Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It's time for another PAX Unplugged! This is the third time this event has been in Philly, and hopefully it will continue to improve! In true PAX fashion, this is a line con, something most traditional game cons do not due and opt for tickets instead. First year was a mess as a result, last year they took on a few ticket like functions, hopefully more will appear this year.

When is it: December 6 - 8, 2019

Where is it: Philadelphia Convention Center, roughly at 12th st and Arch but its a big convention center and they like to move around which entrances you can use so...

How can I find goons?: Join the groupme for this con! https://groupme.com/join_group/33309759/qHSJ5d

If you have questions about Philadelphia, or PAXU ask them here! I've been living in Philadelphia the past 10 years so I can definitely help answer anything about the city. PAXU is the only PAX I've attended, but I go to loads of other board game conventions so I am happy to talk comparisons. Can't compare it to other PAX's, though. Hopefully others in the thread can jump in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’ve heard that they have the whole convention center this year, so maybe we wont get booted from the freeplay area with 15 min notice

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Coming down from Boston for this, Amtrak 173 down on Thursday, Amtrak 86 back on Tuesday.

I'm one of the Enforcers, don't know what department I am working yet, most likely Registration or Info Booth (my normal department at PAX East does not exist at Unplugged due to a lack of staffing).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah I really hope they let you play stuff past midnight. It has been super annoying to get booted at midnight because of reasons.

I'll be doing stuff for the Mazes RPG which is by local developer 9th Level Games. I'll also have Bee Lives at the Friday night Philadelphia game showcase. Other than that should just be running around enjoying the con. Quite a difference from typically attending them primarily for business purposes these past 2 years.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
A "line con" is the wrong loving answer in TYOOL 2019. Hard no.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, I am really curious to see how much less line con-y it will be this year. I just don't do events at PAXU as a result. Either I am running games, or its open play/exhibitor hall. No waiting in line for D&D or milennial monopoly or whatever.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I don’t think I’d go to PaxU if it wasn’t easy for me to get to and I have people to stay with. LineCon sucks but so do panels and most non-tabletop events. It does make the RPG stuff really bad though.

The real worst thing is the limited hours on the convention spaces. People are on vacation and want to game/do stuff. Closing the convention area (iirc 11pm?) really sucks, especially because functionally you have to be packing up whatever at 10:30pm and you can’t start many games past 10pm. It’s even worse for pickup RPG or longer complex boardgames (18xx, John Company, etc.) which can have playtime extend easily.

The best thing about PaxU is that it is soon after Essen and everything that premiered there is in the first look area so you can demo all the stuff people will be clamoring over in the coming months and get real impressions

I will do my traditional “setup somewhere and sit all day playing 18xx, but also be the baggage check for anyone I know.” This year I might have a floor flag if I can get a design hammered out with my local group!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, if I didn't live in Philly, I wouldn't go (ok, maybe if it was still close and I had free housing). I enjoy it, but I already attend at least 3 other more traditional tabletop conventions a year, and often more.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Part of the reason for the early close is that, at least at the other PAXes, the number of people attending after midnight does not justify the enforcer presence. Also, it might be something in the contract with the convention center.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I always assumed it was something with the convention center, but PAX not understanding how to run a tabletop convention based on the videogame cons they run would be on par with my PAXU experience

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Maybe I'm just doing different stuff but my dealings with lines for PAXU has been minimal.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I avoid things with lines. But if you want to play Adventurers League D&D for example, hop in line. The tournaments were line based as well, first ones in got to participate. Its messed up IMO.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Do they still not provide much support to the people running the tabletop RPG? I remember the first year they had to run a gofundme or something to pay for supplies

I wish there was a way to submit events, I’d love to run 18xx stuff that was more broadly advertised to find the 12 other people at the con who play, and also have some sort of space reserved

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Probably not. The group that did D&D AL this year isnt doing it this year. That probably has to be part of it. From my understanding, it was similar to bidding for a gov contractor. Lowest bidder wins. They did it for free and did a GoFundMe me. Either they got sick of that for this year (rightfully so) or someone is actually offering pay PAXU to run D&D there.

They could have also changed their application process for this stuff but I doubt it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Where are some good places to eat and or drink near the convention center, aside from Reading Terminal? From last time I remember Monk's Cafe for its ridiculous beer list and Bud & Marilyn's for some good Wisconsin-style food and cocktails.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Philly has a crazy food scene. How far are you willing to travel and how, and what kind of food/drink do you want? There is a tremendous amount of stuff within about a 2 mile radius of the convention center.

For example, what isbsupposidly the best pizza in the United states in in fishtown

https://www.bonappetit.com/people/chefs/article/beddia

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Philly has a crazy food scene. How far are you willing to travel and how, and what kind of food/drink do you want? There is a tremendous amount of stuff within about a 2 mile radius of the convention center.

For example, what isbsupposidly the best pizza in the United states in in fishtown

https://www.bonappetit.com/people/chefs/article/beddia

I'm mainly looking for places within walking distance of the convention center, but if it looks good enough (like that pizzeria) I'd probably find a way to get there.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There's a bunch of good places in Chinatown which is a few blocks down the road. My favorite place is a ramen spot, Terakawa.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

pospysyl posted:

I'm mainly looking for places within walking distance of the convention center, but if it looks good enough (like that pizzeria) I'd probably find a way to get there.

Well here is a quick little food guide for good stuff in the area, which includes things you may need to take a short public transit ride or uber to. There is so much stuff within walking distance of the convention center I can't nor do I want to list it all. The one thing I will say is that you will be able to play boardgames at pretty much none of these places. They are all going to be busy with the weekend and even if they were dead, most are too small anyway. Anyway, here are some of my favorites in no particular order:

Brauhuas Schmitz
Roughly South St. and 8th St. (you can walk this but would probably rather uber)
Their Brauer Bund is definitely large enough to play board games in. Question is how busy will they be.
This is one of the best German beer halls in America. I love this place, and also one of the only places in the country to get several of the German beers they serve. Come get your sausages.
https://www.brauhausschmitz.com/

Pizza Brain
2313 Frankford Ave. (uber)
Great pizza and possibly the worlds only pizza museum
https://www.pizzabrain.org/

Thirsty Dice
17th and Fairmount (2 blocks off of Broad St., you can walk here but may prefer the broad street line or uber)
Philly's first board game cafe/bar
https://www.thirstydice.com/

Queen & Rook
2nd and South St. (Uber)
Recently opened board game cafe/bar
https://queenandrookcafe.com/

Evil Genius
1727 Front St. (Take the L or uber)
Brewery with food and lots of space, done boardgames here before
http://evilgeniusbeer.com/

Monk's
16th and Spruce (a long walk)
This Belgian bar and eatery started the craft beer scene here in Philadelphia. Great place, but it will be packed.
https://www.monkscafe.com/

China Town
a big area that starts around 10th and market (walkable)
I don't really go here but many people love the food here. There are bad places to get food here and great ones, I personally don't know which are which.

Indiblue
13th and Locust more or less (walkable)
Just a good indian fusion place
https://www.indebluerestaurant.com/

Pizza Beddia
1313 North Lee St. (uber)
Never been, but it is supposidly legit the best pizza in the united states
https://www.pizzeriabeddia.com/

Jim's
4th and South st. (you could walk but probably uber)
My cheesesteak place recommendation if you want one of the famous places. Don't ask native Philadelphians (I am not a native) their favorite cheesesteak, you will start a knife fight. Personally, they are all pretty similar. If you want the cheesesteak experience just go to Jim's on South.
https://www.jimssouthstreet.com/

Joke option: Little Baby's Ice Cream
19 South 12th street (walkable)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erh2ngRZxs0

I guarantee you there are a ton of places I am just forgetting or not thinking about right now.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Can confirm Indeblue is good, the brunch there was fantastic. Not on the list but absolutely should be, Li'l Nonna's was loving epic, worth both the walk and the nearly hour wait to get a table. Best stuffed meatballs I've ever had, bar none.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
Pack food in unless you want to be dropping 15 bucks on some mediocre chicken fingers.

Last year the biggest problem was the security lines, bag searches and metal detectors with only a limited number of entrances. It kept me from leaving the convention center because it was a 20 minute wait to get back in. MUCH worse on Friday rather than Saturday or Sunday, but still.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I really hope they drop the metal detectors at the entrances this year. I don't get it. I've never been to another tabletop convention that does that. They had it up for Keystone Comic Con this year as well, is it just something Reedpop does at every convention they run?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Rhandhali posted:

Last year the biggest problem was the security lines, bag searches and metal detectors with only a limited number of entrances. It kept me from leaving the convention center because it was a 20 minute wait to get back in. MUCH worse on Friday rather than Saturday or Sunday, but still.

Sadly, this has been the reality at PAX East since 2014. It was forced onto the con by the convention center/Boston PD after the Marathon Bombing.

Trying to confirm with one of my customers (I work in a retail print shop) if they are going to be there (Studio 404). I did print an on demand hardcover version of the campaign setting for their game Starcana over the summer.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Rhandhali posted:

Pack food in unless you want to be dropping 15 bucks on some mediocre chicken fingers.

That really stinks. I was there year 1 and missed it last year, and one of the nice things about the convention when I went is that I didn't feel any pressure to stick around when I wanted to go out to eat or visit the library or the Ben Franklin Museum.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

nesbit37 posted:

I really hope they drop the metal detectors at the entrances this year. I don't get it. I've never been to another tabletop convention that does that. They had it up for Keystone Comic Con this year as well, is it just something Reedpop does at every convention they run?

Well if you are of a cynical bent the convention center may require it because they can then charge more for the venue to provide security. Plus, it discourages people from leaving, forcing them into the expensive concession stands if they didn’t pack in.

I hope they don’t do it, and I will say that they are loving useless. I just shoved my jacket in the top of my backpack and they didn’t even look. Plus they just waved through a bunch of people that set the metal detectors off.

That being said it was a wonderful time and I am really looking forward to this year since I keep not being able to make Gencon.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

Don't ask native Philadelphians (I am not a native) their favorite cheesesteak, you will start a knife fight.

*pulls out a knife* If you want the authentic Philadelphia cheese steak experience, find a rando corner food cart and get a cheesesteak from them.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I think, like Gen Con, you just have to choose the times you leave the convention center wisely. I think the main difference here is you want to leave at a time that you can come back when most people are not trying to come back in. So if most attendees leave to eat lunch at noon maybe don't try to get back in the convention center around 1.

As Rhandhali said, it's just super frustrating because they clearly don't actually care about security. I, too, saw them just wave people to keep moving even after they set off the metal detectors and they didn't bother to check them.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I know at East they open the side entrances (complete with security theater) after the morning rush for easy access to the food trucks/Jimmy John's/Dunkin'

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Double post but good news for me is I have enough vacation hours to cover the time off from work instead of playing musical shifts with my coworkers.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Two more food additions

1. Dirty Franks
This is my favorite dive bar of all time. Its in a building at the corner of 13th and Pine that has Ben Franklin and some other Philadelphia faces painted on it. If the doors are closed, and they probably will be because of the weather, you don't even know the place is there. It's everything a dive bar should be. Super cheap beer, dirty, local, and cash only. They don't serve food but you can carry in anything you want to eat. This is walkable from the convention center

2. 13th street in general
There are a lot of good options on or just off of 13th st. You can't go wrong with most of them. This street is the gayborhood for Philly though its getting gentrified out. There is a power lesbian couple that owns several of the spots here, such as Barbuzzo, which is good. El Vez is great, Charlie Was a Sinner is supposed to be a good vegan place though I have never been. Nomad pizza is great, they are just off 13th at Locust. Indeblue is also on this stretch. Green Eggs Cafe is my personal favorite brunch in the city if you want something early Sunday or Saturday (get there before 10 on Sunday in particular, it gets slammed as people wake up from partying and their hangovers kick in). Woody's is a historic gay bar/nightclub if that is your thing after the hall closes.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Fair warning Green Eggs Cafe is also cash only, at least it was when I tried to go a couple of weeks ago.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

nesbit37 posted:

Charlie Was a Sinner is supposed to be a good vegan place though I have never been.

I have! I am only a vegetarian so we went more as a novelty than a necessity but we liked it. Lots of tapas-type shareable food and really good drinks. We got a last minute reservation and it was pretty packed so plan ahead I guess.

I will also be attending again this year. No real plans other than wandering around and seeing whats new.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Schedule is live

https://unplugged.paxsite.com/schedule

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you need Vegan food, I have friends who rave about V Street which is about a 20 minute walk from the convention center in Rittenhouse Square.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
V street is amazing. It's also like $20 for a carrot, but if you want really great vegan food and don't mind the price tag do check it out.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Confirming that Jim's is the best place and not the meme tourist two cheese steak system we're sold.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Dalessandro's > Jim's > Pat's > Gino's

Lots of other options can get added wherever in there as well.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I swear to god if this turns out like the Philadelphia thread whenever someone brings up cheesesteaks I am going to turn this thread right around and go home.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have yet to find anyone who argues with the ranking above. Lots of people mention other places too, but that ranking has been universal among folks I've encountered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I like Carmens which is easily located in Reading Terminal