Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Kingtheninja posted:

Is suspicion worth checking out?

Goes on too long, can't maintain the tension, wet fart of a thoroughly unsatisfying ending. Felt like I'd wasted my time, which is saying something for a TV thread. And as for Suspicion...

Massively enjoying WeCrashed though. Delightful WeTrash. Hathaway as producer is clearly loving putting the boot into distaff-Neumann every chance she gets. The voice. The Jay Ay Pee. The sunglasses. The gives-up-at-the-first-hurdle-and-throws-everyone-under-the-bus-ness.The mrs-neumann-out-of-the-shot-please-ness. The microexpressions of bubbling rage and annoyance she squashes every time someone mentions, you know, *grits teeth* her... it has me wriggling with glee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Servant S4: Whatever Happened To Baby Jane Jericho Dorothy

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

2 and 3 are a huge step up especially as they play more into the camp elements and Lauren Ambrose starts really chewing the scenery
Best running joke: Dorothy's reporting being the most insipid local-news cat-stuck-in-tree stuff imaginable, yet she treats it like it's the cure for cancer. (The punchline being what happens when her younger blonder rival gets to cover something of actual import...)

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Open Source Idiom posted:

Big week for women dancing in freaky masks.

Severance, The Dropout, WeCrashed, anything else?

Somewhat enjoyed #1 of Slow Horses, but my heart sank a bit when I realised the opening sequence was pointless backstory. Also, not actually nitpicking whatever it sounds like, Oldman the Old Man (he's an old man) would never say "spies" when referring to a fellow agent FFS, no matter how much of a fuckup they were. (It was mostly corrected later on, to be fair.)

Of course, both the above points could be wrong.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Don't mind admitting that cut in WeCrashed from "No podcasts!" to RPN on a podcast and then being introduced as "Adam Neumann's wife" had me literally crying with laughter.

Perfect timing and escalation. I mean, it's not Great Art really, but that moment had me, right in the funnybone.

Plucky little Apple.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I really wanted to like Mythic Quest but hated it tbh.

Unsurprising - it's smug, cynical (the heart-tugging oh-you-have-to-watch-this flashback eps do their job - Miloti, Johnson, Brener, all excellent - but are completely unearned) and nowhere near as funny or insightful as it pretends to be. It's almost literally Big Bang Theory for people who pretend they're above ugh, can you imagine network televison.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Oh, baby Becka is baby Bono? Not sure why I didn't spot it earlier.

Yeah, B.S. should have been slightly shorter, although It didn't feel "stretched" as much as "under-edited". Thoroughly enjoyable though.

Frankly though I just want Shazzer to go and do another season of Dead Boss.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Bad Sisters getting a season 2 apparently. Not needed in any way, but I trust Horgan to deliver.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Oh wow, a shrink whose life is more of a wreck than his patients'?

How do they think of this stuff?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Great Servant this week, Funkytown out of nowhere, I was howling.

Also will stick with Hello Tomorrow! Crudup has got that perfect 1950s Mid-Atlantic face, y'know? The potential for chaos is high, Myrtle's already blown up Herb's life, Eddie only has a limited number of bones, Jack's still not told Joey the secret, but his mother is noisy. Forms Guy will bury them in bureaucracy till they cannot escape.

You're The Worst had no jokes either, that's the point, you're not meant to be laughing, only to be aghast.

It beat Fallout to the Googie Optimism, while also capturing the darkness and desperation underneath. I hope they'll keep up the useless-devices-and-labour-saving-machines-that-save-no-labour themes. The conveyor belt device that... puts cans on the shelf, that you load by hand. The dictaphone that goes straight-to-paper capturing every word, when ultimately it woulda been quicker for Jack to type it himself, that sort of thing. Delivery vans that'll stop to avoid a dog in front but happily crush the human behind. I could get my parcel dropped on the floor by a human easily enough! A.P.P. was deliberately on-the-nose. Human-sized floating servitors to hand you a piece of paper.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

What are you talking about lmao

Simply that comedy comes from many places, not just "funny man fall down".

For example, I just made you laugh by posting no jokes.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Fresh from Hollyweird rebooting Suicide Squad as THE Suicide Squad, Apple reboots Servant as THE Servant.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1640383290245783552

Oh no, it's The Savant.

Carry on.

They do like their "S" shows, don't they.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

eighty-four merc posted:

I couldn’t make it through first episode of Extrapolations.
The first time round I made it seven minutes. The first two lines didn't help (IIRC) - Q: Do You Need Anything? A: Just For People To Listen. :barf: Ignoring the smug first-draft isn't-this-so-importantism, I'm going to indulge in tactical realism for a second and say that you don't distract the talent by asking if they need anything ten seconds before they go live!

eighty-four merc posted:

The very first scene of the show has a holo-protestor (lol) talking about the 2015 Paris Accords like the climate change Rubicon moment, invoking Greta Thunberg, etc. You couldn’t convince me that anyone today cares about those subjects, let alone people in a near-future climate-ravaged hellscape.
Yeah, it's full of that sort of thing. In a later episode a hacker-punk-druggie-type guy reels off non-sequitur statistics about parts-per-million that no-one on the street would know, as if it's supposed to be significant and informing everyone's day-to-day.

It works best when it's more oblique, like with the smugglers episode.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Bad At Watching Television Alert for Ep9 of Extrapolations, spoilered for those that have just started it.

What happened between the last two scenes? Fade out as Whitaker and Cotillard kiss as the NYE fireworks go off, then fade in on the following morning with the maid scrubbing the carpet before she grabs Whitaker's coat (and DNA) and scoots out to the pickup to filch his place in the upload. What happened between the kiss and the scrubbing? I am assuming the maid moiderised the couple so they wouldn't be able to protest/stop the theft of Whitaker's LifePause place? But if so then why bother with the scrubbing... it's not like there were any witnesses or any need to clean up a crime scene. (The artificial kid doesn't count, it was Put To Sleep.)

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Yeah, Extrapolations was somewhat frustrating - it's so painfully earnest and concerned with making the point that It tips over into insipidness far too often.

For example, Ep10: this is absolutely germane to the plot and situation so it's not just nitpicking: the known fact that the prosecutor's partner (the singer) was a vocal critic of Bilton and had also been known to have been murdered (but not by whom, or why, at that point) - would that on its face not have disqualified that particular prosecutor? A recusal would surely have been called for. And the real question w.r.t. the show is, was that a scathing satirical commentary on RoboJustice 2060, or just inept plotting? It's so confused you can't even tell.

Don't even get me started on that tasteless scene of Sienna Miller's death.

I said before but I think it works best when it's less direct, as we see people coping with the cascading chaos effects; remember the point of Jurassic Park - and the hidden reason why only the first movie out of six is actually any good - was not actually woo dinosaurs! but the downstream effects of perturbations in the system.

You do like a Glengarry thing, where the sales lead is who gets the franchise for the automated machine gun turrets at the border. You do a cod version of the Wannsee Conference, that sort of thing. You can have these ideas for free, Tim Apple.

loving sick of Oh He Was A Hologram All Along, they must have thought they were really clever with that reveal the three dozen times they did it, it seemed.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
High Desert cancelled (obv.)

Apple's all-in on Silo now. GoT 2.0 L.F.G.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Kneel before Zott.

I have no idea what they're doing with this show, I can easily believe it is based on a garbage book though.

Massively reductive and regrettable take: oddly, it feels a bit like Physical with cooking rather than aerobics.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Ohhhhhhhhh, it was the dog that was talking!

what is this show i don't even

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
In Sharon We Trust.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Wow, Feud S2 finishes up and here's Palm Royale to fulfil the quota of booze-sozzled-pill-addled socialites behaving badly in late-60s fashions.

Wiig seems perfect for this, she already has that very precise early-70s willowy look, I reckon. Backcomb the hair, bang, done.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Well, Feud was on FX (we both know this, I'm just saying for the sake of completeness) so it's just a coincidence w.r.t. subject matter - though the point is correct and I'm glad of it - I expect Sugar is supposed to be the next adult-oriented-vaguely-sci-fi item rotating in and being dropped onto the content treadmill after Constellation finishes.

Good old Tim Apple. Money used for good, for once. (Absolutely do not quote me on that.)

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
OHHHHHHHH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKK OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

No, I loved it. S2 is going to be awesome.

Zombie Astronaut Invasion From Outer Space

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Quoting myself in a flipped context:

Only Kindness posted:

OHHHHHHHH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKK OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

No, I loved it. It was obvious something was going on just at the edges. And the Stallings Gang takedown was very satisfying despite its flaws.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Edgerton's such a black hole of non-charisma I feel like I'm getting vertigo and falling into the screen. Somehow he's a producer. The show had better go to the apparently-promised 1000mph next-level-bonkers ASAP if they want to overcome that drag.

Sure, shoot hot-artist-Connelly and not mom-Connelly, why don't you. Great decision. I am being sarcastic, Tim Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Concanstellatiocellened.

Good, I'd rather see Noomi Rapace in something better.