Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what can unix file systems do that ntfs can’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

wife murder

everyone knows that ZFS is superior

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the portability of windows nt is great, can't wait to get a MIPS based PC in a couple years and leave intel's crufty chips in the dust!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in the same way we don’t listen to michael jackson, should we earnestly attempt to keep our pcs free of running code written by creeps

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SRQ posted:

NTFS is a lovely half-assed attempt to match what Unix file systems can do. Windows NT 5 is totally going to have support for ext just like Mac OS 10 is getting it.

mac os 10 already had ufs tho

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just wait till Windows Longhorn comes out with WinFS, it will fix all the issues NTFS has

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Mac OS X 10.5 is going to have ZFS out of the box, it will kill HFS (and Linux.)

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Windows XP looks like a child’s toy. I’ll just stick with Windows 98 until the version after XP.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

at least upgrade to 2k, 98 is still based on dos and sucks rear end

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I don’t understand why compuserve and aol are rushing to add access to this world wide web thing. it doesn’t seem to add much value over their existing services.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Soricidus posted:

I don’t understand why compuserve and aol are rushing to add access to this world wide web thing. it doesn’t seem to add much value over their existing services.

*Fast forward 5 years*
Time Warner is getting a great deal on AOL right now, the future is in paid content on the Internet!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ewiley posted:

*Fast forward 5 years*
Time Warner is getting a great deal on AOL right now, the future is in paid content on the Internet!

uhh aol bought time warner. noob

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

no way noob saibot is real

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

uhh aol bought time warner. noob

this is as lame as the time pepsi brought coke but no one could believe it so the rumour spread that coke brough pepsi instead

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes but unlike aol buying time warner what you just described literally never happened and is probably just some drug hallucination

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

love some lunchtime echi wisdom

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

echinopsis posted:

this is as lame as the time pepsi brought coke but no one could believe it so the rumour spread that coke brough pepsi instead

Crystal Pepsi is awesome and I predict it will revive the brand and finally eclipse Coke

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's pronounced pseudo!
no it's pronounced soodoo!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

it's pronounced pseudo!
no it's pronounced soodoo!

both these are wrong hth

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Soricidus posted:

both these are wrong hth

:whitewater:

suhdoh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
loadable kernel modules are a waste of time and resources, it’s not a big deal to regenerate a kernel when installing a new device and it means less attack surface too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

s'doe *tips hat*

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
just watched dfretro's video on shadows of the empire and it makes me wonder how wild the flame wars about early 3d video cards were

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Silver Alicorn posted:

just watched dfretro's video on shadows of the empire and it makes me wonder how wild the flame wars about early 3d video cards were

hoo boy. imagine instead of two mostly competent vendors selling mostly similar architectures you had a dozen, and all but one and a half were poo poo

s3 virge stans lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
lol 3dfx. it’s nearly the new millennium and they’re still only doing 16 bit color lmao. and that dumb passthrough thing. riva tnt or go home

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Soricidus posted:

lol 3dfx. it’s nearly the new millennium and they’re still only doing 16 bit color lmao. and that dumb passthrough thing. riva tnt or go home

nvidia? i like to play games, not slideshows

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries was released for DirectX, ATI Rendition, Matrox Mystique, S3 Virge, PowerVR, and QuickDraw 3D RAVE in separate SKUs

Only the general DirectX version ever got patched lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

graphics decelerator lol

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

PCjr sidecar posted:

nvidia? i like to play games, not slideshows

hey buddy, there's a glide wrapper for those dumb games that don't support opengl! finally, quake on my diamond viper v330

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Didn't glquake use opengl, not glide?

Didn't think that one was vendor-specific

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
there was a verite version of quake...

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

WilWheaton posted:

yeah, glquake was opengl-only (with all the sgi heritage), but 3dfx threw together a 'minigl', which provided the minimum required functionality on top of glide.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

don't forget watervis for transparent water

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
my memory may be inaccurate, but i'd thought that there wasn't a glquake until way after the glide version

but i may be confusing that with other stuff from the time. i for sure had to use a glide wrapper to use some nintendo 64 emulator

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

you're all wrong.

S3TC is the future

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

psiox posted:

my memory may be inaccurate, but i'd thought that there wasn't a glquake until way after the glide version

but i may be confusing that with other stuff from the time. i for sure had to use a glide wrapper to use some nintendo 64 emulator

also no afaik GLquake is before the Glide version, since Glide is effectively based on OpenGL.
The readme for GLquake notes that it's probably useless as of release because of how rare cards that can run it were lol

In fact I think GLquake ran on voodoo but was OpenGL, and not Glide? And that Quake 2 was the first with actual Glide support?
This is hard to research.

The best I could find while wasting time in a seminar looking this up is that Glquake = Nov. 1997 and the 3DFX specific version also 1997.

also lol quake 2 launched that December.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 12, 2020

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WilWheaton posted:

quack3.exe

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Franz posted:

don't forget watervis for transparent water

wateremacss 4 lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

WilWheaton posted:

it was a workaround for legal troubles

id software had signed agreements about supporting vendor-specific apis, but they really wanted to support 3dfx cards, since that was the new hotness at the time, and regretted prior agreements

as a workaround they made glquake, which was ostensibly a universal opengl application, but in reality was (initially) only tested on a miniature subset of opengl implemented specifically for quake by 3dfx

(obviously later glquake ran on other opengl hardware)