Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Excalibur didn't really catch me. I'll give it another issue or two, but pacing seemed really off and the cast just isn't one I'm digging much. And yeah, I'm not super into magic X-Men. But I've liked Howard's other stuff, so she might just need to get in the flow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He was introduced in X-Men: Extermination, then was a main character in X-Force.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really, really enjoyed New Mutants. Hickman seems to have the heart of the team down already, and the art was beautiful. I wasn't as fond of X-Force, but I'll give it another issue, at least. I liked it better than Excalibur, if nothing else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

Is it just me, or does Fallen Angels feel like one of David Mack's Kabuki comics?

I've never read Kabuki, but it felt to me like an early Marvel Knights book. I'm kinda down with it, actually, but I can certainly see the distaste. I thought it was better than X-Force, at least.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marauders was great, and I enjoyed drunken Kate! Excalibur I'm done with. It's seriously probably the characters I'm least interested in among all X-Men, and it's not grabbing me at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Do you think the real world reason Iceman refrained from getting tattoos since artists would go crazy drawing backwards tattoos when he's in ice form?

I was also a little annoyed that the tattoo artists were cool with Kate sitting there drinking while getting tattooed. Everywhere I've gotten work done makes you sign that you haven't drank in eight hours and they usually caution about drinking for a bit afterward. Pretty sketchy that this place was cool with it. Hope they got their hep shots. :ohdear:

And god, next week Fallen Angels, New Mutants, and X-Force are all out.

Codependent Poster posted:

Why is she a drunk now?
Honestly, that every X-Man isn't a drunk or drug addict based on the horrible trauma they're constantly dealing with is a damned miracle. But at least in this case, she was dealing with finding out Xavier was murdered, plus she has the issue with being unable to enter paradise. Also paradise isn't actually paradise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Presumably she only phases her clothes with her because she makes a conscious effort to bring them, just like she does when she brings another person or whatever she's carrying with her.
Nah, that's unstable molecules.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

We've seen her do it with regular clothes often I'm pretty sure.
She can phase pretty much anything she's in contact with, so regular clothes aren't a problem.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's an awful way to collect those.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fallen Angels, X-Force, New Mutants

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1199500649752399872?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I liked X-Force #2 way more than #1, but Fallen Angels is off my but list going forward. I'm sure my love of Quire helped, but still. New Mutants continues to be fantastic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's literally a thread in this very forum that lists every release every week.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not going to say you are wrong about it being disjointed - it is - but that's how Hickman's stuff often works. He'll tell a bunch of one-issue stories that don't really connect in any meaningful way as they're coming out, but they ultimately do affect the longer-term narrative he's putting together.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think they've stopped using that since none of the X-Men are old enough to be in Generation X at this point, never mind the ones that are two or three "generations" younger (depending on if you count the Giant-Size team as a new one) than the original ones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Beerdeer posted:

When I hit 34 and was therefore older than Bruce Wayne.... well that was a hard day

Did you consider writing a series where Bruce Wayne is middle aged?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm shocked to discover BrianWilly doesn't like something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Archyduchess posted:

What on earth? This seems bananas, especially given how broad a quality gap there is between the best of the bunch and the worst of the bunch. And these volumes are $24-$18 each? Who in their right mind is going to pay $115 to read the first arc of Maurauders if they don't give a poo poo about X-Force or Fallen Angels or whatever?

Yeah, it's really, really dumb.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It's Synch and Darwin.

Have we seen Synch yet in Dawn of X? Curious if he's got the version of his powers where he gets to keep them now. Even if not, having him with Darwin and Laura at the same time makes him essentially invincible.

Synch was mentioned as being a replacement for one of the Five should it be necessary, but not shown.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, he's a super-evolved super-sentinel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hickman and Davis doing Nightcrawler is an instant buy for me hot drat

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Johnny Storm and Peter Parker should be the same age, Cyclops should be like a year older, the rest of the O5 should be the same age as Cyclops or slightly younger, of course with the current resurrection protocol physically most of the X-Men are probably in their mid to late twenties, outside the X-Men,
Beast was the oldest of the O5 by at least a couple years, with Iceman being the youngest. They're all supposed to be within roughly the same age range though, yeah.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Small detail I liked: Synch's costume being an homage to Generation X uniforms with the red coloring and, yellow knee-high boots, and X logo on the wrist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unless FA is set way in the future I just don’t see this (yet). The team going MIA in the vault would make a good candidate for the questions of “we don’t know if they’ll ever make it back or if they’re dead, should we bring them back?” and “IF we bring them back and the originals return, what do we do?” Which given the resurrection protocol, I expect Hickman to explore in some capacity.
Exploring the resurrection stuff is going to be the underlying plot of X-Factor, so expect it there, if anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Wow, Reed, what the gently caress.

Professor Impossible isn't a parody of Mr Fantastic, he's just Mr Fantastic. No wonder The Richard's kids wanted to leave them, and Ben not having any of that poo poo either. Though Kate being in this kind of messes up the ending of Marauders, as we still don't don't what happened to her after she went into the drink.

Spoilers: it's a comic book and she will survive/be resurrected and timelines don't always match up exactly with other comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Spoilers: it's a comic book and she will survive/be resurrected and timelines don't always match up exactly with other comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Diamond website has everything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She's got a CS degree, I think.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Going back here, this at least *kinda* address the F4 living on Krakoa thing if you want it to. (I won't pretend to comprehend Zdarsky's brain or writing.) In any case, the human F4/FF members would basically need to be chaperoned any time they want to come and go, and I wouldn't all be shocked if Krakoa was like "uh, look at those powers NOPE" and just not let them through. This doesn't address letting Franklin come and go as desired, of course, but Reed protecting his family by being an as and Sue not wanting her son joining a weird cult isn't particularly out of character for either.

None of which is to say they couldn't have slightly tighter editorial control here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/annalisebissa/status/1233130276668264448?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I think you're forgetting about hanging out with a certain gentleman by the name of Remy LeBeau.

And her powers were very wonky until the X-Tinction Agenda when she got turned into a Mutate and then restored when she was turned back.

My favorite part of this is before they get abducted, deaged Storm and Jean are hanging out and say "I'm glad you're not dead!" to each other totally casually since that's just how things are for X-Men.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

Why does Apocalypse have a sword in X-Men #7? It's been getting rave reviews and got me curious

To sword fight with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So digitally, I should just read House of X, then...?

House of X and Powers of X should be read alternating (roughly - start with HoX and there's a read order in each issue). Then X-Men/Marauders/New Mutants/Excalibur/X-Force/Fallen Angels all start. Read whichever interests you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You ain't got a choice if you want to read new releases.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saying Krakoans are racist against humans is to ignore that they've spent the last however many years being oppressed by humans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rochallor posted:

Leah Williams said on twitter I think that she planned on addressing what happens when a trans mutant wants to be resurrected in a body matching the gender they identify as, which is a wonderful way to tie the fantastical elements of Krakoa back into more explicitly real-world elements.

Shame that comics are canceled, huh

FWIW Marvel hasn't officially cancelled comics yet, and their most recent public(ish) statement was to freelancers telling them it was business as usual.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That one Youngblood relaunch drawn by Liefeld where the writer was very clearly making fun of Liefeld was at least funny for the one(?) issue it ran for. Though I think that was the one that had Wolverine and Cyclops gay jokes so maybe not.

And maybe there was another one that seemed promising and also died early? I can't remember. Don't bother with Youngblood.

What was that Ultraverse dude who was a knockoff of Captain Marvel except he had to like rip himself out of the body? Prime! I had to look that up. Anyway, bring back Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Even Vulcan is cool now.

Let's not go too far