Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Depending on where you go, it can be an extra level of enjoyment when you can actually relax that you aren't going to get run over by some tiny-dicked rear end in a top hat in a ford ranger. I wish we had more stuff around here, mostly the gravel roads I can ride are shared either by logging trucks or fuckwits going too fast.

E: got any close pics of the bike? You said it was a surly of some kind.

Yeah it's a surly straggler, I haven't got many close up pics for whatever reason

I had to change out the steerer for a much shorter one as the bike seemed to be set up for a person with orangutan arms (I am 190cm and I went from ~110mm to 65). The stock tyres are terrible, got replacements on the way, and the stock seat is mediocre but decent enough that I can take my time finding a replacement.

The brakes seem to have sintered pads and are pretty loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

Yeah it's a surly straggler, I haven't got many close up pics for whatever reason

I had to change out the steerer for a much shorter one as the bike seemed to be set up for a person with orangutan arms (I am 190cm and I went from ~110mm to 65). The stock tyres are terrible, got replacements on the way, and the stock seat is mediocre but decent enough that I can take my time finding a replacement.

The brakes seem to have sintered pads and are pretty loud.

drat that looks really nice. Nice colour etc. What tyres are you getting?

For the brakes you could try resin pads but I think disc brakes are always noisy especially when you are riding in dust and wet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks dude! Based on an intersection of price, size, tread pattern and rolling resistance nerdery I'm getting tufo gravel thunderos (preposterous name). I'm hoping they'll still have enough grip on dirt for my purposes while being more efficient on pavement, they're also 3mm bigger.

I figured that discs are just noisy, I have them on my mtb and I'm getting used to just making a lot of noise when I'm braking from 50kmh or whatever.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
They don’t have to be but commonly are. And once it starts you usually have to get ahead of it. Organic pads will help some for sure.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Embrace the honk

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Thinking about getting into gravel. I live in LA and there's a ton of fire roads in the mountains that seem fun.

Discovered a fire road up into the mountains thats paved (except for a short gravel section) and took my road bike up there yesterday, which just wetted my appetite.

Any advice on entry level gravel set ups? I like the Poseidon Dropbar X, but it's sold out in my size :(

Pic: road bike having a little fun pretending to be gravel.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Awkward Davies posted:

Thinking about getting into gravel. I live in LA and there's a ton of fire roads in the mountains that seem fun.

Discovered a fire road up into the mountains thats paved (except for a short gravel section) and took my road bike up there yesterday, which just wetted my appetite.

Any advice on entry level gravel set ups? I like the Poseidon Dropbar X, but it's sold out in my size :(

Surely you will get some answers about ready to roll bikes very soon here, but

Are you handy and/or into building bikes? I was able to build one up thanks to the generosity of some friends with their parts bins, rooting through my own parts bin, and getting a few things used at the local coop and used bike stores. I did have an older hardtail frame to start with, which is a big step. Definitely doesn't get you riding gravel anytime soon but I found it an enjoyable way to get into it. Until I got it into a rideable state, I just put the fattest cyclocross tires on my road bike that would fit and went after gravel/dirt anyway.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

Hello fellow LA goon. Which LA gravel is this? I spend quite a bit of time in the Santa Monicas.

What bike is that? It may have clearance for big enough tires?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

PolishPandaBear posted:

Hello fellow LA goon. Which LA gravel is this? I spend quite a bit of time in the Santa Monicas.

What bike is that? It may have clearance for big enough tires?

Hello! Sullivan Fire Road, at the top of Amalfi in Brentwood.

It's a Cannondale caad13. I've read various things on reddit about it on gravel. This guy put 32s on it.

Another reddit user told me that it would be too stiff to make a good gravel bike.

I was thinking of just throwing gravel tires on it, but then the second user is making me think twice about it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Really depends on the quality of roads/trails/paths /etc you want to take it down. Wider tires (lower pressures) can cover up a lot of bumps, but 32 aren't wide enough for much of that. 32s and a stiff frame will bounce you around a lot on anything bumpy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Awkward Davies posted:

Another reddit user told me that it would be too stiff to make a good gravel bike.

Depends on how severe the rocks/bumps you’ll encounter are. The 32mm tires would be doing most of the work to cushion things, so yeah, you don’t have as much tire volume and air pressure to play with. Even in the gravel genre, there’s a huge range of approaches, both in designed compliance and geometry.

Some gravel bikes are intended for long, not super tricky rides. They’ll have longer chainstays to be more stable when shifting around on loose rock and will be less nimble. That’s probably the main appreciable handling difference. Slacker head tube might be a bit more confidence inspiring on rocky descents.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

Hello! Sullivan Fire Road, at the top of Amalfi in Brentwood.

It's a Cannondale caad13. I've read various things on reddit about it on gravel. This guy put 32s on it.

I was thinking of just throwing gravel tires on it, but then the second user is making me think twice about it.

Nice. I was just there yesterday, but on my mountain bike to ride the singletrack down.

Here's a good overview of all the fireroads in the area if you haven't seen it already:
https://gravelbikecalifornia.com/santa-monica-mountains-gravel/

I think Sullivan Ridge and Canyon are the "chonkiest" gravel that I've been on. A lot of the other gravel roads I've been on are smoother sand fire roads (Dirt Mullholland, Westridge, Kenter, Temescal Ridge) and 32s should be ok enough. I think Gravelkings tend to be a bit bigger than the label once inflated too.

Gladly its dry here so you don't need to worry too much about mud bunching up and sand particles grinding away at your frame. I guess in the long run it would make sense to get something that has more tire clearance though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Bookmarking this thread. I have zillions of miles of private logging roads around me that I am trying to psyche myself up to explore and not get shot at or something

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Crosspost from the general bikes thread...

amenenema posted:

Is anyone doing a titanium gravel/allroad frame with racier geo that's etap only? Only thing I can find is either a Ribble prototype or going custom. Thanks in advance!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Cruising around on some farm roads by the sea

Also got a permit from my local mtb club to ride on some of these private logging roads around here !

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Got new tires, decided to take them on an inaugural ride, ended up doing the most physically punishing thing I've ever done due to navigational and judgement based errors, I now feel crippled.

See that gap in the forest? Guess who decided to aim for that gap on a whim, and guess what the gap is made of?

That's right it's sand, which is a rare form of gravel. Sand so deep I was having to get off and walk to avoid falling over half the time.

Eventually I realized it wasn't going to get any better when I reached the beach so I bailed onto a logging road at the first opportunity.

At this point I had completely deviated from my original plan and shortly after this I made a navigation mistake and ended up doing an extra ~15km of 'gravel' that was mainly fist sized stones that absolutely hosed me up. Eventually I found my way back to a road leading out of the forest instead of further in.

Pine needles - gravel?

After this I stopped taking pictures because I was in deficit of water, energy, physical and psychological condition. The last 50-60km were the worst thing I've ever done, I remember stopping for an iceblock and when I tried to stand up afterwards I just sort of couldn't and my whole body said nope. Got home in the end though. Tyres were excellent!

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 11, 2023

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Those kind of rides are the kind you look back on in a day or two like man that was dumb, but loving awesome too and you start planning another one:)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I still can't walk properly but that's already happening :negative:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Slavvy posted:

:shittydog:

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

Lol

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

gently caress yeah.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Finally got a gravel bike, so took it out for a little explore this morning. Most fun I’ve had in ages. Had to ford a river, got very sideways on a bridle way a few times, excellent day out.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Finally got a gravel bike, so took it out for a little explore this morning. Most fun I’ve had in ages. Had to ford a river, got very sideways on a bridle way a few times, excellent day out.

Nice, looks like a proper British 'gravel' day out, these bikes really are great for this stupid damp country :v:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm two days out of delivery for a lovely new bike that can take 45mm 700c and 47mm 650b.

Snow and rain need to gently caress off, I've got riding to do, drat it

EDIT:
FedEx smashed my seatstay. No bike for me until the replacement ships :wellpiss:

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 25, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Communing with the spirit

Giant pit of literal gravel in the bush

Giant pipe in the bush

I felt like a Real Man (tm) riding across this stream

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Double post because prior to that I recreated my earlier big dumb ride by making it bigger and dumber but, infuriatingly, my gps decided to pause for no reason at one point and I didn't notice for a good half hour so what should be my longest ride on Strava is like 15km short, you can see the straight line at the top

I also had to navigate these every 50m for about 3km which absolutely wiped me out; I did not account for the devastating cyclone of the previous few days when I planned the ride. I solved my earlier food problem by stuffing a pair of six inch subs into my jersey pockets with mixed result.

Beaches on a sunny day are hard work I tell you hwhat

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

very good :stwoon:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
drat I should move to nz

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gavel

Pavement

Grabble

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My riding buddy and I went to hit a good isolated gravel road but the wind was just godawful so I convinced him to take his bike on some single track instead and it was good.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

OUTSTANDING!

Crosspost from the main bike thread:

amenenema posted:

New gravel rig.

eTap XPLR is great. Waxed chains are great. Varia radar is great. Bikes are great.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

My riding buddy and I went to hit a good isolated gravel road but the wind was just godawful so I convinced him to take his bike on some single track instead and it was good.

Looks like gravel to me!

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I actually remembered to take photos of my mixed ride today. Probably only 50% gravel but still enjoyed it. I was meeting a friend for a pint and lunch at the 40km mark which was very nice.

I did get into a bit of a situation when I overtook a guy on an mtb who was going slower than I was. I said "hello", did the thing where you have to speed up a bit so it's not awkward but I heard him get on my wheel so I would have felt like a dick if I slowed down, and ended up towing him for about 8 kms at a pace above what I was really happy maintaining, until we got to what must have been his house when he swung out and said "thanks heaps for the tow" and then turned into the driveway. Once he was out of sight I slowed down significantly and spent the next few kms trying to recover.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Your bike rules and also that's the longest headtube I've ever seen. Are you super tall or is that just the geo of that frame??

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

amenenema posted:

Your bike rules and also that's the longest headtube I've ever seen. Are you super tall or is that just the geo of that frame??

I am pretty tall, not freakishly so but yeah it's just a big bike. Head tubes that length are what you get with old style steel frames with horizontal top tubes, as you go up a couple of sizes in seat tube length you have to go up in head tube length too. I normally ride a 63cm frame which has a head tube 220mm long.

But check out this one I bought a couple of months ago to fix up. 66cm seat tube and 245mm head tube.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is your pink bike on 27.5's?

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

Is your pink bike on 27.5's?

It is, and they are wonderful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I will travel far and wide to taste that sweet sweet spirit

Grass is just green gravel

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I will travel far and wide to taste that sweet sweet spirit
yes please

I skipped work and did a silly gravel ride that turned into bike skiing. Involved a couple hours of hiking through snow because there was more up to see

There's gravel under there, I'm told

34 mi / 5,300 ft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Anybody else doing BWR San Diego this weekend?