Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rokudou's Bad Girls is about Rokudou Tousuke, a kinda snively little wimp in Amori High, a school packed to the gills with delinquints, punks, and gangs. He along with his two best friends can only impotently scream their futile anger at their constantly-bullied situation when alone, when one day he receives a package from his grandfather. A scroll, with an enchantment that has the power to pacify demons. Rokudou is immediately afflicted by this enchantment, and suddenly, every "bad girl" in town falls in love at first sight with him! It's a dream come true, right?

nah

It's a shonen delinquint fighting romcom where Rokudou tends to help the heroines with whatever problems may be troubling them, figure out why they necessarily qualify as a "bad girl" even if they're pretty normal people, and work to help them work through it. I had initially written it off after only 3 chapters when I first checked it out years ago, but recently was recommended it again and binged through to the current chapters as of this post(150-160ish). The amount of heart and just wonderful and fun character writing/artwork, silly comedic shenanigans, and gradual maturing of characters and just overall charm really reminds me of things like My Monster Secret. Least, outside of the serious fighting parts, though even those can have some amaaaaaazing goofy bullshit.

The way this silly dipshit Rokudou works his way up the delinquint hierarchy whether through his own work or pratfalling straight into a position of power completely by accident has been pretty consistently entertaining. The great friendship he and his ever-growing crew has is really heartfelt, especially with characters like Iinuma and Osanada, the latter probably being my favorite character in the series. There's a harem, of course, especially due to the premise, but Rokudou never abuses his curse with any of the girls, which would've put me off of the series I think. New chapters have been coming out pretty steadily lately, I think it had gotten dropped for a while but seems like they're caught up again, and it's still great.

(thread title reference)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWueF1R84I4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Now that Captain Invictus has recommended it I'm afraid I'll never be able to read this manga. Sorry everyone. 😔

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really want an anime adaptation already. Rokudou is like one of 3 series I follow regularly anymore and it's ftw.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

So does the main character stop going "I AM A MAN and I HAD TO BE PROTECTED BY A GIRRRRRL" or should I just drop the series now if it bugs me? :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GorfZaplen posted:

Now that Captain Invictus has recommended it I'm afraid I'll never be able to read this manga. Sorry everyone. 😔
It's pretty ftmfw, your loss Gorfster!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really want an anime adaptation already. Rokudou is like one of 3 series I follow regularly anymore and it's ftw.
I really, really hope it gets one, too! After KnY got one, I'm primed for more shounenicity!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gloomy Rube posted:

So does the main character stop going "I AM A MAN and I HAD TO BE PROTECTED BY A GIRRRRRL" or should I just drop the series now if it bugs me? :v:

He drops basically all the weird incel-adjacent traits by 10 chapters I found.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GorfZaplen posted:

What else do you like that I can ruin for you by adjacently enjoying it? :haw:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I feel like it'll probably come along pretty soon now, Here Comes The Demon, Iruma-kun just got an anime and that's on like 16 volumes or something. I would just hope they would adapt the style accurately and not change it too much, there's something about the kinda weird styling to the characters in rokudou that I like.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He's the guy all the bad girls want.

Ranna is the best worst girl, even if she might be an actual demon of some variety. But Gyaru Graffiti Maniac might steal the title if she comes back.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter

A: cliffhangers like these are bad and B: I have a feeling we are going to have another secondary best girl in a long-running series fall soon :smith:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I hate a cliffhanger where theres no freaking question as to what the resolution will be

Gloomy Rube posted:

Yea, Rokudous motivation eventually turns into a desire for self-respect. Only by being able to settle his own affairs does he deserve to be protected and loved by Ranna and although theres a huge gulf he wants to be able to reciprocate and protect her in turn. Shame from his girlfriend beating his bullies up for him is where he starts but he grows pretty quick.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 1, 2019

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Meme Emulator posted:

I hate a cliffhanger where theres no freaking question as to what the resolution will be

Actually, considering the current rift between Rokudou and Ranna, is this so clear cut? There's zero reason to stretch this out if he just says "No," so maybe the answer is something else. Even if it's not "yes."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've got a bad feeling it'll be like "Ranna needs me right now" or something equally bad, but I'm hoping it'll prove me wrong, since it's done some decent avoidance of really bad cliches before and rokudou has done some good growing up lately. Regardless, it's a shame another Best Girl is about to be cut down, so soon after the last Best Girl was.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Unless he tells her about his weird curse, it has to be a no, because dating anyone affected by it would be immoral.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

RareAcumen posted:

Unless he tells her about his weird curse, it has to be a no, because dating anyone affected by it would be immoral.

Is Raino still a bad girl, though?

In any case, him coming clean about the curse to one of the girls would be an interesting direction to take this. "Look, uh, I appreciate how you feel about me right now, but let me tell you how we got to this point and then we can talk."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, Raino wore one of the gremlins earlier and was unaffected so the understanding is she's also unaffected by the demon-seal. Probably.

I'm hoping he tells her about it too. Get some honesty between them.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

https://mangadex.org/chapter/741498/1

There it is. Now lets wrap this arc up and have the 2 or 3 funny slice of life chapters before the next one starts please

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Awww poop. Oh well. Maybe Manager or the Colonel will swoop in and pick Raino up. (probably not)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"Swoop in"

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 5, 2019

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Move in
After
Negotiate deals
Arrange meeting
Get some?
Eww no
Rejected

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

https://mangadex.org/chapter/746037/1

New Rokudou, starring the chars from probably my least favorite arc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah but it's a good chapter so I'll accept it

Also nice how some of the girls are doing their own thing instead of pining for rokudou forever after they're "saved"

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

This goes even further, by showing how a reformed bad girl can start pulling other bad people into the light. The mark on Rokudou's forehead is having unexpected positive effects.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Rokudou rules but I fell off I believe shortly after the Onishima arc wrapped. Need to catch back up sometime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TriffTshngo posted:

Rokudou rules but I fell off I believe shortly after the Onishima arc wrapped. Need to catch back up sometime.
yeah it's only gotten better since then, plus the artwork has improved a lot overall too.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
New chapter, and it’s very good

https://mangadex.org/chapter/747760

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the "oh no what will I do, I have nobody to help me" *glances silently over at the last possible person they would want to help them* is one of my favorite types of gags

edit: holy poo poo the page immediately following that lmao

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I just sat and read this entire thing in one sitting.

Jesus this did not have any right to be as good as it is.

I like basically all the characters. I like how Iinuma turned around and became a bro, and how even with the premise of "bad girls are attracted to the main character" at least two of them have gotten romantic resolutions involving other people.

That said: Raino was the best, stupid first girl wins rule. :(

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 15, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Every time Minami shows up now, I'm just sad that she doesn't have a better living situation.

I'm glad her and Ling Land are kinda sorta starting to become friends though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Actually the more that I think about it, the more it annoys me because Ranna is really actually pretty boring. I'm guessing there'll be a reveal where she's literally a demon in human guise, but she's...

...She's just kinda nothing. That's her entire character, that she's a single minded emotionless monster. The story even brings up repeatedly that she'd never pay him any mind if it weren't for the spell.

Raino is just too sweet. :(

I hope she's at least still a character and not just unceremoniously shown the door.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 15, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's just their assumption, though, that she'd ignore him or kill him if the curse didn't ensnare her. we don't actually know what she'd do, yet.

and she's plenty entertaining on her own, but in fits and starts and not all the time, which makes her kind of an awkward character all around. she's great, scenes like when she dressed up like a male banchou stereotype and then just exploded out of it when she didn't need it was great, or basically the entire home visit part.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

that's just their assumption, though, that she'd ignore him or kill him if the curse didn't ensnare her. we don't actually know what she'd do, yet.

and she's plenty entertaining on her own, but in fits and starts and not all the time, which makes her kind of an awkward character all around. she's great, scenes like when she dressed up like a male banchou stereotype and then just exploded out of it when she didn't need it was great, or basically the entire home visit part.

I mean, yeah, the story is undoubtedly going to come to that conclusion where the curse ends and she still likes him, happily ever after. That's pretty much been locked in.

I liked Raino because she had a really believeable and sweet reason for falling for Rokudou and she was just really pleasent to have around.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I really like raino too and I hope she continues to show up, but there were so many reasons she wouldn't make it, most notably ranna's unfinished character development.

though it sure would've been interesting to see ranna's reaction to rokudou actually going out with someone. hell, it'd be interesting to see if properly having a relationship with someone would break the curse, or warp it and do hosed up things, or make raino the target of every bad girl, etc

but alas

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

goddammit raino lost??? :negative: she’s my favorite

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Ranna is bad when they draw her as a big sexy blonde and good when they draw her as a weird rectangular gremlin.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Minami deserves better, and Ling Lan should smash faces so they can have better.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Is Minami even still a bad girl?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Most of the girls who have been identified as "heroines" are no longer bad girls.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I'm really glad that being reformed doesn't actually change who the girls are, it just makes them less actively homicidal.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ThingOne posted:

I'm really glad that being reformed doesn't actually change who the girls are, it just makes them less actively homicidal.

I mean, I'd say Minami changed pretty dramatically. Just in a generally positive way and not via mind control or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just dropping in to say Ling Lan is the best character and I'm glad she's rooming with the second best character Minami.