Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

gh0stpinballa posted:

i will never stop finding it weird that this thread is in D&D and not c-spam given how far left you all are lol

The thread is mostly social democrats, except for a guy who got so over-eager about chasing out a communist that he accidentally did holocaust denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Filboid Studge posted:

bear in mind that HL is a tankie

"tankie" here used to mean "person who says factual things"

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

guy with the archer avatar said that that it was the soviets and not the nazis who gassed people in the back of vans

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

No, tankie here refers to your Hoxha-esque zeal against revisionism and your history of defending Stalin.

So person who says factual things. got it

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Braggart posted:

HorseLord is well placed to comment on the thread because he keeps getting chased out of it for being a oval office. His vague accusations are entirely credible.

You do know that communists do the chasing in this thread, right?

I've never been chased out of UKMT, and in fact i don't know who you are

if you've got archives you can look back through my post history and find the entire conversation i was alluding to if you want. said holocaust denier justified himself as "challenging tankies on their bullshit", which, you know, is a hell of an excuse for insisting the nazis didn't gas people in vans

does tintower still post in here? i know a lot of mileage was gotten out of that coconut thing

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
no i haven't. is this some sort of ploy to get me to post here regularly again?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

i thought this thing was called archwood for like ten years

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

I do, but they take up a bunch of full 13A sockets on the lead, a bunch of little shaver sockets between the big ones would be much more convenient. I guess I could plug power cubes into power strips ad inferos, but it just seems like something that should exist but doesn't.

The rationale is that most normal functioning countries don't use ring mains, every couple of sockets is a radial with its own breaker, so the plugs themselves don't have to have fuses, so they can be smaller and you can say "hey, you can plug both the small two pin double insulated things and the big three pin grounded things into this universal socket.

Also other countries believe that RCDs/GFIs are real things that work so you can have a proper socket in the bathroom and still have your two pin electric toothbrush, whereas the UK went instead with shaver sockets that don't have RCDs and yet can still deliver enough current to kill you but you can't plug anything useful into them.

Fucken l-o-l.

European wiring standards are completely poo poo. The only rooms in the house that have to have an earth are the kitchen and bathroom, but it doesn't matter because the plugs can go in upside down and reverse live and neutral anyway. Lighting and sockets in a room are on the same radial. The sockets themselves take up the same amount of room but are more difficult to wire because they're made up of more parts, which are also somewhat fragile, so half of them get bent inside and you have to slam plugs into them with your palm or sometimes a hammer. You can't hammer the little two pin ones, so if the socket is like this you just have to go find another place to plug it in.

They also had the genius idea that every socket on an extension lead should be at 45 degree angles, and where the wire comes out of a plug is 50/50 the top or the side. So if you've got to plug in a computer and a lamp and something that uses a wall wart you have to spend ages figuring out the correct order and position to plug them in. It's a really really boring and annoying version of the cube that makes the hellraiser guy show up.

Also for some reason they think it's acceptable to backfeed power from a solar panel into the wall sockets.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

And yet they still haven't managed to stumble on the brain genius scheme that you can have wiring where one of the neutrals falls out and the whole thing keeps going as normal, untestable from the socket, but with 30A going over a 20A rated cable.

(This was the case with my ring main, the first socket from the consumer unit only had one neutral attached, I had no idea until I redid some of the wiring and had it off the wall.)

Europlugs have their faults, the new Type N plugs being introduced into Brazil and South Africa are better than both Europlugs and UKplugs, but anything that cares that you're reversing live and neutral should have three pins in a configuration with no rotational symmetry, and anything that doesn't doesn't matter, and the ring main system is just an overly elaborate joke.

Is there anything I can look at on Type N? Just from a photo it looks to have the same bendy pin troubles as european stuff. In general I'll say that UK spec stuff wired up radially (like in a new build) is massively better and safer than any of the horrors I've found in europe. I mean seriously, they put power into the house by plugging the solar panels into a normal wall socket. It's a loving nightmare place when you have to do DIY.

They also like using what's basically garden hosepipe for permanent indoor plumbing.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

He was scheduled for interviews, he wasn't a presenter, but yeah he shouldn't have done it.

Don't see why he shouldn't.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Eschenique posted:

Because the Iranian regime is atrocious and appearing on their official state TV while accepting their money is tantamount to support?

Why do you think so? Seems like a big double standard, everyone else shows up on the British regime's state TV and nobody criticizes them for it.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I mean either you explode or you stay warm, both seem pretty cool tbh.

It's not an "either". exploding is just getting warm very fast.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Mega Comrade posted:

We just going to ignore suspicious irregularities of the election? That he ignored the referendum result on extending maximum term and just ran anyway? That when he was behind in the polls he paused the election to allow himself time to recover?
The guys done a lot of wonderful things for his country but he's looking more and more like a dictator trying to hold onto power and for Corbyn to tweet in his defence like that during a general election make me think hes a moron.

Tesseraction posted:

This is why I have kinda held off complaining about Morales, but I do also suspect there is something untoward in the way he stepped down - and how many times off the top of your head has "the military has taken over <country>" gone well in modern history?

The election watchdog goes "there's irregularities, we don't have evidence yet but totally trust us", Morales goes "alright then if there's a problem we'll have another election", but that's not good enough. The military launches a coup where they plan to loving kidnap relatives of officials until Morales explicitly says "i will resign because the military is loving kidnapping relatives of officials and I'm scared for their safety, this is a coup".

It works, he does that, and the sensible british left only have to say "oh he was a wonderful leader who was brilliant but he must be a dictator because [behavior that is normal in a western country]. Anyone who stands up for him is a moron, yay CIA" and "I suspect there is something untoward about a loving military coup".

Try not being so wet for once in your life.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Oh I completely agree. But when your opponents are already making accusations you want to be the British Stalin, speaking up in defence of a current leader who was making all the stereotypical dictator power moves seems to me like a dumb decision.

They made Ed Milliband out to be the British Stalin.

If this teaches you anything it's that if they're going to call you Stalin no matter what you do, then you have no reason to compromise. You can just be Stalin if you want to, it won't make a difference to your reputation.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Sometimes its not possible to put out a fire, you just have try to control it and wait for it to burn itself out. You generally don't want to pour petrol on it though.

Yeah let me check my schedule for a right time to take advice from an apologist for a fascist military coup

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

otoh anyone telling someone that the USSR can't do imperialism while also telling people to read Mao is pretty lol (or lMao)

The PRC's 70s era rambling about "social imperialism" was entirely concocted to justify moving into the American sphere of influence. It doesn't contradict Lenin, rather it makes the unsubstantiated claim that the USSR's relationship with the eastern bloc countries was to economically exploit them (As we all know, they were all basket cases in debt to the west and needed soviet charity to survive). This was padded out a lot by pointing to the USSR's botched simplification of economic planning in the 1960s, and then using it to claim that capitalism had been restored there, which, you know, lol

The real reason they made these claims is that with their separation from the USSR they had no choice but to join the American sphere of influence for foreign investment, and they couldn't justify this as communists unless they suddenly "discovered" that the USSR and not USA was the primary imperialist threat.

Like trotskyism it's made up bullshit for political power plays instead of a scientific appraisal of the situation, and just like Trotskyism lots of stupid people fell for it. It's why you got Maoists who were stupid enough to fight alongside the Taliban against "Soviet imperialism" and then were surprised to find themselves decapitated when they won.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Private Speech posted:

Honestly the Hungarian uprising was the most iffy of the lot, they went about torturing and murdering communists and there was a fair claim to former fascists participating in it.

I just went back a page or two and jesus christ did bowsette avatar really try and equate Hungarian white-nationalists to thirdworld national liberation movements?

There is a meaningful qualitative difference between "we, the people of [colonized country] assert our right to be equal human beings and not slaves" and "death to judeobolshevism, we are the master race".

gently caress the hungarian uprising, it was a pogrom.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

gh0stpinballa posted:

so the thing that people get accused of being tankies for supporting was actually necessary to end a pogrom?

I suppose it was "unnecessary" in the sense that pogroms stop when you run out of Jews to kill. That's not an outcome I find acceptable though.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

feedmegin posted:

You should probably be aware that HorseLord is a known tankie

Like, literally, as in he is posting 'tanks into hungary good'. That's sort of the definition of tankie.

other independent thought suppressing cliches include "only works in theory" and "human nature"

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
I just got a polling card even though I'm a postal voter living abroad. Is that normal?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Britain's one-time lead in home computers - which led to our massive tech sector and particularly video games industry - is almost entirely thanks to massive direct public investment in microcomputer firms by the NEB and a national push for tech literacy among children through the schools system, led by noted pinko <checks notes> Margaret Thatcher.

It's so glaring that the alleged sensible, non-ideological centrists are actually considerably more Tory than loving Thatcher.

Bit mad to credit Thatcher for this. Mostly a BBC project, and when she actually had to acknowledge computers existed so she could brag to the japanese that we also can do a technology, she ignored that project entirely to wave a spectrum around.

They seem to have lost interest in computers all just at the moment ARM showed up, which is the biggest lost opportunity since north sea oil.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

feedmegin posted:

Also, if you can find it, the one-off drama Micro Men the BBC did a decade or so ago is a pro watch. Also features a pre-transition Sophie Wilson who they never actually name, presumably to avoid deadnaming her :shobon:

They address the character as "rodger" a few times, because that's what her name was when it happened.

It's a very good show. Liked who did Sinclair in that, really got across how much of a bellend he must've been to work for. Apparently the phone throwing scene used to really happen (!) nothing like a low stress environment when you're trying to make stereos out of duff parts bought on the cheap.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Nov 15, 2019

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sinclair made calculators and watches on the cheap, it was Alan Sugar who made cheap stereos and completely hosed up Sinclair once he got his spiv hands on it.

No, that's not true. Sinclair made stereos. It was their longest business.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Guess I'm not voting for Labour.

Not because I don't want to, more because I've just been in contact with my council's election office and they've hosed up my application to vote from abroad. They're telling me that merely registering as an overseas voter doesn't mean I get to vote from overseas, and that I should take my polling card (that they sent to my house in holland) and book myself a plane and vote in person.

Their reasoning? That being an overseas voter doesn't mean you're a postal voter, and so won't get sent a voting pack. You have to apply for that separately, according to them, and they say they've already been printed off.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Doccykins posted:

whoever told you that is wrong, the deadline for applying to vote by post is November 26th

https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

Love that to get accurate information I can't trust google or the loving council but some socdem on a dead gay forum

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
By the standards of bourgeois and aristo society, molesting children isn't actually a crime. It's a character building tradition that the lower orders aren't allowed to participate.

Isn't that the point of all of those boarding schools? You send your son there, he gets buggered senseless, and then he becomes prime minister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh. It's more of a population density thing. Low population density means suicides go up, high population density means murders go up. Countries like Finland have a lot of people offing themselves with guns.

It's cool when people "correct" others with something that is wrong. Cool.