Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Welcome everyone, to Kenshi! In this narrative SSLP we are following our main character, a Skeleton named Dr. Boom. Waking up in the middle of nowhere after hundreds of years he's forgotten most things, except a burning desire for wiping out humanity! Thus our goal will be to disrupt human society in every way possible and estabilish a mighty robot empire. But first...

What exactly is Kenshi?

Kenshi is a true Sandbox RPG in a post apocalyptic world with a strong stylistic influence of feudal japan. You have a pre existing world with factions, biomes and all sorts of places to explore. However, there is no set goal, no win state or even a lose state. The game does not care about you or treat you special in any way or form. Even if everyone in your controlled squad dies, the game does not quit, you simply can't move the camera around anymore.

You start off the game choosing from several different game starts, ranging from a squad of five nobodies to a guy with a dog or even a slave start. What you do with your game is up to you. But what exacly CAN you do?

You can control up to 30 people (without mods) at once, the default max squad size is 20. Or you can play solo, depending on how you want to do. Your characters start off very, very weak and will improve by using their skills. This means if you survive encounters with hostiles you will become, tougher, stronger, faster. If you don't bleed out in the desert that is. How you play is up to you. You can explore the world, plunder ancient ruins, build your own town anywhere you want, run drug smugglign operations, play as nomadic bandits or just crazy murderers. Influence the world by kidnapping or killing important leaders. Ally with big players or just antagonize everyone, it's up to you!

Gameplay
The game itself is is controlled from a RTS style camera, which can automatically follow one of your characters. You can zoom out pretty far and pause the game with space bar. You can speed up the game clock up to triple speed, but this has to be used with caution because it can kill your characters easily if you don't pay attention. You can give your characters orders and set up several simple automated tasks for bases etc.

There are several races playable in Kenshi, all with different advantages and disadvantages! Here's a quick summary:

Humans: Humans come in two flavors in Kenshi, Scorchlander and Greenlander. Scorchlanders are dark skinned and excel in crafting and have a dexterity Bonus. Greenlanders are pretty boring and have no real advantages but also no disadvantages

Shek: Shek are purple-skinned humanoids with bony horny protuding from their faces, back and elbows. They also have bone plates covering their skin. They are natural born warriors, having higher hitpoints and aptitude for combat related skills. They eat more however.

Hivers: Hivers are Humanoids with an insectoid influence. There are three kinds of Hivers playable, Princes, Warriors drones and worker drones. Princes are your "rogues". They are adept in all kinds of stealth and shady related skills. They are fast but squishy. Worker drones excel at all tasks requiring manual labor, but have slightly lower hp than princes, except their head. Warrior drones are very sturdy with a bonus to toughness and combat skills. All hivers can't wear shoes, warriors also cant wear helmets but compensate for that with exceptionally high hitpoints for their head.

Skeletons: Skeletons are robotic humanoids that have been around for a very long time. They are the rarest of all races in Kenshi and also the most secretive. Unlike meatbags Skeletons do not need to eat and need special repair kits to heal themselves. However, they have exceptionally high hitpoints and can walk underwater instead of needing to swim. And they are immune to all negative weather effects of course.

The world of Kenshi

The world of Kenshi is set on a large content surrounded by a wide ocean. The world itself is a tide locked moon, nothing however is known about the planet that this moon is orbiting. The island itself is very large and has a huge amount of biomes/areas to visit, all with unique visual flavor or other quirks. The world is inhabited by the races mentioned earlier and all kinds of creatures and animals. A lot of them will be hostile, however not all of them of course. There are three main factions that have a huge influence on the world of Kenshi.

The Holy Nation

The holy Nation lives in the western/central region of the Island and controls a huge area of green farmland. It is inhabited by Humans only, due to the Holy Nation being a group of religous Zealots. They worship the god Okran and require you to always carry their bible with you. Living in the Holy Nation is very safe and secure... if you fall in their narrow window of what they perceive as the only pure beings, namely human males. The Holy Nation hate other races, they hate technology and they hate women. Led by "The holy Phoenix" who is selected from the first born male child after the last Phoenix died, the Holy Nation is leading a crusade to protect the world from another extinction event... by killing everyone they think is a danger to the human race. They run a death camp in the northern mountains called "Rebirth" where they force Shek and dissidents to work until they die, so they can be reborn as good Okranites in their next life. The Holy Nation is at war with the Shek Kingdom and views them as brute savages. They hate skeletons more than anything in the world and will attack you on sight if you have any in your party.

The Shek Kingdom

The Shek Kingdom is the smallest of the three big players, but still very strong. Their lands are to the south of the Holy Nation. The Shek are a nation or proud, honorable warriors who live and die for a good fight. They view all non Shek as weaklings and beneath them and only respect strength. When a Shek grows old, they are transferred to "The last stand" and eventually go off to seek a honorable death in combat in the deserts of Arach. In their belief you can only reach the afterlife if you die in combat. They employ a caste system where those deemed unfit for combat have to life their life as servants. The Shek are so into combat and fighting that their current leader had to challenge the previous ruler to a duel to the death to stop them from going extinct by enforcing a strict non aggression law.

The United Cities

The United Cities are the largest Faction in the world of Kenshi. Populated by a mixture of all races, the UC spans the entirety of the great desert in the northeast as well as two cities in the southwest of the island. They are led by a self proclaimed Emperor. The UC could be described as a pure captialist society. Being poor is actually a crime and you can be imprisoned for it! Pretty much everyone in the UC is a corrupt bastard only out for their own gains. Guards will imply you of carrying drugs when you don't. Nobles will hunt you for sport and scheme against each other. The UC also basically relies completely on the slave trade, with their closest allies being the traders guild which runs caravans through the entire land and the slave traders who supply their labor camps. Their Samurai warriors are a mixture of well armored veterans and poorly outfitted conscripts. The UC are currently not at war with anyone, but are under threat from terrorist groups and rebelling peasants who have been evicted from their lands.

Reader interaction
As is tradition, all characters I will recruit after the initial post will be goons! Just let me know that you want a part of our grand scheme to take over the world (hopefully). I'm also thinking of letting readers vote on our big decisions if so desired, like our main allies, who we should attack first etc. Despite our playthrough being themed on Skeletons, I will recruit any race, just be ready that there might be... consequences down the line if you aren't a skeleton!
If you want to be part of the LP, please let me know the following:
- Your characters name
- Desired race/subrace and gender prefix if you have any (for example Male human scorchlander or Hive Soldier, or a skeleton but referred to as she/her)
- If you want you can also include the kind of weapon your character should use.

Thanks for reading so far and let us begin the adventure!

Table of Updates:

Update 1: Awakening
Update 2: Journey to the swamps
Update 3: Fundraiser
Update 4: The battle of the Hub
Update 5: The price of obedience
Update 6: The great desert

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The wall of goons:

Khanstat, recruited in Update 2. Our sneaky shooty Hive Prince.
Angry Lobster, recruited in Update 3.
Verbal Enema aka Verbal, recruited in Update 4.
Artichoke, recruited in Update 5.
Nark0, recruited in Update 5.
Catalina, recruited in Update 5.
Zore, recruited in Update 6.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 26, 2019

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Update 1: Awakening

Reboot complete!

Our Skeleton friend wakes up again, lying with his face in the dirt. Surrounded by junk and rusted hulks, with an endless torrent of rain pouring down on him.

: What.. what is this? Where am I?

Meet the leading character of this Let's Play, Dr. Boom. He doesn't know his name yet, but he's a Skeleton. Skeletons in Kenshi are a race of mechanical creatures that have been created long ago by humans, both to fight wars for them and do their bidding. This human empire eventually collapsed, and the Skeletons took over, starting a second empire. This second empire did not last very long and also collapsed, probably a few hundred years before the game's time. Skeletons cannot be built anymore and are overall the most rare humanoid race in Kenshi.

: Hello? ... great. How long have I've been rebooting this time? It's time for a little system check...

: ?! Where the heck are my limbs? I'm just a clump of metal with a head! This will NOT stand, whoever did this will pay for it! If only I could remember...
: ... Actually I cannot remember anything. Not even my name. Why am I in this godforsaken place, and why do I have no limbs? I must have been stripped for parts and then discarded. I'm just glad they did not touch my CPU it seems.

As our Skeletal friend gets a grip of his surroundings, he suddenly notices a mysterious figure approaching.

:...

Meet our second starting character, Servbot. Servbot is a Hiver, from the southern hive to be Specific. Hivers are a race of humanoids that are pretty close to insect people. They live in a hive-mind society, however if a drone or prince gets "lost" from the hive for long enough they eventually develop a sense of self and are permanently cast out of of the hive, never to return. The southern hive is more xenophobic and warrior-like while the western hive is pretty peaceful and attempts to estabilish itself via trade with Humans, Shek and Skeletons. Servbot is a Warrior Drone to be exact, they excel at combat and have the highest hp of the three hiver classes.

:Hey, who are you? And WHAT the heck are you?
:I'm hive.. but also no hive.
:Hive? What the heck is a hive? ... At least you aren't a goddamn human.. it's all I can remember. Hating the humans who used us, abused us and threw us away. I will fight them until I've turned to rust!
:... you go boom?
: Come again?!
: Your body... no legs, no arms. They go boom?
: Listen, I don't know what kind of imbecile you are, but I do not appreciate you insulting me. Now, will you tell me your name or are you too stupid to understand?
: I have no name...
: Fine then! From now on, you are my Servant. I shall call you Servbot, you should feel honored to become a honorary skeleton my friend! Now if you could be so kind and help me out of this.. mess?

Dr. Boom crawls over to Servbot, if your character has no limbs all they can do is very, very, VERY slowly crawl on the ground. The community approved term for a limbless chararcter is "nugget"

:Okay. I help you, boom!

Servbot picks up Dr. Boom and slings him over his shoulder. At least this will be faster than having him crawl all over the floor for ages.

: Well, this is a rather awkward pose I have to say... but at least I can see where we are going. And if you must call me Boom, at least make it sound a bit more fancy. Like Doctor Boom you know.
:...
: To be honest, I kind of like that name now that I think about it. Very well Servbot, let's actually find out where we are...

Welcome to the Deadlands. This area is pretty much in the middle of the map of Kenshi, and it's an miserable place. The ground is an acidic sludge, quickly melting away all unprotected flesh. The water you see in the screenshots are also pools of pure acid, with acid rain on top. Nothing will grow in this land and it has no resources, other than the scrap laying about.
Servbot luckily is immune to acid, this is a natural trait to hivers. Dr. Boom as a Skeleton is immune to all weather effects.

The duo travels north for a bit, before suddenly coming across the sight of flames in the distance

:! Servbot, are those lights that I see in the distance? Carry me there, at an instant!
:... Okay

As they come closer, we can make out structures and pipework. This is Black Desert City, the settlement of the Skeletons.

The first building we come across has a ... bar sign?! Also, more Skeletons live here!

: A bar?! What kind of place is this... let us search a bit more before we enter this place.
: ...

As we walk past more buildings, a skeleton suddenly starts to berate us.

: Think you've got it tough that decaying body of yours? Try living with a fractured chassis for over 3000 years.
: Don't mind this fool, Servbot, for you are a honorary skeleton.
: I do not understand, but thank you Boom. Err, Dr. Boom.
: And just who are you? You don't even have any limbs. Better head to that place over there...

The duo heads a bit further north to the shop. This is a robotics shop, any building with this sign will have robotic limbs for sale.

: Good to see you again!
: Do we know each other? This is the first time I've ever set foot... got carried... well whatever, the first time I've visited this shop!
: Oh, I'm sorry. I must have confused you with someone else. Seeing as you have suffered quite extensive damage, you have come to the right place my friend.

For some reason the Shopkeeper gave me some dialogue as if I had visited this shop before. Normally he goes on a long tirade about business is good since organics are so flimsy and constantly lose all their limbs and that theres plenty of easy replacements to get. I mean, he's probably not wrong. If a Skeleton ever breaks down and "dies" you can probably just strip them for their limbs and components.

The shop has quite an extensive selection of all kinds of replacement limbs. However, we can't really afford any of this yet, having zero cats (Yes, that's what the money in this game is called) to our name.

: Good sir, your selection is impressive, yet I have to admit that I would need to take a loan to afford anything you have for sale... Could you kindly direct me to someone in that field of work?
: Loan? Are you kidding me? There is nobody in this forsaken world who would give anyone a loan. Not anymore.
: Nevermind then... Servbot, we are leaving!
: Okay!
: Come back when you have some money, friend. We are not a charity after all.

We head over to the bar we saw earlier instead. Inside we see some Skeleton Patrons. Servbot heads over to chat with the Barkeep

: Sorry, we don't sell human food, I hope you brought your own. Need anything else?
: Tell me about this place, good sir.
: There's not a lot to say. We settled here after life grew chaotic on the outisde. But those times were so long ago, no-one here has a clear memory of our days before the city. What we do know is that we're safer here, across acidic ground and hidden way from any warzones.
: The only downside of our isolation is the lack of occupation. Inactivity can be terribly unhealthy to some, both for the mind and the body.
: Just how long have I've been out? I do not remember any of this, nor this city...
: It is okay if Boom not remember. Hive... no, Servbot do not remember anything before leaving hive either.

The barkeep wasn't kidding. All they have for sale is Fuel, electronic parts, Repair kits and... Grog? I guess Alcohol is a valid source of energy for some machines after all.Checking upstairs we find a different looking Skeleton and a hiver warrior sitting around. The hiver has a bounty of 10k on his head and will not speak to us. The Skeleton however, does!

: Great, another Hiver. Are you here to gawk at the defunct XT series?
: You skeleton? I not see skeleton like you before..
: Yeah yeah, stare all you like. I am an XT-MKIII series of Scout models. "The next stage of robotics and the last series you'll ever need." They never mentioned that it was all just fluff text to try and push the new series onto the Empire.. but that was a long time ago.
: The Empire... I heard that name before. But what was it? I just can't remember.
: You're still here? Most drifters don't hang around after having a good stare.
: You there, I am trying to regain what I have lost and I need help. Would you join me?
: Fine, but I want 6000 cats... and new pants. Also why are you having this hiver carry you around?
: Nevermind then. Also you must truly be defective if you cannot see that I am currently missing my limbs
: Whatever, weirdo.

After this unsuccessful attempt we head downstairs and speak with the other Skeleton patron that we actually can talk to.

: Another organic one... Must be the trillionth person I've met, you all blend into one after a few hundred years, whether you're bug eyed, horned or original flavor. Then after a few thousand? I can read you like a book.
: Excuse me, I am Dr. Boom, please do not mind my servant, he is a bit slow in the head. And shy? Perhaps.
: Know how dull that is? Dull enough to make you mope hopelessly in a dead end town while the rest of your kind prattle on about seized sprockets and rusted knees in an endless orgy of ailment resentment... *sigh*
: Aren't you just a barrel of laughs.
: Well sorry for existing, human you people never do last more than a few minutes in conversations with me. If I could shed a tear, believe you me, I would shed a bucket full...
: Excuse me? Are you an imbecile, or are you just ignoring my existence?
: But alas that is the ironic curse of the skeleton. TO cry silently on the inside. The most mournful of creatures, yet born without the means to shed a tear. Oh... I hate my life.
: While I do not disagree entirely, I think you need to get out more friend. How about you come with me?
: I tried going back outside once. It smelled funny and there were far too many flies. Not to mention all the killing and... oh, that's right, the cannibalism. Awful place.
: Maybe you just need a new dream to live for. Or my dream. If i can remember it.
: I've had dreams. None ended well. Dreams are silly things. I wouldn't recommend them.
: Just work for me, friend. I can show you excitement, give you goals.
: I hate excitement.
: Ah, go on then...
: I'll join you. But only because I'm weak and give in easily to peer pressure.. *Sigh*

You and me both buddy :unsmith:

Meet Sadneil, our third member of the group! Sadneil is a skeleton recruit and can always be found sitting in Black Desert Citys bar. He has no price or requirement, just keep talking to him and he'll give in to that peer pressue. Speaking of, let's check everyones stats.

As we can see, Dr. Boom, having been resting in a scrap heap for however long did not do wonders for him. All his stats are at zero. Sadneil starts with all stats at 0 with a +/- variance of 3. I gave Servbot a baseline of 10 for all the main combat stats. I have no idea where he picked up the crossbow smithing htough.

A quick info about the Stats:
Strength: Carry weight and Martial Arts damage. If your STR is too low to use certain weapons you also get an attack speed penalty.
Toughness: How much damage you take and where your KO point is. If your main body parts (head, chest, stomach) go under this KO point you will go into a coma until youre healed up.
Dexterity: Attack speed. Pretty much all it does, it changes your attack and block speed rating.
Perception: Accuracy with ranged weapons.

If you want me to, I can go in depth more about the rest of the stats too! Everything you do in Kenshi gets improved by use. So dexterity swing your weapons more, toughness means get hit etc.

As we head out of the bar a skeleton remarks at the lack of feet regarding Servbot. It's true, Hiver do not have feet and can not wear any shoes! They have these weird stilt/hoof legs that look a bit hard to balance on frankly.

: We didn't have footless humans back in my day...
: I can relate, friend. I am as confused as you are.
: But Servbot have legs. That count, right?
: It's not like you have either, Mr. Boom.
: Silence! And I am Dr. Boom, let's not forget!
: Whatever.

The party heads east and sees a rather massive structure across a rickety bridge.

: What is that? it is massive.
: Oh that? It's the scraphouse. Some old husk. Nobody remembers what it is or was, the inside was cleared out long ago. Quin and Dack run their shop in there.
: Very well, let us check out the shop! Onward, Servbot.
: Okay
: Not like we have any money, y'know.
: Oh, shush.

Outside the scrapyard we see several skeletons patrolling around. This is probably because of the wandering recruits mod I'm using. These spawn several faction related squads in an area that always have 1-2 people you can recruit with money. Very handy, but if you think this makes things too easy, I will turn it off. It has some weird interactions as we will see shortly.

The inside of the scraphouse is huge and mostly empty. There is a small production facily set up in the middle.

: Why does everyone ignore me? Everyone wants to talk to Servbot only...
: They probably just think you're scrap to be sold, y'know. Having no limbs and all.
: Shut up. It's not like you're in any better state than me.
: At least I can still walk.

: Maybe he meant this human?

Yep, thats what I meant with weird interactions. For some reason the squads of wandering skeletons dont contain only skeletons but also humans. Given that this poor sod is wearing no protective gear and pants means he's in for a bad time in the deadlands.

:How many times have I told you to clear out this junk, Dack? You're a hoarder...
: This again?... I already told you, I'd handle it. You really are an incessant nag...
: Nag? NAG?... are you... really calling me the N-Word, Dack? You know what happens when someone calls me that. Maybe I just just torch all this junk that's cluttering this place.
: *Gasp*... You would never do such a thing...
: Better to be a pyromaniac than to be a 'nag', wouldn't you say?
: Are you two imbeciles done bickering with each other?
: Sorry about that. Welcome and please excuse the mess. Anything shiny, Dack hoards. A simpleton really. I'm sure his mind was fried when he got hit on the head back during the chaos age. Trying times I'm sure you remember.
: Chaos age? ... I've heard before, But I can't remember. Why is that I wonder.
: Old magazines, fragments of old wreckages, funny shaped rocks.. we don't have anything of much use here but then, of course, one man's junk is another man's treasure. So how can I help you?
: Show me what you've got.

Welcome to the scraphouse shop. It's the best weapon shop in the game, but also the most expensive. the prices go up all the way depending on the weapon and quality. Of course this is far out of our current reach.

: Humans make me nervous, Quin. Why are they in the Black Desert? Why has their feet not melted off? And where did I put my hacksaw?
: .. it's in your hand, Dack. You know your CPU is starting to get real fried. You're going to go crazy as Cat-Lon if you don't have a reset soon.
: Cat-Lon?... ... That name. I've heard it before. But I still can't remember!

Leaving the scraphouse, our trio comes across an iron spider. Iron spiders are the only hostile lifeform that is wandering about this zone. They are old security machines that have gone haywire and attack anyone on sight. They have a solid HP pool and would obilterate our party, best to stay away for now.

Walking a few steps further, we come across the same human guy from the scraphouse. He's not looking good, his hitpoints on his legs have gone down in the negatives and he's crawling now.

: Human... okay? Seem hurt
: Ignore the fool. He came here without thinking, how he must suffer the consequences.

Turns out the human had another human buddy in his squad who had been hanging out outside for longer. His Leg hitpoints went so far down into the negatives that they just popped off! Both at once even. Kenshi, ladies and gentlemen.

Checking our map, we see the blue dot as the position of our party. The arrow is the camera position. Sadneil wants us to go a bit to the southeast from the scraphouse. Oh also all the lakes are acid too of course.

: Boss, I know we're short on everything, but I think I know a place we could head to first. A friend of mine I haven't talked to in... a long, long time, see he he had this place we could check out first. Maybe he can help us.
: It's hard to imagine you have any friends, Sadneil. But very well, let us head there at once!

Luckily we do not need to fear the acid lakes. While Servbot has to swim on the surface, Sadneil just walks underwater like a boss. Skeletons rule.

Aside from the constant acid rain you sometimes you get these lightning strikes which light up the entire area aroudn them for a short moment with incredible brightness. Luckily they're visual only, so it's completely harmless for us!

After a short walk we arrive at the place Sadneil recommended.

: This is where you wanted us to go? I don't want to be rude, but this place is a dump.
: Uhh.. sorry bout that boss. This actually used to be a pretty big lab. Well, used to. Sucks to be us I guess?
: Big place went boom too. But look, shiny!

Servbot is not wrong. All around the ruined building are a scattering of different kinds of materials, including some very, very valuable skeleton repair kits which we both can sell for lots of money and use to repair our skeleton pals. Unlike Fleshy Humanoids Skeletons need special robotic repair kits to heal their damage. Or a repair bed. These are pretty rare overall though.

We start grabbing all of the materials worth bringing with us.

: Make sure to grab what we can! After all we need cats. Lots of them.
: Okay boss.
: Aww, how adorable. He's calling you boss too now, boss.
: I care not for it, just make sure you don't leave anything valuable behind, got it?
: Right right... well, you carry some of it too boss.
: How?! I DON'T HAVE ANY HANDS.
: Don't worry, we'll find some space to shove those items.
: I hate you.
: Me too.

After we grab everything we can carry, we make our way back to Black Desert City. On the way back we come across... a human caravan?

Yeahh, this has to be a mod issue too. Normally the traders guild would NOT make their caravans go through this area, but I think the world mod im using removed most "no go" zones for factions which means caravans can try and go through here too. Sucks for this guy, he's not wearing any shoes! They mainly sell food stuff and research books and some farming materials.

Back in the City a philosophical Skeleton speaks to us.

: I very much agree with the second part of that statement.

Going back into the bar to sell some items we again hear the name Cat-Lon being mentioned... Also the bar is full with a wandering skeletons squad. They occassionally stop in the bar to chill. :unsmith:

: Tinfist and Cat-Lon made a great team...
: And now Tinfist fights a losing cause for the humans...
: While Cat-Lon disappeared into thin air...
: What happened?

We don't get an answer to that. But now we heard a second name mentioned, Tinfist.

: Cat-Lon again. And Tinfist? These names... I know them, but yet I can't recall anything about them. Just who did I use to be? And who are they?
: Bossman, is your brain fried or something? How can you not know Cat-Lon? Or Tinfist?
: Well, why don't you fill me in then Mr. Smartypants?
: Nah, not feeling up for that right now. Maybe later.
: I really hate you.
: Thanks.

After this ominous exchange we go ahead and sell all our collected loot and make 14210 cats! Not bad. I kept one skeleton repair-kit. Time to head back to the robotics shop...

: Let's see, what we can do with this.
: Just make sure that Servbot doesn't have to carry me anymore. I'm frankly getting sick of this inverted view!
: You heavy boss. Servbot needs break.
: Robots dont need breaks, you imbecile. But soon you shall be granted some relief, don't worry
: Hmmm hmm... I guess this will have to do. Hold still boss while we attach these...

: Are you kidding me? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Two legs? Is this the best we could do?
: Sorry bossman, these limbs are expensive. It's not like we got a pity discount.
: At least boss can walk now. That's good, right?
: Always the optimist I see. Good for you Servbot.
: You two should be happy that I do not have any ARMS I could strangle you with. Instead I will have to kick your asses!
: Hate to break to you boss, the only alternative was buying some of those shoddy economy limbs y'know. At least now you run fast? Like really fast?
: Sighhh.. I Guess this will have to do for now.

The legs I bought for Dr. Boom were two standard grade Scout legs. They give bonuses to athletics, letting Dr. Boom run really fast compared to Sadneil, even with no athletics skill.

: Well then, servants. We must venture out and find more things to sell. Or mug someone. After all my goals won't be reached by sitting around idly.
: If boss says, I will smash and kill.
: Now that's the spirit Servbot! You will make it far, I can tell that.
: *Sigh*

And with that we leave our (somewhat) incompetent trio for today. What will await our adventurers next? Will Dr. Boom realize his dream of eradicating humanity and bringing back the Skeletons to glory or will we die in a ditch, beaten and bruised? Only time can tell.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Put me in as a skeleton dude hell yeah and ill use an axe sweet

oh uh just put my name as verbal

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This game has been on my wishlist for ages, I'm not even sure what it's all about, just now it's up my alley and seems weird as hell.

Toss me in as one of them bug boys. My life for the swarm!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Sign me up boss, any race is fine.

All hail our new robot overlord.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
Yeah! I didn't get a chance to join in on the previous Kenshi LP, so I'm all up for robots!

Set me up as a female identifying skeleton named Nark0, just to anger those Holy Nation fools. Hand her a sabre or a heavy weapon so I can take up a frontline position.

Epochol
Mar 19, 2009

Oh boy a Kenshi LP.

Sign me up as a Skeleton Bro who bust out kung fu moves.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Khanstant posted:

This game has been on my wishlist for ages, I'm not even sure what it's all about, just now it's up my alley and seems weird as hell.

Toss me in as one of them bug boys. My life for the swarm!

It is definitely weird, janky and a mess, but also hell of a lot of fun!

I probably should also list the weapons available:

Martial arts: Kung fu unarmed moves. Hard to train at first but gets rather strong
Heavy Weapons: The big heavy hitters. Require high str to use successfully
Hackers: Weapons that have balanced cut/blunt damage and armor penetration.
Sabers: Defensive bladed weapons , rather lightweight
HANZO STEEL err Katanas: Low weight weapons with high cut damage, terrible against robots and armored foes.
:420: or blunt: Weapons that require intense strength and do mainly blunt type damage. Usually terrible with very few exceptions.
Crossbows: the only ranged weapon class in the game. Shoot your friends in the back, shoot enemies in the back!
Edit: Polearms as well! Though theyre all slashy, no pokey spears.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 6, 2019

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Loved the previous Kenshi LP, excited to see this one. Would be very happy to sign up as a skeleton

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ground floor, sign me up as any non-human please; skeleton > shek > hiver :)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sign me up for skellytimes as well! Character name CommissarMecha if possible, because why change a winning formula? :v:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Added everyone so far to a list! I will try to change the wandering recruits mod so the skeletons in it aren't only the "default" 3 eye lenses skeleton race, so we can have a bit of variety among our mechanized menagerie! We also need a Faction Name so if you have any clever ideas let me know. I also wanted to ask if anyone who is unfamiliar with the game needs specific explanations of the hud/ gameplay or should I just gradually explain things in further updates? The next one should be ready for the weekend for sure.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Cool a Kenshi LP.

Sign me up for a Skeleton named Byte that will shoot thing with crossbow please.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would like to request that a certain skeleton, who outwardly appears to be a hiver, be recruited as soon as possible and allowed to follow his dreams.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I desire to be a glorious :crab:

I will become Dr. Booms mighty steed.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
If you come across a female human (confused noises from Beep), make her Artichoke please and thank you.

Dakona
May 3, 2014
Really interesting start to a Kenshi RP!

If you can use a strong back then I'd be happy to be assigned to a Shek. Or failing that whatever may be useful to the good Doctor.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Addamere posted:

I would like to request that a certain skeleton, who outwardly appears to be a hiver, be recruited as soon as possible and allowed to follow his dreams.

Oh that will absolutely be a thing. Don't worry.

AtomikKrab posted:

I desire to be a glorious :crab:

I will become Dr. Booms mighty steed.

But thats not a robot! Oh well, who can say no to Crabs... I could always just make you an Iron spider though. :)

Also I have good news, I've managed to change the wandering recruits mod so that it randomly has ALL skeleton subraces included so not all of you robofriends have to be Sadneil clones.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Added everyone so far to a list! I will try to change the wandering recruits mod so the skeletons in it aren't only the "default" 3 eye lenses skeleton race, so we can have a bit of variety among our mechanized menagerie! We also need a Faction Name so if you have any clever ideas let me know. I also wanted to ask if anyone who is unfamiliar with the game needs specific explanations of the hud/ gameplay or should I just gradually explain things in further updates? The next one should be ready for the weekend for sure.

I am unfamiliar with the UI, however, I think you should just go into it as it becomes relevant. I know my eyes would glaze over any lovingly crafted run-down you wrote up, just like I do with the tutorials they probably run you through first time playing.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've recorded the next part, it should be ready for the weekend! We'll get the first bits of combat and leave the Deadlands.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Update 2: Journey to the swamps

After getting Dr. Boom a new set of legs for running it's time to finally start our quest for revenge. We will need to gather people and and equipment. We also need to explore the world so that we can learn more about the current state of affairs!

: Boss, now that you can walk again... You wanted to see if we can find more people to join your err.. "our" cause, right?
: That's true. The Skeletons here have grown lethargic, no matter how much I ask them to they are not interested in either revenge or moving on from this place.
: *Grumbles* Why didn't I refuse too...
: What was that?
: Oh, nothing at all boss. Anyways... If I remember correctly, I heard something 'bout some Skeleton bar down in the swamps. It's a good way southwest of here, but it should be fine to get there in a days travel. If we don't run into any trouble, that is.
: Very well. This also doubles as a scouting effort I would say. Let's go everyone.
: Swamp? Sounds fun, Splish splash.

Let's take a look at the map of the world. We are currently in the Deadlands, a zone that is dead-center in the middle of the map. It's heavily polluted, so humans and Shek stay far away from it. Luckily this does not concern us. Our goal lies in the green zone to the southwest.

Taking one last look at the skeleton bar, I thought about checking out the buildings to steal some items perhaps. If you hold the Alt-Key it will highlight all items. Items in red are owned by others and will be counted as stealing if you pick them up. However, the Skeletons were vigilant and had people sitting in all of their houses so we couldn't steal. Our stealth skills suck a lot so we would have been spotted easily. Servbot managed to Nab one CPU unit though from a home that had nobody on the ground floor.
This starts a "committing crime" timer for the character, and if you get spotted during this timer you will be punished accordingly. Usually this means people will just attack you.

As we continue to travel we spot a weird domed roof just floating over an acid lake... This is a roof for "workshop" buildings that are scattered all over the Deadlands. There actually is a workshop really close.

It's marked as "Ruin" on the map until we come closer.

However, the workshop is guarded by several hostile skeletons named "Broken Skeleton" that man double barrel harpoon turrets. These would mean death for us so we stay far away!

Scattered across the Deadlands are dozens upon dozens of these deactivated and broken Iron Spiders. Often some of them still work and just sort of lay around waiting for someone to come close so they can ambush an unsuspecting person. Stay vigilant, if the cursor turns red you're in for a bad time!

: What happened to all these machines? And why are they even here?
: Nobody remembers anymore. They are broken, and they attack us. That is all you need to know really.
: Iron ones smash good. Make many limbs fly, stay far away.

As we approach the western edge of the Deadlands you can see that we are actually inside a rather big crater. Whatever caused this place to look like this probably shaped this crater as well. As I approach the crater all I notice someone approaching from the left...

It's hostile!

: What is this rotund rogue?
: No idea boss. but we better stay away, they don't seem to friendly, even if they seem to be a Skeleton.
: Curse you, round rebel! We will have our revenge one day.

These are from a mod I recently installed, Hazard units. They're very strong and robust but incredibly slow. This guy has 150 strength but terrible run speed so we just run away.

After we make it up to the crater edge we officially are leaving the Deadlands! Each time you enter a new zone you get these huge announcements that show the Zone name you are entering. By default the map has no zone names or edges and you will have to remember where they are.

We spot some animals passing by. These are Garru, they're peaceful herbivores that will not attack you unless you piss them off. They're a great source of meat and leather though.

A bit further south we find a band of Dust Bandits camping out near a road. It's actually a smart placement for a camp, trying to ambush travellers on a road. These are placed randomly by the game though and it just worked out this time. They're armed with Sabres and ranged weapons so we just walk out of their line of sight.

As we head further south and more Garru pass by Dr. Boom suddenly feels the need to talk about them.

: That's a lot of Garru.
: All I see is walking meat and leather.
: You never did have an eye for beauty.

:clint: Very practical of Servbot. He's not wrong though. Garru give an absolute massive amount of both, but we don't need that. Also they would completely destroy us right now. These dialogues happen randomly and depending on the zones you're in and the personality of your partymembers. They own and I love them a lot. I'm not sure if I should somehow mark these so it's easy to understand which conversations are in the "base" game and which ones I've added for flavor?

Our passage south is blocked by these giant rocks and we have to find our way around it. I just wanted to show that already outside the deadlands the world can look very different.

After walking further south-west we get a notice about discovering a "Holy Mine".

: Holy Mine? Just what kind of silly name is that?
: Boss, we better be careful. This is Holy Nation territory. They don't like us Skeletons very much. In fact, they don't like *most* people very much. But us Skeletons they will just kill on sight.
: Just what is the Holy Nation?
: They're a bunch of crazy humans that worship a God named Okran. And they hate all non humans. That's pretty much all I know, no Skeleton really ever manages to travel through their lands and survive.
: Listen, bossman! Crazy people talk.

The Holy Mines are the labor camps of the holy nation. Enslaved prisoners have to work there and are constantly berated by their Paladin overseers.

:hist101:: Man was created in the image of Okran, our sacred father, the Lord of Light.
:hist101:: Woman was created in the image of Narko, mankind's seductress, Demoness of Darkness.
:hist101:: Woman must be disciplined, she must work hard to overcome the darkness in her nature!
:hist101:: Lest she seduce and tempt the purity of man into the darkness with her!

Yikes. Let's get out of here. Also that's a huge herd of wild bulls passing by with an Alpha leading the herd!

Here we can see one of the slave workers operating a stone processor machine while the Paladins make sure everyone is doing their "job".

We manage to sneak by the Holy Mine without being spotted. I was confused at first by the suddenly being spotted (red eye means someone is very close to spotting you / can see you) but it was just some Garru running by. You can see their young trailing the herd as it travels :3:
Further to the south we see a group of humans travelling by and approach them.

: Sadneil, what are these humans in rags?
: Dunno boss, could be escaped slaves?
: Well then, maybe we could actually recruit these for our cause?
: I thought you hated all humans, boss.
: I do. But that does not mean we can't use them as... pawns? Peons? Or just cannon fodder, you know.
: Humans all red inside. We Hive do like it, it is squishy.
: Servbot, calm yourself. Let's try a little diplomacy!

Uh oh. These are Starving Bandits. Their name basically tells you all you need to know. Theyre hungry and they want YOUR food and will try to beat you up to get it.

: What? This makes no sense, we don't even HAVE any food.
: I dont think these crazies are going to listen.

Time to run!

Uh Oh.

: This somehow has gotten worse, I can't believe it.
: Less talk, more running boss!

I have no idea why these hungry bandits expect two skeletons and a naked hiver to have any food. Luckily they are slower than us so we eventually managed to outrun them. Hungry Bandits are pretty much the "lowest" enemy on the food chain, but in such huge numbers even they are dangerous.
We keep on running southwest into the Border Zone and eventually come across a ruin.

: Whoever used to own this place does not live here anymore. It's time to see what we can plunder.

This is a ruined military outpost of the Holy Nation. It probably was destroyed during a conflict with the Shek, who live further southwest. We plunder all the weapons we can to sell them later. The color indicates the item grade, with the grey ones being the worst quality. Also there is an outhouse?!

: Ahh, much better.
: You organics disgust me. Also that is not how you sit on a toilet, servbot!

Let's talk a bit about weapons. This is one of the long cleavers that we looted.

This long cleaver is a hacker class, they're weapons that specialize in armor penetration and have somewhat balanced stats between cut and blunt damage.
The main difference between cut and blunt is that cut damage needs to be bandaged/repaired while blunt damage just lowers the hitpoints without causing deterioration of the wounds. Armors also generally have less blunt damage resistance compared to cut resistance.
Blood loss is how much the weapon makes you bleed when you suffer cut damage from it.
Armor penetration is the value substracted from the enemy armour before damage calculation. Negative values increases the effective armor of the target.
The defence bonus / indoor penalty are addition / subtraction from your melee defense stats which is your block rate. Generally long weapons get a penalty to indoor combat.
The damage bonus / reduction is just how much extra damage you do on certain classes of enemies.
Robots = Skeletons, Iron Spiders, etc.
Humans = Not just "humans" but also Shek, Hive etc.
Animals = Everything else.

To the south of the ruined outpost we come across a waystation. There are several of these waystations scattered across the world of Kenshi. They are run by the Tech Hunters faction, which basically are explorers/frontiersmen in search of lost technology. They are great places to heal up and restock supplies. This outpost also is guarded by crossbow turrets at the entrance. Dr. Boom and friends head in to check out the shops and sell all the loot we picked up.

The general store has all kinds of building materials for sale as well as research books and some crops. If you look at the CPU unit we stole you can see that it is marked as stolen and has a fencing chance. This is 100% because the people here don't know the person we have stolen from. If we had tried to sell this in Black Desert City it would have been a high chance that it would be recognized as stolen loot and the Skeletons would have attacked us for being thieves!

As we enter the Inn which is populated by all kinds of people, a conversation between to humans can be overheard.

:twisted: So I was trading in the hives the other week... An' I noticed... that brown stuff them lot build huts out of ...
:twisted:: It ain't stone and it ain't wood neither.
:shobon:: Nah, I guess it ain't... Never really thought about it before.
:twisted:: I mean, why don't we have buildings made out of that stuff outside of the hives, eh?
:shobon:: Could be the red sand. Maybe if you dig deep enough around Vain...
:twisted:: I dunno. It don't look like it came outta the ground to me...
:stare:: ... What are you saying?
:twisted:: Twomoon drank too much rum last week, threw his guts up all over the bar... That stuff inside Twomoon, it looked real similiar
:stare:: I don't under-... Wait... No...
:twisted:: just sayin'.
:stonk:: Nooooo..!?

: Servbot, is it true?
: I do not know, boss. I never build houses, just live in them.

Yuck. We'll see hiver huts sooner or later. The Inn itself sells mostly food and some medical supplies. We buy some food for poor Servbot, who was actually starting to get hungry, as well as several Medkits so we can patch up wounds for him.

This is the scorchlander the guy above was having the conversation with. Apparently he was so shocked that he had to stack his drinks! We visit the final shop, which is a small robotics shop in the back of the waystation. We earned enough cash for another robot limb, so I buy a standard Skeleton right arm for Dr. Boom. It's not great, but It will do for now!
Since all characters in Kenshi are right handed this means Dr. Boom can now swing smaller weapons one handed at least and isn't completely defenseless.

: Ahh, finally I have an arm. Now come here so I can choke the life out you for getting me these silly legs, Sadneil!
: Boss, you are aware that I don't breathe, right?
: Sigh, must you always be such a spoilsport?
: In any case, we are very close to the swamps now, boss. It shouldnt be much further.
: Very well. Let's move out!

Just as we leave the Waystation, we spot a Caravan of the western hive.

The caravan leader starts to shout at us and approaches us as soon as he spots our group.

: No-hive! Come back, it's dangerous!
: Don't go into the mist, no-hive! The mists are cursed, CURSED! you go in, you never come back out! ... Unless you have Hive lantern with you. We have one you can have if you want to go there. Not free though.
: Tell me more about this lantern.
: Our Queen enchants the Lanterns of Radiance to clear the mists. All hive merchants use them to travel north, I promise our lantern will keep you safe, out of the mist. If not, we give you a refund. Our promise to you.
: A refund is useless to a dead person.
: Haaah! Of course! You got us, no-hive. But you can trust our promise
: Okay, how much?
: 2500 cats. This is a good price, Skeleton. You can't put a price on safety.
: Thanks for the warning, but we'll pass. Right boss?
: This is a special discount, tin man, this is a good deal! Here, take a looks at it...
: I told you, we are not interested!
: No-hive, you are being stupid! You only get one chance to buy the Lantern of Radiance, otherwise you can never go to the mists! Ever! This is a special item, it's unique!
: Didn't you just say your merchants all carried them?
: Just leave us alone already, bugman. We do not need your cheap trinkets!
: No more discount for you! 2500 cats, let's finish this, Skeleton.
: We are going! Take a hint already...
: You're going?
: How rude. Why would you not accept our offer?
: We gave you a special price as well! Just for you... You insult the Queen!
: Curse you, Skeleton! The mists will swallow you whole! You'll DIE!

As much as they are pretending to hate us, they will still trade if we approach them again. Also this is a total scam. Lanterns of Radiance are items you can equip on your belt slot and they produce an absolutey TINY amount of light. They are a complete joke, also they are sold in hive stores for around 90 Cats, so the merchant tried to completely rip you off.
Also there are constant pitfalls in the dialogue about this where your character wants to attack the hiver for being so annoying. This would have been a terrible idea for us.

: Servbot, are all of your people this annoying?
: I do not know, boss. I never see hive like this before. My hive... former hive.. we never trade. With anyone.
: I think our friend comes from the south, boss. There are two hives we know of, you see. The hivers from the south are highly aggressive and attack on sight. Nobody has managed to ever talk much to them. These peeps though... I'm sure they were from the western hive. They trade a lot with humans and Shek. And sometimes us Skeletons too.
: Two hives eh? Fascinating, I will have to keep that in mind...

The next screenshot probably is a bit confusing. I was continuing to loot the ruin since I could not grab everything at once. I had turned off recording for a bit and forgot to turn it on in time. We came across a Holy Nation Inquisitor that was really badly wounded and managed to whack him into a KO state again. We took some hits but nothing too bad.
However, this is a good point to talk about the health system!

So we had managed to successfully down this Inquisitor. He was already heavily wounded but bandaged and seemed to have gotten separated from his squad. In the screenshot you can see the Inquisitors hitpoints in the lower left.
On the right, you see the current HP of the limbs. Since this is a human it would be 100 max. The HP of the limbs are displayed via the bar, with the colors showing the state of the limb.

Blood: Remaining Blood/Oil. This will go down if you have open wounds from cutting damage, losing too much blood will make you go into a "Blood loss KO" until the value goes back into the positives. Regenerates over time.
Green = Healthy, this is active limb hp that remains
Red= Lost health from cutting sources, this needs to be bandaged before it can heal.
Yellow = Bandaged damage, this will heal over time
Grey = Lost health from blunt damage. This will heal over time.
The < indicates the wound will deteriorate over time unless bandaged. This can stack so it can show << or even <<! etc depending on severity.

If you start to go into the negatives for Head/Stomach/Chest your character will go unconscious, the duration depending on how wounded you are. For arms/legs you will lose the functionality of those limbs and if they go too far into the negatives they will be chopped off!

We loot the Inquistor for all he's worth. Note that the armor he is wearing says "Faction Armor". this means if we wore this others would recognize us as members of the Holy Nation. We do NOT want that, so we just sell it all.
The scroll basically says "Go and kill all heretics, don't fail in your mission"

We finally have reached the edge of the swamp! It's always foggy in the swamp, so visibility goes bad real quick... This is not the mist the merchant was talking about though.
Sidenote: The screenshot quality in the swamps is kinda bad, I'll try to increase the video recording quality next time and see if it helps. I hope it's still sort of clear what is happening in each screen.

Walking further south, Dr. Boom suddenly starts up another conversation:

: I remember this place...
: Used to be a great port city around here somewhere...
: Not anymore though, obviously.
: Old Empire, as it's called now I guess
: A PORT? In a swamp? What was it for, flying swamp boats?
: It was a long time ago, the water level was a few hundred meters higher back then.
: I don't know what a meter is, but it sounds like a lot
: Relatively yes, People loved their boats back then...
: Every time you talk it just fills my head with a hundred questions..
: What's a boat?

I have no idea why Sadneil was pretending to not know what a meter or a boat is. All Skeletons are ancient, but some seem to forget certain details when they reset themselves.

: Sadneil, are you sure you did not reset your circuits one time too often? Or are you just playing stupid?
: Who knows...

Further South we come across a tiny swamper village named "Rot". There's just one shop and some fields/houses. The store owner has a friendly business pitch...

: I'd like to see you try...

The store itself sells very cheap food and hemp and some shoddy headgear as well as some trader backpacks. Nothing we need right now, the backpacks can carry a lot more but also have negative effects for combat.

Time to head further into the swamp, creeping ever closer to the place Sadneil Mentioned. Walking through the water makes come to a crawl pretty much.

We spot these Hivers clad in Black Leather, they look pretty badass. Theyre members of the Blackshifters, a Hiver gang that runs casinos in the swamp area. But wait, what's that behind them...

:magical: It's blood spiders! These are the true terrors of the swamp. Blood spiders are small, blood red spiders with low hitpoints that hit incredibly hard though. They're the definition of glass cannon. What's really bad about them though?
They EAT you. If you fall to a blood spider they will happily start to suck on your corpse, draining it of all remaining life. Luckily this can't happen to Skeletons, but they are still incredibly scary foes.
Fun Fact: In early versions of the game blood spiders had incredibly high attack range and could basically "force push" your people to death before they ever managed to get into melee range.

The Blackshifters engaged the spiders. A blood spider on average has around 25-30 hp, but if you don't hit the chest/stomach/head they won't go down. As you can see they are hitting the Blackshifters for quite some damage, the Blackshifters themselves actually have decent armor. If you see a number like 33(-20) it means the attack originally did 53 damage but 20 was blocked by armor. We are just attempting to hide and get away

: Stay out of this everyone... we will pick whatever is left over from this battle
: Boss is smart. I will listen
: I prefer to not die, so I agree to this plan. What if there are too many spiders survive though?
: Uhh... I guess we run?

As we sneak away we suddenly hear some shouting from behind...

It's Red Sabres! They're one of the criminal gangs hiding in the swamp who will attack everyone else. I was worried for a bit that they were shouting at me, but they had instead spotted a group of drifters. Lady Luck was on our side this day.

The Red Sabres engage in combat with the drifters but get owned hard since they had some guards with them that had stats in the 70s. The bandits are all in the mid 20s.

The drifters run off without a word after beating the Red Sabres into a bloody paste.

: Now! This is our chance. Grab whatever you can.

We loot the Red Sabres and grab a set of armor for everyone as well as all the weapons we can carry. Unlike the inquisitor earlier it's not labeled as faction armor so we can wear it without any further issues.

One of the Blackshifters is limping away very slowly from the blood spiders. They just keep following him, apparently taunting him before finishing him off. Note how incredibly hurt the hiver is everywhere except the Stomach, most of the wounds are getting worse too.
We decide to help out the guy since the blood spiders are pretty hurt too. Besides we need to start to get more combat experience!

We manage to defeat the spiders while taking some juicy hits ourselves, ouch! As you can see they hurt a real lot for being so small.

Servbot was hurt in the head so much he starts shoving his arm through his skull to get rid of the pain. We bandage Servbot and repair ourselves before getting to a larger village further south.
The big dome building is a bar, so we head inside.

Inside a skeleton complains about being ripped off by the casino, this is a diplomatic status character so we can't recruit him. I think it's one of the pacifiers for a faction you can pay off if you pissed off someone you dont want to.

Sitting on a pillow on the ground is Dr. Chung, one of the unqiue NPCS you can recruit in the game. He also can act as a plastic surgeon to rename people but loses that if you hire him. We're not here for him though...

Suddenly some jerks in white Karate Gis come in and they're hostile ?! They ignore us for a second before suddenly starting a huge bar brawl.

Ouch. They're really good martial artists and hurt quite a bit. Luckily the guards come to our help.

Taking a kick to the robo-dick was too much for poor Dr. Boom. He collapses for a bit, unconscious.

: That's a low blow, even for me! I will have my revenge.

More guards come rushing in and beat up the white-clad jerks. Dr. Boom had mainly taken damage in the chest and got up again after beign repaired by Sadneil. Meanwhile you can see the guards starting to remove the intruders from the bar, they just chuck them outside.
The hiver at the table meanwhile remains calm and doesnt seem to care.

We've managed to gain quite a bit of stats already! The early levels are easy to get but it gets much harder after the 30s... Sadneil is leveling his robotics by himself and Dr. Boom rather quickly.

Just as we prepare to talk to the hiver some rear end in a top hat comes running back in and...

... makes a beeline for Dr. Boom and double palm thrusts him in the chest! He collapses on the floor.

: Son of a.. I won't forget this!
: Boss still is weak. Need to eat more to get strong.
: That's not how that works, Servbot. But I sort of agree. Then again, the boss was knocked out previously for a long time probably and just recently woke up...

The hit was strong enough to get Dr. Boom into a recovery coma. Since unarmed damage is mostly blunt and can't be healed with repair kits it will take a bit for him to wake up and there are no robo repair beds in this bar.
Sadneil, knowing that Dr. Boom wanted to talk to the hiver at the table, does so in his stead.

: ...Hear that?
: You mean that guy over there coughing up a lung?
: No, no, not him... Thre crowds! I can barely hear myself think in this bar... A lot of people hate crows, but me? I love 'em. Can't seem to shake the feeling of loneliness ever since I left the Hive... So it comforts me.
: So why don't you go back?
: You're kidding me, right? That place is a prison, an illusion, and it's a miracle I ever broke free. Growing accustomed to something, like the brainless crowds of the Hive, isn't the same as missing something.
: If you want to be part of a collective, why not join us?
: Well, always up for an adventure, me. I'd like that... But I've gone and worked up a debt at the casino. I can't leave. The big boss said he'd break my legs if I didn't pay him back by the end of the week. ANd trust me, you don't want to get on the wrong side of the Big Bosses. So, I need to raise the money to pay off my debt first. I like my legs afterall.
: Sighh... How much is your debt? I hope boss won't kill me, but he said we need more people.
: 3000 Cats...
: Fine... Let's just hope the boss won't break *my* legs instead after I pay off the debt for you.

And so Silvershade Khanstant joins our time as the first goon! Welcome buddy. :) Hive Princes are squishy with their maximum limb hp of 80, but they have an aptitude for sneakyness and thievery. Khanstat will be our "Rogue" so to speak. We will use him for stealth ops and everything that requires sneakyness.
Your first task however, will be to carry Dr. Boom and build up some strength!

And so we leave our little group for today. Next time we will venture to the heart of the swamp and see if we can find this Skeleton bar that Sadneil has been talking about, and maybe find some more allies. We shall see!
As always let me know if you think something could/should be improved.

Here's a map of the journey covered in this update:

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 9, 2019

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrickenMoron posted:

These dialogues happen randomly and depending on the zones you're in and the personality of your partymembers. They own and I love them a lot. I'm not sure if I should somehow mark these so it's easy to understand which conversations are in the "base" game and which ones I've added for flavor?

What others have done with this sort of thing is use italics for one or the other; e.g., use plaintext for stuff in the base game and italics for player commentary or inserted dialog.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Early victories, yeah!

If anything, a few of the pictures in the marshes are a tad hard to see, but that's just how the place is.

Addamere posted:

What others have done with this sort of thing is use italics for one or the other; e.g., use plaintext for stuff in the base game and italics for player commentary or inserted dialog.

Yep, this tends to work pretty well.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Toss me in as a female Sorchlander with the highest bounty possible.

Also don't worry about the quality of swamp screenshots, they're showing just how horrid the place is.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
poo poo yeah, more Kenshi. Way more fun to watch than play, sadly. At least for me.

Sign me up coach. I'll take any skeleton or hiver.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Drakenel posted:

poo poo yeah, more Kenshi. Way more fun to watch than play, sadly. At least for me.

Sign me up coach. I'll take any skeleton or hiver.

For me it's pretty much a Zen game I love to watch and play both. :)
Also added you and Bob! It's actually hard to think of a female Scorchlander with a high bounty. I can think of a male one but he's not easy to get. For now.

As a sort of in between update, let's talk about armor!

Above we can see the armor we stole off those Red Sabres. It's not very good, but it will do for now. The grade goes from Prototype -> Shoddy > Standard -> High -> Specialist -> Masterwork
So how does armor actually work?

Armor coverage is the % chance that a hit to this area will be affected by your armor reduction. We can see that this armor has pretty poor coverage for the stomach, which matches the appearance actually. Now, to blunt and cut resistance... Blunt is very straight forward. If we would get hit by 50 pure blunt damage, it would get reduced to 45 by the armor. For cut it's a bit more complicated. If we got hit for 100 cut damage it would be reduced to 78.. but do you see that cut resistance efficiency? It's 90%, which means only 90% of those blocked 22 damage will be actually blocked. So we would take 80 damage (78 cut + 2 blunt) This blunt damage from the resistance calculation can not be reduced at all. Why this was implemented this way? Nobody knows really.

There is a mod which removes the cut efficiency from all armors and instead multiplies the cut resistance by the efficiency, so these armored rags would have 20% with the mod instead of 22%

The bonuses/negatives on the armor should be pretty self explanatory I hope, they actively reduce your stats in these skills by the multiplier, not your exp gain in them.
Harpoon resistance is a straight forward value how much damage will be reduced from bolts/harpoons if hit on a body part covered by this armor.

Let me know if all these technical details are actually relevant for you guys and gals, I intend this to be an informative LP kind of with a slight bit of humor.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sign me up as a skeleton currently suffering from a general ennui stemming from a backstory of "first I tried getting along with everyone, only to be met with scorn and disdain. Then I tried hating everyone, only to find out that people tended to die of natural causes just when you start getting a really good grudge built up against them. So what's the point?" Has trouble expanding his hate to a more wide-ranging mindset, and instead would always treat it on a personal level rather than against groups or species.

Also, preferred weapon is martial arts, good for both hugging and ripping the still beating heart from the chests of those you hate!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Next part has been recorded. I need feedback for the future though, should I concentrate more on just progressing from now that we've set up a basic storyline or do you enjoy the detailed breakdown of what's happening? Thank you for taking your time!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think the detailed breakdowns are important to Kenshi. There's so much happening in the game you either end up people confused on why stuff is happening or missing some very interesting nuance to the game that improves the narrative.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I enjoy the detailed breakdowns; I’ve just recently bought the game myself, so they’re really helping me learn how to play past the information in the tutorial.

If you have enough room for another goon party member, I’d like to request:
A Female human Greenlander, with the name Catalina or any variation in nickname for that, like Cat, or Catskin, whatever sounds good. Like any good weeb, she should use the katana but not be good at it. Her goal in life should be to try all the drinks and drugs she can.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Sure, we've got room! We don't even have 20 members yet. Next update I've recruited one of the unique NPCs as a goon, it should be ready either tomorrow or on Satuday. It's important for me to know that you all enjoy this style, so thank you for the earnest feedback :)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Yeah i definitely enjoy the mechanical breakdowns. I had this game for YEARS and never got anywhere so its cool seeing and learning about what does what and why.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Kenshi's just one of those games with so many mechanics that it really benefits from a good discussion of them. I've never actually played the thing, only seen a lot of it, so hearing the mechanics helps to figure out what's going on underneath the story. It's kind of like Dwarf Fortress in that regard, though few things are as complex as that game.

Needless to say, I'm enjoying the mechanical breakdowns as well!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Hello everyone! It's time for the next update.

Update 3: Fundraiser

Welcome back! The last time we left off we just entered the swamps and made it to Mud town, a settlement run by the Blackshifters gang. Having recovered from the bar brawl, our group is ready to move on.

: So, how much further until we arrive at this town you mentioned Sadneil?
: Not much boss, if I remember correctly that is... Should be straight south from there

Checking out the map it's pretty much true. That large circle of a road around the water? that's the town where we want to go. There short journey to the town which is called "Shark" for some reason is pretty uneventful. Soon we actually enter the town proper.

The NPC here has a conversation about someone called Black-blood who apparently is pretty bad news? I tried to search for this guy on the wiki but found nothing, so I have no idea what this is about to be honest.

: Over here boss, I've found the place! Let's check it out

Our group moves towards the bar that Sadneil spotted and...

: So this is the place you wanted us to go? Just looks like a regular swamp bar to me. Except, wait, what's this sign up there?

: What the hell is this? This is a travesty!
: Skeleton has a nice hat! I like it
: I don't know boss, for what it's worth it feels very... jolly?
: Jolly? JOLLY? They just grabbed a dead skeleton and impaled it up there! This will not stand!
: Welp, so much for that...

We head inside the bar, the patrons immediately joke about the bar sign having come back to life when seeing a Skeleton. I scanned the bar for Skeleton recruits but there were none to be found sadly.

Some drunk patron is talking poo poo to another one. The other guy retorts with "Keep pushin me poo poo eater and lets see what happens" and then they both calm down.

More bar talk! This one is about Skeletons. The guy keeps talking to himself.

:tinfoil:: So you hear the stories about skeletons? Suppsedly, there's some skeletons out that wear the skins of... humans. Like Cannibals, but worse. They kill, just to peel your skin off like you're some... animal. And then they wear it, pretending to be humans themselves. And then they try to lure more humans in! offer food, shelter, all you could want in this hellscape. And then they kill you and peel you like a fruit...

: That all sounds very agreeable to me, aside from the part where they pretend to be humans.
: THAT is where you draw the line, boss?
: It all sounds very frightening to me. Also, why am I naked?
: I did not like your pants.
: :(
: In any case, it's time to talk to the bartender about this travesty of a sign!

Dr. Boom steps up to the bartender. For some reason the JPG compression was incredibly aggressive despite having the same settings as the previous two updates!

: Your sign is a corpse! You're one twisted mother!

We can ask this guy about all of the local bars, I've screenshotted the dialogue instead of transcribing it all. Let me know if this fine with you or if its annoying to read.

Despite all of this fluff text about the gangs we can only join the Hounds in the "vanilla" unmodded game. It's also a hassle and not really worth it in my opinion.

: Well, I don't see any Skeletons that would join our cause here...
: Sorry boss, I guess one's a bust. Still, I think there was another bar in town. Should we check it out?
: Alright

The gang heads over to the next bar. There's a total of 3 swamp dome buildings in Shark. One's the dancing skeleton, one a casino run by the Blackshifters and one the Hounds gang HQ. We head over to the Blackshifters bar.

Inside we see... a goatman! It's a really good and fun mod and I love goatmen. If anyone wants to be a goatman instead of something else let me know. They can't wear helmets though which is a problem...

Next to the goatman we spot this fellow with rather interesting eyewear. No Skeletons again in the bar... We approach the guy.

: You eyeballin me?
: No, you were eyeballin ME!
: I was? Sorry, I got bulgy eyeballs.. Need a merc? I've got crazy sword skills ya know.
: Really?
: Well... about average... Whatever, what is this, an interromagation? What d'ya say? 5000 cats...
: Interromagation? You know, that's not even a real word, fleshbag.
: Yeah, intemogration! Quit wastin' my time, fruitnut. Am I hired or what?!

Uhh yeah, Stubs aka Angry Lobster is not the brightest tool in the shed. If you choose the wrong option in the initial dialogue he will also attack you. Theres an option to try and lower the price to 3000 cats but its not possible, he always wants 5k. The main mystery about Stubs is that he's a Scorchlander but has a greenlanders skin...

: Boss, do you really think we should hire this guy? He doesn't seem to be... the brightest tool in the shed, as the humans do say.
: That is exactly why we are going to hire him! We need some humans to negotiate I feel.. also this makes them easier to control and manipulate down the line, you know.
: I see boss. How devilishly devious.
: Can I have his pants?
: No! And welcome to the team. From now on, you shall be know as Angry Lobster.
: Alright boss. I'll fight with you!

Angry Lobster comes with some stats at least. They're not amazing but it will do. There are several other *FREE* recruits in the swamp, but I didn't want to pick any of them really for our team. I'll do a quick list of them:
Green: Hive worker who starts with really good crossbow skill, has a bar tab of 2300 you need to pay.
Hamut: Greenlander male who really hates slavery. If you hate slaves he joins for free, has decent fighting skills (15-20ish)
Miu: Greenlander lady, escaped Slave who really fears spiders cause they killed her friend. Alcoholic, also hates slavery.

: So what now boss? Seems there are really no skeletons here. I guess they just moved on...
: I have to admit, I am quite at a loss. We still need to gather more subjects before we can move on to the next stage of my plan. We also need more money.
: May I have a word? I know I'm the new face around here, but I've been sitting in this shithole of a town for a few weeks now and you do hear some rumors y' know...
: Go on then.
: I heard about some ruins in these swamps. People spotted at least three of them, but I only know the position of two places. Them swampers are too afraid of the spiders and gangs so I'm pretty sure it's all ripe for plunder..
: That *does* sound rather useful. Where would the closest one be then?
: North...west I think? Thats like to the left, right?
: My left or your left?
: Just left! Just show me your map if you can...

: Alright, let's see if these rumors are true. Let's move out!
: I'm still naked. :(

The group heads northwest as per Angry Lobsters idea. There are a total of four ruins in the swamps, but only two are really worth checking out. One is completely empty and the other has spiders inside but no real loot.
After a little bit of travel we approach the ruins to the northwest! Nobody is around. Nobody except...

Some very spiky boys. These are swamp raptors. Despite the fierce sounding name they are completely harmless to us. Swamp raptors are carrion eaters and will also eat farm crops.

: Crocodogs are friend!
: Let's just ignore them. Now what do we have here...

The ruins are absolutely filled with different kinds of loot. A lot of them are crafting materials, but we also have research books and some expensive robotics components. The tools can be used to force open locks. I use one of them to break open the library outpost. I later realized I could have just bashed the door down instead of waiting 800 seconds...

For some reason you geta "shackles broken" dialogue when you open something with tools, as if you had just freed yourself from slave shackles.

Inside the library is mostly trash.. there are several containers full of books and maps you can still use. One locked chest is also inside which we again break with tools.

: Ah, ancient military maps! And research books. Now this is an useful find.
: Let's sell them all!
: Fool! It would be more wise to use them for our own gains. Who knows what kind of weapons could be hidden inside these places. We must find them!
: Oh, okay. That makes y' know, sense. I get it bossman.

Ancient Science books are somewhat rare and also forbidden in the holy nation. They're used to research higher tier research and can only be bought in a handful of places. Normal books are available pretty much everywhere. We stash them and use the maps. Using a map will instantly place a highlighted marker on your map for the new locations you uncovered. Down below we can see the locations we uncovered, it's mostly more places with loot!

One of them is also in the swamp!

: Ruined place is nearby!
: That must be one of the other ruins I heard about. Should we check it out?
: Absolutely. But first, let us head back to Shark. We are carrying quite a lot at the moment.

Our group heads back to shark in the middle of the night. Luckily nobody attacks us while we're slowed down.

Pressing the alt key is rather helpful when finding the shops at night. It puts a highlight to the signs outside of buildings. Most shops are closed at night though anyways so we have to wait for morning.

This shop is blocked by a tree... nobody can enter or leave. This is actually a result of a mod I'm using that reduces the overall foliage clutter on the map by 50%. It somehow manages to move this one tree so it blocks off the shop! It's not really an important one, but still annoying.

We sell all our loot after daybreak. A group of swamp raptors headed through shark and one of them got stuck in the bar for some reason. I also buy some new gear for Khanstant. He get's a ninja hood and ninja rags for some serious bonuses to sneak. Still no pants though...

: Feels breezy down there boss...
: Look, you take what you get. I finally buy you some new armor and you still complain?

The ruin we found via the map points us to the southwest of shark. As we move there we come across another swamp village, but it's just a boring tiny village with one mixed wares shop

Soon after, we approach the ruin, looming in the distance of the foggy swamp.

: Wow, this place looks pretty massive. I'm sure there must be some great loot inside!
: Maybe it is abandoned as well? Let's hope for the best.
: I'm pretty sure this is... a military design? Just what is that building doing here...

Sadly these ruins are anything but abandoned. It is swarming with blood spiders inside.

: Boss, look! Red fiends.
: More of these blasted spiders. What should we do?
: For now it seems they are trapped inside the perimeter of this building.. the only way inside is this gate. Let us open it.
: I'm not sure that's a good idea ?!
: I'm the boss here. I say it, you do it, okay? If you want you can volunteer as spiderbait.
: ... fine.

The group moves in and starts to bash on the gate. This is another way you can open things, but only works for doors. Once the hitpoints of the gate reaches zero we open it and run the hell away.

: Now, run everyone!
:aaa:

We keep running until the blood spiders stop giving chase. I also bought Khanstant a ranged weapon so he can avoid melee combat with this light armor if possible. Ranged characters on hold will aggro anything within their range and it can be a bit annoying. The hold command prevents your characters from running blindly at anything hostile they see though.
While it looks like Khanstant wants to shoot a weird plant he's actually aiming at a blood spider and is pulling it. The enemies magically know they're being targeted by someone and will run to fight. This way we can engage the blood spiders one by one..

They hurt a lot still. We just have to hope

: Ouch...
: Grit your teeth, Servbot. You can take it. Wait, do you even HAVE teeth?

We take down the first spider. Khanstant immediately pulls aggro on the next one and... proceeds to shoot Lobster in the back! He stumbles forward from the impact.

: Traitor!
: Sorry. :( Won't happen again! I hope...

Bad news: Projectile weapons in Kenshi underlie the laws of physics. If a projectile fired from the crossbow hits one of your guys, it will cause friendly fire damage
Good news: The Precision fire stat negates this. The higher it goes the higher the chance becomes that the shooters projectiles magically ignore friendly bodies and pass just right through. It only goes up by causing friendly fire though, so it's generally a good idea to give someone a weak crossbow first.

Seriously though, do not give inexperienced shooters the good crossbows. You can INSTNANTLY kill people with friendly fire because thats how strong lategame crossbows are.

: Still many red fiends.. can we win?
: We just have to! I will not give up on this lab because of some beasts. Fight on, brave soldiers.

Servbot suffers a grave wound to the head... at least this will raise up our toughness real fast! We're getting pretty hurt and that was only the third spider.

: Boss, this is pretty hopeless... There's still like fifteen of these things and we're already in bad shape after three. We'll all get turned to scrap by these things if we keep on fighting.
: But we must! Think of all the secrets that could be hidden inside this place. We just have to keep fighting them one by one, no matter how long it takes.
: Wait, I hear something from behind... watch out, it could be more of them!

Nope, luckily not. It's swamp raptors! This is actually what I was hoping for when I played the game at this point.

: Crocodogs! :)
: Excellent. Stay back and let's see what happens now.

The Swamp raptors, lured in by the spider corpses, begin to fight with the spiders. They get hurt a lot by them too but also can dish out damage back. A bite to the right region (head, chest, stomach) of the spider instantly knocks them out.

As more of our spiky friends start to move in we notice that there's fighting going on in the background.

Even more swamp raptors approached from the other side and are distracting the spiders.

: This is our chance everyone! Let's move into the building while the beasts fight.
: Crocodog must win! Fight well, friends.

The swamp raptors take some losses but easily wipe out the spiders and begin feasting on their corpses. We use the chance and move into the building proper.

: Wow, what a weird place.. let's check out everything!
: ... why the barricades? There must have been a fight here. And all these discarded machine husks. Nevertheless, I agree with you. Let us inspect everything carefully.

So, this ruin is actually one of the tech labs leftover by the previous civilzation. There are several of these in the world and normally they are guarded by incredibly powerful and dangerous mechanical security spiders. This swamp lab however only was guarded by the blood spiders.
The first floor of these labs usually is barricaded and holds nothing worth of value loot wise.

The second floor hold several research benches and other production benches which we can't really use. Sometimes you can loot some resoruces from the containers here.

The third floor is the important one. It houses several generators which somehow never run out of fuel. As well as a large room full of containers, several of them locked.

: Everyone, take a look at all these containers. Make sure you use our stash of tools if you can't open something!

The containers have various loot in them. Robotics, Ancient Science books, Medical supplies, some construction material. PSA if you play Kenshi yourself: Every one of the white boxes there is it's own container, it's not just one big container but instead a stack of 8 individual ones! You can click all of them.

We crack open the safe with tools.

: Jackpot!

It absolutely was worth it. The CPU Units are worth 6000~ each, as well as the robotics components which are around 3000 each. We also find several skeleton repair kits which we will put to good use.
We loot absolutely everything and head back to Shark, our pockets lined with goods. Heading home, Angry Lobster starts a weird conversation. This again is 100% random and selected by the game.

: Ugh... Stinks like my musty ol' Grandma 'round here...
: Watch it, the swamps are full of monsters lurking and hiding in the vines, waiting to pounce on their prey...
: I ain't a fan of the swamps. not one bit. At least in the open plains there's no place for gut-eating critters to hide.
: Well, at least in the swamps there's no place for self righteous Paladins and corrupt Samurai to hide.
: Why do I feel like a walking meat-wrap these days? Seems every-one and every-thing wants a goddamn piece of us.

Probably not entirely wrong there!

We make it back to Shark in one piece. Just as I tell everyone to take a nap in the Blackshifters bar to recover from their injuries something happens...

:ninja:: Decided to finally show your face I see?
:colbert::Yeah. An' what of it? I ain't hidin' from no-one.
:ninja:: So i guess you got that lil' gamblin' debt you owe us all nice and ready for me. Plus interest.
:colbert:: No... But I-
:ninja:: Knw what happens when people don't repay Big Darkbrow his Cats?
:colbert:: I know what happens! But I ain't gonna be able to repay your debt if you breakin' m' legs now am I?!

The Blackshifters start attacking the guy and his buddies and win easily. Somewhere in the background there was also a conversation about Skeletons and that they're always hiding something...
The beaten up Vagrants get thrown out of the bar, and looting them is not a crime...

: Let's loot them. It's not like they will miss their stuff.
: :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

We grab everything we can off them that's worth it, including several Nodachis and a Dustcoat and longcoat. Still no pants though.

I completely empty all stores in the town for their money and we still have poo poo to sell... It's time to head back. Back out of the swamps. We are sitting at over 100k cats right now.

: While we did not find any Skeleton allies, I say the journey still was a worthwhile trip overall. Our funds are looking much better now.
: Should we head back to Black Desert City boss?
: Not yet. But we shall go back north. I still need... another arm.
: Also, you can finally have some pants, Khanstant. You earned them.
: :)

Just as we head out of the north gate of Shark...

: Curses! It's one of the rotund rogues. What are they doing here in the swamp?

The swamp oni wants to beat us up, badly. We kite it into the swamp gate guards and it starts to brawl with them... They get absolutely trashed and barely do any damage to it.

: :psyduck: Run!

And so we run. We have barely left Shark and suddenly I notice a very, very ominous thing in the background...

It's a beak thing! Not just any beak thing, an elder one. Elder beak things are incredibly strong, tough and have tons of hitpoints. While we could take a lone regular beakboy rather easily, we do NOT want to fight this thing. Running is not an option either as they can go over 40mph!

: Everyone! Be careful not to head over there, we must not catch it's attention.
: :staredog:

Luckily some poor swamp turtles caught the beak things attention... look at the damage! We get the gently caress out of there. Soon after we're back in Mud town, the Blackshifters casino town place. I decided to do a quick stop and sell our inventory to the shop. I also actually rename Stubs to Angry Lobster at the plastic surgeon.

Suddenly...

:argh: It's the goddamn Oni! It followed us all the way here. Also Servbot is being shot by one of the town guards by accident with a mounted crossbow that was aiming at the Oni. Our group decides it had enough running for a while and assists the swampers in taking it out by... watching on the sidelines.

: Could you *please* move?
: No way bro, I've got my mojo going on.

After beating the poo poo out of it for a solid five minutes the Oni finally goes down. We loot it's weapon to sell it and throw away the armor, it's only worth like 200. We take the healing supplies though. The group then heads further north, out of the swamp. The journey is peaceful, but just before the waystation in the border zone we come across a small group of holy nation outlaws.

: Let me handle this!
: Fine, let's give it a shot.
: Hey buddies.
:smugjones:: ...
: We came across a patrol not far from here. You ought to stay alert.
:smugjones:: What? There's no patrol. All I can see is you and your pockets lined with food... Get them!
: :ughh: Teach these imbeciles a lesson.

Since it only was a tiny group of 3 outlaws we easily beat them down. We move to the waystation and sell the rest of our loot. Dr. Boom heads to the robotics shop and buys another arm. Even after that we still have 111.033 cats to our name now! It was quite the profitable trip to the swamps.

: Ahh, finally. The quality of my new limbs is not the best, but this shall do for now.
: Glad to hear it boss. Now, what shall we do? Should we go back to black desert city?
: Not quite yet I think. Our trip to the southwest yielded only monetary gains, but it still was a success. I say, we should keep going. But not to the south. Instead, we shall go northwest.
: We must gather more intel about the state of human society. And find more allies.
: Uhh, is our boss always this weird?
: I'm not sure, I'm new to this group too after all. But at least I've got pants now.
: Whatever. As long as the there's loot to be gained, I'm in.

And that's where we leave off for today! Next time, operation B will begin. Join our group of misfits as they (try?) to journey to Mongrel, a fantastical place in the Mists that the Hive Scammer Merchant was actually talking about in the previous update.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
So I'm a dumb hipster with a sword? Cool.

Nice idea luring out raptors to deal with the spiders by the way, those things hit like a truck.

FrickenMoron posted:

And so we run. We have barely left Shark and suddenly I notice a very, very ominous thing in the background...

And so it begins...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Angry Lobster posted:

Nice idea luring out raptors to deal with the spiders by the way, those things hit like a truck.

I was fully expecting more spiders, which would have worked too. Swamp spiders and these ruin spiders are members of two different factions and will fight each other. Raptors was the best outcome frankly though.

Also indeed! :getin:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

Good news: The Precision fire stat negates this. The higher it goes the higher the chance becomes that the shooters projectiles magically ignore friendly bodies and pass just right through. It only goes up by causing friendly fire though, so it's generally a good idea to give someone a weak crossbow first.

This is awesome. Kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy 2 where one of your stats could only be improved by running away from fights.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Khanstant posted:

This is awesome. Kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy 2 where one of your stats could only be improved by running away from fights.

I had to learn these lessons the hard way when someone with a really good crossbow killed his teammate by shooting him in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Yeah, the end game crossbows are nuts and are the ultimate counter to pretty much everything, including your own characters.