Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
Problem description:

My computer will randomly lock up or behave very sluggishly which should not be the case since i have an i7 7700 and a SSD that is not even a year old.

Some examples of the strange behaviour:

While i download game updates on Steam, Chrome will be unresponsive. If i am typing into a text box, it takes several seconds for the text input to show up there.

This morning, simple things like opening the start menu were unresponsive. I clicked the windows button and it took several seconds for the start menu to appear.

Some games will have massive frame drops at random when i play them. The screen will freeze for anywhere from 0-3 seconds when it happens, then continue normally as if nothing happened. I've had stalls that lasted 5+ seconds but they are more rare.

Photoshop used to load very quickly for me, now sometimes it takes 3x longer to open. Sometimes it will be very unresponsive too, similar to how Chrome takes a while to read inputs.

At first i believed my GPU was at fault as the bad behaviour was mostly noticed while gaming. But given that other apps and even simple things like opening the start menu are suffering, i feel like something else is off. I've been checking task manager when the strange behaviour starts and it looks like the SSD is working at 100% despite it having very little activity: https://i.imgur.com/6i04zFK.png

Attempted fixes: Downloaded latest drivers, attempted a windows repair but nothing was fixed

I have a spare SSD so i might try cloning my current SSD onto it and see if that solves the issue. I suspected this maybe has something to do with the recent windows update so i also tried updating my chipset and sata drivers for my mobo (h270f strix) but that did not do anything.

Recent changes: Nothing really, aside from getting the latest win 10 update

Operating system: Win 10 64bit

System specs: i7 7700, gtx 1080, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

twoski fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
I ran a benchmark on the SSD: https://imgur.com/6Wfhc3X

This is the make/model of my SSD, if that helps: https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/a400-solid-state-drive?partnum=SA400S37/960G

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
What antivirus are you running?

I would say disable any real-time scanning "protection" that is enabled and retest to see if the issue persists and re-test to see if keeps happening. The issues you are describing sound to me like its running a scheduled scan in the background and bogging down your CPU while using a lot of your SSD's read/write speed. Causing your apps and such to have to wait their turn in the queue for when they can initialize.

This is typical behavior you'd see on some junk 5400RPM drive, not usually an SSD unless some AV scan is thrashing the drive.

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
I only use malwarebytes and typically i just do a scan with it now and then, never leave it running.

I had a spare SSD so i did a fresh install and just migrated my files over and the problem is gone. Either the other SSD was bottlenecking somewhere (either due to meh specs, or hardware failure, or windows update loving my drivers up) or there was some other issue i wasn't able to see.

The specs for that problematic SSD weren't much worse than the specs on my new SSD so i don't think subpar specs was the issue, or at least i can't see it being bad enough to the point where it's causing games to have 5 second freezes.

twoski fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 30, 2019