Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2016, refer to archives]

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar
May: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
June: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky
July: Ficcionies by Jorge Luis Borges
August: My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber
September: The Peregrine by J.A. Baker
October: Blackwater Vol. I: The Flood by Michael McDowell
November: Aquarium by David Vann
December: Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight [Author Unknown]

January: Njal's Saga [Author Unknown]
February: The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
March: Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
April: Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio de Maria
May: Lectures on Literature by Vladimir Nabokov
June: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
July: Warlock by Oakley Hall
August: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott
September: The Magus by John Fowles
October: I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
November: Arcadia by Tom Stoppard
December: Christmas Stories by Charles Dickens

2019:
January: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
February: BEAR by Marian Engel
March: V. by Thomas Pynchon
April: The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout
May: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
June: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann
July: The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
August: Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay
September:Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
October: Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a9YU1SVbSE

Current: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WP7SZFB/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Or if it is out of copyright in your country: https://archive.org/details/maltesefalcon01hamm

About the book:

quote:

The Maltese Falcon is a 1930 detective novel by American writer Dashiell Hammett, originally serialized in the magazine Black Mask beginning with the September 1929 issue. The story is told entirely in external third-person narrative; there is no description whatever of any character's internal thoughts or feelings, only what they say and do, and how they look. The novel has been adapted several times for the cinema.

quote:

The Maltese Falcon may or may not be a work of genius, but an art which is capable of it is not 'by hypothesis' incapable of anything. Once a detective story can be as good as this, only the pedants will deny that it could be even better.

-- Raymond Chandler, "The Simple Art of Murder"

quote:

Raymond Chandler, who has yet to appear in this series, once said: “Hammett is all right. I give him everything. There were a lot of things he could not do, but what he did, he did superbly.” He added, in a summary that helps define Hammett’s achievement: “He was spare, frugal, hard-boiled, but he did over and over again what only the best writers can ever do at all. He wrote scenes that seemed never to have been written before.” He also gave his characters a distinctive language and convincing motivations in a genre that had grown stereotyped, flaccid and uninvolving.

Raymond Chandler, who owes so much to Hammett, deserves the last word. He said of The Maltese Falcon: “If you can show me 20 books written approximately 20 years back that have as much guts and life now, I’ll eat them between slices of Edmund Wilson’s head.” Nearly 100 years later, the “guts and life” of Hammett’s prose still puts some of his etiolated heirs to shame.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/29/100-best-novels-the-maltese-falcon-dashiell-hammett-sam-spade-raymond-chandler

About the Author(s)

Dashiell Hammett!

quote:

Samuel Dashiell Hammett (/dəˈʃiːl ˈhæmɪt/;[2] May 27, 1894 – January 10, 1961) was an American author of hard-boiled detective novels and short stories. He was also a screenwriter and political activist. Among the enduring characters he created are Sam Spade (The Maltese Falcon), Nick and Nora Charles (The Thin Man), and the Continental Op (Red Harvest and The Dain Curse).

Hammett "is now widely regarded as one of the finest mystery writers of all time".[3] In his obituary in The New York Times, he was described as "the dean of the... 'hard-boiled' school of detective fiction."[4] Time magazine included Hammett's 1929 novel Red Harvest on its list of the 100 best English-language novels published between 1923 and 2005.[5] His novels and stories also had a significant influence on films, including the genres of private-eye/detective fiction, mystery thrillers, and film-noir.

. . .

During the 1950s, Hammett was investigated by Congress. He testified on March 26, 1953, before the House Un-American Activities Committee about his own activities, but refused to cooperate with the committee. No official action was taken, but his stand led to his being blacklisted, along with others who were blacklisted as a result of McCarthyism.

quote:

Although Hammett himself worked for a time as a private detective for the Pinkerton Detective Agency in San Francisco (and used his given name, Samuel, for the story's protagonist), Hammett asserted that "Spade has no original. He is a dream man in the sense that he is what most of the private detectives I worked with would like to have been, and, in their cockier moments, thought they approached."[1]

Hammett reportedly drew upon his years as a detective in creating many of the other characters for The Maltese Falcon, which reworks elements from two of his stories published in Black Mask magazine in 1925, "The Whosis Kid" and "The Gutting of Couffignal".[2] The novel was serialized in five parts in Black Mask in 1929 and 1930 before being published in book form in 1930 by Alfred A. Knopf.

Themes

Noir. Trust. Sex. Race.

quote:

Of course film noir was waiting to be born. It was already there in the novels of Dashiell Hammett, who wrote The Maltese Falcon, and the work of Raymond Chandler, James M. Cain, John O'Hara and the other boys in the back room. “Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean,” wrote Chandler, and that was true of his hero Philip Marlowe (another Bogart character). But it wasn't true of Hammett's Sam Spade, whowasmean, and who set the stage for a decade in which unsentimental heroes talked tough and cracked wise.

quote:

To describe the plot in a linear and logical fashion is almost impossible. That doesn't matter. The movie is essentially a series of conversations punctuated by brief, violent interludes. It's all style. It isn't violence or chases, but the way the actors look, move, speak and embody their characters. Under the style is attitude: Hard men, in a hard season, in a society emerging from Depression and heading for war, are motivated by greed and capable of murder. For an hourly fee, Sam Spade will negotiate this terrain. Everything there is to know about Sam Spade is contained in the scene where Bridget asks for his help and he criticizes her performance: “You're good. It's chiefly your eyes, I think--and that throb you get in your voice when you say things like, 'be generous, Mr. Spade.' “ He always stands outside, sizing things up. Few Hollywood heroes before 1941 kept such a distance from the conventional pieties of the plot.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-maltese-falcon-1941

Apart from the obvious:

quote:

Sam Spade uses the word “gunsel” three times in reference to Wilmer, the hitman who works for Kasper Gutman, a.k.a. the Fat Man. Hammett used the same word in his novel, but only after his editor objected to the word he used first: "catamite," which is a young man kept by an older man for sexual purposes. While Hammett's novel identified Cairo (Peter Lorre’s character) as a homosexual and hinted at it for Wilmer and Gutman, this term was considered too explicit. Hammett replaced it with "gunsel," which his editor assumed meant “gunslinger” or some such. But it didn't. Gunsel—from the Yiddish word for "little goose," and passed along in American hobo culture—was merely a synonym for "catamite," but was too new to be familiar. Hammett got away with it in the book, and it slipped past the Production Code censors when it popped up in the screenplay. Because of Hammett's usage, the word came to take on "gunman" as a secondary meaning. But make no mistake, it wasn't Wilmer's possession of a firearm that Sam Spade was referring to.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/76041/13-mysterious-facts-about-maltese-falcon

quote:

The following year, Hammett released “The Maltese Falcon,” with its iconic, white private detective, Sam Spade.

Marlowe claimed that Spade’s first name was an homage to him, and that the character’s surname was Hammett’s “winking inside joke,” because “spade” was a derogatory term for a black person, Marlowe Jr. told Ransil.

https://graphics.latimes.com/finding-marlowe/

Pacing

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Materials

The Simple Art of Murder, by Raymond Chandler: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b62d/a95d1fc9b94589375d364f3259f25c45ad8a.pdf

"The Mystery of the Maltese Falcon," an investigation into whether or not the various movie prop falcons are "real"

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/02/mystery-of-the-maltese-falcon

And of course the film. What are you doing here? Go watch it! Then read the book. Or the other way around!

Suggestions for Future Months

These threads aren't just for discussing the current BOTM; If you have a suggestion for next month's book, please feel free to post it in the thread below also. Generally what we're looking for in a BotM are works that have

1) accessibility -- either easy to read or easy to download a free copy of, ideally both

2) novelty -- something a significant fraction of the forum hasn't already read

3) discussability -- intellectual merit, controversiality, insight -- a book people will be able to talk about.

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
I don't want to post the whole thing here - or even heavily excerpt it - to give people a chance to read it themselves, but the first 4 pages of Chapter 7 (G In The Air) have always gotten a visceral reaction from me. I think there's a very important philosophical point there that I can't quite explain fully.

...so y'all lemme know when you get there and we can bounce it back and forth.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Man, I haven't read this in ages. I guess I have another re-read coming up.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Yeah, nice pick, time to re-read this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
just for reference:

quote:

$100 in 1941 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $1,746.66 in 2019, a difference of $1,646.66 over 78 years.

So when she pays them $200 right at the beginning for a one day tail, she's paying more like $3,000 today. A lot of money for a day's work.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quote:

hey rode half a dozen blocks in silence. The chauffeur said: "Your partner got knocked off, didn't he, Mr. Spade?"
"Uh-huh."
The chauffeur clucked. "She's a tough racket. You can have it for mine."
"Well, hack-drivers don't live forever."
"Maybe that's right," the thick-set man conceded, "but, just the same, it'll always be a surprise to me if I don't."»

quote:

However, before Hammett and Shaw had become such buddies, Hammett wrote a story which contained an expression that gave Shaw quite a jolt. He deleted it from the manuscript and wrote Hammett a chiding letter to the effect that Black Mask would never publish vulgarities of any sort.

Hammett promptly wrote a story in which he laid a deliberate trap for Joe Shaw.

One of the characters in the story, meeting another one, asked him what he was doing these days, and the other shamefacedly admitted that he was “on the gooseberry lay.”

Had the editor known it, this meant simply that the character was making his living by stealing clothes from clotheslines, preferably on a Monday morning. The expression goes back to the old days of the tramp who from time to time needed a few pennies to buy food. He would wait until the housewife had put out her wash; then he would descend on the clothesline, pick up an armful of clothes, and scurry away to sell them.

Shaw had the reaction which Hammett had expected. He wrote Hammett telling him that he was deleting the “gooseberry lay” from the story, that Black Mask would never publish anything like that. But he left the word “gunsel” because Hammett had used it so casually that Shaw took it for granted that the word pertained to a hired gunman. Actually, “gunsel,” or “gonzel,” is a very naughty word with no relation whatever to a bodyguard, a gunman, or a torpedo.

What happened?

All of the writers of the hard-boiled school of realism started talking about a gunsel as the equivalent of a gunman. The usage has persisted. Recently, a magazine of national circulation, featuring the death of a gunman, described it on the cover as “The Short, Bitter Life of a Gunsel.”

A few years ago, I read a book purportedly written by a man who enjoyed a firsthand contact with the underworld, a story of stark realism. The author continually referred to the gunmen as “gunsels.”

It has been at least thirty-five years since Dashiell Hammett played his little joke on Captain Joseph Shaw, but the aftereffects of that joke are still seen in American murder stories.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Going to be reading the original serialized version of the Maltese Falcon published by Black Mask magazine, thanks to The Black Lizard Big Book Of Black Mask Stories @2010. According to Otto Penzler, editor of the Black Lizard imprint anthology....

quote:

The book was dramatically revised after serialization, with more than two thousand textual differences between the two versions. Some of the changes were made by copy editors at Knopf but the majority appear to have been made by Hammett himself...

So looks like my reading experience will be a slightly different experience than others in this thread.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 13, 2019

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I have both versions: it would be neat to compare the two. I might break out the Black Mask version after I finish the novel version. Just a few initial thoughts as I make my way through the first few chapters.

It's so drat hard to hear Hammett in his own voice without having the movie overwrite most of it (I rarely watch movies more than once, but I must have seen the Bogart version a good half-dozen times). You get a line in the text like "Shoo her in, darling," said Spade. "Shoo her in." and there's no dialogue tags, just (easily interpreted) context, but Bogart's slightly comical eagerness as he delivers it comes through loud and clear in my mind.

Hammett best comes out on his own in the non-dialogue parts, of course, but also in the bits the Hays Code censors would hit.
"You killed my husband, Sam, be kind to me". He clapped his palms together and said: "Jesus Christ".

When the police visit Spade after his partner is killed, you get a long-since cliched scene of the police brass warning the PI that one day he's going to go too far. The original Falcon story ran in 1929-30: I have a decent pulp collection, but only one issue from before that date, and it doesn't have any PI stuff in it, so I don't know if such a scene was already cliched in 1930, or if Hammett was one of the major figures that made it so.

"He was quite six feet tall".
It's interesting, because you only ever see that formulation today in the negative: "he was not quite six feet tall".

"I'd as lief not have him not have him think there's something anything to be kept quiet."
"lief" was not a word I was familiar with; I'm sure I thought it was a typo the first time I read this.

"The upper part of his face frowned. The lower part smiled."
That's some trick.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 13, 2019

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Definitely found Sam Spade saccharine in comparison to Hammett's earlier "zero fucks given" Continental Op private detective character when I first read Maltese Falcon (novel version), going to see how that holds up on a re-read. And going to see how Spade holds up in comparison to the other 49 or so crime fiction stories in the Black Lizard-Black Mask anthology.

4 chapters into the serialized version of MF, less detailed clothing descriptions vs the novel, are the biggest changes I've detected between the two versions so far.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

quantumfoam posted:

Definitely found Sam Spade saccharine in comparison to Hammett's earlier "zero fucks given" Continental Op private detective character when I first read Maltese Falcon (novel version), going to see how that holds up on a re-read.

I would think not well. Spade gives very few fucks in the Maltese Falcon (consider the manipulation included in all his personal relationships and how willing he is to make sure whoever takes the fall in the end isn't him, whether the fall guy is guilty or not).

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished the Black Mask original version of Maltese Falcon.
Spade was definitely saccharine with his secretary Effie Perine, but that was about it.
Biggest difference with the more well-known book version of Maltese Falcon was the 1/2 page of story recap that headed off each new months installment of the serialized Maltese Falcon story, slightly less ornate descriptions, and a note from the editor that comes off as adorable decades after the fact.

quote:

To our readers:
I read this story just as you have read it -- installment by installment. When I got this far I was just as uncertain as you are how the story comes out, or who killed Archer and Thursby. I had ideas, of course, just as you probably have. It wasn't until, practically speaking, the very last word of the last installment (the installment you will read next -- in the January issue) that I knew the answer; and it took me completely by surprise.
As a matter of fact, when I finished reading the last installment I was breathless and almost overwhelmed. In all of my experience I have never read a story as intense, as gripping or as powerful as this last installment. It is a magnificent piece of writing: with all the earnestness of which I am capable I tell you not to miss it.
THE EDITOR

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 13, 2019

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Finally finished up what I was reading to get back into this one. I haven't re-read Hammett in ages. It's probably inconsequential, but since version came up, I'll be reading from The Library of America's Hammett: Complete Novels. It's apparently the 1930 first printing as a novel.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Dashiell Hammett is perhaps one of my favourite authors, but I'm going to take an unpopular opinion stance and say that The Maltese Falcon is perhaps my least favourite of his novels (my favourite being Red Harvest). I read this book for the first time only a year ago but I remember being kind of soured by just how... cool Sam is. I got used to the unsentimental Continental Op and his crew. Spade isn't exactly sentimental either but there's something in the narrative voice that surrounds him that feels... I'm not sure how to put my finger on it, but he felt more untouchable than the Op ever did.

That said, Spade does unravel pretty spectacularly in the last few chapters in a way he never did in the movie. I got used to him being the smartest, most prepared guy in the room, so it was interesting when he started to lose his grip on the situation.

Anyway, it's still a fantastic book. I really enjoyed this thread, especially the 'gunsel' trivia, which I've never heard before. loving amazing that the Yiddish slang for 'twink' became a synonym for yegg.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
The Flitcraft story that Spade tells to O’Shaughnessy as they wait for Joel Cairo to show up is rather odd. I can't understand what purpose it serves, though I've seen several attempts to justify it. It's in the Black Mask original so it's not filler added to bulk up the novel, but it really feels like filler, especially in such an otherwise economical story, and I can see why Huston axed it.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Xotl posted:

The Flitcraft story that Spade tells to O’Shaughnessy as they wait for Joel Cairo to show up is rather odd. I can't understand what purpose it serves, though I've seen several attempts to justify it. It's in the Black Mask original so it's not filler added to bulk up the novel, but it really feels like filler, especially in such an otherwise economical story, and I can see why Huston axed it.

Feel that it was a sort of a spoiler to the entire story plotwise, and would have telegraphed the ending of the movie if it was included. People don't really change, even if they think they did
O’Shaughnessy was always going to use men as stupid meat-shields and lie-lie-lie when asked questions.
Cairo was always going to be untrustworthy, and triple-cross.
Gutman was always going to think himself above the law/smarter than everyone else and underestimate people.
The tiny guy was always going to "explode" at whatever angered him.
Spade was always going to look out for his best interests.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Xotl posted:

The Flitcraft story that Spade tells to O’Shaughnessy as they wait for Joel Cairo to show up is rather odd.

That's my favorite bit. As quantumfoam notes below, it does telegraph the ending, but it also translates Robert Browning (your ghost will walk, you lover of trees...in an English lane) into noir. People can and will get used to anything.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I've always read it as a comment on the Falcon itself. The Falcon is this extraordinary lightning bolt everyone thinks will change their lives forever. But it won't change what any of them are.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Just finished and it's been awhile, but Spade is way too casual about leaving guns with untrustworthy people. The big reveal in the last chapter was something he had to have realized earlier, but strung along anyways. Why not just tip the cops on the whole thing and cut loose there? Why risk the gunplay, druggings, beatings, etc?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Just finished it myself. Reading it I'm left with a lot of admiration for Huston for the way he edited things. It's no L.A. Confidential editing (it didn't need to be), but he really did know how to cut just right.

It's interesting how he seems to have heavily altered the ending after getting underway, if the supposed script I've found online is to be trusted. That script has the mention of Gutman being killed, and the end scene being Iva showing up at the office just like the novel. Both cut the extra bits about how Archer was someone Spade hated from the start and was even looking to get rid of, however. I think I like that cut. It's clear through subtler mentions that Spade didn't like Archer; we didn't need to have it shoved in our faces.

And for all that the movie used pretty much just novel lines, I had forgotten that the legendary closing line wasn't in the book.

Now I'm going to have to revisit Red Harvest.

EDIT: A story I came across as to why the movie is so faithful to the original text (The Library Quarterly, 1974):

quote:

There is a well-known anecdote about the scripting of the 1941 film version of Dashiell Hammett's archetypal hard-boiled detective novel. John Huston, then a scriptwriter at Warner Brothers, convinced studio head Jack Warner to allow him to direct a third film version of The Maltese Falcon. Warner gave his consent with the stipulation that Huston work up an acceptable script for the project before he gave his final approval. The aspiring young director was to work with veteran writer Allen Rivkin on the scenario. The two scriptwriters decided that the most logical first step in the process of turning Hammett's novel into cinematic form would be to have their secretary type up the dialogue from the book, dividing it into scenes as it seemed appropriate.

The secretary followed her instructions faithfully. However, upon completing the manuscript, she sent it not to Huston and Rivkin but, by accident, to Warner himself. Warner, ironically enough, was delighted with this "adaptation." He called Huston into his office and insisted that the film be put into production at the earliest possible moment. Huston was astonished but hardly inclined to protest. So the unfortunate Allen Rivkin lost out on a potentially interesting writing assignment and John Huston prepared to direct a script which was undoubtedly among the most faithful adaptations of a fictional work in the history of cinema.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 20, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ben Nevis posted:

Just finished and it's been awhile, but Spade is way too casual about leaving guns with untrustworthy people. The big reveal in the last chapter was something he had to have realized earlier, but strung along anyways. Why not just tip the cops on the whole thing and cut loose there? Why risk the gunplay, druggings, beatings, etc?

I think that's partly because Spade is just that cool and badass and cool guys don't look at explosions, partly because Spade is slapdash and sloppy and not as competent as he presents himself to be, and partly because Spade, like everyone else, was trying to get rich.

It's easy to forget but when Gutman promises him $10,000, that's about $175,000 in today's money.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Need suggestions for next month. Right now I'm thinking Moby Dick.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Spade was definitely a low-grade fuckup like his dead business partner Miles Archer.
Besides that, almost everyone should be able to agree: Effine Perine needed a raise.

Suggesting one of Mary Roach's non-fiction books for next's months BotM.
Any of them would work, however I'm specifically nominating Mary Roach's Packing for Mars.

e: Also, was I the only one who had to look up what excelsior the physical material was when reading the Maltese Falcon?

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 22, 2019

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

quantumfoam posted:

e: Also, was I the only one who had to look up what excelsior the physical material was when reading the Maltese Falcon?

No: I had to as well. It sounded like some sort of Stan Lee mustache wax or something.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

quantumfoam posted:

Xotl posted:

No: I had to as well. It sounded like some sort of Stan Lee mustache wax or something.

I didn't. I had already looked it up from reading Nero Wolfe.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I love reading these and coming across that stuff, like looking up "majolica" when you read Chandler.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I just assumed it was another word for used newspaper.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just assumed it was another word for used newspaper.

Nope!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_wool

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/beatonna/status/1200888871174709249?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Unless something or someone changes my mind in the next 36 hours, it'll be MOBY DICK for December. BIG WHALE ENERGY

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thought one of the goals of SomethingAwful BotM was to alternate between fiction and non-fiction every so often.
Hard pass on Moby Dick, at least for me. Repeating my solitary vote for Mary Roach's Packing for Mars.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ladies and gentlemen, on the one hand we have moby dick and on the other we have some dumbass pop science crapola from a bestseller list.. the choice is yours

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
How about a happy compromise: Mutiny on the Bounty Trilogy. Books 1 & 2 have hot naval action and travelling to the unknown, book 3 takes you to the remote space colony of Pitcairn's Island.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
How about Moby-Dick?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quantumfoam posted:

Thought one of the goals of SomethingAwful BotM was to alternate between fiction and non-fiction every so often.
Hard pass on Moby Dick, at least for me. Repeating my solitary vote for Mary Roach's Packing for Mars.

It is, or rather just general variety is, but right now I'm crazy busy and so I'm basically picking greatest hits because I keep forgetting to put up a poll in time. I'll do a nonfiction poll for January.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Voting for Moby Dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I'd do Moby Dick. Hard pass on Packing for Mars.