Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This movie was like a Malcolm in the Middle plot gone horribly awry.

I definitely understand comparing and contrasting with Us, but my brain went to another recent class-focused comedy with a twist: Sorry to Bother You, which is about as subtle as a rock to the head. I liked that movie more in the moment, probably because its twist felt truly out-of-nowhere (and all the Parasite reviews made it very clear that this movie would have a major tone switch halfway through). But I'll probably be thinking about this one for longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

The shot of the basement guy peaking out and looking at the child has to be one of the most unsettling frames Ive ever seen in a movie.
Absolutely. Really played on my own childhood fears—the kind that make you run up the stairs after turning the basement lights off.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I definitely would not have let that lady into the house in the situation, she looked loving gone over the video feed. "Come back tomorrow, please".

My immediate assumption (which I assume Bong was going for) was that it was about to become a home invasion horror film. Doubly so when she casually mentions cutting the CCTV

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

I have a friend who refuses to watch it because she doesn't "like horror movies." :shrug:

Have you explained that it's not one?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You guys know people can enjoy a movie and not fully grasp its themes right? It’s kind of an extremely common thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

coronavirus posted:

Wait, whats wrong with Gervais now? He made some of the best TV series ever.

Also him calling out the sex pests in hollywood at the golden globes seems like a good thing

His constant transphobia and “sorry you were offended” shtick is incredibly tiresome.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RichterIX posted:

All their hot daughters were throwing themselves at me left and right but I was all like, no

Also it's important to note that I was a virgin and yet even I held off on their advances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

coronavirus posted:

Ah. I've never heard anything transphobic from him, but I am not really on twitter or anything like that so I guess I've missed it.

To be fair he is British and as far as I can tell it’s illegal not to be transphobic there.