Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Next update is recorded, should go live this weekend again. Things got a bit chaotic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Can I sign up for death in this? I like pain

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Sure! Just let me know if you have a preference for any race etc.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Are you playing with any mods, or are there any anyone would recommend?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm playing with tons of mods to be honest, it would be a big list. What are you looking for personally? I played the vanilla game for 20 hours or so before i started adding mods to change small inconveniences.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Update 4: The battle of the Hub

Welcome back everyone! Our group is well rested and ready for travel. We are back at the waystation in the border zone. Having restocked supplies and finally in possession of two arms for Dr. Boom we are moving onwards to the northwest.

: Where should we head next boss? The swamp was a bit of a wash, despite finding two new recruits I think...
: It is all good. We have gained a lot of useful currency and two meatshields errr.. valuable allies of course.
: Meat is good. Tastes good too.
: So where should we head next? I'm all out of ideas.
: If you allow me to chime in, we should travel northwest. While sitting around in that bar in the swamp I have heard stories of a legendary warrior in the town of Mongrel...
: Mongrel? Where is that.
: Mongrel... the city of the lost. I heard it's in a place called the Fog Islands.
: Is that perhaps the Mist those merchants talked about? In any case, It sounds like a good lead. Let's move out everyone!

The team heads out, moving west from the Waystation. This area is a nightmare for travelling past this cliff because the AI is utterly incapable of navigating the cliffside for some reason.

The team has barely left the station when...

One of the outlaws who attacked us last update. His leg injury got so bad that it just popped out of the socket! This is what happens with frequent dismemberment setting. We grant the poor fool some mercy.

: And stay down!

Our group continues on and as we get near the cliff...

A group of wandering dust bandits spots us. It's a real big group too that would completely destroy us, so everyone just immediately starts to run away.

A successful escape :)

Moving down the cliff into the ravine we run into an animal trader caravan. They have a lot of useful pack animals, however we don't want any of those right now so we avoid the fleshy food eaters. They can carry a lot of stuff but I don’t think they fit the theme of our group.

: The less organics we have to worry about the better. Let's move on.

After a bit more travel northwest we come to another town called "The Hub"

It's uhhh not much of a looker to be honest. The entire town is filled with ruins and almost nobody is around. However we immediately get approached by some drunk guy...

This is Hobbs, he's one of the unique NPCs, but we won't be recruiting him, unless someone really wants to be Hobbs. His stats are all 1s.

:beerpal:: Yes that's it, have a drink on me... say have you ever heard the story of the wailing phantom?
: Uhh no, what are you talking about?
:beerpal:: Well legend has it that it dwells in a sunken cave, south of the dunes. I hear it has bones made of solid diamond - just one tooth would fetch youkabillion, no, poobillions of Cats! It has the gigantic tongue of a lusty tree hag and a marvellous pair of bingo wings that drop like smooth potato butter. Some even say that it has the snout of fondled truffle! Even the most handsomest of man-warriors haven't been able to hunt the peppery thing down.
: Uh-huh, sounds interesting.... I have to go now.

We leave Hobbs behind and move on, recruiting him is completely free.

Because our party is full of Hivers and Skeletons we get a pretty uhhh hostile welcome from a lot of the townsfolk wandering around. The Hub is a refuge city for Holy Nation Outlaws, but the citizens still believe in some of the Holy Nations teachings. Namely any non humans are evil, the devil and the end of all life.

We move into the only intact house that's not a shop and pick the lock, Inside there are some lore books about the hub and minor loot. The house is a great spot to rest since you can use the beds for free. The books are as follows:

We move towards one of the other buildings in the hub that is still standing as the sun begins to rise again. People are still upset about our presence meanwhile.
Outside the tower stand two guards, we can talk to one of them

:ninja::So you want in on the Shinobi eh? The guards try to lay the crackdown but they ain't fooling nobody, they're nothing. Nothing a few Cats can't handle.
: Shinobi? What kind of benefits would we even get from joining you?
:ninja::We have hideouts in several large towns scattered all across. You can use the facilities to rest and hide, and of course you can use our fences to sell any *troublesome* goods.
: I want to join the Shinobi Thieves.
:ninja:: You can join. For a fee.
: That's it? I don't have to complete a test to prove myself or something?
:ninja:: Do I look like I've got time for handing out busy-work? No, this is a business we're running, not a social club. Just a one-time membership fee, 10.000 cats. So what will it be, do you want to join the guild?
: That's a lot of money boss.. are you sure about that?
: I think they might be useful allies... for now. Okay, sign me up!

Joining the Shinobi thieves is a very good investment for several reason. I'll go about them shortly. Inside we talk to the local fence/trader of the thieves.

: I'm a skeleton, this is my normal face...
:ninja:: Well ain't that a pity...

Tying to talk to a npc with multiple people can have buggy results. Let's just pretend Angry Lobster is a bit insane and pretends to be a Skeleton now.

The shop selection usually is very ninja focused. Ninja clothes with bonus to sneaking/assassination/martial arts, but also the very VERY useful thieves backpacks. They're the only backpacks in the game without significant drawbacks, so we buy as many as we can.

On the next floor are several training facilities, these include lockpicking and assassin training dummies! There are two melee attack dummies too but they only go up to level 5 so they're virtually useless.

Queue training montage music! I train Khanstant in both assassination and lockpicking.

: Must... get.. stronger!

After training a bit I decide it's time to move on.

There's also a bar in the hub which totally can spawn skeleton recruits, however there's none in this game. Too bad!

: Let us move out. Our next goal is northwest, but first we should check out this shack north of this dump...

Just as we move out of the hub I notice there's a skirmish going on between some dust bandits camping at the road, some bounty hunters and some hungry bandits...

: Look alive everyone, there's some fools engaged in combat ahead of us! Let us attack and claim what we can for ourselves
: Sigh... must we reall attack everything we come across?

Before we attack I checked out the shack... its a small bar full of Holy Nation outlaws, including this very lanky paladin guy. No idea which mod he is from. Our group moves out and tries to join the battle. But just as we approach...

IcSN: Oh no... that's the holy nation. What are they doing this far south?
: I don't like the look of this... it's quite a large group. Everyone, retreat to the Hub!

The paladins and their servants give chase. The group is at least 20 strong, with half of them being capable fighters. Their weapons also deal BONUS damage to robots, so we're in for a bad time.

We lure the group into the Hub and people start to attack the paladins. For now we retreated to the Shinobi thieves tower

The paladins start a fight with a group of slave traders from the United Cities. Now there's already three groups involved in combat

: Everyone... now that these cretins are distracted, it's our time to strike. Attack!

: Uhh boss, we aren't really doing any damage it seems...

The paladins are pretty tough. Their armor is bad at covering the arms but is excellent protection for the chest/stomach. They are also rather tough and wear chainmail.

We move into the courtyard, trying to avoid fighting that high paladin. A hiver caravan also got involved into the skirmish, raising the number of involved parties to four!

: My leg...

Servbot is the first one to go down. His leg is hurt too much and he can't stand anymore, but still fight.

Angry Lobster is knocked out by a hit to the stomach and goes down.

Remembering that there are slavers around I decide to bail on the battle and move everyone into the Shinobi thieves tower where we can heal up. The Shinobi are capable fighters and go one on one with thee paladins.

: Back to the tower everyone!
: I'm actually the boss here, don't you forget it! But I agree.

Some went insane witnessing all the carnage going on in the courtyard

While we rest, the battle rages on outside. Some hungry bandits have also joined the battle. The hivers are now also fighting the slavers...

: This is our chance. Let us sneak out of town while everyone is distracted. The books were right, this place clearly IS cursed.
: Boss, I don't think curses are real...
: Silence, how else do you explain all this chaos going on in the courtyard? Would you rather stay and fight?
:...

We move along the wall and hurry out of town. Even after resting there for half a day the battle had not stopped. Moving further northwest we enter a new area...

Getting close to the hive village, Servbot brings up a monologue.

: Hive territory. It's been a while since I left...
: In the Hive, nothing matters, nothing exists, nothing is desired... Nothing but loyalty for the queen.

:smith:

Getting close to the village we are immediately being called out for bringing "hiveless" to this place. Once exiled/leaving the hive, you can never go back. They however don't go hostile or anything. There's also this constant red rain happening in this area, but it's harmless.

Not pictured: when spotting humans the hiver drones start to giggle and say things like awwww or flip flop. They definitely find humans and their method of walking amusing.

: So this is one of the hive villages? Looking at the way these buildings are made, I guess these guys we overheard in the bar weren't exactly wrong...
: I'd rather not think about it. Despite not having any sense of smell I still find the very idea disgusting.
: There's a shop over there bossman. Should we grab some supplies before moving on?
: I'll take a look.

Dr. Boom enters the shop and...

Is immediately greeted by a very pesky merchant Hiver! They will call out your race (Shek, Human, Skeleton) and approach you to trade their absolutely non stolen and high quality self produced wares.

: Uhh, on second thought, we don't NEED supplies. We are just fine. Moving on!

The merchant follows us out of the shop, begging us to trade... Normally these get increasinly aggressive as you run, ending with the hiver flinging insults at you. However I forgot that we have "Hiveless" with us. The hive prince merchants are very, very sensitive to hiveless and disturbed by their presence. Sensing them they will yell at you for being hiveless and will not trade anymore with anyone in your party. Forever.

We decide to just leave and move on northwest.

The area north of vain still has some weird trees and vegetation spawning. We were lucky to not run into any bad beasts in vain to be honest, it's one of the areas in the game that loves to spawn beak things. After an uneventful bit of travelling we finally reach the edge of the fog...

Not the worst of ideas. The entirety of the fog islands is made up of a series of plateau hills with deep fog filled valley between them. These valleys are the real dangerous part of the area. Off in the distance, we can spot some lights. We are currently at the green point on the map above. Straight north of us is a camp.

: Are these torches I see in the distance?
: Whatever it is, it seem's like a camp. We should stay away.
: Alright everyone... let's move around the west side and see if we can enter the area this way.

The group moves to the western plateau. I notice a battle going on between some Holy Nation citizens and fogmen, the people that rule this area... the citizens won.

I move in Angry Lobster since he's a human and the Holy Nation guys won't care about him. One of the downed fogmen was a prince! I loot the head, killing it in the process. it's worth a nice 6k.

: Ugh, this is disgusting... but we're doing it for the money. Now come here you bastard...

Angry Lobster beats up some of the crawling fogmen warriors who aren't quite dead yet. One of them stabs him two times in the stomach somehow.

: :(

I notice a large group of fogmen approaching from the northwest. This is not good for us so we sneak away to avoid them. We are now at the southwest entrance to the fog islands, with the city of mongrel taunting us in the middle.

Moving in further some guys sprint towards us...

:rant:: I can't survive like this anymore! I need to eat!
: :black101:

Some hungry outlaws. Since It's just 3 we beat them up quickly and move on. However we did take some damage in the fight which is not good. Moving deeper into the fog...

Suddenly the fogmen are upon us! A grop snuck up behind us.

: Everyone, to arms! We can't outrun them, so fight for your lives.

We get engaged in a messy melee. They outnumber us by quite a lot. While the damage is not that crazy and each individual fogman is weak (they only have 50 HP) the sheer numbers means they will get in more hits than us.

Khanstant and Dr. Boom are the first ones to go down. This is not good. Dr. Boom is actually not KO but one of his legs is destroyed.

A group of friendly drifters is nearby! They currently arent giving a poo poo about us because they are not being attacked so far.

Aaand what's this? A skeleton?! Sadneil immediately runs at the group and talks to the skeleton, dragging some fogmen with him.

: Was always told I'd never make it if I couldn't handle myself with a sword. Well I'm still alive aren't I? Melting the hearts of my enemies with my cooking, one ricebowl at a time...
: Great, have you looked around yourself? We need some extreme heat right NOW.
: Fine, but my services cost 6000 cats. Deal?
: Deal! And now pick up a sword and FIGHT!

And so Verbal joins the group! Welcome. While you might be another "default" type skeleton, your help is more than welcome. We also managed to kite some of the fogmen into the group and they start to attack them.

We start fighting the fogmen together with the drifters. Given the little "intro" text Verbal gave you might guess what his Skills are... an expert at COOKING! All other skills are at 1. I dont know why but giving that skeletons don't need to eat the idea of a skeleton chef is always amusing to me. Iron Chef anyone?

The fogmen are trying to carry off Angry Lobster. It's something they do, it has bad bad consequences if you let it happen. To avoid this i give everyone orders to pick up someone who's KO.

: Bossman, don't let them carry me off... I heard bad rumors about these fogmen before
: Do not worry, all of my resources are equally important to me. We shall defeat this green menace sooner or later!
: Uhh, thanks I guess?

The drifters are still engaged with more fogmen, our group is safe... for now. There's another skeleton in the drifters group but it's not recruitable, the talk bubble is for the shek.

We finish off the last of the fogman group and move on, still carrying our wounded

For a while we move on a plateau where there is no fog. The walls of Mongrel are already in sight, but it's still not easy to get there.

: Town is close now... we will succeed!

More Fogmen camps on the way... We keep on moving along the road to mongrel.

We are very close to the intersection now which leads upwards to mongrel. However, there is combat happening there. I take a closer look at the fighters an...

A drifter fighting off a group of fogmen by himself and...

Uhh yeah. This thing. This is not good. It's a mist ghoul. These beasts are from a mod and terrifying. They are their own independent faction and have really high stats but no armor whatsoever. They always travel alone and come in several varietes. Think of them as mutated hivers with lots of spikes, teeth and a lot of anger. The fogmen are doing barely any damage to it despite the lack of armor!

Just as we enter the area, more fogmen attack us! This is not good. We already were weakened and are in real danger now with all this chaos going on.

: The town is so close... make a run for it and try to get some help if you can.
: Got it boss.. can't make any promises though, this isn't looking good
: What kind of madness did I get myself into with you guys?

As if it couldn't get any worse, a Hive Praetorian is also following us! These big boys have 400 head hp and over 200 in all body parts. They're tough, they're big and have a mean weapon. We can't outrun any of these guys at the moment and just have to tank the hits with our skeletons and hope they wont go KO before they reach mongrel...

Servbot goes down and drops Angry Lobster. They both get picked up immediately.

One of the Mongrel Gate guards noticed the ruckus and rushes down to beat up the fogmen. He alone won't be enough though.

Sadneil manages to reach the gates! Not much further now.

: Hey, can any of you chumps maybe give a hand? You can clearly see that we're in trouble... Goddamn lazy humans!
: I promise to cook a nice meal for everyone, if you just help, okay?

Enticed by free food the guards start to rush down the stairs.

After getting through the gate Sadneil drops off Dr. Boom and rushes out. My goal is to save everyone I can and carry them inside the city gates where we are actually ~relatively~ safe. The city of Mongrel is full of strong guards who all are willing to defend the city against the constant fogman threat.

Servbot managed to wake up from his KO state and helps taking down the praetorian.

: Green Hive are bad people. We must destroy them all!

Can't even go for 5 seconds without one of those jerks picking up Angry Lobster trying to carry him off :argh:

And again...

The prize for defeating the Praetorian (by the gate guards) is a nice loot item worth 9.6k. We nab it and in the process kill the Praetorian.

Entering the city we are approached by a strange hiver. I have Dr. Boom slowly walk up to it.

: Beep!
: Uhh... Hi Beep?
: .. how... how do you know my name?
: You just said "beep" for no reason, so I thought maybe you were introducing yourself.
: You must be some kind of genius seen?
: Are you taking the piss ?!
: Can I join you? I want to become strong, become a swordsman
: You don't look very strong. You don'T even have a weapon. Do you have any skills?
: I have nothing. They exiled me from the Hive.
: I don't blame them
: I am defective. Not good for the Hive. But Beep doesn't give up. Beep is trong! Since I left the hive I can feel my mind changing, the way I think, I feel free, having thoughts I never had before. I want freedom, but everywhere I go things try to kill me or chase me.
: Beep tires of running. Time to stab things that chase me.
: *sigh* Another weak nobody. How much money do you want?
: Money? I don't know what that means.
: Welcome to the Team!

And so Beep, the STRONGEST warrior joins our team! Beep is a legendary meme among all Kenshi players, for good reason. He's the character who has the most player dialogue by default and givien that he's a very weak worker drone who starts with 1s in all stats it's a real challenge to keep him alive.
Having him grow strong is very rewarding though! Having Beep join us was requested and I was happy to fulfill that request.

And so we leave off our team for today. Beaten and bruised, we managed to somehow drag everyone safely inside Mongrel and into a tower of the Shinobi thieves! That membership already is coming in handy... I bought some gear there for everyone too.

: Can't believe we survived this.. but I'm grateful nonetheless.
: What does not kill us, makes us stronger. As long as my pants don't get stolen, I don't care.
: Now who might that legendary warrior be? We'll see soon enough I guess. For now, let us just rest and heal up.

Next time: A journey to the north!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hell yeah

also goddamn that was a ton of battling

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It really was, especially at the hub, the battle was still going on when we entered Vain. There just was a constant influx of people wanting to beat each other up.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The running battle in the Fog Islands and Mongrel are nail biting, good job on not losing someone.

Dakona
May 3, 2014
Managing to survive all the running about in hostile territory is honestly impressive. All my runs into the Fog have ended up with at least one person getting something smashed up or lopped off.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
The game really was out for blood right then, wasn't it? Man, Kenshi just loves its gigantic battles. Great job on getting out of that mess alive, that looked like quite the close call there. It's a shame the team didn't get much out of it aside from a few trophies.

Also, the robochef is a perfect addition to the team. I wasn't expecting to see such an unusual recruit be generated, though I suppose I should've figured it would've been something odd like that. This is Kenshi we're talking about after all.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I enjoy it as I've never had any other job other than cooking in restaurants

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Dakona posted:

Managing to survive all the running about in hostile territory is honestly impressive. All my runs into the Fog have ended up with at least one person getting something smashed up or lopped off.

That is the absolute truth. I’ve gotten attached to the characters in this LP, I’m glad they all made it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Kenshi rocks.

Add me to the list if you pick up any more Hivers. Love those weird stick-legged dudes

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks for the nice words everyone. I was pretty worried when I saw that big battle going on at the intersection leading up to mongrel. Usually i approach the city from the east side which has a much shorter entranceway. Luckily the fogmen picking up our fallen warriors followed the rest up the road and eventually ran into the guards! We'll be looking at mongrel proper next update.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those ridiculous battles are some of my favourite parts of Kenshi. Pity they're rarer in other areas, the Hub is nice in that it's in the middle of a zone with a lot of opposing factions.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Recorded next part. We're getting new recruits! Lots of text this time though, I wish there was a text dump available of the game sometimes.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just wanted to let everyone know that work/life balance has been a bit off lately due to Christmas season, I'll try to work on the update this weekend but it might take till next week, just as a heads up. :)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is it wrong I'm a little offended they never tried stealing my unconscious body? What a bunch of freaks! I'm just glad there are guards around to kill these fog jerks.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Just wanted to let everyone know that work/life balance has been a bit off lately due to Christmas season, I'll try to work on the update this weekend but it might take till next week, just as a heads up. :)

Sure! Take all the time you need, Christmas is really busy. Until then, I can't wait! :neckbeard:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks for the kind words everyone, Christmas time is the worst at my job. I've currently made all the screenshots for the update, so all thats left is writing up the text / portraits etc. Should be def ready for the weekend!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Update 5: The price of obedience

Welcome back everyone! After a well deserved rest our group is ready for travelling and exploring. Having survived the fogman menace last episode everyone came out of the battle a little bit stronger.
Getting hit mainly trains your toughness and melee defense stats, meaning everyone will become more adept at blocking and take less damage. Toughness is actually a weird stat, you begin at a whopping 64% Bonus damage at 1 toughness. At 50 you finally reach the point where you no longer take extra damage. After that it will go up until you eventually reach a maxmium of 65% damage reduction.

: Still can't believe we managed to get out of this one alive.
: I never doubted our success for even one minute. Have more faith in your glorious leader!
: Easy for you to say, bossman. You're not gonna be someone who ends up on the menu when you're grabbed by these bugmen!
: I'll have to consider these kind of ideas for my next cookbook...
: Hiver's no tasty! Very chewy and rough...
: Silence! There will be no manmeat served in this group, no matter if bug, shek or human, you hear me? Let us explore the city for now, we can decide on your next steps after that.

As dramatic as the battle was in the last episode, our skeletal party members were never in any real trouble because the fogmen won't kidnap them (with good reason). Their weapons are mainly blunt too so you have little chance to bleed out from them.

Here we have an actual overview of Mongrel. It's a huge fortress town filled with lots of guards and hardy people who have created a refuge for everyone who got lost in these mists. The general idea is that you can get to Mongrel if you're lucky, but you won't be leaving ever again because the area is so dangerous.
The town has every kind of shop you could need, 2 bars, one inn, a ranged/melee weapons shop, armor shop, clothes, cybernetics shop etc. Even a Shinobi Thieves tower! It's still not adviseable to stay a long time in the city though because guards can get stuck in melee combat alone and eventually get overwhelmed/dragged off to munchtimes.
I've seen the town gates become completely empty because guards had been kidnapped/killed when you stay around the town too long.

Mongrel also has a lot of facitilies, including some grain silos (but no actual farming fields despite there being a LOT of unused space), corpse furnaces nobody uses and these... oil drills. They're unique, you can find them in the assets and build them via the debug menu but they don't do anything. It seems originally the game was meant to have oil as a resource as well.

The town has two entrances, we entered via the western gate last episode. This is the eastern gate with no road, it's also heavily guarded though.

Our group heads off to a nearby shop and sells the fog prince head etc. for some cash and heads to a nearby bar, checking for new recruits. Inside we stumble upon 2 conversations at once.

:hb:: N-no no...
:hb:: Wreee!
:hb:: H-hiver! Stay away! Nooooo!
:smith:: Don't mind him. We buy the poor guy drinks sometimes but... he's never really been the same since the Deathyards...
: You are aware that he IS a skeleton, right?

The guy spouting this reaction to our hiver buddies is randomly chosen, it has picked hivers before for me which is even more funny. The other guys just had a very short conversation.

:tinfoil:: So, what do you think made the fogmen?
:shobon:: Parasites in the brain, nobody knows where they came from, though.

The origin of these fogmen is pretty obscure, they have no real "main" settlement, they just exist. If the western hive queen is killed, the settlements immediately are ruined and overrun by fogmen. Some speculate that hivers still under control by a queen getting seperated from her violently basically makes them go crazy and they go into this fogman mode. After all hivers that just lose their connection to a hive over time don't go crazy and instead develop individual personalities

Also inside the bar we find this charming fellow. This is crumblejohn, a unique NPC you can recruit who actually has some unique dialogue. He also looks horrifying, being thin like a (human) skeleton, having crazy long limbs with a crooked back.
We'll ignore him unless someone really wants to be crumblejohn. The painted dude in the back is from a mod, so I ignore him too.

We move on to another bar and find the group of drifters that saved us sitting there! The skeleton apparently has no repair hits, so I repair it out of gratitude.

We also head on to the shops. I buy Dr. Boom a Falling Sun and get Verbal a Frame Axe. This shop also sells a Masterwork Samurai Armor which is tempting, but having a really strong chestpiece means it will be harder to raise toughness so I skip it... for now!
Heading over to the Inn we find...

A scorchlander lady with some sick shades sitting at the bar! Let's talk to her.

: Stranded in this dead end town and for what? Some puffed up tech hunter rumour of AI Cores and CPU units? Well goodbye blue skies, goodbye sunlight , so long desert breeze. Now there's the sounds of the fog to listen to instead.
Listen to that and there you've got yourself a few sleepless nights... And don't even get me started on food! How much longer are the reserves gonna last on this marooned island eh? Ugh...
: AI Cores? CPU Units... you've got me there Lady. But what are you even talking about? The sky is as blue as ever and the sun is out bright. This town is above the fog!
: Anyway, looks like you're one of us now, eh? Welcome to the party! If you don't wanna be a party pooper don't talk about the fog... or what's in it for that matter. The screeches and groans are enough of a reminder already.
: How long have you been here?
: Too long. don't tend to keep track of the days in this place, but I'd say a year or so now. Long enough to start feeling the Mongrel crazy at least.
: If you've stayed here for a year and haven't run out of food I don't see the point of starting to worry now? I'm just glad I don't have to bother with any of these... organic needs. Still, you might be useful, having lasted that long out here Why not leave with us then?
: Well... you've got a nice sized crowd folling you... and you all made it here in one piece. That's something... but is it enough, I wonder?
: Uhh yeah, about arriving here.. I'd rather not talk about it to be honest.
: -She grows silent as she fidgets with the scar on her hand- Ah, to the abyss with it. I might never get another chance...

Welcome to the team, Artichoke! We head off to the Shinobi thieves to rename her.

Dr. Boom and our Skeletons get a well deserved rest on the skeleton repair bed. It's expensive (2000 cats) but we had accumulated quite a few points of wear damage, Dr. Booms leg also was in a really bad state and would have taken ages to heal naturally. I also spend most of our remaining money buying two Industrial lifter armors from him that increase his strength. I orginally planned to have him being a martial arts character "Dr. Boom and the fists of Doom!" basically :P Since other people wanted to be martial arts skeletons I'll have him be a heavy weapons user instead, the strength bonus from cybernetic limbs works well with that.

While running back towards the Shinobi thieves tower to check for backpacks I notice a commotion outside the west gate...

: Where there's combat there's loot for us!
: Let's check it out. We should be safe near the gate.

Among the fallen we find another praeotrian with 10k worth of loot and...

Several knocked out people from the holy nation! The wandering recruits mod adds both "drifters" and "holy nation" roaming squads to this area. Mongrel is automatically hostile to the holy nation, the city being mainly consisting of refugees. We loot them for all they're worth, their gear ranges from cheap peasant wear to high grade weapons. There's about 7 of them, all knocked out from the guards.

: These men are members of the holy nation. Show them no mercy, loot everything you can!

I also find a knocked out fog prince not far away, thats another easy 6k for the head.

: Yoink! :) These come off easier than you'd think.
: As much fun as it is to be scavengers... got any ideas what to do next boss?
: I've studied the map of the surrounding area. I think we should head further north... for now.
: We got beat pretty badly last time... Maybe we should just stay for a while?
: Beep does not fear any foe! We should fight our way out.
: I haven't joined up just to stay in this hole... Let's go I say.
: Our group has gotten bigger and we have upgraded our equipment by quite a bit. I say we scout the eastern exit and head out if it's safe.

Our group heads out east, we find a mongrel guard in combat with a lot of fogmen... they're much stronger than an indivudal fogmen but they're ganging up on the guard quite badly. A good time to test how our group fares against the fogmen groups now.

: Attack!

It's quite a large group too. Upgrading our Arsenal has led to a lot harder hitting attacks, combined with the small pool of fogmen hitpoints (50 on all bodyparts except the head) they start dropping like flies.

Here we can see Verbals Frame Axe (a hacker class weapon, from a mod). I thought these were a good fit since Verbal especially requested an axe weapon. His strength is too low right now and he swings it very slowly.

The fogmen managed to knock out Khanstant but we've won! The injured mongrel guard slouches back toward the city as we repair and heal our injuries.

: Good work everyone. We managed to stomp these puny bugmen quite handily this time I'd say!
: We had help from a guard... and Khanstant was knocked out.
: :gibs:
: Good enough I'd say. Let's head back to town and wait for daybreak. Then we shall move out. If anyone objects I'll just leave you behind. You've been warned!

We head back to the Shinobi thieves tower to heal up everyone while our skeletons use the night to train a bit more on some dummies. After daybreak we head out again and can look at the death and destruction we've wrought...

: I'm glad I can't actually smell anything, yuck!
: Good for you Sadneil. You and everyone else: Grab one of these corpses!
: ... is this guy always this crazy? I'll do it, but why?
: Shh, don't question the bossman. Better to just go along with it I say.
: Ohh, emergency rations. You're a smart one!
: :stonk:

And so everyone grabs a corpse. The reason I've done this is some extra strength training for everyone. The bodies each weigh 30 units and double the maximum bonus you get from encumbrance. It does look very silly though... The group continues to head further to the northeast.

We run into a duo of fogmen warriors. These usually escort princes, but theres none to be seen. Somehow everyone can manage to swing their two handed weapons with one hand while carrying a body. Fun fact: Everyone in Kenshi is right handed.

Even Khanstant can use his crossbow one handed! Also his precision fire skill is now high enough that his shots have 100% avoidance during the day. The skill is influenced negatively during nighttimes and when injured, but this should massively reduce the amount of friendly fire.

: :sicknasty:

We beat up the two warriors and move on. Heading further northeast we come across...

...a rather grisly scene!

This is basically what happens if you get captured in the fog islands. Fogmen will drag you off to the closest camp and put on a pole. This basically rings the dinner bell for princes and warriors, who come running and start to eat the tied up victim alive while the normal fogmen worship the offering. This is also why that broken skeleton was going WREEEE.

: Now you know what kept me awake every night... we must be careful so this does not happen to us.
: ...
: I think I'm gonna be sick.
: Keep it together, ignore this and let's just move on... quietly.

Checking the map, we have ALMOST cleared the fog islands. However there is one fogman camp close by and we have to get past it. I tried to sneak past it but...

Some annoying fogmen spotted us right away and our group has to defend themselves.

In the back you can see the camp and a lot of fogmen patrolling there. They just keep running at us in small groups so it wasn't too much of an issue... yet. I also ordered everyone to drop the bodies so they can fight unencumbered.

Everytime we down a group of three or four another one comes running at us so I just tell everyone to run away from the nest for now.

: There are times to stand your ground and times to run... Let's move northeast and fight off anyone that followed us.

After exiting the fog filled crater the landscape changes quite drastically. There are huge construction girders everywhere.

: What is this place? I do not like it...

The area is just as foggy as the craters below, but it has a very different feel about it. As we move closer towards the center of the zone...

We are greeted with a very grim sight.

: Okay, okay, time out. What the HELL are those?
: ....
: I remember this place. Every skeleton should. It dates back to a past forgotten...

: After the war the behemoths lost their purpose.

: The irony is that it was their blind obedience and unquestioning loyalty that walked them down into that pit, entirely unresisting.
: The price of obedience.

The entire center of this area is full of these robotic skulls and arms sticking out of of the surface. If you walk closer there your characters can comment that the surface is slick/smooth, and entirely made of metal. The general idea/story behind this is that a really goddamn long time ago, there was a huge war going on.
Humans created gigantic war machines, including these huge skeletons to fight their battles for them. When this war was over nobody knew what do with these engines of mass destruction. So they dug out this giant pit, ordered everyone to march in and just buried them.
Normally this area is quite empty with only a lone robot spider or crazy skeleton you can rarely run into. However, since I'm using the mist ghouls mod this is their home turf. And we really dont want to mess with them right now.

: ... There's nothing for us here. Let's move on.
: I swear. You will have your revenge, my foolish brothers and sisters.

Moving on directly to the north, we come another zone which is full of the remnants of the past, the floodlands.

: This place doesn't look very inviting either to be honest.
: Lots of iron, but no life.
: I remember this place being very different.
: Now it's the floodlands. It doesn't matter what it used to be. The rain never stops here.

Moving into the floodlands, Dr. Boom starts to remember more things.

: This place is is a relic of the old world.

: Machines building more machines to build more machines with.

: This is where I was born...

The area is full of ruins of absolutely gigantic buildings. Given what Dr. Boom just said, there probably were vast production complexes for manufacturing skeletons and other machines here in the past. Unlike the deadlands, the ground and water is not polluted/acidic somehow.

Our friends, the iron spiders return as well. Sadly they are still hostile. We decide to fight one to see how it goes. I had put everyone on hold so they dont get hit from the area of effect.

: You got this boss, I'm sure of it.
: Easy for you to say, fleshbag!

The spiders hit quite hard, thats over 80 damage! Of course some of this is due to our still rather low/mediocre toughness. I decide to have everyone pile on the spider.

And down it goes... beep got knocked out for a short while. These regular Iron Spiders don't have great loot, but taking any piece will kill it for good. I plan to "Tame" one later but we need a cage/prisoner pole for that.

: I don't feel so good....

Ignoring Artichoke we keep moving northwest, until we eventually come across a leaning tower.

Just as we are about to head inside.... damage numbers in the background! I decide to check it out with the magic powers of the camera.

It's a hostile skeleton fighting some cannibals. I decide to ignore it, our metal brother (in spirit) will have no issue beating up these scrawnies.

Inside the tower the place looks pretty trashed / ransacked, but theres still a lot of loot left in the containers. Also some beds! We use the opportunity to rest up. The loot is pretty meh aside from some blue science books. Angry Lobster has weird ideas about how to sleep in a bed.

: Are you really sure about that? It doesn't look very safe to me...
: What's wrong with living on the edge?

Our team heads out at night after resting up a little, the place being quite eerie in the darkness.

Heading much further north, we come across another intact tower! This one has a little windmill running at the top.

There's also a skeleton standing outside! It heads inside the tower and we follow it. A talking prompt comes up...

: Oy bossman, I know you usually do the talking to the newcomers, but I wanna have a shot at this too. How about it?
: Fine, but if you mess this up, you'll be the first one to land in the cooking pot if we need to sacrifice someone, got it?
: Okay okay.. here goes!
: Let me guess, another adventurer? You certainly don't look like the scavenger type, or the bandit type either for that matter...
: That's right, I'm searching for treasures.
: The Floodlands mostly attract the adventuring type, like you said. It's full of lost treasures, so why wouldn't it? Anybody else of sane mind wouldn't risk the spider bots, they keep most of the more hostile trespassers at bay at least.
: But life holed up in this tower can get dull, so it's always good to share shelter and exchange stories with fellow adventurers.
: Tell me more about these treasures.
: Just take a look around you'll see with your own eyes, the place is rich in history and lost tech. But the spiders make it hard to recover those treasures. Many adventurers are smart enough not to take the risk, others are brave enough to take the challenge, but many of those don't come back.
: Which were you? Smart or brave?
: The prior of course. I'm just not wired to take unncessary risks.
: So what are you doing here?
: Skeletons aren't as perishable as humans like yourself, but we still have a limit to our existance. We start to seize up over time. Or we stop working suddenly, without warning. My time is near, my parts are wearing and I'm not as durable for exploration as I used to be. So here I am, retired in the solitude of the Floodlands.
: A shame. Still, I'm sure you've had your fair share of adventures.
: I've travelled the Eastern Ashlands to the Southern Swamps. Recovering lost relics and lost pieces of history is something that's always satisfied me. And, of course, watching human behaviour as the world evolves and falls...
: Tell me more about human evolution.
: Nothing ever truly changes. Trends, fultures, languages, rulers... they come and go. But behaviour bred from greed and fear hold human evolution at a standstill. Any kind of progress made is usually destroyed... reset in one way or another. Like a wave, it evolves and it falls again...
: Pretty deep for one with a metal brain.
: A skeleton has a lot of time for deep contempplation. Especially one that has lived alone with nothing but spider bots as company for the last three years...
: What about eating dirt and scrap for however long it took me to reboot?!
: So, why don't you take one last adventure with us?
: If I have the company of fellow adventurers like you I suppose that shouldn't be too much for me to handle, and I always enjoy the study of human companionship. I'd enjoy nothing more than a last adventure. Let's go. You lead, I'll follow.
: I will be the one doing the leading here, thank you very much

And so we welcome another goon on the team. Nark0 joins our group with stats in the 15s~ so she isn't completely helpless. Nark0/Burn is one of the three guaranteed skeleton recruits in the game along with Sadneil. We'll grab the third one too for sure, but that will have to wait for later.
We use the opportunity to heal our skeletons in the tower, since it has a repair bed. There's also some containers with some meh loot that I grab. suddenly I notce a group of people running past the tower...

Cannibals! And they're carrying some poor guys off. I decide to give our group some extra combat experience.

These scrawny cannibals are one step above fogmen on the food chain. They have 80 hp on all body parts, wield iron sticks and generally have very bad stats. We beat them up easily.

The freed holy nation outlaws immediately zoom off without even healing after the last cannibal falls unconscious.

: Goddamn humans, can't even appreciate being helped... :argh:

We head straight east from Nark0's tower, into an entirely new area...

Welcome to the hidden forest! This area is pretty much northeast from obedience, and north of holy nation territory. You have to cross the floodlands to get there from the fog islands kind of. Scouting a little bit ahead we see...

Some ninjas getting beaten up by giant red painted naked cannibal ladies. :stare:
Yeahh, these are "legit" cannibals, they have regular human health pools, stats in the 30s/40s and actually wear weapons. Bad weapons most of the time but it's a huge step up from the scrawnies, trust me. We decide to rush in and help out the ninjas.

We outnumber the cannibal group and easily beat them up.

: I wish we could have a more culinary exchange, but alas...

In the middle of this zone we find an unnamed village. Approaching it...

... it looks quite quaint and well fortified! Our group comes closer...

And is immediately stopped by one of the ninjas. It's noteworthy that almost all ninjas/guards here are female.

:ninja:: You're tresspassing on private land, Human. Cooperate peacefully and we won't have to resort to violence. What do you want?
: Meatbag, I think you need to get your eyes checked out. I'm a lot of things, but being human... not in a thousand years. That aside...
: I'm a merchant. Can I trade here?
:ninja:: A trader, huh? Well your timing couldn't be better. Restocking our reserves is becoming more and more difficult with the nearby cannibals hordes attacking all of our usual suppliers. Our stocks have begun to run low...
:ninja:: You're free to rest up and trade, but you'd do well to keep your head down and make it quick. I have no qualms with Skeletons, but I can't say the same for the other villages. Many of them are devout Okranites and hon-humans can maek them nervous to say the least.
: Thanks. What is this place?
:ninja:: All you need to know is that we're the enemies of the Holy Nation... Same as you. We're the closest thing to allies you're going to find this side of the world, so I trust you'll keep our location to yourself.
:ninja:: The less you know the better. We're done talking here.

Time to check out the village!

Well, the gate guard wasn't exactly wrong... the people are pretty upset by our group. The trade might refuse to sell to you if you talk to them with a non human. Checking out the dome building we find...

... the headquarters of the flotsam ninjas, the leaders of this village and sworn enemies to the Holy Nation. A blonde greenlander woman has a talking prompt, so we speak to her.

: Naevia sounds mean.
:woop:: Not at all! She took good care of me.. And you know what I AM good at? Running! Running free, running from all the chaos... leaving it behind in a dustry trail. I love it. So you need a runner, I'm your girl!

: What about your sister?
:woop:: Naevia? She's gone. Died doing what she loved doing, fighting the Paladins and that's all that matters. WIthout Naevia here, there's nothing for me, and the Flotsam Ninjas have got plenty of runners, they won't miss one more.

: How much do you charge?
:woop:: I'm a simple woman, all I need is my daily bread. But, in honor of Naevia, the thoughest Flotsam Ninja to ever live, I'd appreciate a 3000 Cat donation to support the rebels in their fight. That's all I ask!

: ... But she's dead. So she clearly wasn't the thoughest ninja, or else she would still be alive! But in any case... it' sounds fair. Let's go.

Welcome Pia! For now. Pia is going to be Catalina as soon as I find a plastic surgeon to rename her. Recruiting uniques is super inconsistent. With Burn it let me rename it to Nark0 but Beep/Shryke/Pia for example don't give you this kind of window where you can rename/reshape the character.
In any case, welcome to the team! Catalina is really good at running and starts with a 50 in athletics, the other stats are kinda low but thats okay. We can always train you.

Hearing a commotion outside I pause the game and...

Flying magic cannibals! They are rushing straight for the town. I have no idea where they came from. It's quite a group too.

The cannibals attack us and the flotsam ninjas head on. The red haired woman in the front is another unique recruitable named Knife with nothing special/unique about her so I skipped her.

: More Cannibals! Did they follow us?
: I doubt it. I think this is a pretty normal occurence here. We are dangerously close to cannibal lands after all...
: Less talking, more fighting!

The fight quickly turns into a HUGE messy brawl. People are getting hit left and right.

With the help of the many flotsam ninjas we manage to easily destroy the cannibals, nobody even went down! We also get very lucky that nobody was hit by the mounted turrets on the building. NPCs do not have any training in the friendly fire stat and can absolutely destroy you unintentionally.

Heading inside the building again for safety we find someone else worth talking to...

This is Moll, the leader of the flotsam ninjas! Her appearance is randomized but she is always a Scorchlander woman with white hair.

: Nowhere in this world is safe. People are either trying to burn us at the stake or they're trying to eat us alive.. But at least the cannibals are good for one thing: Target practice.
: The truest words I ever did hear...
: Anyway, you're here in my space, so I guess you want something, huh? Ask away, I've got nothing better to do 'til my next target drops by anyway...
: Are you really in the cult of Narko?
: Hah! The cult of Narko? I guess you've been reading too much Holy Nation bullcrap, huh? There are hundreds of possible interpretations of a single religion, the Holy Natino's just one of many. The only see black and white...
: Some of us are unfortunate enough to be born evil in their eyes, some of us take that status a step further by fighting those ignorant labels. I could go off on a rant about religion but I won't bore you.
: Please do.
: Most of my ninjas, the ones who escaped the HOly Lands, they still practice Okranism, but a different school of it. One where there is no good or evil, just birth and death. If you believe in Narko, check our outpost for scripts. You'll see there is no one 'right' view, only one of many possible views... But of course, myself? Welll, I think it's ALL garbage, hah.
: Agreed!
: Next question
: Are you the leader of the flotsam ninjas?
: Yeah.
: Why set up base in a land of cannibals?
: Because there's no Holy Nation here. No Empire, No slavers. The cannibals make a good detrrent anyway, not to mention they're mere insects compared to the Holy Nation. As long as we keep them under control, that is. My only one wish is that they'd learn how to wear pants.

At this point we have an option to ally with the Ninjas. Also noteworthy is there were several options to just say "die witch" basically and attack her from dialogue. I take the alliance because we will be hostile with the Holy Nation anyways and it has it's own perks and benefits.

: Can we join the Flotsam Ninjas?
: Well, in a world of fire happy religious zealots and flesh eating nudists, we can never have too many allies. Swear your allegiance to me and your defiance to the Phoenix, and I'll make sure my ninjas are always ready to protect you. Together we can take down the Holy Nation.
: I swear my allegiance to Flotsam.
: (For now at least...)
: Okay. for now you're one of us... Go forth in your slaughter of the Holy Nation lackeys! Spare the innocents, but show no mercy to the paladins, the priests and more importantly, that old cretin Lord Phoenix... Don't let me down, brother.

After that we immediately have the option to talk to Moll again.

: It's a longshot, but I need Valtena...Seta... either one of those idiots.
: I need to finda weakspot in the Holy Nation.
: The Phoenix and his two inquisitors, Seta and Valtena, form a strong defensive triangle between the three of them. The High Inquisitors fortify enemy perimeters, but take them out and the Holy Nation will start to crack.
: I'll do it, but I'll need some help.
: You're going in for the kill? You're one crazy man, Dr. Boom... I'm glad to have you on my side. But calm it for now. I've got a fort to hold and refugees to protect here, but my ninjas will help you.

[Received Note from Moll]

: Here. Find a patrol and give them this, they'll follow you right to the action. This is a loving huge undertaking though, Dr. Boom, make sure you're ready. I don't want my comrades blood on my hands for nothing.
: What will happen after we destroy the Phoenix and his Inquisitors?
: Who can say? Those idiot Okranites have pissed in a lot of peoples soups. They've got a few enemies waiting for their chance at revenge, and a few disgruntled city goers itching for an uprising too. Hopefully all those enemies will clean the majority of the army up for us. Okran knows numbers aren't exactly on our side. Then? Then we'll do our best to free the holy servants and protect the survivors... the ones that don't try to fight us at least.
: Leave it to me.
: Good luck, Dr. Boom.

The note from Moll will let us talk to random squads of Flotsam Ninjas and they can join us for free! they will guard us for a few days or die trying. Despite her comments there's no downsides to getting your bodyguards killed.

Buuut enough talking for now! With new allies, new party members and a new goal in mind we end the update for today. Next time we'll head further north and will try to get into the territory of the united cities. Until then I bid you farewell and thanks for reading!

Edit: Gave Moll her own icon to make things easier to read.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 12, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
Alright, Nark0 is in to kick some Holy Nation tail! Glad to know that I'll be coming with some decent starting stats (from being Burn).

...I'll probably need some pants though. Doesn't look like I've got any.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You got that right. :D I ditched the shoddy quality armored rag skirt because it had a pretty bad negative modifier to athletics and haven't found any new suitable pants yet. Priority purchase for sure!

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
*pumps fist in the air*

Yes!!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I love this game so much. Every time there's a graphical glitch or some oversight in how systems work as opposed to real world logic, it just makes it better.

artichoke posted:

*pumps fist in the air*

Yes!!

:neckbeard:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Small update, the next episode has been recorded! I ran into a lot of tech issues this time around for some reason, but nothing critical. I also just wanted to talk about the general direction the LP is going, im planning to let you, the readers, vote for how we deal with certain things.

Our main goal (taking out all main factions) still is set in stone, but I want to let you decide how we go about it, since there are often several ways to deal with this. Do you all think voting would be a good thing in general? I have some other things in mind we could change, like our faction armor colors, which armors to use etc. Let me know what you think.

Also I apologize for all the Skeleton applicants still waiting, they're rare as heck and I'm not having any luck finding them in any cities. I might just head back to black desert city and recruit a bunch there.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Our main goal (taking out all main factions)

Yessssss :getin:

I would love to do voting! Audience-participation Let's Plays are my favorite, especially when they end up in crazy mismatched messes.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
votes are cool. I feel like it takes a little pressure off the LPer.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
put me in and borg me thanks

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My own goal for the LP right now is sorta do a world tour of the important places/factions for now then tech up and build a base and start our scheming. I kinda hosed up by not going to shek cities when we were around the hub but I'll have to do it eventually. Next part will be all about the great desert and the UC.

Also added you Squirrel.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Quick update, I've captured the screenshots for the current update and will upload them later. It's a rather big one this time and probably the last one for the year. Thanks everyone so far who is following the LP and leaving feedback, I hope you all enjoy this dumb weird game as much as I do. :)

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
I've played over 500 hours of this loving game and finally put it down a couple months ago. This thread makes me want to fire it up again. Thanks for taking the time!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've got hundreds of hours in this game as well. I've been playing since before you could construct a settlement. Long before there were any races, or even sound. I love that this game is getting the attention it deserves now.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Merry belated Christmas everyone! Here's the last update for the year. Thanks so far for sticking the the LP.

Update 6: The Great Desert

Welcome back everyone! Our group took a well deserved rest in the headquarters of the flotsam ninja. Now that they're allied we can use their equipmend and beds without getting yelled at.

: It's time for us to move onward. I heard there was a city of the tech hunters nearby?
: Yes, It's called World's End. I've run some errands there for the Ninjas. See those mountains to the west? That is where we need to go
: Very well. Let's move out everyone.

The Courtyard is a complete mess still, there still were more cannibals outside but the ninjas wiped the floor with them.

The map shows us our goal, even if the city is not marked yet. World's End is actually very close by to the Flotsam's village. Our group immediately heads out. The short travel there is uneventful, but the sun has gone down by the time we arrive on the mountain

The town at night. It has three entrances, we arrive from the left side of the bar. Note the big lab building in the back and the statues of Okran at the entrance. Despite those we actually are NOT being called out for being a Skeleton for once!

: Strange. They have these statues of that weird human god at the entrance, yet I don't see any worshippers...
: It's just a rumor I picked up, but I think they have those to placate the few paladins that dare show up so far from their settlements.
: Huh, that makes a lot of sense. I guess they never tried to give this city a closer look, eh?
: Ahh, it's been a while since I trekked up here. I wonder if the Machinists still run that lab.
: That sound's like something we should check out for sure. But first let us head to the bar and see if there's anyone that could join our cause.

The bar itself is pretty busy, but there are no recruitable skeletons to be found. One of the tech hunters is sharing a rather weird story.

:cool:: Those Okranite women, they're just screaming for a good time and a guy to treat 'em right... Me, I met a beautiful woman, wife of a priest she was, long golden hair and the sweetest smile.
:grin:: Huh?
:cool:: I tell you, they got grace, those ladies. I taught her how to laugh, she taught me how to give a poo poo. But hell, nothing lasts in this world. I got caught with my pants down. Literally.
:grin:: Hur hur hur, and yet here he stands to tell his story. Go on, how'd you do it? How'd you get out of that one, eh?
:cool:: Jumped from a two storey window and managed to hitch a ride out of town, clinging to the underbelly of a merchants Garru. had fifty paladins searching the place for me...
:grin:: HUR HUR HUR, sounds like a HAIRY situation! Get it? HAIRY, hur hur hur!
:cool:: ... Garru don't have hair! Jackass...
:grin:: What? Sure they do! ... Right? Yeah, they do!
:cool:: ...

: Foolish fools.

Yeah, I'll let you be the judge about that one... We head out to the large building in the back since the other stores are closed for now. Inside the large lab we find...

... some Skeleton wearing orange monk pants! Let's talk to him.

: What brings you to World's End University? Do you need something?
: Can you tell me about this place?
: Here we study and analyse lost tech from the ancient world, slowly but surely we're uncovering the secrets of our forgotten history. The problem is that most ruins have already been scavenged, making it difficult to develop accurate theories without solid evidence...
: So our tech hunters scour the unexplored lands for any possible remains we can use in our research, but most of it needs to go through me first... If you're an adventurer looking to sell reics, just make sure you bring them to our stores rather than elsewhere, okay?
: Sure, I'll bear that in mind. I also had some questions about your work...
: Look, you don't need to worry... no one will ever know the truth. As long as I am Finch's second in command, I will see to that myself.
:Glances around ... Let's not waste each others time with this act anymore.
: What are you even saying? I'm someone who lost most of his memory. I remember fragments, but most of it remains obscured. Travelling has helped me regain some memories, but if you have kept any records here it would help me out a lot.
:I will not speak of this any further. Now it that's everything, I've got work to do...

Well, now that was pretty ominous, wasn't it? Clearly there is some sort of obfuscation going on here. This dialogue only happens if you talk to Iyo with a Skeleton. Let's talk to it with Khanstant instead!

: Keep loitering our aisles, drifter, and you'll end up trampled by sleep deprived scientists.. What brings you to World's End University? Do you need something?
: I had some questions about your work...
: Did you have something specific in mind? There's not a great deal of information I can enlighten you with that hasn't already been documented in our records...
: Can you teach me about world history?
: With all due respect, traveller, asking me to sum up the history of our world is not much different to asking a doctor to teah you medicine in ten minutes. On top of that, many scientists have different theories on events. I suggest you browse through our library if you're interested to know more.
: The Holy Nation talk of a first extinction. What do you know of it?
: The first Extinction? I personally believe it to be a plague epidemic, but Mr. Finch stands firmly by it being a 'freak tornado'. Whatever it was, it appears that the skeleton was better equipped to survive it. But, human nature is to sacpegoat, in particular thos that are different to them...
: Our physical differences, in a time of panic and turmoil, only provoke further fear and clinging to ideas of blame. Hence the condemnation of my kind as playing a part of the downfall by the Holy Nation.
: You existed way back in ancient tiems, right? Can't you remember anything?
: The memory of a skeleon is not as long lasting as our bodies, unfortunately. I don't even remember if I existed within the ancient race, or not. Trust me, it is highly frustrating for a theorist to have possibly existed at the very time period they are dedicated to investigating.
: What happened to the ancients? And how did we come to be?
: Mr. Finch believes all organics to be direct descendants of smaller tribes outside of the ancient society. And the ancients? We think they would have lived disconnected from the rest of the world, a deady disease could have killed them off while leaving the skeletons and other tribes unaffected. But, again, there are many different theories on how we all came to be.
: Okay, thanks for the info...

So, as we can see the Info Iyo tells us is as vague as possible. It should be pretty clear that the skeletons in particular are into some really big secret they don't want anyone to know about. You can find hints all over the world, usually when someone let's something slip by accident. Like Quin talking about the chaos age, Skeletons remembering their creation in the floodlands, the horror at obedience. Also sometimes if you visit Black desert city as a human you will find a Skeleton asking you for forgiveness for what they have done while another skeleton just tells you that "he lost his mind don't pay attention to him".
Pretty ominous stuff!

The second floor of the lab is pretty busy, people work on the research table. Also someone is doing the "hiver houses are made of barf" speech yet again.

On the top floor we find the aforementioned Finch, the leader of the World's End University. I won't transcribe his speech because he's mainly annoyed and doesn't want to talk much. He does mention however that the Okranite statues there are to appease the Holy Nation.

: I feel uneasy about this place. It is full of lies and deceit. We should move out as soon as possible
: Shouldn't we check out the shops first?
: Or get some cooking utensils perhaps?
: No. we will move north, to the coast. We are still on this scouting mission after all.
: I want some fish!

Just as we head out of the north gate we are approached by this group of jerks. They're a member of the "Slave Hunters" Faction. Slaver Hunters are basically just a group of thugs trying to beat up people to enslave them. Their stats are in the 10's naturally this means...

... we completely obliterate them and send their corpses tumbling down the cliff.

: Pathetic. If these humans have to resort to such faulty logic, perhaps they should try to not pull this 'trick' on a group of our size.

Our group heads down the serpentines cliff of the mountain. Far to the north we can see the (dark) ocean and some well lit camp. Usually its a good idea to avoid those.

As the sun begins to rise Beep suddenly gets the idea he's the strongest warrior.

: Now that Beep is the strongest warrior ever, Beep needs to find a worthy foe.
: You're not the strongest warrior Beep.
: And some treasure.
: You're not even all that strong at all really, you need to be careful, your limbs get chopped off too easily.
: And some beautiful human ladies. FEMALE human ladies. Yes. I would like to see one of these.
: Hey! I'm a beautiful human female lady!
: BEEEEEP!?!?!
: What's that supposed to mean ?!?
: *swallows nervously*
: Answer me Beep!
: ...I... I did not know this...
: Hahaha haaaa!
: Shut it, you!
: Who... *beep* ... w-who else is female?
: I am, you fool!
: Beep is so confused!

:downs: This dialogue can only triger if you have at least 2 ladies in the group, one needs to be human. The other can be Shek. Beep is cool and a good meme.

We keep heading north and soon come across...

... a fishing village thats very pooly defended. Also more Skeleton Racism!

: :argh:

We check the bar and the shop but find nobody interesting to join. The unique Scorchland male NPC "Green Finger" who is good at farming can always be found here usually.

The local defense force here is named "Cannibal Hunters". Why?

Free roaming cannibals! Since there is no town gate they can just run in. We decide to get out of there asap and let the locals handle it.

Travelling along the coastline in the morning sun gives us a pretty scenic view.

: So since I'm new to this group.. what are we actually doing?
: .. I cannot divulge the full extent of my plans yet, but for now I am travelling the world, trying to find some of my lost memories.
: How do you just manage to lose your memories?
: Servbot here actually found this ancient heap of scrap in the trash. Somehow the Doctor managed to convince him to dig him out of that scrap heap and carry him to town, that's how I met them.
: Should I mention how you just sat around there, moping your fate? Cause that's what you did, until I came to kick your sad rear end.
N: Kick? You didn't even have legs!
: Well I do now, so you better run!

We manage to run into two lone inquistors and beat them up swiftly. Catalina has a built in "Holy nation" warning system with dialogue. Some other characters have this with spiders and cannibals.

Beep is having a fit again.

: Beep, we ganged up on these humans five to one.
: It does not matter! Beep wins! THERE WILL BE CHANGES!

Leaving the coastal area the land becomes more craggy again. If we moved further north we'd end up in cannibal territory again, which we don't want.

We continue west through an area named Bast. This used to be a large city of United cities, with several farmsteads and military outposts. However, it was completely destroyed by the holy nation. Strangely enough no dialogue relating to it triggered upon entering.

Immediately upon entering we see a group of united cities Samurai rushing at a group...

... of Holy Nation pirates? I have no idea whats going on with their outfit to be honest, but I approve.

: They are fighting the Holy Nation! Attack!

After a short but messy melee...

... we beat the group and heal up. What I have not mentioned so far is that bast is an absolute HELLHOLE of a warzone. There are at least 6 conflicting parties roaming through this area. So far we can add:

+ The Holy Nation
+ United Cities

It won't stop there.

Uh oh, this is a huge group of paladins ahead. Abort, let's take another route...

To the southwest there is a big skirmish happening. At least it's not just Holy Nation.

: Everyone, move down to that destroyed outpost. We will try to sneak through this conflict if possible.
: I don't feel so good about this plan...
: If you volunteer to play decoy for that group of paladins to the north, I'm all for it.
: :(

The Samurai are doing their best at holding off the Paldins and Holy Servants. Also note the dead cannibal? That's another faction here.
+ Cannibals!

We try to walk through the warzone but...

... of course the Holy Nation spots us and attacks.

: Fight everyone! Smash!

Catalina is the first to go down.

Khanstant, Beep and Artichoke follow. This is not looking good.

Uh oh. Pretty much everyone is down. Angry Lobster is doing his best but eventually gets struck down too.

Eventually only Verbal and Dr. Boom are left, their legs too crippled to stand. Dr. Boom however does not give up and stabs with his weapon from the ground.

: Die, filthy humans! :black101:

Noticing that the paladins are actually not interested in beating us up anymore I take the time to do some field repairs. Skeletons are amazing in their longevity in the battelfield with instant repairs of cut damage.

Some Cannibal rear end in a top hat sneaks in...

... and grabs Artichoke out of all the available bodies! :argh:

Luckily we manage to beat him up before he sneaks away. We continue to heal up and bandage the worst wounds. We're no longer in danger of bleeding out but some of us are in recovery comas.

Stop beating us up, holy rear end in a top hat!

Zooming out from this battlefield, there's still a huge skirmish going on outside.

Another camera angle, oh my loving god its even worse! We HAVE to get out of here or we'll be stuck in battle until we are all worn down to dust.

Through a small miracle I manage to pick up everyone who's in a coma and heal up without being smacked around again. Nark0 gives some sound medical advice there. We head out immediately westard.

Finally some friendly faces! A group of flotsam Ninja...
+Flotsam

I manage to catch up with the group and present them with the letter from Moll.

: Thank you for your service. *mutters to himself* As meatshields...

The ninjas follow Dr. Boom and in the faction screen it shows a "bodyguard contract" for a few days.

Our bodyguards immediately run off to attack some Cannibals... we assist however we can in our crippled state.

Angry Lobster goes down again and drops Khanstat. Everyone else manages to stay up though.

One of the Cannibals died in this super dramatic pose. I love ragdolls. Also the sun is going down.We've been stuck in Bast for almost the entire day!

Agreed. Also immediately after the ninjas head off to beat up more cannibals...

Hungry Bandits have joined the battle! I decide to say gently caress it and just run at this point, leaving our "bodyguards" to deal with all the rabble.
+Starving Bandits.

So yeah, in Bast we have the following parties involved:
-UC
-Holy Nation
-Flotsam
-Cannibals
-Bandits

Also theres wild hungry bonedogs. In short gently caress this place unless you want to fight, a lot.

Looking to the north... Yikes! We DEFINITELY don't want to go there. However, we almost made it to a place called "Drin". Drin is basically the only place in Bast you want to go because...

... it's a small United Cities owned outpost. For some reason one Samurai alone is fighting off some rebel farmers with the entire outpost garrison not giving a poo poo. Also since nights are so dark... Here's a question. Do you want me to install a mod for brighter nights? I'll take a loss of immersion so you can actually see poo poo.

Drin actually has a bar and it's eerily empty. Since the town has no power there's also no light other than our lanterns.

: Your beds. I require ALL of them.

We head upstairs for a well deserved rest. The beds here actually cost 0C to rent so it's essentially free lodging. While our organics rest to restore their hitpoints...

... our Skeletons are having a little meeting.

: So, what excactly is going in in world's end? This guy, Iyo... he talked to me as if I was in on some secret plan.
: So is nobody here going to tell me either? You're all a bunch of traitors, I tell you.
: Actually, it's quite the opposite, boss.
: The machinists.. they keep the secrets. Iyo is just doing his job. Your memory core, is it damaged?
: I suppose it is. I remember fragments from time to time. Where I was created, what happened in Obedience... but I'm still unclear on the bigger picture.
: Your goal is to wipe out the humans, isn't it? I gathered as much from your ramblings.
: Sooner or later, yes. It is all I can really remember for sure. The absolute hatred. But why I hate them? That I do not remember.
: Let's just say... there are Skeletons who are on your side. Others just act out of self preservation. If the humans knew what happened, they would dismantle every single one of us. The Holy Nation is not exactly wrong about some things...
: Quiet. Don't speak to much of such things, you don't know if anyone is listening in right now.
: Let us talk more about this at a later point
: Fair enough. We should move out as soon as we can and leave this hellhole.

At sunrise we leave Drin and with that the hellhole that is Bast, behind. The insectoid creatures are Skimmers, they can hide in the sand to ambush you and are moderately strong. Our journey through the desert is uneventful and soon we come across the first city..

Sho-Battai! This city only has one entrance and contains a Shinobi Thieves guild. It's the tower with the cloth tent on top.

The city also, like most United Cities towns, has a ruler. This is one of the nobles of the UC. Don't talk to them, they will give you poo poo for it and ask you to kneel or do some other crap.

Meet another UC staple, the Slave shop! Despite the sign, the slaves are definitely NOT happy. Slaves are mostly humans, hivers and shek. If you buy one they start following you around. Once you get far away enough from the current city they will either join you or piss off and either thank you for their freedom or just say something nasty. They're a cheap but unreliable way to recruit people.
Since there was nothing interesting in town for us we leave Sho-Battai behind and travel further west still.

This chonker is one of the unique NPC named Ells. He starts the game with a bounty on his head, apparently he didn't pay his bar tab.

Uh oh, it's the same 'trick' the slave hunters use, except these are "Manhunters". Manhunters are a gang of bullies that will try to beat you up to sell you into slavery unless there are UC samurai nearby that could witness it. They're better equipped than the slave hunters and have stats in the 30s.

We managed to lure the dude who gave the "let's capture them" monologue away from the group and beat him up.

: Serves you right for trying to enslave us, rear end in a top hat!

The rest of the manhunters run by to heal their buddy and ignore us.

After a bit more travelling we reached the city of Heft, this is the capital of the United Cities. It's a huge city with many shops and houses and yet another Thieves Guild tower.

: This building looks important. Let's check it out!

The building is the headquarters of the United Cities. It's full of Samurai and equipment. There's also a throne and...

... this cheeky dude is sitting on top of it! And yes, most UC nobles wear these gaudy robes. The Tengu mask is from a weapon mod I have installed, as is the feather blade he wears.

: I have a bad feeling about this guy. Hey Beep, why don't you make yourself useful? Speak to him?
: Beeep!? Okay...

And yes, his name is actually Emperor Tengu.

: [He eyes you up and down, too lazy to even move his neck]
: Oh... thank the moons you've arrived now of all times, outlander! A new hero is exactly what my empire needs... I have a favour of you, swordsman. An ancient Grievewraith plagues our land, it kills our cattle, terrorizes our people...
: !?! How can Beep help?
: But someone like you will be able to track it down. With that sword of yours you'll be able to kill it once and for all! I'll reward you well for this, hero. Status, treasure, slaves, You name it!
: Leave it to Beep, my lord!
: Okay, first you'll have to find Clunknard Spanner, the skeleton wizard. You'll find him to the South, in a tower of the mountain pass. He'll brew you the Elixir of Godly Powers that will help you to defeat the Grievewraith...
[Received Mystery Sack]
: Here, bring my seal to him so that he knows I sent you. [he pulls out a small sack]...
: [Beep opens the sack]
: [It countains the half-chewed stone of a greenfruit]
: [Beep closed the bag and nods confidently]
: [He starts shaking uncontrollably, making choking sounds and slapping his thighs]
: KWEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEH!
: ....

As soon as the talk finishes...

... everyone single guard in the building storms in and starts to ridicule Beep and our group. (Mostly Beep)

: We are leaving. And not coming back.
: [At least not until we will collect your head. Watch yourself, "Emperor".]

Heading to the local bar, I spot a Hiver warrior! Let's recruit him!

: Free Hiver for hire. Will work for food and a one time fee of 2000 cats.
: You are aware that is not "free", right?
: It was worth a shot...
: Fine. You're hired anyways.

Welcome, Zore! Zore is another Hiver soldier, just like Servbot, with all the same strengths and weaknesses.

As we leave Heft heading southwest we suddenly get ambushed by a group of Sand Ninjas during a Sandstorm.

The ninjas are pretty competent with their stats in the 25s-40s, but their armor is weak. We beat them up and only beep goes down.

Also here's the mystery sack from Tengu. We'll keep this out of spite.

Moving further southeast we enter the capital area of the Traders Guild, Heng. A little dialogue happens between Verbal and Catalina.

: Heng. Better hope we've got enough bribe money to survive this place...
: Bribe money? What, you can just buy your way through life in this place?
: Well, if you put it like that...
: Wow, sounds so easy! In the Holy Nation I'm powerless, but here all I need is Cats...
: Might want to make yourself some actual money first, b efore you get too attached to that idea...

This is Heng, It's actually a huge city split into two parts. The lower part here is Trader's Edge, the headquarters of the Traders Guild, while the upper part is Heng, a city of the UC. It's well fortified and has another Thieves guild!

Due to it being nighttime everything is pretty much unavailable. We take a rest at the Thieves Guild. We move out at sunrise to meet the leader of the Traders Guild.

: I hope he's more reasonable than that destestable 'Emperor'.

The building is pretty much the same as the one we found Tengu in. Lots of guards, equipment, and a throne! We approach the leader, Longen.

: Mm mm. The finest bloodrum... and it look's like I have a guest? Lucky, I'm feeling charitable. Have a drop.
: Don't mind if I do.
: [He pours you a shot]
: Do you know what's on my mind, countryman?
: Enlighten me.
: Tinfist... Tinfist and his ninjas. He plagues our guild, sabotages our order, sets our slaves loose. Industry and harvest aside, do you know what happens to escaped slaves, countryman?
: [I better play along with him for now]
: They stop being useful, start becoming a pest.
: Exactly.
: See the corpses that litter their paths. They terrorize drifters, nomads, merchants. They become yet another threat to stave off in the outlands. A feral will always be a feral. For themselves and for others, the best solution for taming a wild animal is to leash it...
: But Tinfist, ever the madman, unleashes these ferals on the innocent.
: So why not kill him?
: Because he can't be killed. Sever the head and the body will fall... but one hundred years and not one of these so called guards has put an end to Tinfists insanity.
: When you send ants to battle a legend, what do you expect?
: ... Legend?
: To take down a legend, you need another legend. Me.
: That's quite a claim...
: By all means, try all you will, countryman. Fight for us, fight with us against the anti-slavers and you fight for order, civilisation and prosperity...
: The choice is clear. The Traders Guild are the protectors of the working man. We are the lifeblood of all civilized land. In more way thatn you'll ever comprehend.
: Is that so? In any case, I bid you farewell for now.
: Hope you enjoyed the bloodrum, countryman.

Well, he clearly wasnt as deranged as Emperor Tengu, but still pretty coldhearted/sinister. Slavery and keeping the status Quo is what the UC/Traders Guild is all about really.

: [Tinfist... I remember that name. They spoke about him in the Black Desert City. Tinfist and Cat-Lon? I must meet this Tinfist. Maybe he can help me remember.]
: Does anyone here know anything about Tinfist?
: Uhh, just that he's a terrorist?
: The last time I saw him, he started a movement of Anti-Slavery... said he wanted to base it in the outlands, some place humans wouldn't ever look for him.
: The south then? That shall be our next goal for now. Let's move out.

And so we leave Heng behind as well.

Directly south of Heng is an area called "The Eye". To the left just outside of view are the Deadlands, where we started our journey! We start going south towards the series of hills in the grey desert.

In the distance we spot a huge object. Dr. Boom begins to recall something...

: Oh man, I forgot that thing is still there.
: Oh yeah, that loving thing.
: You can see it in the distance there.
: It's chugging away even now.
: I remember when it was flying around, wraking death and destruction everywhere it went...
: It's safe now though, good riddance to it.
: Shame the other one is still running though...

Whatever does it mean? We will find out some day.

"The Eye" is shrouded in a huge cloud of dust normally, it takes a few seconds to spawn, thats why we got a clear view before.

We run into yet another group of Sand Ninjas and beat them up without mercy.

: These guys piss me off. Say... does anyone know if there is a "market" nearby?
: What kind of market are we talking about here? Food?
: The kind of market where we could turn these chumps into money
: Ohh that... I think to the west of here would be the right place.
: Well, that's our goal for now then.

Everyone grabs a fallen Sand Ninja and starts running west.

The eye is really huge. We run past it on the way to the "Market".

And here we are! This lovely place is called Eyesocket for some reason. It's a huge slave market.

: Sheesh, can't wait to get rid of these guys, theyre starting to stink.
: But they're not even dead yet...
: They wear only black clothes in the middle of the desert. It happens.
: In any case, we should strip them of their possessions first...

And this is where we leave off for today! After a pretty eventful journey through the desert we met a lot of new people, most of them pretty nasty though. Next time, it's time to finally meet Tinfist and see if we can bolster our ranks further with Skeletons... until then, thanks for reading!

It's also time for our first poll... since Dr. Boom is starting to amass allies, it is time for us to start researching and producing goods in a safe environment before we move out. I've put up three options, the poll can be found below:

Poll: Where should we have a temporary base?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 26, 2019

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Put my vote in for a tech hunter city just 'cos. Enjoying this LP a lot so far!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted for Tech Hunter as well. Hopefully you can get some good equipment to make the squishies slightly less squishy and prone to leaking red juice (or whatever color the insects blood is)

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
"I'm not a robot?" Dr. Boom is gonna be real happy about that poll, I bet.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If you build a base in UC territory, the pricks will come knocking on our down and ask for taxes, the bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Hey all just an update. Am back from Christmas and new year vacations so the Lp should resume shortly. Looks like we are gonna tech up with the tech hunters.