Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Toxic Mental posted:

If Warren was/is winning by more we probably wouldn't even be having this argument because everyone will absolutely swallow their pride and vote for her even the biggest bernie bros

no. bernie is already the lesser evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Toxic Mental posted:

If Warren was/is winning by more we probably wouldn't even be having this argument because everyone will absolutely swallow their pride and vote for her even the biggest bernie bros

Bernie is compromise enough, I don't need to vote for a liar who was a Republican during the Reagan administration.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
knowing i contributed to hillarys vote total was truly shameful, now we are forever condemned to hear how she won the 'popular' vote

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

If Biden is the nominee, well I'd be depressed as hell, but I'd also thoroughly enjoy watching him lose to Trump in a landslide, because it'd be funny

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1113862077842640898

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
love to vote for the lesser fascist

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

If Warren were doing better, and Bernie doing worse, you’d see a lot fewer people here interested in electoralism.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Anarchist Mae posted:

How convenient for your argument that these candidates are self evidently equally bad and you don't need to demonstrate this absurdity. And you tell me I'm oversimplifing things.

You said a thing that was dumb; that the Democrat was "less likely to gently caress over minorities/the poor." This is dumb because both are guaranteed do gently caress them over. There is no neutral option here, just different degrees of harm. Most liberals seems to view the Democratic candidate as "mild improvement, even if it's not ideal" but this is wrong. In the same post I acknowledged that in the specific role as president the Republican is still very likely to be worse. The problem is that a bad Democratic president is virtually certain to result in massive losses at the state/local level during their presidency. This happened under Obama, and Obama was far more popular than Hillary would have been. On the other hand, a bad Republican like Trump motivated high turn-out in 2018.

Does the extra harm from the Republican being president outweigh the harm of Republicans making large gains at the state/local level? I don't know. And because it's difficult/impossible to know, it's dumb to act like it's some black/white moral thing whether someone votes for the Democratic presidential candidate in an election like that. And as I also said in that post, this is ignoring the whole "a bad Democrat increases the chances of a Republican following them" thing.

It is not very common that people get angry at others for voting for the lesser evil Democrat, but it is extremely common for people to demand others "vote blue no matter who" and condemn them for not doing so (or even expressing hesitation to do so). I'd probably agree with you that it's dumb for someone to get really mad at someone else who says they'll vote "blue no matter who," but that doesn't happen nearly as often as the opposite.

Anarchist Mae posted:

Voting doesn't give consent, they already have consent no matter what they do, they'll happily walk all over you, so loving vote for someone who'll walk all over the least number of people.

Why is this such a hard concept for people to grasp.

The reason I said you're oversimplifying it is that you're ignoring the consequences who the president is has on the rest of the country, in terms of their impact on state/local governments. A huge amount of progress was made by the right (on issues like restricting abortion, voter suppression, etc) in states across the nation under Obama, due to massive Democratic losses in state legislatures during his tenure.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 06:16 on Oct 26, 2019

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

im voting for bluenard sanders. the only question is if he is the democratic nominee or if i have to write him in.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

A huge amount of progress was made by the right (on issues like restricting abortion, voter suppression, etc) in states across the nation under Obama, due to massive Democratic losses in state legislatures during his tenure.

It's a good thing that the right has not been able to entrench their position and make even more progress under Trump.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

It's a good thing that the right has not been able to entrench their position and make even more progress under Trump.

tbf, if hillary had won, the gop would've taken over enough states to call a new constitutional convention

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

You said a thing that was dumb; that the Democrat was "less likely to gently caress over minorities/the poor." This is dumb because both are guaranteed do gently caress them over. There is no neutral option here, just different degrees of harm.

worth emphasizing here that the different degree of harm isn't real

if there is such a thing (which can't be proven unless you can travel between reality like sliders), it isn't less harm. its merely a different acceleration curve

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
what’s all this “Bernie is my compromise candidate” bullshit

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

It would be better if there were a younger LGBTQ+ WOC candidate who was even more to the left than Bernie on some issues, and who was eligible for the Dem nomination, and who stood a chance of winning. But there’s not, so we’ll compromise and back Bernie to the hilt.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

ONLY vote for gay black femlenin

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

usa has moved so far to the right in the last 50 years, a tepid socdem grandpa is considered "extreme left" by mainstream pundits, op. bernie is the compromise candidate, because usa is right now 100% looking at a civil war/revolution in the next 20 or so years that'll make 1917 look like a loving walk in the park, and the only way that won't happen is if bernie wins and drags usa kicking and screaming out of mid-19th-century politics.

bernie is the compromise candidate, if he doesn't win, guillotines will.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

a vote for joe biden is a vote for the end times

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it's 100% accurate is what it is op

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Bernie is the only candidate left of center soooo

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Majorian posted:

It would be better if there were a younger LGBTQ+ WOC candidate who was even more to the left than Bernie on some issues, and who was eligible for the Dem nomination, and who stood a chance of winning. But there’s not, so we’ll compromise and back Bernie to the hilt.

What the gently caress is this poo poo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if utilitarianism drives your vote you may as well have “bend me over and stick the fash in pls” tattooed on your forehead. you get the minimum you’re willing to accept and if the minimum is the just-barely-distinguishable-from-R then that’s what you get. same principle as a strike you fuckin scabs. vote for Bernie

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Real talk one vote never changed anything in a national election and even if you could mind control every single C-SPAM poster/lurker into voting the way you want it wouldn't change anything either unless they were all located in one key county.

Trying to convince individual posters to vote the way you want is a waste of time.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
clinton won the popular vote and it wasn't even close. shame that isn't how you actually win an american election though. considering that 66% of the recent presidents were elected in this way, perhaps you should, i don't know, go to michigan??? just an idea

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

im starting a fund to move all cspam posters into one key county so our votes can finally matter

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Someone asked why we refer to Bernie as a compromise candidate, and I explained why. Why is that difficult for you to understand?

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
i live in a ""battleground"" state but turns out when you give up on winning such a state, it turns into a "red state". weird. wonder if these things are related

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

ur in my world now posted:

i live in a ""battleground"" state but turns out when you give up on winning such a state, it turns into a "red state". weird. wonder if these things are related

they stopped caring about my state the second claire mccaskill won her election against the legitimate rape guy but didn't vote for obama and started treating it as though it wasn't called the bellweather state for however loving long because democrats are useless assholes willing to burn down everything poor as soon as they don't like the smell of somewhere~

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Toxic Mental posted:

gently caress poo poo piss!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Bernie is a compromise because he isn't going to gulag half the nation upon entering the White House

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
my single issue vote is mandatory siestas nationwide everyday from 2 to 4 pm

no candidate has stepped forward with this, and i wont vote until they do

even bernie sanders :colbert:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

bernie is the kompromat candidate

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

after hillary lost i got to laugh at everone who held their nose to vote for her, just like i'll laugh at anyone who votes for biden or warren

why should i not laugh at someone running the same failed play over and over and expecting a different result?

incumbent presidents don't lose elections in these united states. why the gently caress would you think granpa joe or professor plans are gonna beat him?
bernie at least has a theory as to why he's gonna win. he's gonna activate a giant section of people who don't normally vote. all the other candidate's have the same idiot plan that failed in every incumbent election for decades

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Majorian posted:

Someone asked why we refer to Bernie as a compromise candidate, and I explained why. Why is that difficult for you to understand?

Don't vote for someone based on their race, sex, sexual orientation and gender identity, income bracket, political affiliation etc., vote for them based on their ideas. You'd think that after how famous Milo Yiannopoulos and Candace Owens got people would realize that just because someone is in a minority doesn't mean they're automatically going to have great politics. All those things you listed are irrelevant.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SorePotato posted:

im starting a fund to move all cspam posters into one key county so our votes can finally matter

let's all move to wyoming

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Don't vote for someone based on their race, sex, sexual orientation and gender identity, income bracket, political affiliation etc., vote for them based on their ideas.

If someone had Bernie's ideas or better, and was not an old cis-het white dude, it would be better to vote for them. Be less annoyingly dumb, you annoyingly dumb person.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Peanut President posted:

let's all move to wyoming

no, look at what that did to kanye

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

what has electorialism gained other than grant indulgences for people to believe that they are doing their part?

if you haven't noticed, republicans control most of the governorships, the presidency, the supreme court, the lower federal courts, the senate. it has failed and will continue to fail

electorialism is the special cup you buy at starbucks to convince yourself are a good person who cares about saving the amazon. meanwhile, a literal facist is burning it down. it exists to make you feel like you made a difference while you continue to do nothing that matters

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Ytlaya posted:

It is not very common that people get angry at others for voting for the lesser evil Democrat, but it is extremely common for people to demand others "vote blue no matter who" and condemn them for not doing so (or even expressing hesitation to do so). I'd probably agree with you that it's dumb for someone to get really mad at someone else who says they'll vote "blue no matter who," but that doesn't happen nearly as often as the opposite.

Vote blue no matter who is the pascals wager of american politics. Its used as a way to try to bully and intimidate people into backing blood-drenched neo-liberal centrism by playing off their fears of uncertainty.

Trump would likely be less bad than Biden for the simple fact that, if Biden somehow wins, all the mush brain libs will go back to sleep or, worse, start smugly lecturing everyone about how its good actually to install murderous right wing dictators in central america and how we all have some growing up to do if we think thats, like, super evil. At least with someone like Trump people will be paying attention and yelling about all the horrible poo poo he's doing. Obama deported more people than any other president and created billions of dollars in infrastructure to facilitate further brutal, sickening oppression of the refugees his administration created and libs ignored it or tried to justify it, which they absolutely would continue to do if Biden (or Harris or Buttigieg) won the nomination/GE.

Dont get me wrong - Trump is just as, if not more, evil than Biden et al but if there's no R next to the name then nobody seems to give a poo poo about the despicable actions of our government. Lesser of two evils "vote blue no matter who" has lead to a relentless rightward shift over the last several decades and it is an actively toxic mentality.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

bernie is the kompromat candidate

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Zvahl posted:

they stopped caring about my state the second claire mccaskill won her election against the legitimate rape guy but didn't vote for obama and started treating it as though it wasn't called the bellweather state for however loving long because democrats are useless assholes willing to burn down everything poor as soon as they don't like the smell of somewhere~

hello fellow missouri goon. same. i feel bad for the stalwart blue areas in weird places like ste. genevieve that have been completely thrown to the wolves by the crooked dem party. it really sucks trying to defend these places when literally no one aside from bernie on a national scale gives a poo poo about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy