Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Good afternoon Haus, I have a busted laptop that is out of warranty for repair. I was curious whether it was worth it to send it back for Lenovo to diagnose / repair through their billable repair department, whether I should look for partrd oparty repair service. Or whether simply buying a new laptop is my best bet?

It's a T470s I bought about 2 years ago. Its worked great but recently the charging ports (both standard power supply and USB-C) have stopped working or only work intermittently. I recently had a charging problem where the computer turned off at ~20 battery life and will no longer boot up.

From what I've read, out of warranty repairs can be pretty pricey, and unfortunately it seems like this laptop is largely only serviced by Lenovo itself. When I've previously brought it in to third party servicers I've been told they don't have most of the parts it uses.

Any help or advice would be very welcome

I'm in the USA, the computer runs windows 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TigCobra
Oct 29, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lenovo will call you and tell you how much the repair will cost prior to the work, so you can make a decision if it is worth it at that moment.