Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
this is the thread to call people who don't feel comfortable sacrificing their principles to vote for everything to stay lovely as opposed to getting even shittier accelerationists or fascists or whatever dumb rear end dipshit thing you want to say as you try to demand people vote for a candidate they hate since the op of that one thread is a bitchass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
convince me to vote for joe biden, a man who does not have, and has never had, skin

i dare you

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What if Joe renames himself to Jeb Biden

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
joe!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
COWARDS

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

voting for joe, harris, and probably warren isn't materially different from voting for trump so why should i bother?

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just wanna say that talking about how Trump's a monster that's gonna get a bunch of people killed and finishing with "and that's why you gotta go out and VOTE!" is pretty drat funny.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

my legs are open when the sun is high

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

*looking at the end results of massive, extremely racist voting disenfranchisement policies* fukcing, lazy rear end non-voters gave us drumpf

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It rules that none of the people who are extremely mad that I won't vote for Joe Biden are in here defending their dipshits ideas almost like they know they're compromising the values they claim to have when they do jt

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It rules that none of the people who are extremely mad that I won't vote for Joe Biden are in here defending their dipshits ideas almost like they know they're compromising the values they claim to have when they do jt

people without strong convictions rarely find the need to defend them. they would rather fantasize about all the horrid poo poo they could get away with if they were rich

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm absolutely done holding my nose for "not the republican" and i'm far far from the only person that feels this way in america

republicans actually win elections by offering (terribly evil) things their (terribly evil) base wants. p weird that dems are unwilling to do this *~for some reason~*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm absolutely done holding my nose for "not the republican" and i'm far far from the only person that feels this way in america

:same:

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was reminded of this bit from Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail

This was written almost fifty years ago and it's just gotten worse and worse since then.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
not voting for libs kicks rear end and sometimes it leads to hilarious results like the 2018 midterms in missouri where the good ballot stuff won bigly and mccaskill ate poo poo anyways

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
im voting for a lesser evil and i encourage yall to do the same

bernie sanders

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Zhulik posted:

im voting for a lesser evil and i encourage yall to do the same

bernie sanders

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

is this the new Joe Biden thread

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
I don't really understand any of the arguments that the vote bluers make. those marginalized groups get and protect their rights by marching and/or rioting in the streets. there's value in putting the issues you care about on the voting record because politicians will see that they'll have to do some catering to those groups, and they won't if they are assured the vote regardless because you're price is righting the election. you can also start rioting in the streets to help minority communities. I don't get how someone who claims to be a leftist doesn't understand how racial, enviromentalism, lgbtq+, foreign policy, and other stuff is all tied to economics, namely capitalism, and voting against your interests by voting for capitalist candidates also hurts those weakened communities. as things get worse, because they will D or R, direct action is all the more important such as rioting

idk, bernie sanders is already a compromise candidate and I don't feel like compromising more so bernie has my vote no matter the primary

thank you for reading this, please riot

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The issue with the vote blue no matter who people isn't so much with their core argument, but more with the weight they place upon it. Like, I can understand the logic of "if you're in a swing state, you should vote Democratic as a harm reduction measure," but not voting in that situation is such an extremely insignificantly minor thing that is basically equivalent to "buying some ice cream instead of donating that money to charity" in terms of the impact it has on the world. They use the stupid reasoning of "each person who didn't vote is fully responsible for everything Trump does" which is obviously dumb as hell.

And there's actual harm to actually telling other people to do this, even if the logic might make some sort of sense on an individual level. It correctly pisses people off when you tell them to vote for people who intend to hurt them. It is literally no different than demanding a black person support an open racist just because the alternate is an even worse open racist. They're welcome to make that choice as some sort of harm reduction if they choose, but you're an rear end in a top hat if you demand it from others.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
im just gonna draw a dick on my ballot

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

is this the dunk on dickeye thread?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

i fell for it in 2016

never again

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

And there's actual harm to actually telling other people to do this, even if the logic might make some sort of sense on an individual level. It correctly pisses people off when you tell them to vote for people who intend to hurt them. It is literally no different than demanding a black person support an open racist just because the alternate is an even worse open racist. They're welcome to make that choice as some sort of harm reduction if they choose, but you're an rear end in a top hat if you demand it from others.

Except there are plenty of actually marginalized people who vote for harm mitigation under your scenario and are fed up with self appointed leftist white dudes who won’t lift a finger to do that. Who are you or I to tell them that’s wrong? You’re imagining a scenario where the protest voter is the most oppressed person in the room but it could easily be the opposite.

Tl; dr - if actual marginalized communities want to do something different fine but until then white guys should vote blue and probably shut the gently caress up for once about their fee fees.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Was reminded of this bit from Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail

This was written almost fifty years ago and it's just gotten worse and worse since then.

Time is a flat circle. :hai:

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

yronic heroism posted:

Except there are plenty of actually marginalized people who vote for harm mitigation under your scenario and are fed up with self appointed leftist white dudes who won’t lift a finger to do that. Who are you or I to tell them that’s wrong? You’re imagining a scenario where the protest voter is the most oppressed person in the room but it could easily be the opposite.

Tl; dr - if actual marginalized communities want to do something different fine but until then white guys should vote blue and probably shut the gently caress up for once about their fee fees.

I was born a white catholic and went to a white catholic high school and there I was told I was the most oppressed group of people

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Voting for a candidate that you hate to keep someone that you hate even more out of office is not endorsement of hate.

That some of you are too loving stupid to get this is not my problem.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
every vote in america is a vote for blue ocean event

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
The only moral choice is not voting at all. The only way to win the game is to not play it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

Except there are plenty of actually marginalized people who vote for harm mitigation under your scenario and are fed up with self appointed leftist white dudes who won’t lift a finger to do that.

You don't actually care about marginalized people.

e: also

quote:

Who are you or I to tell them that’s wrong?

Who, exactly, are you to presume to speak for them?

Majorian has issued a correction as of 05:21 on Oct 25, 2019

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

i love *looks at notes* voting for harm mitigation

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the harm mitigation act of 1964

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
But for real though, can anyone look back at the last half century and honestly say that voting blue has worked? Has it halted or even slowed the degeneration of America into a fascist state? The left has been holding their nose and voting D for election after election and in that time we've gone from Nixon to Reagan to Bush to Trump. This poo poo is not working. Voting for the lesser evil now only guarantees a greater evil later on down the road. Biden is running a platform of returning to the Obama years, he wants to turn back the clock to 2009 even though the end result of that was Trump. If he gets in the best case scenario is you get another Trump a few years later, and more likely is that you get someone worse. It's hosed.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I don't think anyone in this thread is saying they WANT to vote for Biden, but if he happens to win the primaries, what's the right move come general election day? Not voting is just ignoring the problem, right? So what's the ideal thing to do? Writing in for Bernie is essentially the same as not voting, from a practical standpoint.

I'm not saying voting for Biden is cool, or even that I would if he wins primaries, because holy god would that be a lovely situation. I'm sincerely curious what the best thing to do in that situation is. Voting blue no matter who is definitely not improving things, so what can be done to try and improve things?

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I think you don't even need to appeal to principles not to vote for Joe Biden since he's going to lose regardless and the more he loses by the better. although I think Warren's going to be the nominee either way

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread is saying they WANT to vote for Biden, but if he happens to win the primaries, what's the right move come general election day? Not voting is just ignoring the problem, right? So what's the ideal thing to do? Writing in for Bernie is essentially the same as not voting, from a practical standpoint.

I'm not saying voting for Biden is cool, or even that I would if he wins primaries, because holy god would that be a lovely situation. I'm sincerely curious what the best thing to do in that situation is. Voting blue no matter who is definitely not improving things, so what can be done to try and improve things?

Voting is ignoring the problem, its why it only rolls around every so often. It's the car freshener of this demon cracker empire. If you have strategic reasons for voting, go wild. If not, who cares.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

You don't actually care about marginalized people.

Spoken like a true white guy. gently caress off.

quote:

Who, exactly, are you to presume to speak for them?

Observing that someone exists is not speaking for them. For example, a majority of black people vote blue for president (followed by no vote, followed way the hell behind by R and third parties). That’s not speaking for anyone. It’s just an actual observable fact. Again, gently caress off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CodfishCartographer posted:

The answer is that we need to build up a working class movement in this country that is able and willing to use its power to push for radical changes. People need to be organized and mobilized from the ground up. No real change is going to come from congress or the white house, that much is obvious. Every good thing we've ever gotten has been because of people organizing and fighting for it outside the halls of formal power. My support of Bernie is purely because he seems willing to help build that movement, but if he looses then we'll just have to go on without him. Who you vote for/whether you vote at all is a distant second in importance behind whether or not you are involved in organizing your community and radicalizing people.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Homeless Friend posted:

Voting is ignoring the problem, its why it only rolls around every so often. It's the car freshener of this demon cracker empire. If you have strategic reasons for voting, go wild. If not, who cares.

I'm genuinely curious how I can help try to fix the problem, rather than ignoring it, is what I'm trying to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Colonel Cancer posted:

What if Joe renames himself to Jeb Biden

Josef Robinette Biden

Jrb Biden

JRB!