Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Maybe health insurance should be ripped out of the hands of employers entirely and they all get told to go gently caress themselves without lube?

Would solve that 50 employee bullshit and subcontractors of subcontractors of contractors not offering actual jobs, just gussied up wage slavery as relates to coverage.

Anyone saying, "But I love my employer insurance don't take it away abloo-bloo" is a short-sited sucker waiting to find out how well that coverage works out the second they get downsized, outsourced, and off-shored with a pink slip or do expensive stuff like actually start to use their coverage. The law doesn't mean poo poo, employers will find an excuse to "let someone go" if their usage of the benefits ups the rates and means a single red cent comes out of management pockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Like they were really citizens of the country to begin with? At the level of billionaire which country you live in depends on your mood and which mansion you want to spend the season in. "leaving" the country is a paperwork protest that nobody else is going to notice because 99.99999% of your assets are already outside the country in tax havens anyway.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Blah, double post.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What was the thought process behind that? Why would he go out in public again like that?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I have been reliably informed via tweet by the man who would at one point become president that you are not supposed to give credit to the president when the military kills a terrorist target. The timing of such a prescient statement is a little weird, but the sentiment is very obvious.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How the gently caress did I get a better education on your history than you

One of the two major parties in America is ideologically committed to the idea that slashing funding for anything that isn't a billionaire paying for their re-election is a universally positive goal in all situations, at all times, with no end ever. That this coincidentally creates a largely uneducated public is a feature, not a bug. Educated people start asking questions and believing things other than propaganda, and that is inconvenient

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

M_Gargantua posted:

If Bezos and Musk tried that again could anyone realistically stop them?

I can also imagine the tech billionaires deciding that they were now the sole oligarchy of most of South America and the rest of the world just shrugging their shoulders.
Sure it's nice to have some small forces that answer directly to you for a few specific purposes but bigger picture, why bother paying to form their own private forces? Outsource that poo poo. Look at the savings they get by buying a few politicians that dictate their policy then letting everyone else in the country pay for the actual system. Privatized gains, socialized costs are the playbook of the last 70-something years of government.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Things that only get enforced on the political opposition so that enforcement can be used to attack them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

orange juche posted:

I am quite well aware as I was born and raised there, and the governor's election was close as gently caress, Georgia is a state that could conceivably go blue as long as people keep on the press. It's gotta start somewhere, that's why get out the vote campaigns exist, and other grassroots efforts to get people who feel disenfranchised out to the polls. As far as compensation for voting, I really unfortunately don't know what to say there, because there unfortunately exists no legislation that requires employers to compensate for voting time other than allowing time off.

If people actually got out and voted instead of saying their vote doesn't count, then the nations electoral map would look way the gently caress different than it does. Republicans in particular prey upon convincing voters that they don't like that their vote doesn't count, and then put out terrible racist poo poo to energize people who they want to flood the polls.

Voter suppression in places like GA does not rely solely on convincing people to not vote. That is absolutely one strategy, and one they use to the hilt, but straight out being unable to vote is not an unheard of fantastic made up situation in these Republican poo poo holes, and that's just the "legal" stuff they do.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Donnie Dumbfuck put his all behind that race with his last minute Nazi MAGA rally. If I had any optimism left in me I'd hope to see his enchantment over the rest of the party break, leaving it obvious to them that the only route to political survival is to throw his dumpy, fascist rear end to the curb.

I'm doubtful of that though. Instead we'll get to hear another verse of the narcissist's prayer.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McNally posted:

I was in the Mississippi Guard.

This is a safe space. Show me on the doll where the Guard touched you.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If we're doing massive upheaval reforms for education in this country could we maybe pull the funding out of every poo poo headed group of local pearl clutchers worried about their property values and being too close to "those" people? At the very god drat least make it state level.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

not caring here posted:

world's foremost experts in his field and has be lauded by everyone in government no matter the political lean.

Oh that's gonna change real quick. Strong Daddy Trump is gonna say person bad, so person bad.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Notahippie posted:

I buy this argument but my reaction has been to stick with Warren because Sander's theory of change requires sustained grassroots effort and if he can't turn that out to actually win the primary then he'll probably fail to execute it as a candidate or president. So I figure that either he turns out people and wins despite me, or I vote for Warren whose insider approach will deliver incremental but not transformational change.

Incremental change is just suicide that takes longer for two reasons. One, we ain't got time for that poo poo with climate change. We go big or billions die. Two, any incremental changes will be thoroughly and absolutely rat-hosed raw dog style by Republicans, their propaganda machine, the judiciary they've captured for the next 30-40 years and the wealthy elite behind most of it.

To be completely fair, any large scale changes will have the same treatment and I don't put forward big changes in an optimistic light in opposition to the above. Even if we go pants-on-head loony bin optimist and say day one of President Bernie's term the country gets Medicare for All signed in to law and some insurance company CEOs get introduced to lamp posts via rope, the same scenario outlined above will take place. All those same forces will do their level best to make sure people suffer and die as much as possible to continue the narrative that government is the problem. The hideous goat rope turnstile that was ACA going back to the courts over every loving comma and letter would be cranked up to 11.

The difference is that inevitable fighting wouldn't be over a half-step in sorta, kinda the right direction with a sloppy blowjob to the monied interests fighting against it anyway. It would be those same forces fighting against a big leap in the right direction that is telling them to get hosed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Buttcoin purse posted:

In February Bill Gates said he should have paid more tax:

At this point I think it'd just be easier if you told us how much you'd like to pay, Bill.

My favorite part is how he's spent years on auto-fellatio because he's "giving away his billions" and he has more money now than when he started doing it.

Almost like capital accrues more capital and distorts society or some crazy poo poo like that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

A lot of stuff like this makes sense when filtered through the lens of a TV camera. Everything about his physical appearance is designed to produce a better look from directly ahead, straight and level. This posture, his hair, his ties, his tailoring, all of it is for the purpose of not making him look like the dumpy, bald, fat gently caress he is when the camera is rolling. Start taking pictures from the side and you see the weirdness.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

sharknado slashfic posted:

Great, every time I see this song mentioned anywhere it gets stuck in my head the rest of the day

If you can find the actual video, it's...interesting and somewhat nsfw

I'll see your NSFW and gets-stuck-in-your-head video and raise you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdabIfmcqSQ

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 9, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Christ, capitalism really will be the death of us. Warren's plans have them that loving scared? History's gonna rhyme and they'll side with fascists again I suppose.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ask them to define the words they're using. Press for an actual definition not an example of a person/group they like to hate, that will be their first response. Dollars to a doughnut the definition in their head is "those bad people that want to take our *FREEDOM*" and they can't give you anything deeper than that. Watching them flail around with definitions and concepts deeper than vomiting a Fox talking point is fun. Useless, because they won't give a gently caress to try listening to and learning about what you're actually saying, but entertaining.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

There have been about 5 full page editorials about it in our news media, no joke

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12283710

NPR's 1A did an entire show about it earlier in the week. There are some seriously butt-hurt people about it. Some of the guest commentary was mind blowingly un-self aware about where this sentiment is coming from.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Uh oh, we've entered an arms race of MAGA hat evolution. Dominance will now be shown by the largest hat. This will go poorly.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pantslesswithwolves posted:

And I maintain that while Hogg is very much a young person who should be allowed some flexibility and understanding in his personal conduct, he is also very much a public figure who is taking a very profound advocacy stance on a major issue, and as such, he’s being held to a higher standard, fairly or otherwise. At the very least, he should have asked himself whether meeting with members of a violent fascist street gang was a good idea or not. it never is

Also, here’s a battle cry for the 21st century... or something.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1193919369153261568?s=20

Did big-brain Donnie forget his Adderal this morning or something?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So two years ago, Jon Oliver did a piece on the coal industry in the US, and had some choice words for notoriously litigant and giant piece of poo poo Bob Murray:

This is also one of the most recent coal company bankruptcies to be filed. Of course it means pensioners and employees will get fist hosed raw and lose everything while capitalist vultures pick the bones clean first, but that's basically what bankruptcy laws are for anymore so welp.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

Gotta say this testimony is pretty great without a dozen idiot congresspeople grandstanding and bickering over the dumbest most irrelevant poo poo imaginable.

I am so, so very happy they went with letting legal counsel do the questioning and told Republicans to go gently caress themselves with circus side-show antics. Not ping-ponging back and forth between 5 minute sound-bite fishing expeditions and Infowars talking point vomit gives me some hope in this process.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

man it must loving suck to hang your rear end out for a year on trying to convince people it's actually the bidens committing your crimes

At this point it's basically a truism, if Republicans are accusing someone of something it's projection top to bottom.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Internet Wizard posted:

They’re official record so he’s prohibited by court order from deleting them :lol:

Yeah he'll get right on that "giving a gently caress about the law" thing any day now. He's still routinely ripping up physical documents from his desk because "gently caress you make me"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

GoGoGadget posted:

And let's see how quickly he gets pardoned and nothing mattering continues

I want to say that president Smoothbrain giving a pardon to him would, finally, be going too far and there would be consequences.

I really, really want to but I feel reality would just be all "loving :lol: on you", dick-slap my optimism, then moon walk out of the room.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

Remember how these idiots wouldn't shut up about "King Obama" a few short years ago?

Their only problem is giving unitary executive power to those kinds of people. If you put that kind of power in the hands of an upstanding citizen and a loyal American then it's really for the best. They'll know how to treat everyone the way they deserve and to really fix the problems with society.

If you'll excuse me I hear there's a snazzy new uniform for the military and some fancy new saluting to learn. But you should get your dog looked at he won't stop barking.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

joat mon posted:

There's a bit of bait and switch going on. A unitary executive within the executive is a good thing and is well established and not controversial. Stated another way, there should not be externally enforced checks and balances within the executive branch.

What Barr is trying to do is to port the idea of the unitary executive outside the executive branch and have the unitary executive control/overpower the other two branches of government, which is absolutely not established and is very controversial. Checks and balances between the three branches of government is one of those foundational to the US idea of government things.

Barr must feel that the country has reached a tipping point of conservative power that it can't return from, to now come out so fully and unabashedly for making the legislature and judiciary subservient to the executive.

But it can't happen here!

Narrator: It happened here.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Meanwhile, 1994 called, they want their candidate AND their drug policy back.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1196412252699664384?s=20

This is what the face of "electability" looks like? I'm supposed to avoid becoming a "radical leftist" by supporting this on the basis that it can win a general election in 2019?

gently caress me running. Can this please be the final landmine he steps on that convinces people we need to actually change poo poo, not try to chase the mythical "moderate Republican" vote with these assholes?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Literally sitting next to people talking poo poo about Vindman while watching testimony is making my head hurt. Nunes telling him "you're under subpoena" as if Republicans have complied with literally any of the subpoenas they've gotten.

Those are invalid, deep state, liberal antifa subpoenas. True patriots get to ignore those.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I listened to this on the ride home. Volker is covering his rear end like a loving champ, he can see that they're on the hunt for a scapegoat and that he'd get thrown to the wolves without a blink.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Who is that? Never heard of him. Did he get our bigly president man coffee or something?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
In related news, Blue Bird Corporation stock is rated as a growth potential after an unexpected order for an entire fleet of busses just came in.

Have a rage induced stroke already you morbidly obese orange skinned poo poo smear. Do one good thing for the country by leaving yourself a broken, pitiable shell of a former man that causes your entire cult of personality to collapse into mockery of your failures.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Best comment on Gym Jordan I read is that he doesn't make legal arguments you understand, he makes propaganda diatribes you feel.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah this makes a shitload of sense that I didn't think about before!

From what I'm seeing, he really, really, really wants people saying he did nothing wrong. He wants zero hedging, just people, on TV, saying he did nothing wrong. That's half of why he's been so pissed at the impeachment inquiry - zero witnesses saying that he did nothing wrong.

Narcissism's a helluva drug. If he had operational brain cells capable of interacting with objective reality he'd be screaming all day long, "Improper but not impeachable." That line basically sells itself. "I'm not a Washington insider, of course I'm going to shake things up and piss people off." And people in the right wing propaganda sphere are so, so desperately trying that narrative even now.

He won't play along though because of the basic assumption that it starts with, that he did something wrong. Anyone that gets too loud with that obvious defense ends up on his narcissistic poo poo-list for not sufficiently slobbing his knob in public.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. How are they so god drat stupid?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

Rudy said that he had insurance for Trump throwing him under the bus, then Rudy's lawyer said he was joking and meant health insurance.

Well, Rudy brought it up again and it sure doesn't sound like he's talking health insurance.

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1198290213547716609?s=19

Hmm, yes, telling a narcissist they can't control you because you'll hurt them back so they should treat you as an equal. What could possibly go wrong with that?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Does replacing RBG give the ghouls behind the GOP any more power to gently caress with the nation than they already have? They've got it 5-4 right now, only benefit I can think of is it meaning they have more of a buffer for the rest of their majority, but they already have the majority they need to be an unelected 20-30 year veto. Watching the loving turtle spin his shell 180 degrees at light speed to say "Oh well it only counts if it's the last year of a Democrat in office, we need to replace RBG right now while Trump is still in office" might at least have the silver lining of increasing support for packing the courts and breaking the majority entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

The Navy secretary just lost a power struggle with Fox & Friends weekend host Pete Hegseth.

Well that's a pretty drat fitting epitaph on our national tombstone. Can we just use that and be done with it?