Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
This was my first X-Men comic. Let's just say that the backup story where Colossus loses his virginity to a woman from the Savage Land was a little confusing to 9 year old me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

Awesome talking heads issue of X-Men. If you haven’t read Hickman’s X-Men yet, this is a good one to check out to see if you like the over all concept.

I think this was my favorite issue yet. Every character had at least one badass moment. While talking.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

If it works without Tempus you either have to wait at least 15 to 30 some odd years or have Cable running a constant daycare service in a post apocalyptic future.

Take my money.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

danbanana posted:

Sam is always nigh-invulnerable when blastin'.

drat straight he is.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

They already gave a pass for kids, like Shogo. Even if he wants to spend most of his time as a dragon.

God drat, I love comics.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Who is the pipe smoking guy with Magneto? I’m surprised how many I don’t recognize.

Jack Kirby!

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Beerdeer posted:

They did that twice. There was a set where only Magik had a decent suit

and then a second set where Rahne and Bobby were the only ones shorted.

Holy crap, I love both of those Illyana costumes, minus the mask in the second one.

I am a big fan of the first appearance of purple and white for Cannonball's costume, presaging his x-force outfit.

But it's silly for him to have a helmet, because he doesn't need it. You know why?

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Archer666 posted:

At this point he should change his name to Krakoan Kenny and just embrace it.

Oh my god! They killed Quenny!

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Adder Moray posted:

Apocalypse vs Annihilation: Custody Battle

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Connellingus posted:

a high-stakes game of Calvinball

I love this.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

I love Hickman Cyclops so much.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Bonus meme

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

I honestly can't imagine any good story will come out of this Arakki stuff -- you just have to look at the info page to see they will be introducing a bunch of new blah characters.

But that moment where Xavier and Magneto looked so completely out of their depth, one trying to boast about their cobbled up government, the other holding a flower and talking about peaceful ways, and Isca just laughed like a parent who knows their kid is just going through a phase, that was legit great.

"You are children running a child government."

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Someone should do a How It Started/How It’s Going with Liefeld Cable and Noto young Cable.

How It Started
How It's Going

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Way of X hit overdrive fast. Between Charles looking longingly at the picture of Legion and his mom earlier and remembering quite suddenly that Is Spurrier wrote X-Men Legacy, Legion showing up wasn't completely a surprise, but it was executed extremely well. I'm down for any story in which Nightcrawler can be both funny and the conscience of the X-Men. It feels a little wild to me that like ten pages of this did more to establish mutant teen culture than New Mutants has up until this point.

SWORD dunking on Cortez some more and boosting Peepers? I'm here for it.

X-Force I was OK with story-wise, but the art...so bad.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

My headcanon for this week's SWORD is that Magneto didn't ask Jean to bring Cortez without letting him get the yolk off or get dressed, she just thought it would be funny to see if she could get him to do it without using her powers.

She knew she could.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

Most importantly, it's not exactly the sort of epic pwn that the writing seems to think it is, considering that a bunch of people in that room don't have special mutant call signs anyway. Xavier? Brand? Voght? Emma and Shaw? White Queen and Black King are job titles, not personal monikers.

I think it's really much more about the way that Cortez justified it that became the problematic part. Like, Brand would probably just shrug and not care about the why.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

radlum posted:

Hellions was great as usual; Zeb Wells is doing wonders with Sinister and Kwannon.

Marauders was great as well; good sendoff to Storm and overall a nice reminder of how much superhero stuff the mutants are still doing. I dislike the takes of "the X-Men are no longer heroes", when they are going around the world helping mutants.

I still can't believe we have monthly books where Greycrow and Pyro are not only heroes, but pretty good characters as well.

I don't think they've ever said that the mutants of Krakoa aren't or can't be heroes. It's more that there were explicit rulings at the beginning of the Krakoa era that there would be no official team called the X-Men. Scott and Jean overruled the Quiet Council on that at the end of X of Swords.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

JordanKai posted:

Has anyone else read the new Cable? I'm kind of bummed out that the very first issue is tied into a crossover event, but I still liked it. I think the idea of having a trucker tattoo serve as an AI assistant is really inspired. And the story being about history's biggest :blastu: to kill Dormammu with owns as well. I'm a little mixed on the character art, but all the space ships and robots looked incredible.

Cable saluting Rocket for being the best god damned tactical genius of all time is really all I need in a comic book, frankly. And being excited because he knows he's participating in one of his greatest moments ever? Wonderful.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Also, can we agree that this was the Nightcrawler look we've all been waiting for? Because my man is looking dope af.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Guys, they're kaiju! Even if they don't get explained, who cares? We got to see Giant Wasp and Giant Synch punching kaiju in the face! Comics!

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Maybe we can see what Vance thinks of Krakoa since that's another well-known mutant from the 90s that we haven't seen in a while.

Too bad they basically just made Vance into a cop, always on the side of the government. #JusticeForJustice

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Just coming in here to say that I've really loved Krakoa-era Scott.

https://imgur.com/a/21llutv

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

You forgot the most important one:

But otherwise, yes, agreed on all other picks.

Agh! How did I miss cheeseteak Scott?!?!

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mystique could do pretty well by being a remarkable 'master of disguise' and manipulating people. mystique-style detective work wouldn't be terribly different from espionage, and she's certainly done that enough. you can simply say that doyle borrowed a couple of elements but then added a bunch of other character traits that he thought were cool.

it makes more sense than ben grimm being literally, canonically blackbeard the pirate.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

Does nightcrawler have his beard and outfit from the end of way of X? I haven't caught up in a while.

For those who missed Nightcrawler's amazing new design:

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Duggan is crushing it on X-Men for sure. This week's issue had great moments for so many of the characters.

And that last page. Hooboy.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hope borrows other mutant's powers and she gets called the savior of mutantkind, with several crossovers revolving around her, and a seat on the coucnil

Everett borrows other mutants powers and he gets to die, for about 20 years, and then after coming back has a primarily off-screen romance that he then gets unceremoniously de-synchronized (irony) from

Yeah, but Synch was my favorite Generation X team member, and now he gets to be one of my favorite X-Men team members.

To be fair, though, with this writing, the current team is pretty much all my favorite X-Men team members. They're all great!

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Re: Roberto

I think the whole point is that Roberto makes it so that her powers CAN'T activate. She says she thinks Tarn is going to win. He agrees and makes it a bet. If she accepts the bet, Magneto wins. If she doesn't accept the bet, there's no competition so her powers don't go.

That being said, between this and the subsequent fight, I think I shoulted out HOLY poo poo like 4 times in the span of three pages.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Red was great this week. A whole issue of nothing but talking, and it was great.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

danbanana posted:

That, Moira X, and the Davos issue are probably my favorites of the entire Krakoa era.

Davos is the only single issue I've bought for myself in ages because it’s so loving great. All five of the mutants have at least one completely banger line each. One of the greatest talky issues.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

I couldn't help it, I did jazz hands when he said "Oh, my stars and garters."

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Rick posted:

Reading Sins of Sinister it feels like it would have been nice if they would have had a little more time to breathe post AvXvE. It doesn't necessarily feel like a sudden switch or anything since honestly they had been doing more to set this event up than Judgement Day in the months prior but I could have used just a few more Krakoa slice of lifes. I guess there will be some between this event ending and Fall.

I feel like this has been just about everything since Inferno. The X-Office wanted more time in Krakoa, and we got two years after Inferno, but the pace has been blistering, especially as it feels like editorial decided time was up. Things that would have had room to breathe in the first couple years of Krakoa are just getting short series and dumped as quickly as possible as they prepare for whatever is next. It's only been six months since the last Hellfire Gala, and the status quo that came from that definitely needed more time to cook in my opinion.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Thank you to whoever here mentioned that X-Men Unlimited had a lot of the "missing" resistance stuff. Given Firestar's prominence as the insider, it feels a bit weird to have her stuff happen in a space that many people won't see. As somebody who was in middle school in the early 90s, that somebody remembered that Vance Astrovik is a mutant and doesn't have to be a cop feels nigh-on miraculous to me.

Also, the more recent issues have a lot of Externals action, since that's also come up recently!

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I hope I don’t sound like a moron but can anyone give me some evidence of Magneto’s hand to hand combatant experience. I’ve been reading comics for thirty years and can’t even think of a single panel showing Magneto throwing a punch.

I just want to see Erik punch somebody.

Like a Nazi.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

danbanana posted:

And here, on paper, they're saying they didn't even need to have the twist! They could have Scott just gently caress poo poo up and walk out!

To be fair, this was quite literally in the text of issue 1.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

RotPoX has the distinction of pulling off the single most compelling overarching plotline I've seen in comics in a long long time...that unfortunately seems keen on spotlighting 4 out of 5 characters I'm mostly pretty impartial about, with a story that has pretty much just been going "Hey let's try this thing for an issue...welp no that didn't work, now we gotta do something else" for three whole issues. Really interesting stuff with the Dominions timeline shenanigans, though. I enjoy the juxtaposition of the Dominions as the ultimate AI gods in a way that parallels the Phoenix as the ultimate representation of mutant ascendancy, if not organic ascendancy altogether.

Xavier "killing" Rachel is definitely just part of the plan to express airmail her to the White Hot Room, but I also choose to view it as a tragic case of m|m on w|w hostility. Mostly 'cuz it's funnier.

This X-Force plot started off pretty well and then got so rushed at the end that it made my head spin. We get one page to wrap everything up, a single panel mentioning offhandedly that 80s Beast went to live offscreen with his ex and that's that, and then one final shot of everyone going "We sure were the best, weren't we? X-Force! The most awesome team ever!" the end. I can't understand it. It's like Percy expected this book to go one for another issue at the very least.

To me it felt like he thought he was going to get an oversized issue (50! Last issue!) and then the suits were like lol nope.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Fivemarks posted:

Cyclops
Jean
Madelyne
Emma
Havoc
Wolverine

Not a good team, but oh man the orgies.

Fixed it for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Spacebump posted:

Anyone else get the FCBD Blood Hunt/X-Men issue to see a preview of the new X era? I enjoyed it but suspect not everyone in this thread will. Grim start, the mansion being a prison was not what I expected. Wonder who else is stuck there beyond Siryn. The scene with Jubilee at the diner was great. Excited to see the relaunch now.

We also saw Blob. Justice for Fred!