Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

Laughing Zealot posted:

X-force

I've been warming up to this thing about Krakoa being the ultimate safe haven that mutants could escape to after all the poo poo they've been through the years. Could we not have gone longer than a month before the defenses are breached, hilariously easily I might add, and people get blown apart?

While overall, I thought it was an decent introductory issue with an interesting undercurrent, the "shocking twist" at the end is cause for concern, as it retreads the same sort of problematic narrative ground that the X-Men just escaped for simple shock value. It's pretty clear that this twist will be undone or shown to be a fakeout.

Re: New Mutants
The art was gorgeous, though it does surprise me that this group isn't being used for the Excalibur plot. I've always thought the New Mutants work best in fantasy or high fantasy settings.

hexate fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

X-Force feels to me like it's trying to walk a tightrope. Any one of Beast, Domino, Wolverine, Jean, Black Tom feels like they're portrayed as if something's ever-so-slightly off, but collectively...

I'm left with the distinct feeling that there's some fuckery by Xavier and Moira going on.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

I love that the art in X-Factor feels like it's ripped straight out of the animated Wolverine and the X-Men.

Also, liking the hooks developed for Vulcan this week.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

So...the Shadow King has been in Moira's head.

Does that mean he knows everything?

Small touches like these sprinkled throughout the Dawn of X books, which hint that something is ever so slightly off-kilter, are really engaging. I'm glad they didn't stop with Dawn of X proper.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

Looking back at X-Men #12 and X of Swords #1, there's an obvious parallel in that both Okkara and Rockslide were cleaved in two by a twilight blade. Hoping that there's more in store for Rockslide than just a shocking death...

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

The info-dumps continually sprinkled throughout the event about the kingdoms of Otherworld makes suspect what Saturnyne's game is. Ten duels, ten kingdoms? Hmm...

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Also for anyone who loves Pog your Pogs, he just got unceremonially written out in the first two pages of this week's X-Force. Not a good start. And it doesn't even make a lick of sense.

???? Hard to call him written out when he returns in literally the next two pages after that.

Anyways, this week had finally started to deliver on sword fights, and they shine in no small part because of the time spent developing the Arrakoan combatants in the front half of the series.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

It feels especially stupid, in addition to the points above, because of how it seems to obliterate a dangling thread built up in HoX and the recent X-Men/FF crossover.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Man, I love his character expressions, but is it controversial to say he doesn't do action well?

It's super stiff.

It lacks gravitas.

And it can even be confusing at times. What's even going on here? Gorgon turned one guy into stone and then that guy broke into pieces from inside(??) or the guy behind the stone dude broke him into pieces to get a shot at Gorgon? Who knows?

He's got a simple, muted style, but I think it works here. His art conveys how out of his depth Cable is, while Gorgon feels like he's making measured blows against bleak overwhelming odds.

If it felt a little anticlimatic, it was probably intentional. Where this shines is how the characters react to their defeats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

Don't forget that half of this new Nimrod was just dumped into a singularity. Looking back to PoX, it's hard to see that as coincidental.