Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

x-menf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

X-Force felt like the same kind of wheels-spinning mutant hating story that made the X-series feel so tired for so long before this

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

does Magik still have the problem where if she teleports a certain distance she might also teleport through time

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

looking forward to the x-men book where they freak out an alien culture by kissing and singing pop songs

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

is there anything about the resurrection process that precludes bringing back a non-mutant

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

ok after having read Marauders has there been a single instance within the new status quo that a writer has used death in an interesting way

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

couldn't a telepath peacefully cut their brains off or something

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the problem with ff/x-men is the same problem that’s existed forever in that the antagonism between mutants and non-mutant super heroes doesn’t make much sense? i think claremont tried to address this somewhat in the 80s, with government entities grouping mutants and super heroes as an existential threat and showing a future where mutants are hunted and put into camps also involved the eradication of the non-mutant heroes as well.

i don’t think that idea ever really went anywhere though, so i always wonder if mutants would work better in their own separate, contained universe. like hey, has anyone ever told Reed that they’ve seen a future where sentinels vaporize franklin, but not before vaporizing the FF and all their super friends first?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no, i'm saying that forge zapped her powers away, then zapped them back, and then she quickly lost them again when nanny de-aged her. i forgot the details of how she got re-aged in the end, though.

x-tinction agenda is when she got reaged, somehow the genetic tinkering they did make her older again

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I enjoyed X-Factor a lot more when Walt Simonson started doing the pencils

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

what have most of the OG Hellions been up to since New Mutants anyway? it didn’t seem like they all liked each other all that much and it’s weird they’re still wearing those old rear end pink school uniforms

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the bird boy arc that blevins started on looks kinda rough but after that i love him, especially the inferno stuff. lot of great inanimate objects brought to life by demonic forces in those issues

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

hellions will be good if every story involves empath getting murdered by one of his teammates

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

marauders sure was underwhelming. i was expecting a more interesting wrinkle to how kate would come back, or why she wasn't going to, but instead it's just a character spending five seconds thinking about a thing to come to a solution

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sounds like it's so Emma can access whatever money is tied up in the US through Tony and Tony gets a new suit made of special mutant metal

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

site posted:

I gotta say I've been doing my own read through from hox/pox on and x of swords is so bad it totally killed my desire to read comics for like a whole week. Ben Percy is so lucky he was giving the okay to just ignore it in his books completely

i fell off the krakoa era in the middle of x of swords. are there any must reads between then and now? i have kept up with some stuff like way of x and x-men red, but it feels like there's been around 50 different series launched and ended since then

i think my main issue with this era has been that they set up this new status quo and rather than digging into the ramifications or exploring what this new world could be like, they just kept pilling more and more big concepts. it's like they've been trying to stuff sixty years of x-men complexity into four years of comics.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

is there a reason why Arrakko is depicted as a space planet with lots of different aliens living (or at least selling stuff there) but Earth is still pretty much Earth?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i know that but there's also skrull and shi'ar hanging around and all the buildings look like anything you'd see in a gotg book. i wanna know about the firm that sells prefab space buildings all over the universe but won't touch earth with a very large pole

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Would a planet of survival of the fittest mutants be much chiller though

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

that New X-Men series they teased for next year is using the same original X-Men logo as this one shot so I bet whoever sticks around ends up leading a younger leaning X-Men group that includes Kamala. so yeah probably Cyclops or Jean

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sephyr posted:

I stopped reading X-men (and most comics) in the freaking mid-90s. Sort of absorbed what was going on through friends still on the grind and felt that justified my decision.

Some years back i picked up a book and apparently Cyclops was the radical mutant Che Guevara and wolverine was the cool head trying to hold things together. Seemed interesting, but didn't lure me back.

Then I watched the Comicpop piece on X of Swords and it finally hooked me into asking my friend to loan me some of the current arc.

And poo poo, it's probably the best X-men stuff i read in my whole life. Maybe it's middle-age goggles just messing with my brain, but for once i really like the stakes, the character beats, the art and the ambition of the storyline.

The scary question now is...what -else- did I miss?

aaron's wolverine and the x-men was a fun run from what i recall, he and kitty rebuild the school and there's a good mix of newer and older characters

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

people don't notice political allusions because they're children and then they grow up and notice them and think it's a new occurrence and also these people are stupid and why even give them the time of day

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I wish they were doing more with orchis having some legitimacy with all the obvious flaws krokoa has but they mostly seem to just be written as stereotypical right wingers as a supervillain group

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

are the exceptional x-men new characters aside from emma and kitty

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i had mixed feelings about krakoa but i would hope the follow up at least deals with whatever emotional fall out comes after. kitty pryde trying to become a barista probably isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

it would have been a good time for her to start going by kate when she became headmaster, when she became a pirate maybe less so