Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ikanreed posted:

Bernie is the compromise candidate

yeah unironically this what i realy want is to behead the job creators and take their money and use it to make it so everyone has good lives

but i cant have that

so i settle for bernie

thats my bare minimum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

a vote for a democratic president is as much a vote for fascism as a republican is

but guess what: bernard sanders isn't even a democrat!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Elect death for president imo

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

a lot of dumbass libs who learned nothing from 2016 itt

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
not sure how many people have to say, on camera, that either bernie is elected or they/their family dies before people understand what the stakes are

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
its a difficult thing, to make it to the ballot box with a perfectly balanced amount of pressure on the belt around your neck to not cause a health concern but still turn your face blue

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

This sort of thing proves that you don't understand what you're talking about. In this situation you are choosing between two options that both are guaranteed to gently caress over the poor and minority groups. When you take into account the likelihood of a bad Democratic candidate causing Democratic losses at the state/local levels, it's not nearly as black/white as you're trying to make it out to be.

Like, I sympathize with this attitude but it's pretty much the definition of someone coming to a wrong conclusion due to oversimplifying things.

How convenient for your argument that these candidates are self evidently equally bad and you don't need to demonstrate this absurdity. And you tell me I'm oversimplifing things.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
if you actually care about minority groups, then you should be yelling at people to do direct action stuff since that gets results infinitely more instead of some lovely president election that's decided by WWE's finest writers. elected dems don't really do anything about this ICE thing that magically appeared at the beginning of 2017, not much from them about this cops being a white supremacist gang, very little on this healthcare is economically killing people thing, don't get me started on foreign policy, etc. this whole why not both argument just kind of seems like a backpedal since you're only talking about the vote blue no matter who thing before. and then if you say that's derailing, i'll say that if you don't have the courage to derail a thread on a dead forum or whatever meme name we use for this place, then do you have the courage to go out there to support your comrades in arms in those issues that are clearly important. my stance is that is that you should vote for the candidates and issues that best represent you, since that's kind of the ideal for a democracy or something, not this yankees vs mets thing. you should check every box and there is value in showing that these issues matter on record even if it isn't gaming a victory. i want to stress that i went to catholic school and i was told many times there that catholics were the most oppressed people so i'm allowed to make this stance because my teachers wouldn't lie to me and actually be not truthful about the position of well off white people in the world, right? idk, i hope this helps

Turncoat Mommy has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Oct 26, 2019

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
oh and yeah, I do think it's the candidate and their campaign's responsibility to get people to vote for them, the voter shouldn't be obligated to vote for a particular candidate. I recognize that I'm a dullard and could be wrong, but these are the thoughts I have on this at this time. I'll be sure to report if they change. thank you

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
For context, this thread only exists because BENGHAZI 2 had a melt down in the Guillotines thread over the suggestion that people would and should vote for Biden in the unlikely event that Biden is nominated.

Like, this isn't and has never been an either or situation where anyone is saying vote for Biden and gently caress doing all of the necessary work we have to do.

So I guess, while I think it's a good idea to go over what actually needs doing to make reformism work, it's not actually particularly relevant to this thread and I doubt anyone "pro" Biden voting (not just me) is unaware of this.

Voting for a shithead is something you do once every few years for a few hours, actual change is something you do every single day.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Voting is actually dumb and bad and I just lie and say I do it to get out of work. The idea hillary voters are posting in this forum makes me uncomfortable even more uncomfortable then you marks who are gonna vote for biden

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Lmbo voting for Joe Biden, even hypothetically

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Voting for Joe Biden would be like voting for Trudeau a few days ago. Fucken lame and stupid.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Homeless Friend posted:

Lmbo voting for Joe Biden, even hypothetically

Lmbo for not making any coherent arguments this entire time.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Voting for Joe Biden would be like voting for Trudeau a few days ago. Fucken lame and stupid.

Very true. But would you rather not have loving lame and stupid and instead have outright malicious?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

lmao you think biden isn't malicious

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

lmao you think biden isn't malicious

I forgot how stupid people here can be. Even Bernie is malicious. The entire loving system is malicious.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The only 'licious that describes Joe Biden is DElicious

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why should I take part in the political process of an illegitimate colonialist state like America? Voting means that the populace give its implicit consent for the continued existence of a nation that by all rights shouldn't exist. Seems pretty hosed up to me.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Why should I take part in the political process of an illegitimate colonialist state like America? Voting means that the populace give its implicit consent for the continued existence of a nation that by all rights shouldn't exist. Seems pretty hosed up to me.

Voting doesn't give consent, they already have consent no matter what they do, they'll happily walk all over you, so loving vote for someone who'll walk all over the least number of people.

Why is this such a hard concept for people to grasp.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Oh man you should hear the pizzagate stories you hear in line waiting to vote.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

José Saramago’s Seeing tells the story of the strange events in the unnamed capital city of an unidentified democratic country. When the election day morning is marred by torrential rains, voter turnout is disturbingly low, but the weather breaks by mid-afternoon and the population heads en masse to their voting stations. The government's relief is short-lived, however, when vote counting reveals that over 70 percent of the ballots cast in the capital have been left blank. Baffled by this apparent civic lapse, the government gives the citizenry a chance to make amends just one week later with another election day. The results are worse: Now 83 percent of the ballots are blank.

Is this an organized conspiracy to overthrow not just the ruling government but the entire democratic system? If so, who is behind it, and how did they manage to organize hundreds of thousands of people into such subversion without being noticed? The city continues to function near-normally throughout, the people parrying each of the government's thrusts in inexplicable unison and with a truly Gandhian level of nonviolent resistance. The lesson of this thought-experiment is clear: the danger today is not passivity but pseudo-activity, the urge to “be active,” to “participate,” in order to mask the vacuity of what goes on. People intervene all the time. People “do something.” Academics participate in meaningless debates, and so on. The truly difficult thing is to step back, to withdraw. Those in power often prefer even a “critical” participation, a dialogue, to silence, because just to engage us in dialogue, is to make sure our ominous passivity is broken. The voters’ abstention is thus a true political act: it forcefully confronts us with the vacuity of today’s democracies.

This, exactly, is how citizens should act when faced with the choice between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. When Stalin was asked in the late 1920s which deviation is worse, the Rightist one or the Leftist one, he snapped back: They are both worse! Is it not the same with the choice American voters are confronting in the 2016 presidential elections? Trump is obviously “worse.” He enacts a decay of public morality. He promises a Rightist turn. But he at least promises a change. Hillary is “worse” since she makes changing nothing look desirable.

BernieTheBolshevik
Oct 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CodfishCartographer posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread is saying they WANT to vote for Biden, but if he happens to win the primaries, what's the right move come general election day? Not voting is just ignoring the problem, right? So what's the ideal thing to do? Writing in for Bernie is essentially the same as not voting, from a practical standpoint.

I'm not saying voting for Biden is cool, or even that I would if he wins primaries, because holy god would that be a lovely situation. I'm sincerely curious what the best thing to do in that situation is. Voting blue no matter who is definitely not improving things, so what can be done to try and improve things?

do a communist revolution

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Meanwhile in reality that isn't going to happen without organisation that you just don't have. So vote for hypothetical Biden.

BernieTheBolshevik posted:

do a communist revolution

Yes please.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
roko's basilisk but for people who refused to vote for mayor pete

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anarchist Mae posted:

Lmbo for not making any coherent arguments this entire time.

Very true. But would you rather not have loving lame and stupid and instead have outright malicious?

No, that's why I'm not voting for Joe

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I completely agree with the premise behind lesser evilism but Joe Biden is a pedophile and a rapist so I cannot vote for him.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

lmao you think biden is coherent

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anarchist Mae posted:

Meanwhile in reality that isn't going to happen without organisation that you just don't have. So vote for hypothetical Biden.

Yes please.

It's funny that you say that because a vote for Biden makes the communist revolution less likely in the long run. Biden, like Obama would lull the center left into complacency while things continued to deteriorate, and by the time another crisis comes along to wake them up from it we'd already have full blown fascism in the US. Trump is worse because he's a right wing monster, but Biden is worse as well because his presidency would incubate an even more terrible monster to be released right as he leaves office.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
if joe biden really wanted me to vote for him he'd wrap a chain around my head

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Anarchist Mae posted:

Voting doesn't give consent, they already have consent no matter what they do, they'll happily walk all over you, so loving vote for someone who'll walk all over the least number of people.

Why is this such a hard concept for people to grasp.

Because Biden won't walk all over any fewer people, he'll just be slightly more polite about it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

TrilliontonNixon posted:

It's funny that you say that because a vote for Biden makes the communist revolution less likely in the long run. Biden, like Obama would lull the center left into complacency while things continued to deteriorate, and by the time another crisis comes along to wake them up from it we'd already have full blown fascism in the US. Trump is worse because he's a right wing monster, but Biden is worse as well because his presidency would incubate an even more terrible monster to be released right as he leaves office.

To me, not voting has roots in accerlationism where the hope is things get worse so the revolution occurs. But to me, it's somewhat the opposite where things getting less worse in the short term, just mean things get even horrifically worse in the long run.

If Hillary was president right now, 90% of policies would be the same. Thered likely be only like 6 or 7 supreme court justices because none would get considered by McConnell, we likely are in a crash because hillary wouldn't be as willing to just open the loving spigots to delay the recession until after 2020 like trump, and the now ascendant left would never have happened- it would have been smothered by the Clinton's dominant control of power.

I dont see how Biden would be any different than that, with the centrists crushing any leftwing momentum and presiding over 4 more years of stagnation, concentration camps (but run efficiently!), and more efficient use of death squads over seas. Warren would likely be the same though to maybe a lesser extent - not so on foreign affairs though. Like yeah, trump sucks but the lesser of two evils has been tried for 3 decades and we somehow still keep ending up with the greater evil.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

really queer Christmas posted:

To me, not voting has roots in accerlationism where the hope is things get worse so the revolution occurs.

It's not

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Byzantine posted:

Because Biden won't walk all over any fewer people, he'll just be slightly more polite about it.

I'll just have to take your word(s) for it.

This is really not worth any of our times to argue over as it's not going to happen and I sure as gently caress don't care to go over the details of Biden vs Trump as that probably wouldn't be great for my mental health.

gently caress it, vote how you want.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

If only I had a gigantic post attached that also explained how it's actually different

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anarchist Mae posted:

I'll just have to take your word(s) for it.

This is really not worth any of our times to argue over as it's not going to happen and I sure as gently caress don't care to go over the details of Biden vs Trump as that probably wouldn't be great for my mental health.

gently caress it, vote how you want.

I mean we have historical proof of lovely centrists being followed by further right shitheads, which drags the center right and makes the process that much worse next time around, you don't have to shrug and go WELL IF YOU SAY SO all pass agg

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

really queer Christmas posted:

If only I had a gigantic post attached that also explained how it's actually different

Too many words

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
the only reason people vote democrat is they are deluded to a greater or lesser extent that a blue president will somehow slow down or reverse america's long march towards it's disgusting and evil destiny

it doesn't, but president blue is much better at keeping the media pointing at his smooth charismatic voice instead of where the bombs are falling, creating a false sense that everything is okay

nobody solves a problem when they've been lulled into thinking there isn't one

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean we have historical proof of lovely centrists being followed by further right shitheads, which drags the center right and makes the process that much worse next time around, you don't have to shrug and go WELL IF YOU SAY SO all pass agg

What's that got to do with anything though? Like, do you think I don't know this?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If Warren was/is winning by more we probably wouldn't even be having this argument because everyone will absolutely swallow their pride and vote for her even the biggest bernie bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Too many words

Harsh but fair