Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i... i will fort dwarves

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
forgot about that old thread, good read
e:

quote:

I realized why all these dwarves keep drowning. I assign them jobs constructing my glorious new road, and they assign themselves the nearest stone to do the job with. Most of these stones are deep in the flooded fortress, but the dwarves aren't deterred by that. They just dive down through the tunnels, grab a boulder, and then realize they can't get out in time. Most of them don't even stop hauling the huge boulder as they flounder around for air. There's no air down there. classicist just died doing the same thing. He didn't let his inability to swim or his mangled foot deter him. These dwarves are too good for me. Too good for this world. so loyal and hardworking, but so loving dumb
memories :allears:
e:
oh jesus the poet genocide

quote:

It had to be done. The game was approaching unplayable FPS

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 3, 2019

Nosfereefer

big difference from last time is that tantrum spirals are back with vengeance, so should be interesting!

Nosfereefer

the best parts of the last thread was people loving up badly

Nosfereefer

i hope its still possible to steal a necromancer's tome and make copies

Nosfereefer

STRIKE THE EARTH!

Nosfereefer

can't really butcher any civilized species as dwarfs. so elf, goblin and human are off the menu

elves famously don't have these taboos

Nosfereefer

like, seriously, don't deal with elves. they are creepy, moralistic cannibals

e: but farming is ridiculously easy where we can feed like 200 dwarves with a 5x5 farm plot. provided they only eat quarry leaf biscuits tho

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 7, 2019

Nosfereefer

ooooh! we have native gold

i suggest that we just make rock crafts out of them. saves us a bunch of forge time and fuel, and there's probably loads of the stuff further down

also lol @

Nosfereefer

a hat on top of a factory would be awesome, tho

Nosfereefer

is this still going? i can take next year if noone else is up for it yet!

Nosfereefer

chillheads did nothing wrong imho, those rinhos would have done the same to us

Nosfereefer

FreshCutFries posted:

let me know if you want the fort file before the updates, and i'll pm it to you

dont have pm, maybe you can just post it in the thread?

Nosfereefer

good progress on the fort! im pretty sure there's an easier way to keep the cook from frying all our mushrooms, but tbqh i like your method better

Nosfereefer

FreshCutFries posted:

i THINK the only thing you need is the region folder for these things. someone with better memory than me from last time remind me if i'm wrong.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=114GuSmOpHym8G9od9nQpoBet_4Ggr91J

nosfereefer is up next and i'm excited to see where they take things! i'm also going to throw my name in the dwarf list now that my turn is done. i was going to hold off on the players, but it might be a long wait for some, so i'm going to toss all the players in the list as well.

oh yeah! there's a to be dwarfed list in my op! i'll do my best to keep it up to date so that info can be consolidated there.

gonna fire this baby up tomorrow!

Nosfereefer

i have a vision for this fort

it involves a lot of goblets

Nosfereefer

we can all be the dog

i think i will start working on the military. hopefully we can get them to train without everybody dying this time?

Nosfereefer

okay, buckle up kiddos - year 2 is officially on!

the fort just got a new guy

SPICY!

like i've mentioned before, i'm going to focus on military stuff to begin with

in dwarf fortress, the military serves a handful of central roles; they defend us from invading armies, wereanimals, megabeasts, and the occasional kobold thief. in addition, in the later versions of df, they can also be sent out on raids, mainly to steal wizards' stuff.

astute readers will have noted how weird and complicated combat works in this game. a big feature is how "hit points" doesn't enter into it at all - every single body part and internal organ is represented, and stuff dies through blood loss, spear thru the heart, brain crushed by hammers, that sort of stuff.
in true dwarf fortress style, we don't really have any direct way of influencing this amazing masterwork of a combat system. what we can do, however, is to make sure our little buddies are as ready as possible when the next big brawl breaks up.
what we basically need is to assign a handful of otherwise expendable (combat is nasty) citizens to military duty, give them armour and weapons, and a place to train
the first part is usually trivial, while the second requires a functioning metal industry, and the third takes a lot of time

thankfully, freshcutfries' exploratory mining has already revealed valuable hematite, one of the three different iron containing ores (the two others are functionally identical, but this game cares about geology), and also we have plenty of wood to make charcoal from

my first step is to clear up space for the metalworks

i'm reusing freshcutfries' design from the floor above, for consistency
you will notice that i'm currently not using a tileset, and experienced players will notice that the original tiles are messed up for some reason. oh well!

the process of making metal stuff is as follows:
wood is turned into charcoal at the wood burner, which in turn fuels both the smelter and the forge
metal ores are then converted into bars at the smelter
the final product is then crafted from bars at the forge

Nosfereefer

as the basics of the industry is now covered, the next part is finding a suitable sparring area

there is a LOT going on in this picture, but the important part is that im constructing a roofed training ground on the surface, next to the entrance of the fortress
this location serves two main purposes; first off, armed military dudes and dudettes will be ready to face immediate threats, and secondly being above ground makes sure they don't develop cave adaption (which makes dwarves puke when they see the sun. this is somewhat bad in combat)
the reason for it being roofed is b/c nobody likes getting rained on, and the game still treats the area right below as "sunlit"

there are now a couple of issues, where the first one is basically lack of recruits. with 22 people, we're pretty much running a skeleton crew and i don't want to add any more stress to our hauling jobs
this will solve itself with the next migration wave

the other issue is a bit more complex; i've already assigned two no-names to burn charcoal and smelt iron bars, which is labour that's not very skill dependent. the difference between an unskilled and a grandmaster coal burner is just the time used, which is pretty marginal when you consider the time used to carry the materials and finished goods
smithing is arguably the work that benefits most from skills. there are a few different smiting skills, but the ones we are interested in are armour- and weapon smithing. the highest quality armour and weapons are literally twice as good as a base quality one

training a skilled smith takes ages, and will waste tons of material. but if we're lucky we might get a good one moving in. the problem is still that these are two separate skills, and while we might luck out on a good weaponsmith, we'd still be an armoursmith short

e: also, since our booze (and some stuff of lesser importance) stockpiles are dangerously low, i'm preparing for the next caravan

i'm not really familiar with the latest changes to the manager tasks, but hopefully this works out!
while it would technically be more economical to smelt gold and turn that into crafts, gold is ridiculously plentiful on this map, and simply carving the unrefined ore into crafts saves a lot of extra work

e2: nope, it doesn't work like that at all! gonna have to go dwarf fortress on this
e3: okay, so just allowing gold nuggets for normal crafting and storing them next to the workshop did the trick

behold!

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 19, 2019

Nosfereefer

immigrants have arrived! for some reason they spent a long time entering the map one at a time
after some investigation, i found that the problem was that there was no designated "meeting area". but now there is one right by the entrance!
this underlines our severe lack of a proper main hall. if i get the time, ill make a grand one, with a well and al!

but first, we recieved 25 new dwarves, more than doubling our population

in short, these are all useless. interestingly enough there were 3 legendary level crafters among them, but we will soon enough get loads more through strange moods. on the plus side i no longer have any good reason not to start pumping out low quality iron armour

this is also one of the weird quirks of dwarf fortress. notice how the bulk of the new arrivals are fishery workers, animals dissectors and farmers of dubious specialization (milkers, shearers, lye makers)

i'm setting the lye maker to make armour full time

armok willing, you will
theres is a big backlog of work to do, so she's disallowed all other kinds of work, including helping out the wounded

all these new heads require roofs over them, so im expanding the bedrooms

:ohdear:

Nosfereefer

with the influx of warm bodies new citizens, its time to organize the military

hihohe will lead the gifts of glaze to glory!

since armour is still way behind schedule, they're first just gonna wrestle naked for some time
i'll provide some needed context;
combat related skills can (and should) be trained a lot before sending otherwise green recruits into combat. an unskilled dwarf with the best gear possible will die horribly, and training is essential for surviving anything other than small raids

there are loads of different skills which plays part in this, but the most important one right now is "teaching". at this stage, whoever is leading the training will simply not allow these useless knuckleheads to spar, and so they will simply observe combat demonstrations until they know one end of the axe from the other
this is generally a good thing, as they would otherwise simply kill each other. the bad thing is that this takes ages even with a competent teacher. which we don't have

the gray heads in the square are fresh recruits, where the grey colour means that they have no specialization yet. they have absolutely no relevant skills yet

this will change soon enough

i'm not handing them anything sharp just yet, since they will start dying as soon as i give them the opportunity

meanwhile, the armour situation is getting sorted out

summer has arrived!

Nosfereefer

meanwhile, twenty four has been possessed by spirits

she throws the current occupant out of the workshop while muttering to herself

stay safe craft ghost!

i had to slaughter a water buffalo. for some reason we didn't have any bones around. im so sorry

google this gives birth to a healthy boy, promptly loses it?

AGAIN?
apparently we're at the stage where the game will simply throw migrants at us until the population limit is reached
might have to make new expansions asap

Nosfereefer

Hihohe posted:

Alright Dwarves! We have no weapons, armor, or proper barracks but ill whip you into fighting shape. Nevermind that i havnt even seen a warhammer or that i just learned what "dodging" was this morning. Im sure well excell at it, Especially with me in charge.

Nosfereefer

progress is steady, and due to all the new immigrants we now have 20 dwarves wrasslin

babies are made, congrats queef and alnilam!

luvcow is elected first mayor of cuddleboat, and starts ruling w/ an iron fist imediatly. good job luvcow!
basically, certain special roles like mayor or nobles can issue production orders (completely arbitrarily), which if not followed up gets a dwarf chosen (completely arbitrarily) to be punished for the transgression. since we have no functioning legal system at this point, it doesn't really matter though.

some guy who probably posts on reddit gets sadbrains :smith:
this is worrying, if nothing else then because if more people break down it can cause a domino effect. aka the dreaded tantrum spiral. for the uninitiated, dwarves suffering from negative thoughts long enough eventually break, either getting depressed and doing nothing until they eventually starve to death, or worse - go berserk and attack others. the resulting deaths in turn causes more stress on the other dwarves, and well, this tends to become a neverending cascade of suffering and death

even worse, a random farmer died within the fort for no apparant reason. i really can't figure this one out. if it were vampires, they'd be found "drained of all their blood". maybe plain, old fashion MURDER??!!

in more concrete news, the traders arrived again, and this time we bought up all their cloth, leather and drinks. the textiles are because we don't have any serious fiber production (pig tails, mostly) and tattered clothes are gonna make people sad soon enough.

now this is our new main hall. it sits deep within the fort and keeps the occupants pretty safe.
the reason why half of it looks weird is because we're smoothing the rock surfaces. this doesn't really serve any purpose, but looks more finished imho
it also contains a well, which draws from a cistern right below, drawing from the river above. while dwarves will prefer to subside 100% on alcohol, having a ready well is good for a number of reasons, for example that it negates a lot of unhappiness should we run out of booze
the two levers at the top controls the floodgates to safely fill the cistern. now this part is extremely important for future overseers:
NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, WHATSOEVER, OPEN BOTH FLOODGATES AT ONCE!!!
this will quickly flood the entire fortress, possibly drowning every single soul in the main hall

Nosfereefer

okay, gonna wrap it up for tonite, reached the start of winter, but gonna finish up tomorrow (or thursday at worst)

the sudden death made me realize that we havent really planned out any tombs yet

for the moment i stuck a couple of coffins in the mines just to get rid of the corpse. its not like he was a byob poster or anything

we're getting migrations seasonally it seems, which has had me pretty busy just expanding the living quarters

nice

since this is likely to keep happening i took the initiative to accommodate the next few waves in advance.

this is reclaiming the mining tunnels for rooms. i'm digging out the rooms, and filling in the gaps. it will look nice. i promise

the wrasslin dwarfs are becoming basically base level competent, and are mostly fitted out in full iron armor at this point. at this rate they might even get to train with weapons before the end of the year
might need a hospital ready before that

in general nobody is too unhappy just yet, but this place will need a temple and a tavern (this time banning outside creative types) sooner or later

Nosfereefer

google THIS posted:

So, mechanics question, is food spoilage not a thing or is it mercifully lenient or do dwarven digestive systems just not give a gently caress? I skimmed the last thread and it seems like the game carefully calculates the secretions of a dwarf's salivary glands as he pries the lid off a barrel of raw uncleaned seafood that's been sitting in a damp cave for six months.

food lasts forever for some reason.

well, the reason is that the developer never really intended to make fortress mode to begin with, and mainly deals with whatever he feels adds to the world-generation process. so while most of the mechanics are ridiculously detailed, other stuff is ignored.

other examples include how you can balance an entire mountain on a single pedestal, how gold is more common than iron, or how the user interface requires a 8 year degree to comprehend

food spoilage will be implemented once food preservation becomes relevant for how civilizations spread i guess

e: the current food stockpiles look like this

the "others" category mainly consists of different kinds of ready made stews

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 20, 2019

Nosfereefer

last update:

the rest of the winter was pretty uneventful, unfortunatly

the highlights were fuubi giving birth to her daughter

and the yeti starting some weird project

as i've mentioned, the living quarters were expanded a lot, with the upper floor now looking like this

while the reclaimed mining areas looks like this now

since we've started electing mayors, some new accomodations had to be made

the new rooms to the left are combinations of bedroom, office, and dining rooms. higher level roles like mayor or nobles have their own demands for this stuff, so i just made 4 of them for future use
as you can also see, the main hall is now smoothed out, if still undecorated

as for the military, they're staring to shape up

every single one of the 20 militia types are now considered "wrestlers". this means that their current main fighting technique, wrestling, is somewhat okay now. along the way they have become basically decent fighters in general, having their general combat skills at an adequate level (some are even competent!)
they're also pretty most completely armoured, which is nice. i never got around assigning a weaponsmith, so that's probably a priority for the next overseer. but at this point it's pretty safe to give them weapons to train with. and even if a group of gobins show up, we'll probably beat them senseless without too bad losses

i also took the liberty of building roofs over the above ground cabins

despite the fact that all of the screenshots show 2d areas, the game IS 3d. i realize that it's hard to get a proper idea of the fortress from them, especially for those who haven't played dwarf fortress before, so i've included a helpful cross section of the current fortress:

as you can see, our underground water supply is drained from the river into a reservoir, which can be released further down to the cistern below the well. this is a very basic method wich works by separating a certain amount of water from the river by the use of floodgates, which can then safely be transferred to the bottom. "safe" is probably misleading here - if both gates are open at once, the resulting enormous water pressure will kill a lot of dwarves

stuff that we'll probably need pretty soon includes: hospital, tavern, temple, tomb, horrid mismanagement

i'm going to upload the save for the next overseer now

Nosfereefer

i never made a single goblet or mug :evilbuddy:

Nosfereefer

something i've noticed is that depression is now handled differently, or is even something entirely different from the old melancholia. the diagnoser who got sad got better after a while, and fell into depression again a couple of times. since said dwarf is not dead, and currently best for the job, it's now the fort's chief medical dwarf.

i have no idea how the regular depressive episodes will effect that in practice, but emotionally broken doctors are an exciting archtype

hope this works:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1S3s43WXy95n0yFKZQl4LDP0CsYMbzOHw?usp=sharing

Nosfereefer

something i forgot to mention re: military, is how this new trained core of soldiers will make eventual replacements or expansions a lot quicker

beginning from scratch is a slow process in this version of the game since, as ive mentioned, nobody knows anything relevant. it's just a bunch of clueless beginners trying to explain the basics to each other

since they've now had a good time to work on that, we have plenty of pretty decent teachers who actually have some idea of what they're supposed to be teaching. this means that new recruits will learn the basics a lot quicker. a good idea if we're making more squads (the standard unit of up to 10 dwarves) in the future is therefore to move some of the experienced troops into them, as training happens on the squad level

at the moment this doesn't apply for actual weapon use since, well, none of them have held one yet

Nosfereefer

FreshCutFries posted:

I for one vote to keep our military as an elite cuddle force instead of introducing weapons

this sounds all good and well until you realize they will rip out their enemies teeth and beat them to death with them

and im not sure if this is a reason for or against

e: or suplex a rhino

Nosfereefer

some time after i finished the main hall, i got a notification that a horse starved to death

this was because dwarf fortress is really stupid/great

when assigning a "meeting area", such as our underground hall, all idle dwarves will gather there to talk and make new friends

domesticated animals will also join them. this includes animals which needs to graze to survive. they will not leave this place, even if they're starving

in short, all our livestock joined the merrymakers until i noticed, but now they're staying in an above grazing area that i designated

Nosfereefer

google THIS posted:

who know little of life outside of cuddling, practicing cuddling, and drinking

plz don't doxx

Nosfereefer

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's, uh, complicated.

* Food left on the ground will rot. I've lost meals this way when I didn't notice meals piling up in the kitchen not being taken to a stockpile.

*Food left on the ground but in a stockpile will not decay. However, vermin like rats running around will cause food to become damaged, losing value and eventually disappear. Cats and falcons can kill vermin, keeping your stockpiles safe. But then you have dead vermin to deal with.

*Food/drinks in a barrel, bucket or other container lasts forever, so barrels are a pro move.
Note: liquids such as milk will freeze if left in freezing temperatures, making them inaccessible until thawed.

But, yes, a barrel of raw fish stays good forever. :iit:

haha i never realized this since barrels increase storage capacity by a lot and are dirt cheap

Nosfereefer

Who What Now posted:

So Nosfereefer you started training a military, did you ever consider building a Danger Room?

danger rooms are cool and good, but i didn't really feel like it was viable at this stage. the smollbois didn't have armour for most of the year, and there's no functioning hospital yet. i also really didn't have the mechanisms at hand

but the current sparing area could easily be converted into one later on i think

Nosfereefer

Heather Papps posted:

my little brother is over explaining dwarf fortress to me and there is no way to make a nerd happier then to ask him to explain his nerd to you

embrace his teachings, become one with the dwarf fort

Nosfereefer

the game has been developed for a solid 17 years now. we're all like early hobby radio enthusiasts, experimenting with technology that's still poorly understood even by its own inventors

even with the wiki in its current state, a lot of the knowledge about how to make different things interact with each other is based on first hand experience, educated guesses, and hearsay

Nosfereefer

like, i don't even know why the dogs in our current fortress are surviving. are we feeding them? do they help themselves to our food stockpiles? do they even need food? :iiam:

Nosfereefer

don't forget to ban travelling poets! they killed us all last time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

its that drat honey bee again!