Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Part of me wonders if Apocalypse's revived interest in sorcery is born from the knowledge that eventually mutantkind's ultimate enemy is mankind's ability to render them irrelevant via technology, but I think only Moira, Xavier, and Magneto know about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This probably isn't the right place to ask, but something has been bothering me ever since I hit a certain checkpoint in my grasp of the Japanese language and have revisited the character formerly known as Revanche...

Kwannon is supposed to be 観音, right? An old fashioned romanization of Kannon? Japanese equivalent of the bodhisattva Guanyin, a.k.a. Kanzeon? It trips me up every time I read it, like if be like if Gambit's last name was spelled "LaBow"

X-Men 2 was cute but I think maybe Yu was a bad choice of artist. Someone who does good comedic reaction faces would've made the material present absolutely sinnggggg

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Wait, wasn't Nanny the robot that looked after de-aged Magneto?

...are there two X-Men characters named Nanny?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/annalisebissa/status/1207015948106059779

So Young Cable, Armor and Pixie plus some other guy I guess. Duggan and Noto. I'll definitely give it a shot.

Is that... an original recipe Cylon in the background?

Beerdeer posted:

When I hit 34 and was therefore older than Bruce Wayne.... well that was a hard day

Look at it this way, at least you didn't send the character down into a grim and gritty muck from which he would never escape unlike some people who have had that realization

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's cool to see Laura but where's Scout?

Hopefully on Karkoa enjoying not being part of a paramilitary strike force for a little while until Newer Mutants or Newest X-Men or Generation K launches or something

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

BrianWilly posted:

The starkest moment of the last issue was probably Xavier's "one month" remark. It took a single month for the humans to be back on their death squad bullshit.

When you put it this way, the use of one month as a time frame strikes me as commentary on the sort of stuck-in-the-status quo nature of big two superhero comics, now that I think about it

although it's less immediately poignant because the books double shipped a lot after dawn of x (which resulted in no new x books this week, which i personally found very annoying)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the only question at this point is exactly how prepared Chuck and the gang are to deal with Mystique's inevitable betrayal (even if it is justified, for once)

I kind of wonder if this results the first real political strife on the island. It's not like there's a shortage of beef to take advantage of, considering who's on the council. All it would take is a bit of commiseration between Raven and Apocalypse, who probably wants more power than he already has, maybe rope Sinister into it, and there you go. Hell, it could even be a ploy on Xavier's behalf to use Mystique as magnet to attract the island's dissident forces together under one banner before chucking them all in the Sabertooth hole.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Blockhouse posted:

I'm biased against it because I want an actual book about the non-New Mutants young mutants, not just Ed Brisson's b-plot starring the five characters he's decided he wants to be in everything

do you mean brand new new mutants or just newer new mutants, like the new x-men?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but there's literally dozens (possibly hundreds) of mutants that were at one point on one of the teams that spent a lot of time dealing with people trying to kill them. Or, especially since they have all the villains there, people who were on a team trying to kill X-Men.

There's a lot of administrative decisions on Krakoa that I question, but not sending any more self-described evil mutants out on paramilitary missions is not one of them

(Of course, this is AFTER Sabertooth was sent to do just that, and after killing someone he got thrown in a big big hole, so even then, they somehow either didn't see that coming or wanted to make an example of him)

Speaking of they-might-be-mutants: How long until Pietro and Wanda are Magneto's kids again? With the Fox deal long done at this point, and their backstory being frankly a little threadbare without his presence in it, it's just a matter of time, right? Because amnesty for Wanda would be another hot political iron for President Xavier to juggle

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like how this week's X-Men is very clear about addressing the question of how the X-Men (the good ones) feel about their current status quo: Yeah, a lot of this stuff is really weird and hosed up, but we live here now so we've gotta figure a way to make it work.

It's a new type of "Here are your superheroes dealing with morally ponderous circumstances" that's a bit more interesting than the typical "The status quo sucks, but that doesn't mean we can let Mad Stan blow up the Gotham City Courthouse/Superman can't just terraform the moon" like you see in 99% of these books. It kinda puts me in the mindset of stuff like Kingdom Come and Moore's proposed Twilight of the Superheroes, except it works in the regular old context because it's the mutants, a sub-brand of characters whose have been living in one big rolling ongoing existential crisis (even more than all the other superheroes) basically ever since Legion accidentally time-travel killed his daddy

Krakoan culture does strike me as being set up to be deeply hosed up, from the fact that everyone blames Wanda for the Decimation when a not-small part of her issues are Magneto's fault, and now this Crucible stuff, and the fact that they've got freaking Exodus being responsible for teaching kids literally anything, but... the kinda poo poo that society at large believes in the homo sapiens world is pretty hosed up too, so you can't just roll your eyes and go "That would never happen!"

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 26, 2020

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Civil War is one of those situations where the argument at the core of the story had to be escalated to a ridiculous degree in order for it to be exciting, and long-term forgiveness for characters like Reed and Tony is more feasible (if only because they'd be more likely to ask for a mea culpa) than someone like Cap, who'd be more likely to let himself get arrested and rot in jail, which is what he was going to do until he got shot.

Marvel characters are kind of defined by the types of mistakes they're allowed to make. Reed is allowed to freak out and be overprotective for his family. Peter is allowed to gently caress up his personal life. Professor X is allowed to be a huge, often catastrophic gently caress up as long as it comes from a place of intensely patronizing paternalism.

and then Tony is allowed to just generally be kind of a gently caress up, as long as he build robot suit real good

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Rand Brittain posted:

Krakoa would probably be a lot more popular if their manager would just keep his drat mouth shut.

Now I can't help but imagine Magneto floating over to the cash register of a fast food place going "Perhaps if you had the wisdom that you so casually presume you are entitled to, instead of the gall to shout demands at your betters, you would not be eating in an establishment like this in the first place"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

galagazombie posted:

I never liked the whole "Superheroes don't care about mutants" thing because it's just way to meta. Like of course characters don't show up in other peoples books outside the occasional crossover. You never say Spider-Man doesn't care about Californians because he never shows up to help in West Coast Avengers. And in fact their are tons of crossovers where non-mutant heroes help out the X-Men and vice-versa. Or stories where Captain America or whoever defends a mutant and punches a Sentinel or something. It seems a wholly invented animus.

It's one of those structural storytelling things that only damages the integrity of stories where it gets pointed out like "Why doesn't someone just loving shoot the Joker already?" Character X isn't always showing up to help character Y in their book because that's not how a shared universe with two character with their own individual stories to tell works, and the Joker gets to live because he's too popular to die

That being said, you can use it as a talking point to illustrate the mentality of a character in a moment. I totally buy Cyclops saying that kind of thing when he's basically mutant Moses, trying desperately to keep his people alive, but now that he's just Mutant George Washington he's a bit more rational about things. I absolutely buy that kind of statement from Magneto's, because he 110% does not give a poo poo about anything except mutant prosperity and his own position of authority within said prosperity

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This is part of where the mutant metaphor has historically broken down. Real life bigotry can be terrifying, but it's usually not quite been on the level of "Oh god, we're always almost on the verge of being wiped out, usually at least once every six months."

The non-mutant superheroes seem to treat things that go on in the mutiesphere the way they would issues for real life oppressed groups, helping out here and there and trying to be models of acceptance and friendship...

but the reality for the X-Men is a hosed up superhero melodrama where almost everyone is always dying, so there's a real dissonance as a result. Basically when the Avengers go "We were saving the world" the X-Men go "So were we, but also, we were almost ethnically cleansed"

If anything this might be less of a factor because of Krakoa, since now all of mutantkind basically has citizenship in a nation that is administered by the X-Men, so when/if the X-Men are in trouble now it's less a question of random anti-mutant violence in who-knows-where, but an attack on a sovereign state. The Avengers in the F4 intervene in that kind of stuff all the time!

(But also, Krakoa has a literal super powered army and police force, so mutants who live there probably need less outside protection than they ever have, ironically)

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 29, 2020

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So is the most recent issue of X-Men an unsolicited tie-in for that Empyre crossover or did it just coincidentally show up in the lead up to it?

also Broo and Oya rule and it's good to see them again

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
has there been any explanation for why Jean is back in the Marvel Girl outfit other than Krakoa is one giant party, so dressing like she's going to a club in the 60s makes sense?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Edge & Christian posted:

And then by the end of 1992, all of those artists quit and went to form Image, so Marvel had neither Claremont etc. nor the artists they alienated all of the writers to please.

Has anyone written a book about the arc of the Image guys from their rise as superstar artists to present day? I find it fascinating how they had this big rockstar creators rights break with the big two, and then 90% of them ultimately ended up going back to doing the work for hire stuff with a fair bit of regularity, Jim Lee going as far as to sell all his creator-owned stuff and become one of the bosses they positioned themselves opposite of

Granted, a lot of it was probably just publicity blather, and there might've been labor and royalty changes in the time since that ameliorated the issues they liked to talk up, but I still find it funny how basically everyone except Todd McFarlane ended up reconciling with corporate-owned superhero comics in some form or another (and that guy has kinda stepped out of comics altogether)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Skwirl posted:

There's an alternate universe where Jean Grey stayed dead and Scott Summers retired to Alaska with Madelyn Pryor and their kid Nathan and I often wonder what the gently caress X-Men comics would actually look like for the 30 years after that.

Storm would probably be even more important than she is for the book.

How much was X-Men's continued popularity throughout the late 80s tied to the expansion into stuff like X-Force and X-Factor? Because without Scott and Cable you don't really have either of those.

People would probably like Wolverine even more, without him being able to act like that guy about Jean

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I definitely thought the hijinks this week were a nice change of pace from the EPIC FANTASY LEGEND OF THE FIRST MUTANT NATION'S ISOLATION IN A DARK DEMONIC DIMENSION BY AN ANCIENT yadda yadda yadda, but I'm still not sold on the appeal of this weird tangent, especially when I'm still keen on exploring any of the various Damocleses that float over the Krakoan experiment as a whole

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I want to second the notion of wishing there was more of an epilogue. Cyclops was never a member of the council anyway, so are Jean and Apocalypse the only ones who actually left? I guess BritBrad and Rockslide are staying dead? The document stuff seems to indicate that that the formation of an X-Men team is a no-no, so are the Summerses and whoever end up on their team going to be non-state-sanctioned actors again? Will they move out of Krakoa and and onto the SWORD station?

and seriously why does anyone expect us to give a poo poo about Saturnyne

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
"If clones aren't banned from resurrection, why haven't any clones been ressurected?"
"Good question! Next question, please."

Aren't Laura, Darwin, and whoever went with them supposed to be getting out of that weird time compressed robot hellscape soon?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
At what point did Beast become such a total dickhead? I used to like him a lot, albeit mostly because of the animated series, but looking holistically at the character in the comics it feels kinda like from the legacy virus on, he begins this long, increasingly demented progression from being a jovial scienceman to the increasingly sullen tony stark of genetics. It's kind of hard to imagine that the same character who is running the mutant CIA in X-Force is the guy who was the Avenger's resident comedian.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This is a pretty surface level read, but it's easy to read Arakoan mutants as some kind of reserve fighting force for when the X-Men get around to dealing with the existential threat posed by machine intelligence, since that is the ultimate endgame for Moira and the most looming of all threats to mutantkind's continued long-term existence. Not that I don't feel X of Swords was a whole lot of faffing around for not a lot of gain

The X-Men as an elected body sounds like fun though

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gaz-L posted:

I appreciated the little detail in SWORD of Ewing calling out that Alpha Flight is now under Henry Gyrich... because that happened in Hulk. (And if you're not reading Hulk, a- What the gently caress is wrong with you and b- Gyrich has already royally screwed the pooch over there)

Henry Peter Gyrich's continued employment by the US government is the single most salient sociopolitical criticism in superhero comics

Even Lex Luthor eventually got removed from office after being elected president.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Every mutant with a significantly enough sized chip on their shoulder about humans is now in a position where they can exercise their beefs as long as it doesn't escalate beyond petty aggressions. I'll be curious what happens if we get to the point where there is a mutant who is actively maiming humans but not killing them, because as it stands, I think that might be legal in Krakoa?

Also, can you imagine going back and telling someone reading X-books in 2012 that Cyclops would one day be the most diplomatic mutant?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The events in Hellions made me wonder if maybe the ultimate message of Hickman's run is going to be that the Moira gang are wrong, because they're just as afraid of the future (re; post-human/mutant cybernetic life) as baseline humans are afraid of mutants.

And if that's the direction it goes, I bet a major turning point is going to involve Cable, the most prominent mutant cyborg, as well as frequent this-guy-represents-the-future-guy. That might even be why they kept baby Cable around, so that it'll be more poignant if he gets made into a cyber-martyr

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So how does this Knull guy work exactly? Are all the "individual" symbiotes loyal to him, is he projecting his will through them all, is he the specific symbiote that Cable is wearing right now...?

Also if Sword keeps this up it might be my favorite X-book after a while. Marauders is good, but I like outer space more than I like Kitty Pryde.

BrianWilly posted:

The Krakoan rhetoric right now is little less that mutants are going to replace humans -- they really haven't touched on that concept too much since Morrison -- and more that mutants are just, uh, somehow better than humans and so humans can either fall in line and let mutants do whatever mutants want or...well, there's no "or" here. Humans have had a hundred chances already and blew them all, so this is just how things are now.

Whether or not that comes across better or worse is...debatable, but there's no question that the X-Men characters have been crossing all kinds of big and small lines that they never used to cross -- not always without reason, to be fair -- and that this is somehow "the point" of Hickman's run.

Something I like about Krakoa conceptually is that it is doing the sensible thing for codifying mutants as a culture. " I don't want to tick any Morrison fans off, but the HOXPOX is basically delivering on all the interesting ideas that he brought up, but was less interested in exploring than "Is it still cheating if it's telepathic?" And if they do a good enough job, the mutants have the potential to definitively create the kind of society where they can go "See? Better than humans"....

but they are faiiiiling soooo bad so far. I was really hoping there'd be a scene with someone like Black Panther of Captain America encouraging Cyclops or Xavier with a sentiment along the lines of "You're creating something brand new that can change the world for the better--please, please don't gently caress it up" and then the immediate next panel is Beast comitting a war crime or Sinister inviting Sugar Man to join the Quiet Council or something.

In a way it's the logical next step of the classic Marvel "superheroes are fallible" paradigm that was never taken in favor of maintaining the "relateable" status quo; here we have a group of superheroes (and... "friends") who are trying to change the world for the better in a systemic fashion; treating clones as second-class citizens and pogroms against inorganic lifeforms are the proportional equivalent of getting drunk and raising hell in an Iron Man suit or accidentally getting Gwen Stacy killed.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
After reading Cable this week, I'm curious, is Baby Nate's relationship with Hope something that has been touched on before? I would think she'd hate him for y'know, murdering her adopted father, but this is X-Men and there's pretty much no crime that can't be forgiven except being Sabertooth, and everyone seems to be fine with Baby Nate's treatment of Classic Nate except Deadpool

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm not sure if the Chainsaw Hands/Five Dicks paradigm has been addressed more recently in X-Line, but it was definitely interesting to see badass space valkyrie Dani Moonstar try and give a pep talk about how there's nothing wrong with the mutant powers of the girl who accidentally killed her family and warped herself into looking like a grade schooler's drawing of a monster

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I voted for Roberto because frankly I can't tell what team or book he's supposed to be on/in anyway, so having him show up in another just means more berto

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I really hope Speed's arrival on the island does in fact cause major waves later, because the framing of Wanda as the (not) mutant antichrist is probably a top 5 "Hey, what's up with THAT?" big questions about Krakoa, along with the precog, clone, and AI stuff

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Most of the mutants opposed to Krakoa seem to think it's not going to work in it's current form and can't be chuffed to try and help foster a more promising looking version.

Then there's that one lady in Mojoworld who seems to be the only mutant who holds a grudge, that dislikes the idea of hanging out on an island with such a high population of ex-evil mutants

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Sublime's existence is this looming presence in the background of Morrison's run that makes it less good as a whole to me, like Whedon is with his own run

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There was that period of time where Spider-Man was billed as

Which is kind of weird in hindsight. It's a bit like if DC started billing Superman as "SUPERMAN: NOT A BAT"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gologle posted:

It was literally Magneto's fault. smh im tired of having this conversation

EDIT: Not with any of you guys, mind you, but back in the 2000's I had endless hours of internet arguments with people over House of M.

I am still waiting for that particular reckoning, but with the way Wanda's been treated in the comics makes me think that there's never going to actually be tackled, and there's just going to be a bunch of snarky side barbs

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wonder if Rachel embracing the Hound look is inspired by Pryde using the Marauders name

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

radlum posted:

This is amazing.

I hope we get to see more of the dudes; I want to see Mr Sinister, Magneto, Charles and Gambit's outfits.

do you really think emma would let gambit into a gala attended by a bunch of hoity toity rich types

then again i suppose theft is technically not illegal according to krakoan law

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
can you imagine going back in time and telling someone that hank mccoy would be... well, maybe not more reprehensible, but that his actions would be more disturbing than the poo poo empath up to?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the important thing that we can agree on is that there is way more good X-books and F4 than there is good Avengers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Y'know, I realize that Onslaught (the storyline) is about as bad a big bloated dumbass comic event with inexplicably extensive fallout as there ever has been, but I don't think Onslaught (The concept) is irredeemable

Xavier and Magneto are both shady as gently caress, with alarming frequency (Magneto goes harder, while Xavier is low key shady all the drat time) and the idea of Chuck taking liberties with his powers causing unforeseen consequences isn't that weird, because it happens so often, not the least of which being him acting all time skeevy in the X-Men / Micronauts crossover.

And more than anything , I think he looks cool. It's Magneto's cool looking helmet, with a permanently shaded in face, on a big pointy suit of armor.

If nothing else, he is way cooler than Knull.