Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I remember in late 90s when the grocery stores on semi-rural Idaho sold comics I picked up some x-men comic books.

I had no idea what was going on so I asked my mom to pick up the issues that were referenced with * next time she was at the grocery store, having no idea they usually referenced issues that were months long gone and there was no way in hell those grocery stores still carried them.

A hard lesson to learn. I also got attached to Ben Reilly as the only active Spider-Man I knew at the time and was probably one of the few who cried when he died but such is middle-school life.

Lol I had a similar experience except it was just my mum buying me random comics for a while that I hadn't expressed any interest in, which I appreciated but was bizarre. This was in the UK too so god knows how many years behind we were, or what weird repackaged stories we were getting.

I remember getting a "Wolverine and Gambit" one for a while which seemed cool because I was 12 and we were probably getting the height of edgy stories. There was one completely incomprehensible one I still remember about Wolverine wandering through uh... an Asian city (Madripoor probably?) and going through a glowing magic door and meeting a psychic lady who spoke in riddles about his future. For once I don't think it was Jean Grey or a relative. I think he had bone claws and amnesia. I realise I am probably describing a good 60% of 90s Wolverine stories.

For Spiderman comics I came in when everyone was still recovering from the clone saga and making fun of it. Mary Jane got blown up by a stalker on a plane and the Gathering of Five happened. At one point he found a middle eastern lady kept in a birdcage by an evil wizard and made out with her despite having a wife because she was just too seductive, which felt racially insensitive even at the time.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Fell down a rabbit hole trying to figure out what that Wolverine and Gambit issue was. Apparently it was a UK only book that reprinted old stories.

There's a cover that has Wolverine with bone claws, but the story inside is a reprint of an issue from the Wolverine and Kitty Pryde mini series. Marvel database has the comic you're looking for somewhere, but it'd take a while to find it unless we can sus out what comic it was reprinting.

Lmao it's so relieving that I'm not just a complete moron, I've definitely tried to find it before.

Other things I remember about it that probably don't help:

Gambit was I think fighting contras

Wolverine throws a motorbike at some Triad men after stabbing it with his claws and it explodes

Wolverine wakes up in what I now realise is an Apocalypse Now homage and refers to his tongue feeling like sandpaper because he has a hangover, which in retrospect, how on earth can he get a hangover

I love 90s bullshit

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Fell down a rabbit hole trying to figure out what that Wolverine and Gambit issue was. Apparently it was a UK only book that reprinted old stories.

There's a cover that has Wolverine with bone claws, but the story inside is a reprint of an issue from the Wolverine and Kitty Pryde mini series. Marvel database has the comic you're looking for somewhere, but it'd take a while to find it unless we can sus out what comic it was reprinting.

If anyone is curious I did some more digging and narrowed down the range of issues I read at least, early 2001, and I am absolutely certain because I discovered they included this absolute delight and brought some memories back immediately.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Wolverine_Vol_2_22

The evil cocaine monster was quite memorable, funnily enough.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I am only casually keeping up with the current story so maybe I'm confusing reader knowledge with character knowledge, but I thought everyone understood that once a Dominion exists, it has always existed. Why does anyone think going back in time and killing Moira will stop it coming into existence now that it exists

(I mean I know it won't work anyway because even Marvel editors wouldn't mandate an unsatisfying "shoot an innocent teenage girl in the head" ending that retcons the last five years of critically and commercially beloved stories out of existence, but why does Xavier think it might work)

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 22, 2024

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

It's stated in this issue of Rise: they have seen signs the Dominion is worried about their plan, as if this particular Dominion can only affect from Moira's powering up onward, when new timelines were suddenly created and destroyed over and over. Xavier doesn't 100% believe this plan will work, but it's the only chance he and his buddy "Doug" can see, so here we are.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

This Dominion relied specifically on the Moira Engines to succeed. No Moira, no engines.
This sounds a bit like they realised they wrote themselves into a corner with the general "once it comes into existence, it has always existed and transcends time" and have added a specific exception for this one fella, but you know what, fair enough. As comic book time travel rules go we've accepted worse

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lol well at least they're keeping their options open. Honestly I feel they undermined the threat from the start by saying "this thing is so scary that the only thing that can possibly defeat it is... one of your main team members when she gets her usual power up"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm introducing the most fearsome dragon ball villain yet: Doorknob of the Furniture Gang. He can only be defeated by the power of a Super Saiyan 2

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My head canon is that a Dominion can and does exist outside of space and time but whenever it ventures (maybe not entirely but with "tendrils" of itself) into either time or space to gently caress with stuff it because vulnerable to the rules that exist for us mere mortals. And because of that it can be beaten since it's coming down to our level.

Note that this theory is stolen from Wheel of Time and how the Dark One exists outside of time but is able to be defeated because it is "touching the world"

Yeah you know what, I quite like that, it's very mythic and means this guy's defeat can be blamed directly on Sinister's hubris. Picturing all the real adult Dominions sit at their poker table and chuckle at the new guy.

Also I know we're never going to see or hear about Dominions again but if there are several of them surely they just merge into the next stage of ultimate intelligence. No you know what it's fine. Let's just leave it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

It would actually retcon the last 48 years of X-Men comics. Moira MacTaggert first appeared in December 1975 and was incredibly import for the majority of Claremont's run and to a lesser degree even after he left up until her "death" to the legacy virus in the 90s

Lmfao the thought just occurred to me - is this particular subplot going to end with them doing a Beast and bootstrapping Moira's past self up to defeat the current one. It would be incredibly funny if they did that twice in one event

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 22, 2024

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Speak posted:

To be fair, this was quite literally in the text of issue 1.

Does Cyclops believe that if not for the trial, Orchis' lawyers would be fighting on the front lines? I'm not sure there's much crossover in these roles

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's extremely funny to me that after months if not years of hype and buildup for the great Fall of X, the evil plan turned out to be "let's go see the mutants and beat them up". Truly a satisfying culmination of complex plot threads

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

site posted:

if we're at the point of saying "being able to identify the motivation of orchis and its members is empathizing with them" we might as well say that every person who has written an x book since 2019 empathizes with orchis

I think the joke was that the baddies are robots and his name suggests he's a robot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Krakoa is actually meant as a metaphor for Scottish independence

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Going back to Resurrection of Magneto and the Pantheon of Evil Entities that are aspects of something else. I saw a post that this is likely another call back to Defenders like Enigma is. There was an ancient evil called Anti-All there that was defeated and shattered into multiple shards that spread throughout reality, it was said that various evil beings were spawned by those shards, Knull and the Chaos King being given as examples.

Al Ewing is just fixated on the "as above, so below" macrocosm/microcosm kind of occultism but I can't take him seriously on it because he also thinks tarot cards are deep

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is it possible the new artist just genuinely didn't know what was going to happen with Ewing's story? I wouldn't put it past editorial to just not share important information like that but I don't really know if that's plausible at all

Also is Magneto still a holocaust survivor because we're getting to the point where that's already stretching credibility lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

How do you think Juggernaut spent his time flying through space in Sins of Sinister for like hundreds of years?

Flying through space mostly

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

The original Secret Empire arc is also pretty good and ends with President Richard Nixon committing suicide in front of Captain America and that fucks up Steve so much he stops being Captain America for a while.
This is a considerable step up from the Days of Future Past film deciding that the tense climax should for some reason revolve around our heroes' attempt to save Richard Nixon from assassination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Not that hard to shape an A into an R.
Look we've been over this and it's better to just not use either word