which afforded them education to become a scribe, then finally became nobility. The economy was real nice touch too, instead of citizens trading in currency everyone trades food for what they want/need. Government workers are paid in bread so it was neat to see bread end up in your nobility's pantry because of all the trading going on.
They really should make a sequel to that, CotN might actually be one of my favorite city builders ever.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Has someone got a link to these Banished mega mods?

I've had a look on the steam workshop, but it's been so long since I played the game I can't really remember what changes I would like, all I remember was it being somewhat lacking, but it sounds like there are mods that expand the content considerably?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know it's not in the OP, but I played a ton of Caesar 2 way back before I knew what the hell I was doing to even keep a town afloat, so I lost a lot. Didn't matter, though, still had fun. I'm listening to the music on youtube and it's a weird mix of 'I don't remember that' to 'holy poo poo, I immediately remember every single note, despite not having played it in 23-24 years!'. Good stuff.

Was Caesar 3 a huge improvement? I wonder if I should bother playing 2 again, or if 3 just blows it out of the water completely.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wish more stuff would emulate SC3 and 4 now; plopping down everything is fun but I want to see organically grown (or close enough) cities like Skylines.

Also I want to make really lovely cities instead of shining utopias.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Anyone remember Afterlife? It was a LucasArts city builder where the gimmick was that you built up heaven and hell simultaneously. It was pretty goofy but I thought it was fun. Sadly I don't think I have my CD anymore.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know it's not in the OP, but I played a ton of Caesar 2 way back before I knew what the hell I was doing to even keep a town afloat, so I lost a lot. Didn't matter, though, still had fun. I'm listening to the music on youtube and it's a weird mix of 'I don't remember that' to 'holy poo poo, I immediately remember every single note, despite not having played it in 23-24 years!'. Good stuff.

Was Caesar 3 a huge improvement? I wonder if I should bother playing 2 again, or if 3 just blows it out of the water completely.

I didn't like Caesar 3 as much, at the time. The graphics seemed less stylish something, and I missed the province and military mechanics from 2. None of the new stuff was as interesting. That might be a minority opinion, though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PunkBoy posted:

Anyone remember Afterlife? It was a LucasArts city builder where the gimmick was that you built up heaven and hell simultaneously. It was pretty goofy but I thought it was fun. Sadly I don't think I have my CD anymore.

I remember it. Never got very far in it.

Good news if you were hoping to play again. It is on GOG for $6

https://www.gog.com/game/afterlife

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pharnakes posted:

Has someone got a link to these Banished mega mods?

I've had a look on the steam workshop, but it's been so long since I played the game I can't really remember what changes I would like, all I remember was it being somewhat lacking, but it sounds like there are mods that expand the content considerably?
The latest Colonial Charter mod is what you’re looking for, I think. Calling it a “mod” is a pretty big understatement.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

I've never heard of this and dont really have the patience for older games but if a game came out tomorrow with this premise that's be a day 1 buy for me

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

PunkBoy posted:

i tried it but couldn't figure out how to get a money-positive economy going even after consulting guides

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

President Ark posted:

i tried it but couldn't figure out how to get a money-positive economy going even after consulting guides

It requires a bunch of really extremely unintuitive micromanagement of angel/demon pay rates and an understanding of how to properly lay out heaven and hell. I played the poo poo out of the game back when it was new and it took me a loving age to figure out how to actually succeed at it. I couldn't tell you the specific steps to do it now, unfortunately.

The game absolutely oozes charm and character from every pixel but it is not easy to figure out how to actually play.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

It requires a bunch of really extremely unintuitive micromanagement of angel/demon pay rates and an understanding of how to properly lay out heaven and hell. I played the poo poo out of the game back when it was new and it took me a loving age to figure out how to actually succeed at it. I couldn't tell you the specific steps to do it now, unfortunately.

The game absolutely oozes charm and character from every pixel but it is not easy to figure out how to actually play.

The game also has some amazing natural disasters in between birds of paradise and disco inferno. :allears:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The latest Colonial Charter mod is what you’re looking for, I think. Calling it a “mod” is a pretty big understatement.

The last time I looked at it was probably 2 or 3 years ago. What all does it encompass now?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Islanders is more of a puzzle game than a city builder to me because I don’t find the creative/open ended mode that interesting, but it’s absolutely worth $5. I’m not usually one for puzzle games but it’s incredibly pleasing to the senses and for me, hits a perfect spot of “enough challenge/thought to be stimulating” and “simple enough to be extremely chill.”

Yeah, I enjoy Islanders but it is to "real" city builders as Mini Metro is to "real" transport simulators -- less a simulation and more a strategy game that has a city aesthetic. It's a pretty good strategy game, though; it's founded on NIMBY/YIMBY dynamics and you do end up with something that resembles a real city. It's just unlikely to scratch the hardcore mayor itch, is all.

Mechanical Ape fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 12, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anyone know how to use the water tower in Surviving the Aftermath? I built one but no water was put in it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

ninjewtsu posted:

I've never heard of this and dont really have the patience for older games but if a game came out tomorrow with this premise that's be a day 1 buy for me

From what I remember, all the building types were based on the 7 deadly sins/heavenly virtues and you had to keep track of what was happening in the "real" world to know what to build. Also hell becomes more prosperous with nightmare road layouts. It was neat!

President Ark posted:

Yeah, that's my experience as well. I never got far into it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWzJY5XFcP0

Me, squawking incoherently and flailing my limbs around: Custom ziggurat design!! C U S T O M Z I G G U R A T D E S I GN!!!

I saw this seven seconds ago and it is suddenly the only thing I want in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0KXunemXag

And now suddenly a second one!? At least one of them is likely to be good.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That link is dead already.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Weird. Here is the steam page?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1079510/Sumerians/

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Not quite a city builder but adjacent, Project: Highrise on steam is a decent game if you’re nostalgic for Sim Tower. I’ve been playing it again traveling since it runs on my potato laptop.

It definitely has some QOL issues and doesn’t innovate greatly from Sim/Yoot Tower, but if you enjoyed that and want updated visuals, it’s a decent play.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Project Highrise turned me into a monster. Apartments with tenants in the way for a much needed restructuring to increase profits? Well, you COULD pay a moderate fee and they move out, no questions asked. OR you could tremendously raise the rent of just those apartments until they move out. New free space and some extra money. It's a win-win situation. For you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baller Time posted:

Project Highrise turned me into a monster. Apartments with tenants in the way for a much needed restructuring to increase profits? Well, you COULD pay a moderate fee and they move out, no questions asked. OR you could tremendously raise the rent of just those apartments until they move out. New free space and some extra money. It's a win-win situation. For you.

That is how landlording works yes.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I finally got around to playing anno 2205 and it's not that bad. Not as bad as people say at least. There is a lot of false depth in Anno games and it cut a decent amount of it out. Some things are really bad, notably the time to go between regions and that you can't do anything else during the RTS ship minigame. Anno 1800 handles that all much better with instant region switches and the ability to still manage your cities while fighting pirates and wars. If they went back and retroactively patched in better region switching it'd be alright. Wish they spent more time making the ship battle RTS minigame actually good/fun, because as implemented you just kinda spam shields and use powerups now and then. And there's not really much micro at all. Anno 1800 does that better too.

It's also kind of annoying that every quest is "right click on this thing, right click on a location, wait" and you can shift queue but it won't properly queue the quest actions. This is made worse with region switches taking an eternity, even on an NVME drive because it's likely CPU bound and not IO bound. It's effectively Anno 2205: alt tab a lot.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 24, 2019

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

President Ark posted:

I actually got pretty good at Afterlife because, at the time, I thought it was pretty clever and humorous for a strategy game.

It's a pain in the rear end to play. Every reward/punishment amenity needs to have it's angel/demon slider bars balanced constantly between permanent and temporary residents. Also never house and educate more angels/demons than you need. The roads in Hell need to be long to tech up up your punishments, but road maintenance is also massive. You can abuse the bank loans; the Heaven bank gives better rates. Also the disasters can also be absolutely crippling when your Limbo Bars can't hold the excess wayward souls that result.

I still like it though. A modern reboot with modern gameplay sensibilities would be amazing.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Mayveena posted:

Anyone know how to use the water tower in Surviving the Aftermath? I built one but no water was put in it.

Do you also have wells drawing water?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

dudeness posted:

Do you also have wells drawing water?

Yep at least they say they are operating.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Mayveena posted:

Yep at least they say they are operating.

Weird, might be a bug or even a change, the game is kinda early. I think you can also check your water input/output at the top of the screen, maybe you have enough people drawing water that it isn't going to the tower, if you have a surplus it should be filling up.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

dudeness posted:

Weird, might be a bug or even a change, the game is kinda early. I think you can also check your water input/output at the top of the screen, maybe you have enough people drawing water that it isn't going to the tower, if you have a surplus it should be filling up.

Ok I’ll check that thanks

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I picked up Foundation and it's a fun enough game, but dear lord does the way it tries to simulate wind blowing through grass and forest make me queasy. I played it for about two hours and it took me half a day to stop feeling sick afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Played Jurassic world evolution yesterday.
It's requires a ton of micromanagement. So much so that I am planning on refunding it, unless someone can tell me you can automate fossil extraction and feeding/fixing fences/healing dinos.

It's like a bad version of the new zoo tycoon. The new zoo game is smart enough that staff do their job without you having to micromanage them.
Now, micromanaging animal breeding is another story....(loving peafowls)