Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Original Excalibur is one of my favorite books ever, and while this obviously isn’t meant to be an exact replacement, it feels a little off-brand. I love the idea of Betsy as new Captain Britain, but Gambit, Rogue, and Jubilee are probably the farthest characters from a magic-focused X-book possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Well, New Mutants is delightful. I’m in the middle of a reread of the OG series and this just feels like such a perfect return to form, without Bobby being a total dickhead 100% of the time.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Well, I love how weird-as-hell X-men #2 has gotten already. We’re headfirst into Lost territory, huh?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Also, I hated everything about the concept of Young Hot Twink Cable until this issue, where he’s wonderful.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Boy oh boy I was not feeling anything about fallen angels. The artwork didn't appeal to me and the story doesn't seem that exciting so far. Not every x book will be for me but everything is getting at least 3 issues before I start trimming.

It’s quite “nineties edgy” so far, has an uncompelling cast, and the best character (Laura, duh) is being written way out of character and regressive and one-note. I’m with you. I’ll give it...two more?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

My first was uncanny 176 with Cyclops on his honeymoon fighting the giant octopus.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Hey there, fellow Uncanny X-Men #176 bro! :hfive:

Hail!!!!!

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Imnotliketheothergirls.jpg

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Hi thread, I fell behind after the first few issues of each of the new series. Which should I spend the money to catch up on? Definitely planning on Marauders and New Mutants. NO to Fallen Angels. What about the others? Are they total poo poo or worth catching up on?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

I had to double check that I hadn’t missed an issue between X-men 4 and 5. Did this stuff get set up another book?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

It's basically in media res, the first page with cyclops is the last page of the issue.

I got that, it just seems like the vault thing is treated like something that was introduced before. And Serafina? I took a few months off.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Beerdeer posted:

I started reading the original X-Force last night and the art was just painful. I don't get why Liefeld was so idolized. Is there a good history of that period?

I just hit it in a re-read of TNM and it’s still SUCH a leap over the quality of art in that book and other contempt titles like X-Factor. It’s like things go from budget 1982 to the Nineties in one issue. It’s messy and goony but I still love it. You kind of had to be there the first time around - it felt so MODERN.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

This might seem silly but is there somewhere I can see a definitive up to date release schedule? The marvel app is piss poor at this.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Giant Size Jean/Emma is the most Morrison thing I’ve read in years.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

I’ve reached the stage of my All-Xbooks re-read (just hitting X-tinction Agenda) where I’ve realized that “X Factor’s” yuppie phase is one of my favorite moments in the whole thing. That book turns into “Thirtysomething” for a solid 40 issues.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Are there no new x books or what

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Any new today?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Sorry, you're wrong. Especially since the cover to X-Men 1 can read: Never talk to me or my son or my brother or my other brother or my father or my alternate reality daughter or my wife or my wife's boyfriend again.

I was also looking for a line in one of the latest X-Men issues that Vulcan says, but came across this which I don't think has been talked about here:

https://twitter.com/RedClops123/status/1237898286435946497

Hickman, you are tricky.

What’s the actual implication of this?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Hi all, I stopped when comics paused for covid and am just getting back on the horse. What’s good and what sucks?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

I just started really catching up last night. X of swords seems like a really goofy and off-brand idea.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Hi thread, after 2 years or so of reading literally every X-book from the beginning, in exact continuity order, I’m hitting the age of apocalypse which is where I stopped reading the first time around (1995ish). I know that Onslaught stuff is coming and is really regarded to be pee-pee poo-poo, but is there anything good in the 95-00 range worth continuing to read for?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it really sucks and is surprising since they've filled in most of the other big X-Men gaps.

On this recent reread of mine I encountered that X Factor has a really massive gap in the middle that doesn’t seem to have any sort of logic behind why it is missing. There’s also a huge wolverine gap after issue 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

This reminds me of something I’ve wondered for a while - how are the master copies of all of these comics stored? Is there a vault somewhere of them on flat master prints or something? When were these scanned? Etc