Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

getting things done or halfway done ahead of time is an excellent feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am planning on cornbread stuffing

I baked a bunch of cornbread muffins. The recipe says to make 3/8 inch cubes but when I cut them up a lot of them crumbled into dust.

There is egg that goes into the recipe.

Do you think it's important to have the cubes or can I make stuffing with 50% cubes and 50% dust and rely on the egg to hold things together?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

My husband and I are ramping up to host yet another huge Thanksgiving with friends. We have 10+ this year, which is a sizable crowd, but not the biggest one we’ve done (that one was insane and everyone still talks about it). It started out as a little thing for us and any friends not going home for Thanksgiving (a lot of our friends were still in school then), and evolved over the years to a serious tradition that a couple of our friends will travel to.

Our Thanksgivings are always super traditional and formal - I bust out the nice china and silver and cut glass and candles. I absolutely love hosting old school dinner parties, and one of the reasons we bought the house we did was because it had a huge elegant dining room (Victorians are great houses to buy if you like dining rooms). We don’t do a potluck format and just ask guests to bring booze and/or a dessert (they can put it as much or as little effort as they want - do an epic baking project or simply grab a bottle of wine or whatever, and since this thing originated when many of us were students, I didn’t want to make anyone have to cook in a dorm room).

Here’s our menu:

- Roast whole turkey
- Stuffing (Pepperidge Farm red label with homemade turkey stock, and a smaller batch with homemade veggie stock)
- Gravy (going by chef John’s recipe)
- Roasted acorn squash (for our vegetarians - it makes a really nice non-meat centerpiece dish)
- Lamb stew (precise recipe varies - sometimes it’s curry or middle eastern, this time it’s rustic European)
- Mashed potatoes
- Bourbon glazed sweet potatoes
- Fresh cranberry sauce (recipe on bag, in which I replace a good portion of the water with applejack and add a cinnamon stick)
- Jellied cranberry in a fancy bundt mold
- Roasted veggies (broccoli and such with herbs and olive oil)
- Salad (spinach with crumbled goat cheese, candied walnuts, and dried cranberries)
- Rolls

The absence of green bean casserole is 100% intentional. I despise it.

We don’t experiment or do anything outlandishly nontraditional. We don’t want to risk messing up/having it turn out gross and taking a whole dish out of the lineup or betray guests’ expectations (like having some weird fusion raw cranberry relish stuff instead of normal cranberry sauce). Besides, the comfy traditional fare is kind of the point.

It is always an excellent time.

Some things we have learned over the years:
- It doesn’t really matter if dinner is late as long as there is plenty of wine and appetizers. One year we were two hours late serving dinner. I don’t think anyone noticed or cared. Might not be the case with judgmental relatives.
- Homemade stock is absolutely worth it. Get some turkey wings (or a Friendsgiving turkey carcass), make ahead, and store in a pitcher for easy access.
- It was revealed to me that a number of my mom’s divine Thanksgiving recipes were just “buy [thing] and do what it says on the bag”
- Having a closed kitchen is a godsend. I couldn’t imagine trying to put everything together while being on display, especially in the early years when we would utterly destroy the kitchen and be running around like chickens with their heads cut off.
- Having an extroverted buddy be your proxy for guest management is good. When you’re catching your kitchen on fire or upstairs changing out of food-splattered clothes, this person can open the door and greet people, start/maintain conversations, and ply more booze as needed.
- why the gently caress did I buy white table runners

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sehkmet posted:

Thanksgiving dinner is my husband and I going to our in-laws' country club for dinner because a) the entire family is fractured as poo poo since Grandma died this year, b) mom-in law can't cook for poo poo and c) I'm not cooking for a bunch of loving ingrates ever again after my Easter frustrations.
Also I'm Canadian and this is the wrong Thanksgiving. :colbert: :canada:

Can we talk about Christmas baking projects or is it too early?

Always talk about baking projects.

I'm going to start my fruitcake this weekend, since it takes at least two weeks to come to full potency. Working the holiday so a couple of my guys can take the day off, but my family's not getting together until the weekend anyway, and all I'm responsible for this year is a relish tray. :D

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 28, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Today was a thing.

Got the 6lb (!!!) beef tenderloin seasoned and dry-aging in the fridge. Made the veggie gravy and a nice horseradish cream sauce and a shallot-thyme butter. Got the stuffing resting. Made Kenji's green bean casserole, got a gently caress ton of bread rising over night. Roasted hazelnut and vinegar dressing and roasted pears for the salad tomorrow. There's a whipped herb and feta dip to pair with a crudite as an app. And probably some other stuff. There was some lost time in there. It was like 7 hours of cooking today (and some drinking) but tomorrow it should mostly just be knife-work and shoving things in the oven. My little sister and her girlfriend are coming over at like 3 and we're gonna drink and play games while things roast.

I'm gonna get drunk and go to bed early so I can finish everything tomorrow. (And keep getting drunk.)

Sadly my girlfriend is stuck all alone dog-sitting and can't visit, so I'm gonna save her a bit of everything for when she can visit on Monday.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I am a lonely person who is gonna just be cooking for myself tomorrow. I don't really want to spend all day cooking or buy something that will just leave a ton of leftovers I probably won't eat, but want to at least want to make something that feels appropriate for the holiday instead of like, seeing what restaurants are open. I have a slow cooker to work with aside form just stove/oven. Any ideas on something to make?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if anyone does this, but we specifically don't eat much of the ham or turkey day of and save all leftover meat for leftover tortas(Mexican sandwiches)

We mainly fill up on sides :v:

Well, anyway, got a 15lb fresh turkey. Gonna try this here mayo coverage. Sage, rosemary, thyme in a mayo mix. Cover that bird up. Roast em. Hope for the best. I've done butter, I've done bacon wrapped (delicious), done it in bag, done it plain with spices. Sometimes you wanna try weird poo poo? Will report back if I ruin Thanksgiving.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Zerilan posted:

I am a lonely person who is gonna just be cooking for myself tomorrow. I don't really want to spend all day cooking or buy something that will just leave a ton of leftovers I probably won't eat, but want to at least want to make something that feels appropriate for the holiday instead of like, seeing what restaurants are open. I have a slow cooker to work with aside form just stove/oven. Any ideas on something to make?
Chicken quarter(s) over carrots and parsnips. Mashed potatoes if you want to bother for a small portion, baked potato if not.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Welp, I’m sore.

Broke down two turkeys, buttered, salted, herbed and ziploc bagged, will go into Sous Vide tmrw night. Broke down 16 lbs of shortribs, started a momofuku 48 hour sous vide.

Sous vide is nice because the prep work can be a day or two ahead of event.

SweetAl13
Jun 4, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Ok, possible dumb question here. I bought a pre-smoked Turkey this year due to some timing/family issues on the actual day of. Thought it would be easier to deal with.

I’m planning on heating it up for about an hour to an hour and a half at low heat. I also bought this Tony Chachere’s injectable creole butter a few weeks ago and am tempted to break it open and inject this pre-smoked bird, but I am unsure if it will have any effect considering the turkey is already cooked and won’t be in the oven long.

In short, I’d like to pump this bird full of creole butter but I don’t know if it’s a good idea with a pre-cooked turkey. Any thoughts?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

SweetAl13 posted:

In short, I’d like to pump this bird full of creole butter but I don’t know if it’s a good idea with a pre-cooked turkey. Any thoughts?

I can’t imagine it would be detrimental or introduce food safety issues since the bird is already cooked, but if no one here knows you could always call (or email or text) the Butterball hotline and ask them.

(I kind of wish I had a reason to call the Butterball hotline - seems like a lovely way to get good advice on cooking turkey)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Deboned a chicken, it flat

Then stuffed it with sage and onion stuffing and rolled up up all pretty!

Wait move your hand

boooooo

It should roast up good though. Good for a 2 person Thanksgiving. Having a SPECIAL MYSTERY GUEST on Saturday, doing a whole fun thing for that.

Mulan doesn't care what it looks like so long as she gets scraps.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 28, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That dog looks sick of your poo poo and three days from retirement.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

So far today:

• made collards
  • 1 hour argument with mom about collards
  • both boxes of phyllo I bought are hot garbage, sheets crumbling right out of the box, impossible to roll up anything in them, so the vegetable wellington is kaput and might become an ugly rear end pie

don't forget to drink and do drugs today to get through it

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

poverty goat posted:

So far today:

• made collards
  • 1 hour argument with mom about collards
  • both boxes of phyllo I bought are hot garbage, sheets crumbling right out of the box, impossible to roll up anything in them, so the vegetable wellington is kaput and might become an ugly rear end pie

don't forget to drink and do drugs today to get through it

I had a hot chocolate with Rumple Minze this morning around 10:30, as suggested. It's never too early to start!*

*I forgot it was 100 proof so the last few sips were a trip.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Patiently waiting for it to be 12PST so I can grab a beer without Judgment from my mother.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Today is going way too smoothly and I’m deeply suspicious. Also I have been drinking since like 11.

So mostly I’m just sipping cider and glaring at the roast like it’s going to ambush me.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Think my oven might be a bit off :thunk: or maybe the recipe makers oven just goes super nova. Anyway, turkey done. Veggies in the oven. Mashed taters next. 4 beers deep. Who cares anymore!

I do. I care alot.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Chicken roulade turned out great. So stuffed. A little high. Time to snuggle the bf

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

no disasters and a couple of standout new recipes. Thanksgiving accomplished.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Are those pearl onions

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Are those pearl onions

In bechamel. I've taken over almost every other item of the Thanksgiving menu, but my suggestions of roasting the onions, making the sauce more interesting, adding shallots, anything, have all been shot down by my mother and sister who insist on the way they've always done it. And honestly I don't hate it, I just wish I could convince them to try something with a little bit more going on.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Today was way too chill. It was down-right ooky--spooky.

We did everything as prep over the last couple of days, so today we just made the stuffing and baked some bread and made apps and were basically just drinking and chilling most of the day*. Slinging stuff in the oven at intervals or reheating on the stovetop.

I'm going to get nice and drunk and watch Amelie and eat leftover stuffing then sleep for 18,000,000 years.

*Note there must be a god drat typo in to the Serious Eats recipe for a roast tenderloin. It says like 3 hours for a 2 pound tenderloin but thank god I'm fussy cause after an hour and a half our 6-pounder was reading at 145F and needed to get out of the oven before it turned to leather. It came out out good at the end but if I wasn't paying attention it would've been awful.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Got up around noon and had a gin and ginger ale while making meatballs to take to the guys stuck at work today.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I didn't want to make mash potatoes because I was making dressing but my kid insisted so I decided to try something different and ferment the potatoes for 3 days. I peeled, cut, and soaked in 3.5% brine for about 36 hours. They were delicious. A sort of funky umami bomb which I enhanced with cream cheese, homemade yogurt, herb butter, and cream. Combined with gravy it was savory, funky, slightly sour, sweet, herbal, explosion of flavors that lingered on the palate. My daughter is a kid certified mash potatoes aficionado and said they were the best she's ever had so obviously true. I definitely recommend trying it. She also said my turkey was the best she's ever had, mostly Gordon Ramsay with a bourbon honey lemon glaze. Admittedly not impartial but I agree with her. It was my first time cooking Thanksgiving dinner even though I do about 98% of the cooking in the house.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

wormil posted:

I didn't want to make mash potatoes because I was making dressing but my kid insisted so I decided to try something different and ferment the potatoes for 3 days. I peeled, cut, and soaked in 3.5% brine for about 36 hours. They were delicious. A sort of funky umami bomb which I enhanced with cream cheese, homemade yogurt, herb butter, and cream.

I am going to have to do this now. Hey Mom, I'll handle the potatoes at Christmas!

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The porchetta turned out pretty drat good,

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 29, 2019

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
The food turned out amazing, we all had a lovely time, and my guy was so happy he was glowing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

dino. posted:

The food turned out amazing, we all had a lovely time, and my guy was so happy he was glowing.

Success!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Deep fried turkey turned out really well.

Big hit of the night was momofuku shortribs that were finished in the deep fry instead of pan sear. Holy poo poo, crispy crust.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey Steve I haven't had cucumber salad in years and forgot that was a thing. What's your recipe? Just a quick pickle you serve immediately?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have no idea what’s the correct recipe. The friend who brought it peeled the cucumbers. I am against this.

My mom would take cucumber slices and toss with vinegar and sugar and krab and that was it. I remember liking that.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Cranberry sauce came good this year.

Didn’t get a good picture of the turkey because there was a little bit of chaos during the cooking. The way I had it placed in the roasting tray somehow left the bottom of the bird undercooked while the rest was all set. Ended up flipping the 27 pound thing over and cooking it rear end-up for another half hour. Breast and dark meat still ended up being pretty juicy, but it messed with my presentation and threw me off.

Anyway, every year I always throw some leftover stuffing in the waffle maker the next morning. Makes a mean egg sandwich!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I made an oven turchetta and despite my best effort to gently caress it up, it came out really good

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Look at this disgusting looking beast:

Sorry I couldn't get aftet pics. I just spaced out.

Turkey came out delicious! Literally the most moist/juicy turkey I've ever made. Skin was crispy meat was perfect. Def recommend a herb mayo spread on the turkey!

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
I made sixty-two sugar cookie cut-outs in the shape of fat cardinals this morning. I have to decorate them all with royal icing still.

Bring on Christmas! :chef:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Sehkmet posted:

I made sixty-two sugar cookie cut-outs in the shape of fat cardinals this morning. I have to decorate them all with royal icing still.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
I can smell that from here.

Also I live in Buffalo, if I was gonna do football cookies it'd be a football going wide right of the uprights. :colbert:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sehkmet posted:

Dip 'em red in liquid fondant and just royal ice the details. Vastly faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

after making thanksgiving with my mom/sister for the last couple years we kinda took the year off so i could work/not worry while i'm back in school and also so we could go visit my grandparents for the weekend, but there's one thing I missed in my soul from our usual dinner and that's a good-rear end stuffing and all of the leftover things you can do with a good-rear end stuffing, so i'm making stuffing for dinner this week. I'm gonna make a roasted stock on Monday and then use Kenji's recipe for the actual stuffing and i'm going to make waffles out of it and no one is going to stop me.