Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Synthbuttrange posted:

im really bummed because Krakoa was a really neat sci fi setting.

hopefully not all of it is swept away.

I am not ready to say goodbye to Krakoa. I absolutely loved it, and it got me back into comics. Perfect mix of high concept scifi and light politics.

On the other hand, its also nice to have an ending. Gillens killing it in that regard.

I'll stay optimistic and read the first few issues of the next stuff but so far it looks similar to the boring stuff before Krakoa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Krakoa made us believe Zeb Wells was a great writer.

Then Spider-Man happened.

Leah Williams, both X-Factor and X-Terminators, were a highlight.

I am reading X-Factor right now. Williams managed to shove a ton of story into each issue. Feels like I've read 2-3 issues worth each time, but in a good way.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Sephyr posted:

A creepy egg-woman getting drunk at a gala, then smashing a wine glass to try to shiv a fey victorian english vampire, will not be topped in our lifetime.

'Judgement Day, motherfucker!'

I laughed my rear end off when Sinister was selfconcious without his cape.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Moira's heel turn was something that was decided on after Hoxpox but before Hickman decided to leave wasn't it? I'm not clear on the timing of everything behind the scenes.

Moira turned heel during Inferno. I dont have a source but I believe I read an interview with Duggan stating he wanted to "bring villains back into the story."

I imagine if Hickman remained, she would have stayed as an antagonist but not the mustache twirling psycho she turned into.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Am I going crazy, or are half the Fall of X TPB's not available for preorder yet.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Maduo posted:

I would argue this is exactly how half the X-writers treated Krakoa. Not to say they disengaged with the ethnostate reading entirely but after a certain point lines like X-Factor and New Mutants only engaged with the ruling body of Krakoa with letters on the data pages that summed up to "kindly gently caress off and let me enjoy my queer found family please."

Nothing wrong with that. Not every title has to be foot flat on the ethics/politics accelerator.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Professor X as he appears in House of X and Powers of X is a supervillain. Like, the art is clearly giving him villain coding.

Later on when he's feeling sad he reveals that never actually believed any of that stuff and was just going along to get along with Magneto and Moira, but this feels more like a retcon than a reveal.

Ominous maybe. To give the reader a feeling of unease or "this aint right..". But not a supervillain.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Sesq posted:

So if I'm understanding this right, if Professor X, who does not appear in any of the future lineups, were to say... mysteriously die after taking out Enigma and before telling anyone about "Cypher", then Sinister can make a clean getaway.

Yeah.

However, my prediction for the ending is Xavier replaces Enigma as a Dominion to stop anyone else from becoming one. As part of that, he erases Essex from the timeline.

Wishful thinking maybe, but there's been stupider stuff happen in Krakoa :cheeky:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Rick posted:

I think this would be pretty cool. I don't think they leave either of these dudes off the table for long but it would still feel like a nice end.

Thats what I thought the vault was set up for honestly. Then Stasis did it instead

I think I was overly cautious with the tags then but just incase anyone isnt caught up.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Regarding issue 3 of Rise of the Powers of X:
Xaviers team know Sinister had a failsafe set up to reset the timeline in +10 (when Dr Stasis attempted to ascend).

Kind of risky and impulsive to kill Sinister then, isnt it Rasputin?

Unless I'm misremembering something about the Moira engine?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

I hope the dead X-Men got back before Xavier shot her.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

cia beast is probably supposed to be actually dead, but that obviously won't stop future writers.

They will do a twist where good Beast died i loving know it

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

New X-men Looks like Orchis is finished

The art was really drat good this issue.

Wolverine chopping up the Orchis goons was absolutely brutal.

Marvel are giving the high profile Orchis members absolutely brutal endings. Stasis, Devo etc.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fei Long is the only one left of the Human Orchis leaders and he ditched to fight Tony

Has to be dealt with in Duggans Iron Man right?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Tom taylors superior iron man loving ruled man :colbert:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh so this is the actual X-Men thread, I've ben kinda clogging up the general Marvel thread. My bad.

I'm diving into Krakoa to try and catch up with modern X-Men stuff, although I wanna try and go back and read older things when I can. I'm an abysmally slow reader so I am making priorities. I'm only reading X-Men, Marauders, and Excalibur here at the start of " Dawn of X Wave One Titles" as the guide I'm following lists them.

X-Men is 100% my favorite of these three.

Although Apocalypse makes Excalibur more interesting at least.

Hellions is the best Dawn of X book

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Who is Tank? The official marvel site article on the new X-Force has a link for everyone except him: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/x-force-geoffrey-thorne-marcus-to-from-the-ashes

The cover shows a guy that's all red but I'm only seeing this guy and it said he died in Ironheart in 2019 (not that death has ever stopped anyone):

Edit: link broke because of taxonomy so here's the shortened url: https://shorturl.at/efrM6

Safe to say he was resurrected then?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Why would you think he's not gonna be that? Do you think McKay is gonna ignore this story? Have you read what he's writing? Do you know he's totally ignoring this issue and gonna write Magneto at odds with this?

We got a loose Brevoot in here

Magneto resurrected as a young and fit man but in the released From The Ashes material appears old and more frail. Doesnt fill me with confidence either

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

He looks like he's in a chair. I imagine to make it clear he's going to be the Xavier of the book.

Looking forward to From the Ashes, going to be my first time following a comic era as it starts.

I think the 3 new mainline books look fine, and ill read them as they start. Im pretty bitter about losing the krakoa setting though

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, take when Magneto joined the X-Men for good around Utopia era. Was he too wizened for you there? He seemed as kick rear end to me as ever, I don't get it. You need some babyfaced Magneto? Why is that in the deal here? And they're not aging further, as is the way in Marvel, so there's no reason to de-age anybody.

I can dig that you're making other points there, I'm just pet peeving on this de-aging thing.

I cant answer for other guy but i dont understand why Marvels keen to throw away Magnetos ENTIRE krakoan story

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Ah yes, immediately knowing all about Magneto's characterization in a book that's three months out because preview art shows him sitting in a chair

This is exactly why DC said that you can never show Batman sitting down

Just completely ignore his point about physical appearance and Ewings story then go on

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Rick posted:

His X-men stuff was definitely ignoring almost everything but Dark Phoenix saga and like X-Men #1, but yeah it's not a valid criticism outside of that. Also I think it's one of the better runs so it's not a slam.

the art is so bad its making it hard to read

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

marvel just straight up not trying to hide that krakoa is destroyed :wtc:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

I am really glad it turned into what it did. We got some bangers from it

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Dead X-Men #4 was fun. We get to see Orbis Stellaris dominion attempt, which wraps up how all 4 tried to ascend. I am convinced that part of the issue was originally intended to be in X-Men Red if it had more time.

Fall of the House of X #4, wow Xavier is a jerk. What the gently caress man. Also kinda curious why Xavier is wearing different costume in this than in Rise? Am I misunderstanding when Rise takes place?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Sheesh, Xavier is looking really bad right now. Unless he has some other plan in mind then so much for him being a hero.

Seems more and more likely he's Prisoner X.

I dont get how this can be happening in fall while hes doing the other stuff in rise :magemage:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

site posted:

fall was just not very good writing wise as has already been discussed, but one thing i couldn't help but notice the whole way through is that this is like, The End, of the krakoa era and they don't even bother having a big time, good artist on it. i kept looking at the page and thinking this is barely functional c tier book kinda stuff

Yeah Wernecks art feels as rushed as the writing. However, EVERY issue has some standout panels/pages that are really good. The half page Cyclops using blast on Omega Sentinel was really dynamic and nice.

Silva is crushing it on Rise.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Not that many people know about dominions right? I remember Sinister tried warning the council but I'm not sure if they know what he was talking about.

Maybe Xavier will be prisoner X cos noone knows he stopped Enigma 🤷‍♂️

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

OK now we know Xavier’s deal.

Dudes gonna sacrifice the AI to become a Dominion then let himself be imprisoned i loving know it

He'll probably watch everything from in his little cell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

I am interested in his Wolverine because I mostly know him for writing books with teenage heroes like Ms Marvel and Miles Morales Spider-Man.

His Daredevil started alright, as Zdarsky left him a hell of a new status quo to run with. It has quickly gone downhill into a mediocre run :smith: