Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Still having a sensible chuckle at the fact that the only election strategy the Lib Dems have left is to essentially try to trick people into voting for them with bogus tactical voting arguments and guides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think the lib dem leadership has simply bought their own bullshit about them somehow becoming a major party again and this is gonna bite them hard as the accusations of hypocrisy and vote splitting start getting traction.

Julio Cruz posted:

my cat is 100% unbothered by the fireworks when he's indoors but he keeps wanting to go outside then thinking better of it when he's actually presented with the opportunity and it's a lot louder and closer

So in other words your cat is a cat?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

So this is the first election I've been fully politically engaged for. Is this number of MPs stepping down normal or is this an exceptionally high number?

Haven't checked the exact numbers, but it definitely feels like it's exceptionally high. Maybe that's just because some relatively big names are retiring, though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

We just going to ignore suspicious irregularities of the election? That he ignored the referendum result on extending maximum term and just ran anyway? That when he was behind in the polls he paused the election to allow himself time to recover?
The guys done a lot of wonderful things for his country but he's looking more and more like a dictator trying to hold onto power and for Corbyn to tweet in his defence like that during a general election make me think hes a moron.

None of this is actually true, but don't let that stand in the way of both sidesing a democratically elected leftist and the rightwing junta that deposed him and are now actively trying to purge the left in Bolivia by way of street violence and show trials.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking that Farage pulling this stunt is probably going to backfire. Whoever was going to vote for the Brexitters probably used to vote Tory anyway, and now it looks like Farage & co are just a Tory subsidiary.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

This is going to backfire so hard lol. loving lib dem fightback against anything even resembling competence right here.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

loving hell

Why won't people save themselves

Why would you trust the pollsters to get that question right when they constantly gently caress up on every other one?

Re. Nationalism-chat, I've always held the opinion that nationalism can be a good servant to a greater cause under some circumstances, e.g. if you need to do a Great Patriotic War or a national liberation struggle or something along those lines, but only as long as it stays a servant. Because as history shows, nationalism is a really loving bad master.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nationalist party leader agitating for nationalist referendum

More like nationalist party leader undermining the only party who could possibly grant that referendum for short-term political advantage.

Re. Tankie- and Hungary-chat, I think that in the specific case of Hungary '56 we need to keep a bit of context in mind, which is that Hungary enthusiastically participated in a literal war of extermination against the USSR just a little more than a decade before the uprising. And imo if you try to genocide someone and your intended victims end up kicking your rear end, they do have a pretty strong justification for taking all the necessary actions to ensure that you'll never be in a position to have another go at them. So I'm not super sure if I actually can fault the Soviets for that one. Like, if we were to be consistent here, then should we also condemn the allies for occupying Germany after the war? Nobody seems to be called a tankie for supporting that.

Now if you supported sending the tanks into Czechoslovakia though, then yeah you're a tankie.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Though I gotta say it's very impressive how quickly and how badly Swinson and the rest of Lib Dem high command have sunk their own ship. That takes some commitment.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Why on earth is Kuenssberg retweeting this without any comment whatsoever? The Tories should be getting absolutely loving skewered on this poo poo - 9 years in charge, they have literally nowhere to hide and no excuses to make, but she just retweets this as it is.

Because she's a Tory propagandist?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yeah because there's plenty of time to call a new GE before the Jan 31 deadline, great thinking here.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

lol you think she cares about stopping brexit

No, but it's an extremely good and easy thing to call her out on because the Lib Dem voters actually care about stopping Brexit. Basically Jo seems to be real good at handing out ways to peel away her own voter base, probably because she's an incompetent idiot.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It should also be really easy to just relentlessly mock a political stance that basically amounts to "let's have a do-over until I get the result I want", come to think of it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paul.Power posted:

Godwin's Law and all, but Hitler literally did this.

Yeah, but Hitler actually was pretty good at the whole seizing power for yourself part of politics, whereas Jo Swinson is Jo Swinson.

Tesseraction posted:

JoJo's Endless Voteventure: Diamond is Pissable

What would Jo Swinson's Stand name be? I'm thinking Judas be my Guide.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Nothing because she doesn't stand for anything.

I'll have you know that Jo Swinson has very strong and consistent beliefs, e.g. that the paups should be flogged only twice a week whereas the Tories wanted it to be three times.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Failsons gonna failson.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

Disappointed to hear Count Binface is a WWE fan, I don't trust him on worker's rights with this new information.

Also shows that he's got poo poo taste. Real dealbreaker imo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

OK, somebody needs to be the thread Engels and fund the purchase of this here thing.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

is there any legitimate argument for not ripping this poo poo off literally every residential building tomorrow?

like, what are the practical consequences other than it looking uglier? I guess it might be bad for thermal efficiency (the heating kind, not the going up like a Roman candle kind)

not that that would justify leaving them as deathtraps, obviously, but just is there even half a reason not to do it other than cost/aesthetics?

You see the landlord might make a smaller profit then and we can't have that now can we?
:torysay:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Still super funny that the only strategy left to the lib dems is literally attempting to trick people into voting for them.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

justcola posted:

I wonder sometimes, what's in it for all these journalists and those connected to continue outright lying about Boris Johnson for the sake of another tory government? Surely some must have some kind of dignity to actually report something like the truth rather than just what editors say? I've worked for some dubious companies but I've always tried to do the right thing, even if that means phone calls out of hours telling someone what they actually need to do to do x and then circumnavigating the panopticon of my managers. I can understand the pressure involved to a certain extent, but do these hundreds of people who got into journalism for some (potentially) ideological reason just not give a gently caress anymore or are they that thick they'll just choke on whatever swill poured into their maws and repeat it at the earliest opportunity?

I feel similar about anyone involved in any position of power; there must have been some kernel of wanting to do the right thing and it just being stamped out - though there must be moments, like this, where there is the chance for something better, and instead it just accelerates the bollocks rather than being an alarm. Fuckwits.

Looking forward to the debate tomorrow anyway. Big bag of crisps.

It's very simple. If Corbyn wins then it's undeniable proof that these fuckers have been wrong all along, and they definitely can't accept that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I wonder whether they realise they're overcooking this? The 'Corbyn is antisemitic' smear stuck harder than other attempts, and having that just bubbling under the surface did an effective job of undermining his anti-racist credentials (however much it was bullshit). Now they're yelling 'ANTISEMITISM!!!' at every tiny innocuous thing he does to the point of parody, making constant insane reaches, reading meaning into the number of loving buttons he has done up on his shirt to convince themselves he's sending subtle hostile messages to jews, just having the most wilfully dumb takes if it gives them an excuse to point the finger at him. Surely this must now be getting to the point where your average guy on the street has stopped reacting 'oh yes antisemitism is bad, you say he is? That's not good...' in favour of 'what the actual gently caress are you talking about, you weirdo', because the takes are just completely unbelievable now

Yeah, they're overreaching hard and it just looks mental at this point.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

winegums posted:

https://twitter.com/NParticipacion/status/1197277236090589184

I know rileyposting frowned upon like tweetman posting, but the sheer lack of optics on this tshirt are just staggering

Brave of her to wear an unironically pro-Apartheid shirt.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

Lib Dem press office do know they're supposed to increase their number of voters, right?

https://twitter.com/inknook/status/1197470778985459712

"Corbyn is unrealistic" says minor party that unironically tried to argue that they could win a majority this election.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

wrestling isn't real, and it's also incredibly poo poo

Look at this bad opinion right here.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The 2014 Royal Rumble gave me every reason to never watch wrestling again, on account of the lovely behaviour of the fans towards Daniel Bryan not turning up because he was injured

Maybe you shouldn't exclusively watch a product created by and for a racist senile old gently caress? And maybe you shouldn't judge en entire medium based on that single product?

nah, because I see some wrestling poo poo come across my timeline in tyool 2019 and I look at it and it looks dumb, like properly dumb. Like, I cannot believe this video clip has come with that caption because the two are completely incompatible. And I mean the dumbest, most contrived bullshit I have ever seen. It's embarrassing to watch

ok boomer

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Antisemitism within the Labour Party decreases from 2015-2019, from levels already lower than the Tories, Lib Dems, or general UK pop.

"Ah yes, this new poison sanctioned from the top has taken root in the Labour Party."

:psyboom:

What the gently caress are these people doing? Are they literally trying to discredit legit opposition to antisemitism?

"There are still antisemitism cases in the Labour Party, and the response has not been adequate in our view." would be fine for a Labour specific report, but weird in a general statement without reporting the Tory Holocaust deniers, but what the balls is that poo poo?

They're Tories so they know that they'll be protected personally from any consequences, and hence in usual Tory fashion they don't give a poo poo about what effects their lies have on the proles.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The lies aren't going to matter at this point because this poo poo's been going on for years and opinions are locked in already.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

RockyB posted:

Caption competition yesterday was funny so let's have another one

"Mirror mirror on the wall, who hates squirrels most of all?"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm choosing to look on the bright side. They're going hard on this antisemitism thing now because it's all that's ever really successfully stuck (despite it being garbage) and they're loving rattled. They know Corbyn could win this. They're not stupid. For all their carefully considered mockery they remember 2017. They know the polls aren't necessarily reliable. They can see the registration statistics. They probably have internal polling confirming that it's far closer than they're comfortable with. So this is it. This is their last roll of the dice, their last stand. They know that if they lose this battle, they lose the war, and beneath all the bluster they're bricking it. This is them throwing absolutely everything they have at us. And you know what, it's stressful and it's tiring but if this is their best shot? Maybe there's reason to be cheerful after all.

It's their best shot and it's the only shot they have left, so they have to go all in now because when Labour wins and nothing happens to Jewish people they'll have nothing left.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Good to get confirmation that Jezza is gonna win in a landslide.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You all know what happens when a campaign comes off the rails? That's right:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I's say that Louise Mensch has finally lost her marbles, but that happened a long time ago.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Literally basing it on people loving gambling lmao forever.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

wocobob posted:

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1199749058132402177?s=21

Here’s Owen Jones’ take on it, which seems a little worrying

Owen's a good lad, but he's actually pretty bad at reading where the political winds are blowing so I wouldn't put too much stock into this.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Always remember that even if people tell you that they won't vote Labour you might still make an impression and they'll change their minds once the campaign rolls on.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The real eating rear end is the friends we made along the way.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
They're clearly seeing where the wind is blowing and releasing the final result now to shape the narrative while it's still looking good for the Tories.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

its genuinely weird they'd release it this early

Always remember that the point of public polling is to influence public opinion, not to measure it. They're just trying to demoralize Labour voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Maybe when you see a projection that contains multiple extremely improbable swings it's smarter to conclude that the polling is garbage rather than just blindly trust in the proclamations of modern day entrail readers?