Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Some non-confidential notes from the Enforcer afterparty:

The Squid costumed person? An Enforcer. They showed up to the Afterparty in it.

Only reason the Grand Hall entrance was unavailable for Friday morning is another event had it booked and we couldn't even build in it until after the con started, so... yeah. We will have it for next year, so keep last year's mental map handy.

One of my fellow Enforcers hurt themselves walking to his hotel Sunday night in the most hilarious way possible. HE SLIPPED ON A loving CHEESESTEAK. The tragedy is, he can't afford this poo poo, if you can afford to, please throw him a few bucks. https://www.gofundme.com/f/andrew039s-broke-knee-mountain

Ilor posted:

Yeah, pretty much none of the feedback from the inaugural version of PAXUP got internalized, so I'm dubious that feedback from this one will be. The most important thing they could do is get rid of all the goddamn dumpster-fire lines. It's a terrible model for a gaming convention, and until it changes I won't be back.

EDIT: the whole Enforcer thing is a loving farce. If the con was structured well, you wouldn't need an absolute rear end-load of volunteers. I'd be interested to see what the "staff" numbers are for GenCon vs PAX:Unplugged.

There were ~450 of us at Unplugged this year. 300 of us packed into North Bowl Monday night to let loose, eat, drink and bowl. East we numbered ~1000. Reminder that outside of specific roles, we work 6 hour shifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Kilonum posted:

There were ~450 of us at Unplugged this year. 300 of us packed into North Bowl Monday night to let loose, eat, drink and bowl. East we numbered ~1000. Reminder that outside of specific roles, we work 6 hour shifts.

Enforcers are being exploited by PAX for free labor. There is no reason y'all shouldn't be paid for the things you do, aside from the fact that a culture has developed around volunteering for a corporation. It's a parasocial relationship with a brand and the people running the brand taken to an extreme. And I believe that PAX knows and encourages this. Here's the volunteer listing for PAX West (https://west.paxsite.com/enforcers)

quote:

As tens of thousands of attendees enjoy and experience the spectacle that is PAX, the incredible and often hidden work of the Enforcers hums like a well-oiled machine. This incredible group of several thousand individuals around the world tirelessly give a week or more of their lives each year, as literal blood, sweat and tears make the show happen.

What started as a volunteer workforce has grown into its own living and breathing community, focused on helping the game community at large. Not only do they ensure a well-run PAX, but they also assist with our charity, Child’s Play, as well as a variety of community and Enforcer-run activities throughout the year.

See an Enforcer not putting out a fire? Be sure to thank them!

I really despise the bolded sentences because the way they are written it implies that enforcers have moved on from a volunteer workforce to a paid one. It reminds me of the manipulative crap my job pulls trying to brainwash employees into thinking they are a family and a community to keep people because they won't give them pay increases. There is so much brand engagement that they don't need to compensate people for their time, people just give it away. They even give their staff a name like 'enforcer' to make them feel special.

I've also realized a lot of the problems with PAXU that I have are due to the brand control that PAX wants to exert over the convention. I've also been reminded recently of the problems I have with the PAX brand itself and why I don't follow the comic or Acquisitions Inc or anything anymore.

I hope this doesn't come off as a personal attack Kilonum, I do not mean it that way. I understand your pride in volunteering for a thing you believe in and enjoy and I have a lot of respect for your 8+ year commitment. The enforcers do good work and I'm sure they are a great group. I just wish PAX would value it more.

e: this is kind of scattered on review, I dunno if there is another more PAX focused thread where better discussion could be had

Fellis fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 11, 2019

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Fellis posted:

I just wish PAX would value it more.

Yup, pretty much this. I've felt similar for the effort I've put into the D&D Adventurers League and we started a 501c7 group in large part so dungeon masters and other game masters could actually be fairly compensated for their time and efforts running games for people at Philadelphia area venues. I get the margins are thin in this industry, hell I live it since I own a board game publishing company, but there are no reason certain people get to profit and others get nothing. This especially goes for an org like PAX that is running a series of some of the largest for profit game conventions in the country.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The last PAXU application I saw for enforcers said it was a paid position but did not mention the compensation. Can anyone elaborate on that?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Harlock posted:

The last PAXU application I saw for enforcers said it was a paid position but did not mention the compensation. Can anyone elaborate on that?

Local minimum wage, so for 2020, $15/hr for West, $12.50/hr for East, $7.25/hr for South and Unplugged

EDIT: Also, Jerry Holkins (One of the two writers of Penny Arcade) personally dropped $1500 into that GoFundMe a couple hours ago. He was at the Enforcer afterparty (he has yet to miss one) and looked visibly concerned when the news was announced.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 12, 2019

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I guess my point is that from a labor standpoint it seems like PAX events are "overstaffed." I don't know how many staff GenCon has, but it seems like a lot fewer, especially given the difference in size. And it is run SO much more smoothly - again, especially given the difference in size. There is basically one line at GenCon (Badge Registration/Will Call), which is for suckers because the pro move is to pay the extra :10bux: to get your badge and event tickets mailed to you ahead of time. At GenCon, the only thing I wait in line for is food trucks. At the inaugural PAXU, I waited in line for almost an hour for a half-hour game (7 Wonders tournament), and when I got to the front of the line to get my ticket, the person giving it to me had no idea where the event was actually being held aside from a vague "boardgame tournaments" area. I had to find it myself. Contrast this with GenCon, where I know months beforehand what building, room, and loving table my event is at. I waited in line for...I dunno, nearly an hour for SU&SD's live podcast - a line that formed outside an empty auditorium area I might add. Why not just let people come in and sit down? Because lines are part of PAX culture, which is utterly bonkers.

You should only waste time by choice at a gaming convention. Institutionally baked-in waste of con-goers' time is almost criminal.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Quotin' out of order for impact

Rosalind posted:

Yep. I was supposed to go to GenCon a few years ago but had a 103 degree fever the day my friend was driving down so I canceled. I've gone to a few smaller comic cons--things like FlameCon.
So Rosalind, I cannot help but notice that you were supposed to go to GenCon a few years ago but had a 103 degree fever the day your friend was driving down so you cancelled

I am here to tell you that, particularly given your concern about not having really met any new gaming buddies at the convention, you absolutely need to try to join us at Gen Con Indy in 2020. We have a core of at least 25 people between our thread here and our offline GroupMe who are basically together in various configurations from "getting drunk*" to "playing the new cool game all day" from Wednesday to Sunday, and at least again that many of people who will absolutely pop up at one get-together or another if you put out a specific request. Including some of the same cool people from this thread, though granted you seemingly did not meet any of them so that is not a draw for you specifically. And this whole discussion has hyped me up so much for posting the 2020 Gen-Con thread that I am going to finish that before finishing this post. Days passing.................. O.K. Gen Con 2020 thread done

Rosalind posted:

I don't understand pins. Why are pins such a big deal? Is there something I'm missing or are they just pins with neat designs? Some guy explained to me, in great and unnecessary detail, how he had gotten each of the pins on his dice bag while we were waiting for a game to start and was clearly annoyed that I was not impressed by the "rare" ones. Is there some kind of nerd hanky code that's communicated via pins?

It's ok to like cheesy things. I like angels and fluffy cutesy animals and goddammit if I didn't get plenty of things featuring one or the other. No one said anything judgmental, but I sometimes judge myself for it so I just want to write this out.
PINZ: For real. Look, I get it on some level; I have liked pins since I was a kid, and have occasionally wore a few here and there. I definitely understand the appeal of having a collection demonstrating how you have attended (x) for (y) number of years, as demonstrative benign fanaticism is always a good time (I DO have all my Gen-Con badges going back to 1997 in a pile after all). But... but yeah. COLLECT ALL 12 PINS AVAILABLE THIS YEAR but why, but why am I doing this?

Ultimately I just kind of shrug and say "I imagine there is at least something I spend money on that the pin crazies would say is a waste of money" (food, shelter)

Cheesy: Hell yes, I think my favorite Gen-Con purchase of the last few years is this since it makes me happy every time I see it

Fellis posted:

In PAXU 2020 news, they have made a bad decision in moving the convention back to the weekend prior to thanksgiving. This will have attendance impact because of the holiday and because of the Philly marathon being the same weekend and competing for hotel space downtown. This is also the same weekend as BGG con in Texas which means vendors, panelists, and other industry figures will have to make a decision between the two cons.

Yeah all the historical miniatures cons are dying because who has money/time for that hobby anymore. I go mostly with my dad or just try to get good deals in the flea market and play one or two minis games. It's a short drive for me since they moved most of them back to PA.
Quality "You Can't Do That On Television" aesthetic for that PAX Unplugged graphic

And also, wow, moving the convention to a worse weekend that conflicts, huh? Well, that is very PAX Unplugged of them, though I want to believe it is for a scheduling conflict rather than them thinking that is the best move to make. Cynical though I may be, I doubt any remotely major convention wants to schedule itself as the same time as any other.

And thanks for posting about Fall In! because I had never heard of it until just now and how many more long-running conventions I have never heard of can there possibly be

I had a pretty interesting discussion with Randy "Keeper of Ancient Gen-Con Lore" Porter a few years back about his efforts to ensure Gen-Con really is the longest-running gaming convention, and that there is not some obscure regional wargaming convention in, like, Staking-Upon-Vampireston, England, that has been going since 1957

*We also have a crew including me of people who never drink and just sit and eat pretzels at the drunk gatherings to provide a counterpoint

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Kilonum posted:

Local minimum wage, so for 2020, $15/hr for West, $12.50/hr for East, $7.25/hr for South and Unplugged

EDIT: Also, Jerry Holkins (One of the two writers of Penny Arcade) personally dropped $1500 into that GoFundMe a couple hours ago. He was at the Enforcer afterparty (he has yet to miss one) and looked visibly concerned when the news was announced.

I'm glad to hear that your fellow enforcer is getting taken care of, healthcare expenses are the most insane in our hellworld and I was reminded today of a kickstarter I funded where the guy was bankrupted by a coma and died penniless and homeless soon after. and you know people were still barking for a refund on his last posts. Nobody deserves healthcare debt.

I did google around before I made that post and did not see any indication that enforcers were paid. I'm also very happy to hear that, even though it is just minimum wage, it's far better than volunteer work. When did that change?

Dr. Quarex posted:

And also, wow, moving the convention to a worse weekend that conflicts, huh? Well, that is very PAX Unplugged of them, though I want to believe it is for a scheduling conflict rather than them thinking that is the best move to make. Cynical though I may be, I doubt any remotely major convention wants to schedule itself as the same time as any other.

Someone dug up future convention dates and it seems out of the next 4 years, 2020 is the only one that is the weekend before thanksgiving, so there is likely a scheduling issue. It does suck majorly though, I've already seen 10% or so of people I know say they can't make it and I assume that will go up. I wish there was some response though, myself and some others commented within minutes on their facebook post and radio silence.

Dr. Quarex posted:

And thanks for posting about Fall In! because I had never heard of it until just now and how many more long-running conventions I have never heard of can there possibly be

Have you heard of Historicon? That's the main convention for HMGS. There's also like a ton of other way cooler way longer running conventions but i'm not allowed to tell you about them.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Dr. Quarex posted:

*We also have a crew including me of people who never drink and just sit and eat pretzels at the drunk gatherings to provide a counterpoint
Can confirm. I'm not much of a drinker at all, but GenCon's Goon tradition of "Shots Wednesday" is a must-attend for me now. It's a good time.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Pretzels, gooood. Even if I am a replicant.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Quotin' out of order for impact

So Rosalind, I cannot help but notice that you were supposed to go to GenCon a few years ago but had a 103 degree fever the day your friend was driving down so you cancelled

I am here to tell you that, particularly given your concern about not having really met any new gaming buddies at the convention, you absolutely need to try to join us at Gen Con Indy in 2020. We have a core of at least 25 people between our thread here and our offline GroupMe who are basically together in various configurations from "getting drunk*" to "playing the new cool game all day" from Wednesday to Sunday, and at least again that many of people who will absolutely pop up at one get-together or another if you put out a specific request. Including some of the same cool people from this thread, though granted you seemingly did not meet any of them so that is not a draw for you specifically. And this whole discussion has hyped me up so much for posting the 2020 Gen-Con thread that I am going to finish that before finishing this post. Days passing.................. O.K. Gen Con 2020 thread done

Ha thanks for the invite. Unfortunately, GenCon tends to fall on the same weekend as one of the academic conferences I attend every year--I can already see in 2020 there's a conflict.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Fellis posted:

When did that change?

2012, before that we would submit a copy of our hotel bill and they would cut a check for 1/2 of one night. Now the pay goes through a temp agency, and apparently they're moving to a new HR system so this will be the last PAX where getting Direct Deposit is not an option.

iirc the reason for the change is another con got sued and Reed Pop put this in place before it was settled. A side benefit of this is we are also covered by workman's comp if we get hurt while enforcing. Now pretty much every for-profit con in the US pays their "volunteers".

PAX Australia was entirely volunteer before this year, now Aus & NZ residents get paid. We also had a "Special Snowflake" system that grandfathered in people who could not receive a W-2, however as of West this year there were no more. Most of the Snowflakes were Canadians, and the majority of those were from Vancouver and pretty much only did West.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kilonum posted:

2012, before that we would submit a copy of our hotel bill and they would cut a check for 1/2 of one night. Now the pay goes through a temp agency, and apparently they're moving to a new HR system so this will be the last PAX where getting Direct Deposit is not an option.

Dang, I did not see anything like this looking around online. I thought y'all were still unpaid (minus a comped badge and other small benefits) leading to my big misconception. I still have some issues with the setup of PAXU, and I'm not fond of the Penny Arcade brand, but that is a major qualm with the organization at large resolved for me.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rosalind posted:

Ha thanks for the invite. Unfortunately, GenCon tends to fall on the same weekend as one of the academic conferences I attend every year--I can already see in 2020 there's a conflict.
Rosalind, how dare you

No I get it, not everyone would prioritize Gen-Con over anything else other than a child rudely being born at the same time.

And it is fine, Dr. Quarex Jr., all is forgiven

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Mike Carr almost, almost, missed Gen Con due to his child being born but even that didn't get in his way.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Truly, there is a reason he has the record. Gotta actually play in Fight in the Skies this yeaaaaaaaaand I forgot

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

Rosalind, how dare you

No I get it, not everyone would prioritize Gen-Con over anything else other than a child rudely being born at the same time.

And it is fine, Dr. Quarex Jr., all is forgiven

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wise beyond words.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

anyone here going to PAX South next month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

ketchup vs catsup posted:

anyone here going to PAX South next month?

If flights from Boston or the hotel share were $100 cheaper I would have. I will be at East though, mostly hiding in the BYOC area but just may venture out on the Thursday.