Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rochallor posted:

Otherworld brings back some great memories of OG Excalibur stuff so it's lovely to see it again. I do find it odd that nobody consulted the Braddocks about bringing their crazy reality warping brother back to life. We know that Xavier wants to get his hands on as many omega mutants as possible, but still, you'd think that they might institute some counter-measures before resurrecting the guy whose shtick is going crazy and needing to be killed.

Jaime Braddock went crazy because Doctor Crocodile captured him and tortured him (with the eventual consent of Brian no less) for years on end. Being crazy isn't necessarily how Jamie Braddock always exists. However, his mutant powers also didn't manifest until years into the torture...and since he clearly has his powers now, that does suggest the memory dump includes the time he spent getting tortured. On the other hand, Proteus is usually just as crazy as Jamie normally is and seems to be doing fine (as long as they keep feeding him new Xavier bodies) and Jamie is acting like his pre-torture self, ie a selfish shitheel, rather than the disassociated mess he usually is, so perhaps Xavier did some brain tinkering while he was in the egg? :shrug:

Besides, if he can be kept under a semblance of control, Jaime Braddock is astoundingly powerful, and is powerful enough to theoretically fill in for Proteus in the Five if the latter gets run over by a bus or goes crazy again. That alone makes him worth bringing back, to say nothing of the general "we're bringing everyone back" core principle they've committed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Original Excalibur is one of my favorite books ever, and while this obviously isn’t meant to be an exact replacement, it feels a little off-brand. I love the idea of Betsy as new Captain Britai, but Gambit, Rogue, Andre Jubilee are probably the farthest characters from a magic-focused X-book possible.

Jubilee had that whole vampire thing for awhile which was pretty magic adjacent. Rogue and Gambit as the fish out of water could work. My problem was the pacing, which felt off to me, somehow. I dunno, maybe it was just a first issue problem, but the whole thing felt rushed to me. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

This was my first comic book ever:

So, speaking as a life long Cyclops guy, I'm loving X-Men as a Summers focused book where Cyke isn't portrayed as a complete rear end in a top hat and lovely dad for once. Cool Dad Cyclops is great and I'm entirely on board with him being the lead character of the flagship book. :colbert:

As for the rest, I'm loving New Mutants, I like Marauders, I'm kinda cold on Excalibur, and hoping that X-Force and Fallen Angels improve before I decide to pull the plug. I'll give 'em all the Three Episode Issue Test and see how I feel after that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The first Marvel comic I ever remember buying was one that came in this weird gift bag from Toys R. Us.

It was the issue where Wolverine had just recovered from getting his adamantium pulled out and then popped his bone claws for the first time.

It was weird.

Yeah, that wouldn't have been my choice for anyone's first issue. Though mine wasn't a great choice either, because it was a Cyclops solo issue...and the last one he was in for ages. Confused the hell out of ten year old me when he wasn't in the next issue.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Excalibur #2 has been read, and I'm still cool to it. Though I guess dragon Shogo was a neat touch. They've got one issue left to impress me.

Marauders #2 was good, but I'm finding that I'm actually more interested in the Red/White/Black Monarch politics than I am the more traditional "Mutants on a Boat" half of the story. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Transistor Rhythm posted:

My first was uncanny 176 with Cyclops on his honeymoon fighting the giant octopus.

Hey there, fellow Uncanny X-Men #176 bro! :hfive:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

Do I need to be reading all the X-lines to get what is happening in X-Men right now? I read House and Power of X and liked it, decided to read X-Men and skip the rest because I can't really justify buying more books right now, and I open the latest issue and it says after the death of Professor X (see X-Factor number 1). I get having a cohesive universe and all but are the titles going to be self contained or is there going to be a lot of jumping between the titles?

You probably don't need any other books, but they are bouncing off one another some, so you'll miss some interesting crossover stuff, like Kitty showing up in Excalibur #2, but that hasn't been enough to make me enthused abut the weaker X-books, like Excalibur or X-Force. Read as much or as little as you want to, if you think you're missing something, come back here and someone will fill in the gaps.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Laughing Zealot posted:

I was gonna make a joke about her just killing herself and respawn but I wouldn't be surprised if they inexplicably crawled out of the eggs with the tattoos.

It's totally explicable. You've got Proteus right there altering reality to make sure the person who comes out of the egg is the same one who died. Given the batshit crazy stuff we've seen Proteus do over the years putting some ink on Kate's fingers is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

IUG posted:

Comedy answer: The next time she phases the ink falls right out onto the ground.

You could make a decent argument for that exact thing happening if she didn't concentrate on it. Presumably she only phases her clothes with her because she makes a conscious effort to bring them, just like she does when she brings another person or whatever she's carrying with her. Ergo, if she doesn't think to also phase her new tat, there actually would be a puddle of ink left on the floor or the wall she phases through next. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Nah, that's unstable molecules.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. Well unless those are unstable molecule inks then...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

X-Force #2 was better than the first issue, mostly because of Kid Omega. But better isn't the same as good and they've got just one issue left to keep me on board, in line with my Three Issue Protocol.

Fallen Angels is likewise on the precipice. Most of the other books have at least some thematic links to the original books of that name. X-Men and New Mutants work especially well in that regard, but even X-Force has some carry over characters and the theme of "X-Men black ops team" still works. Excalibur is working hard on elements that were a big deal in the Claremont/Davis era, and especially so on the Davis solo books. Marauders, of course, is a brand new book with no predecessor unless you count Pirate Kitty from Kitty's Fairy Tale and the Nightcrawler mini. But Fallen Angels doesn't really have much to do with the old Fallen Angels mini, and instead seems to be aiming for "The OTHER X-Men black ops team" which just isn't working for me, not least of which because the keep backsliding Laura. (Where the hell is Gabby, anyway?) Not connecting to a title long left by the wayside isn't crippling, of course, but I'm having a hard time caring about brooding Psylocke, young man Cable, and out of character Laura. One issue left before I hit eject.

New Mutants continues to be a lot of fun. Of course they are kind of lampshading everywhere now that it was a really stupid idea to let Doug wander off into space, but that's part of the fun.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

What is there to apologize for? Genuinely curious, but I do not follow...whatever comic that is from.

The character in question, X-23, just spent the last several years in her own book (All-New Wolverine) dealing with these very issues, and was doing much better, thank you. The writer of Fallen Angels has decided that the best thing to do would be to ignore all that growth, growth that most every fan of the character quite enjoyed and thought was a positive development for the character, mind, and reset her back to where she was before All-New Wolverine, in effect invalidating a much beloved run. Having been called on this very thing by readers after the first issue of Fallen Angels, the writer then apologized for the error and promised to characterize her better in the future.

This being the SECOND issue of Fallen Angels, there's some annoyance that X-23 is STILL acting out of character.

That said, given comic production times it's entirely likely that as many as the first four or even six issues of Fallen Angels have already been written and are at the artist or even further along in production, making it difficult if not impossible to make significant changes, so I'm grudgingly inclined to give them a pass on that score. If things haven't improved by the second arc (around issue seven or so) then there will be some upset fans out there. Though since I'm not particularly enjoying Fallen Angels for other reasons, including the art, tone of the story, and characters I don't care about, there's a significant chance that I won't even be reading the book and won't know or care if they get X-23's character right by then. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I dunno, maybe Feral?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Three Issue Protocol

So here we are, three issues in to the new era of X. How're things looking?

For the most part, pretty good. I'm keeping most of the books, dropping only one with another two having three more issues to prove themselves. But good isn't perfect, and I've got some line-wide comments to discuss before we get to individual series.

My biggest concern is actually something that got brought up during House/Powers of X, which is a lack of narrative cohesion. House and Powers were, it was said, failing in basic storytelling, being more interested in setting up the new status quo than they were in telling a story in of themselves. While it can be argued that the way House and Powers wrapped up did make it a complete story, albeit a somewhat disjointed one, the defense presented by many (including myself) was "don't worry, there's a lot to set up here. The real storytelling will happen in the new books."

So here we are with the new books and some of them are still pretty drat disjointed. The biggest culprit is X-Men, with three different storylines with three different antagonists across three issues. This in of itself need not be a problem if each as resolved, but all three are left dangling. Orchis is still around and has a previously unrevealed leader and a plan, which leads into...Krakoa having sex(?!!) and introducing the Summoners and the Arak Maw, which gets us to....evil genocidal Golden Girls? Orchis being left as a future threat is fine, I guess, but it's puzzling that the introduction of a whole new island worth of people including a hellmouth-like gate to a dimension wracked with eternal war isn't so much as mentioned in the next issue of the book. New Mutants and Maraduers are likewise switching things up, though at least those books are flipping between cast members as the focus...though it wasn't until issue three that we realized that the likes of Armor, Glob, and Shinobi Shaw even were members of the casts of their respective books.

On the other hand, the three books that have decided to stick to more of a traditional narrative style, Excalibur, X-Force, and Fallen Angels are the ones I like the least, so maybe there's something to all the non-traditional storytelling going on? :shrug:

Still, for all that there's supposed to be a master plan in place, it sure seems like there's a lot of redundancy going around. Do we really need two organizations of former spies conspiring against Krakoa in Orchis and XENO? To say nothing of whatever the hell is going on with Apoth's child cyber-soldiers over in Fallen Angels? It all seems a bit much, and a bit samey to boot.

Well, on with the books.

Marauders - I'm actually quite a bit more interested in the Hellfire politics than I am with mutant vs soldiers action, so seeing how this all works out is pretty interesting so far. The addition to the cast of Shinobi Shaw who is not only a political rival, but shares Kate's phasing powers, could lead to a particularly amusing set of conflicts. Probably my favorite book of the lot, despite my Cyclops fandom.
Verdict: Continuing

X-Men - So far X-Men has felt less than the sum of it's part. Each individual issue is pretty good on it's own, it's just that taken as a whole that doesn't make much sense. But three issues is, to be fair, only half of the usual six issue story arc and I was surprised by how well House and Powers of X managed to draw seemingly unconnected plot threads together into something approaching a reasonable whole in the end, so I'll cut X-Men some slack until we see where they're going with it all. Besides, it's a Cyclops centric book that doesn't make him out to be an rear end in a top hat or deadbeat dad, and those are rare finds of late. And I am, as I've mentioned, quite the Cyclops fan.

New Mutants - The light hearted and funny book of the X-line got quite a bit more serious and unfunny with issue three and the addition of some of the other young X-folks to the cast. While it was nice to reconnect with Armor and Glob (and briefly Boom-Boom who really should have been in on the space trip, as she complains), to say nothing of Angel and Beak, I missed the fun that the original New Mutants cast seemed to be having. Still they won a lot of good will from me so far, so I'm content to see where this is going.

Excalibur - This one grew on me, despite a rocky beginning. There's just enough there to make me curious about what'll happen next that I'll give it another three issues to finish out the opening arc before I decide its fate. I do have to wonder why no one's seemed to have thought to bring Meggan along, since it's her husband who's been enslaved by dark magic.
Verdict: Moved to Six Issue Protocol

X-Force As of issue two, I was sure I was going to drop this, but the bits with Jean and Beast gave me pause. Using the assassination as a inciting event to recreate X-Force as the Krakoa's black ops team makes sense, and I'll go through the first arc before I decide for sure.
Verdict: Moved to Six Issue Protocol

Fallen Angels - Skwirl said it best...

Skwirl posted:

Fallen Angels is basically "The Character Assassination of Laura Kinney by the coward Bryan Hill."

There's only one character in the book I care about, Laura, and they seem determined to keep trashing her character development over the last few years. I'd be willing to look past that if there was anything else interesting going on, but I don't care about this version of Psylocke, I don't care about young hothead Cable, and I don't care about whatever Apoth is doing.
Verdict: Dropped

So there it is. As of three issues in, I'm keeping 5/6 of the new X-books, albeit with two still on probation. Not perfect, but still....pretty good.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 13, 2019

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Cabbit posted:

I enjoy reading Excalibur but gently caress me if I understand half of what's going on. Everything seems so disjointed.

Yeah, I was gonna complain about that too. The pacing felt really weird to me.

Synthbuttrange posted:

did anyone read fallen angels today hahahahah I dont even see any mention of it

Nope. Dropped it after #3.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Domino probably should kamikaze so she can get a new non mutilated body while they’re at it.

She tried, in that we see her fail to get through the gate before it closes. Presumably her powers intervened to make her just a bit too slow to get killed like Logan and Quire. Though arguably Wolverine might be able to survive getting cut in half. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I can't believe this movie is finally coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_vJhUAOFpI

It was already in the can, they were going to release it in some form. The production costs have already been paid, so even if it bombs terribly you're at least getting something back. :shrug:

I'm just surprised it's getting a theatrical release. I'd figured it to be Disney Plus for sure.

Interesting to see them touch upon background details that even the comics rarely mention anymore, like Sam's coal miner background, or Bobby's dead first girfriend.

Gotta say that I'm moderately more interested in the film now.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Also it is, as with Magneto's tactics, turning human logic against the humans. After all, we've seen time and again that every time Magneto or Sabretooth or Apocalypse murders a bunch of humans, it's a "Mutant Atrocity" and all mutants take the blame for it, even the ones like the X-Men who tried to stop it. If every attack by a mutant against humans is "Mutant Aggression", then any attack on mutants by humans is "Human Aggression."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Wow, he's been a punk rear end bitch his entire existence. That's loving harsh. He should have become a janitor for the X-Men way the gently caress earlier.

I seem to recall he grew a brain and some balls for a brief period and was the leader of the Brotherhood for awhile when both Magneto and Mystique were doing face turns.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

So Marauders was fine, but I'm curious as to when Callisto became hot. Was that a conscious thing or did she just start getting drawn like she wasn't originally a hard-looking woman?

Masque made her hot at a time when she'd lost her memories and she became a fashion model, hence the reference from Jumbo about her being on the catwalk. This was right after the Siege Perilous thing, and she got into a relationship with Colossus who had lost his memories and was living as an artist in New York.

I think it's also likely that she was naturally attractive, and had chosen to have Masque make her look harder as part of that whole "Morlocks live apart from humanity and we wear that on our intentionally ugly faces" thing they had going before most of them died in the Massacre.

Marauders was decent enough, though frankly anyone stupid enough to guard a teleport gate from right on top of it when you're carrying rifles deserves to get blown up by a grenade. Surround the thing at 50 meters and shoot Bishop when he comes out from a safe distance, you dumbasses. :doh:

Liked Fantastic Four/X-Men, though I'm way more interested in how next issue turns out than I was for the first issue.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

danbanana posted:

I was wracking my brain about "callisto being a model" and when that was so thanks for the trip down memory lane. Another reminder of how loving weird uncanny was between issue 250 and claremont leaving. 30 issues of the best selling comic in the world where the team doesn't actually appear in like 28 of those issues.

If I remember right, part of her origin was that she was attractive then got into an accident and realized that the world loving sucks when you're not pretty. I believe it was her motivation for joining (co-founding?) the morlocks.

Huh, I missed that one, but given the length and breadth of X-Men continuity, I'm not sure anyone has a hold of all of it, except maybe Paul O'Brien over at House to Astonish (formerly of X-Axis). Speaking of whom, O'Brien's been doing issue by issue annotations of the new X-run starting with House and Power, which are really good for catching little details that are easy to miss.

Aphrodite posted:

Gambit and Rogue name their future daughter Irene. Ick.

It's to honor Destiny, who was one of Rogue's two moms growing up. Destiny's real name was Irene Adler. Well, since that's also the name of a famous Sherlock Holmes character, I doubt it was her actual birth name, but it was her "civilian" ID, anyway.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Shame on you for forgetting Jay & Miles! :colbert:

I dunno, they've been working their ways forwards in time from the '60s issues and are only up to 1995 or so. Considering how often they admit to "I had completely forgotten that <character, situation, weird rear end goofiness> until I re-read it for the show," I'd say that O'Brien's got 'em beat over the whole of X-Men history, at least until Jay & Miles catches up to the present day. Which is several years away at the current pace, I figure.

Would be awesome to get them in a head to head X-Men trivia off, come to think of it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Cocks Cable posted:

Have they resurrected Destiny?

Not yet, and that's a plot point. Mystique's been pushing hard to get Destiny back, but Xavier's been putting her off because of fears about the whole Moira-Destiny thing from Moira's third life.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Here's my Dumb Prediction/Lukewarm Take: the government figure/analyst writing the briefings in Marauders is Gyrich.

Think about it: the mutants finally decided to start playing the game and you need a subject matter expert right now? He's the guy you call.

They seem to be ignoring this poor guy, though. I expect that Gyrich, if he's involved at all, is working with the real covert response team being setup that this guy doesn't know about.

Likewise Cooper has contacts among the mutants and would be much more involved, and more likely to go off the reservation than report-writing guy seems to.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

New left-field (not as far left-field as those X-Factor FBI agents) guess: Everett Ross.

1) He was living in Brooklyn for most of the Priest Black Panther series which ran concurrently to Morrison's X-Men
2) He "knows people" (specifically T'Challa) who could get him in touch with Krakoans, but doesn't really know that many mutants, and probably hasn't spent much/any time with Kate Pryde
3) We don't know anything about his family so the mother/sister isn't contradicting anything
4) The sort of "hey I'm stuck at an underfunded desk is anyone paying attention to me?" schtick fits him better than any of the other established characters postulated

Plus people's awareness of him is increased since Black Panther. Hmmm. Without doing a deep dive to make sure he isn't still in Wakanda or dead or turned into a cyborg or something (though I guess even a cyborg Ross behind a desk filing reports no one reads would still fit the character), I'd buy that. Assuming it really is an established character at all, of course, but if it is, I like your guess best.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Bringing back Farouk only for him to get possessed by the Shadow King again seems inevitable.

Almost certain that Farouk was long dead before Cerebro was a thing, so there's no memories/soul stored to return to him.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

On the note of assholes I would love to know how Emplate is making do on the island without causing huge problems for everybody else. Do they just make lifeless husks for him to eat or what?

Yes. Pretty much the same way they make new bodies for Proteus to take over so he doesn't wear them out and go crazy again. Probably mindless/souless Xavier bodies, actually, since that's what they feed to Proteus.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Fishylungs posted:

Call that series Desklok!

:golfclap:

I'd read it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I still think they're playing Shaw.

Kate's funeral one issue BEFORE the logical conclusion of the arc (in #12)? Yeah, it's a long con all right.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

The thing I'm wondering is how likely it is that Chuck hasn't already read her mind, either recently or over the years, and discovered Destiny's warning?

e: You know, since Jean's already proven she can helm the resurrection process, maybe what Raven needs to do is to try and convince Jean and the Five to bring back Destiny without Charles' involvement at all. She is a Council member, and if she can convince Jean her cause is just then having two Council members ask the Five may be influence enough. Or, hell, bring it up in an open Council session and make Chuck and Erik either have to back down and let Destiny come back or at least get a public explanation why.

But no, we're probably going to have her sabotage missions in a way that does incalculable harm instead. :sigh:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 13, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

Krakoan culture does strike me as being set up to be deeply hosed up, from the fact that everyone blames Wanda for the Decimation when a not-small part of her issues are Magneto's fault, and now this Crucible stuff, and the fact that they've got freaking Exodus being responsible for teaching kids literally anything, but... the kinda poo poo that society at large believes in the homo sapiens world is pretty hosed up too, so you can't just roll your eyes and go "That would never happen!"

Yeah, I was a little disturbed by that too. You let Exodus anywhere near impressionable kids, and you deserve the fiery apocalypse that you get in the end. (In this case, possibly including Apocalypse on fire! :supaburn:)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Very cool and yeah, super unnerving.

I think you've hit upon the dominant themes of the entire Krakoa era right there.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

What are the famous swords in Marvel? I've got
Excalibur
Muramasa Blade
Soul Sword
Twilight
Whatever the Black Knight had
Maybe Shatterstar's with two blades on one hilt?
Was Silver Samurai's sword special in and of itself? I've honestly never really understood his whole deal to begin with.

The Black Knight wields the Ebony Blade, a soul-sucking cursed sword made by Merlin. At various times in his career, he's tried ditching the thing, including a period where he was using a lightsaber made for him by Hank Pym, but he always gets drawn back to the Ebony Blade before too long.

Shatterstar can generate bio-electricity and does it best through metal....like his swords. The blades themselves aren't special, aside from being goofy as gently caress.

The Silver Samurai's mutant power lets him channel an energy field around metal he's holding, making it able to cut things better. He usually uses it on his family katana, but he's occasionally deigned to use it on other metal. The sword he carries is old and valuable as an heirloom, but not inherently powerful or anything.

The original Swordsman, sometime villain, sometime Avenger, had a sword made for him by the Mandarin that can shoot a variety of energy effects. After he died, Andreas Strucker, half of Fenris, took up the name as part of the Thunderbolts with a sword with the hilt wrapped in his dead twin sister's skin which let him use his mutant power of force blasts, which he can only do while touching his sister (which they normally do by holding hands in combat, allowing her to use her laser blasts as well).

There have been a lot of high tech gimmick swords like that, as well as magical ones. Sif had one that can make portals between worlds for awhile, for instance

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

That appears to be Scalphunter in the upper left wielding a FFVIII style Gunblade!!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Cable #1, okay so Silver Samurai dunking on Wolverine was hilarious. Space Knights! Old Cable? Fun adventures with a sense of humor! Holy crap, I liked a Cable book!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

A co-worker purchased House of X hardcover and holy poo poo did I like it (I wasn't wild about the Ascension stuff, but in the end I thought it paid off.) Can I JUST read X-Men (Vol 5) will the continuing story make sense? I don't want to have to read like 17 different X books

Sandwolf posted:

(Hi Sal) if you like the Krakoa stuff I would read X-Men and then maybe Marauders (if you want more Krakoan politics) or X-Force (for individual’s interactions with Krakoa)

I would also add New Mutants, which became very relevant to X-Men with the most recent issue of X-Men.

I would not read Fallen Angels, which is terrible, and Excalibur, which isn't bad per say, but also doesn't seem to have much if anything to do with any of the other books. (Which is in the fine tradition of Excalibur going back to Claremont and Davis, when you get right down to it.)

Cable seems to be emerging from a plotline in an early issue of X-Men, and further is delightful, so I'd recommend that as well even if the case for relevance is somewhat dicier.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

LifeGetsWorser posted:

As someone who read the entire run of Fallen Angels it is indeed terrible but might have something to do with the upcoming Hellions, though I sincerely doubt it will actually be necessary.

I actually do recommend Excalibur even though it on occasionally intersects with the rest of the X books because the story has really started to come into it's own and I am really digging the art style for some reason and the current take on Apocalypse (sorry, -=A=-).

Oh, I'm enjoying Excalibur as well, but the question was how many books do you need to read to keep up with X-Men? And those would be X-Men, X-Force, and New Mutants.

Marauders, Cable, X-Men/Fantastic Four, and X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost are all tangentially related and add value, and are good books as well, but aren't strictly speaking necessary.

Excalibur and Wolverine are good books in their own right, but if you're looking for places to make cuts to keep to the "core story" these have to be considered skippable since they really don't impact anything else at all.

Fallen Angels should be skipped both because it isn't relevant and because it sucks. :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

Cyclops was right in three different X books this week. Everyone is doing a great job with him.

That said, in X-Men/FF....he should have asserted his authority as Commander. They're in the field, and by the laws of Krakoa he had every right to shut that nonsense down, even over the wishes of multiple members of the Council.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

galagazombie posted:

They chose to get their powers back and that was the only option they were allowed. I'm sure if you actually gave 99% of them a choice to just jump off a cliff or if that's too suicidey, charge an army of Brood with a bomb, they'd take that over Apocalypse's method in a heartbeat.

That's literally the point. They don't WANT it to be easy. They're trying to DISCOURAGE people dying frivolously.

"You want to skip to the front of the line? Fine, but you have to do something awful and painful. If you just slug down some pills and booze, you go to back of the line and wait for however long it takes us to get through millions of dead Genoshans. If you're not willing to fight for your right to die, maybe you should look into continuing to live as you are."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Wanderer posted:

If anything, he was forced to sneak a lot of it past his editors. As has recently been discussed, his original plan was that Mystique would've shapeshifted into a man in order to father Nightcrawler with Destiny. Dude was 20 years ahead of the American horniness curve.

I am occasionally grateful that Claremont grew up reading Heinlein, though, where enthusiastic consent was typically the order of the day, rather than anything more questionable than that.

(There's a funny story in Peter Sanderson's X-Men Companion interviews, where Claremont apparently has most of a spec script in a drawer somewhere about a crossover between John Norman's Gor novels and Iron Fist. A bunch of Gorean slave traders would have landed in New York and kidnapped Misty Knight and Colleen Wing. By the time Danny and Luke borrow a spaceship to go after them and bring them back, Misty and Colleen have overthrown civilization on Gor.)

Now THAT is loving hilarious. If there was ever a civilization that deserved to be overthrown it was that one.